Canning jars in bulk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you buy canning jars in bulk and get a better price?

I know it is theoretically possible to get them cheap at thrift and garage stores, but that is just not going to happen this summer, between the current high demand for jars and my time constraints.

I need a ton or them, and if there is a way to buy in bulk online that would at least help a little.

Or if I ask for a discount for buying a whole case of them at the grocery of Mills Fleet Farm, has anyone had luck with that?

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM

I've never heard of getting a discount, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It would not hurt to at least ask. This was the first year in many that I've had to buy retail because, as you've said, there is greater demand. It's now en vogue to can when years ago it was laughed at. Anything that is popular is going to be more expensive. Usually that translates into the supplier having the upper hand in haggling, but I would not hesitate to find out what you can knock off of the price by buying in bulk.

Have you tried asking of freecycle?

I just happened to hit the mother lode of free canning jars (another thread), but days ago I was in your shoes, so I know what you are thinking.
#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 02:05 PM

I've found my best price for new at Big Lots. Last year I think it was $6.50/pints and $8/quarts. I don't know about this year.

People on another board I visit swear by this place, but I don't know if shipping would make it just as expensive: Fillmore Container - http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/?gc...FQVinAodA3Tn2Q

I'm haunting craigslist, but I'm not going to pay 50 cents (or $1!!!) per used jar!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips ladies.

We massively expanded our garden this year and I need to get started preparing for that. I guess worst case scenario we may have to freeze stuff instead, but I would rather can.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.

User Tag List