Tight Food Budget/Whiney Family - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
chiromamma, you have inspired me so much!

Can you tell us what ages your kids are? I'm wondering at what point we can successfully make this a family activity. I don't want to throw too much at the younger ones before they are ready, though. Mine are 5-10.
Thank you everyone for all the encouragement.
I really have my mom to thank. She and my dad gave us lots of chores when I was growing up. When I got my own apartment at 17, I knew exactly what I had to do to run a household. I know too many teens who go off to college and don't even know how to do laundry. DH called from the office yesterday and said he felt it was one of the best parenting decisions I've made.

DD is 14. DS1 is 12 and DS2 is 7.
#62 of 68 Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 PM

That is wonderful news - it sounds great like everyone is definitely stepping up to the plate. You turned a very bad situation into a good one. Kudos!

I think though, that you can give them some guidelines about what makes a balanced meal and maybe set some parameters around scheduling meals for a week. Maybe once they get this routine down, you could introduce this to them.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#63 of 68 Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post
The only people who ever complain about my food are my parents. They're both excellent cooks and can't imagine having only 4 items on the table. They have 6 - 8 dishes on the table all the time, even for just the two of them. When we visit it's usually 10 - 12, always cooked from scratch and fresh. My dad's meatballs have 10 - 12 fresh ingredients including carrots and asparagus.
Wow! Was it like that when you were little, too? Or is this style of cooking something that your parents have discovered since their kids are grown?
#64 of 68 Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM
mtm

chiromom, keep updating us please, I'm really enjoying hearing about this.
#65 of 68 Old 06-04-2009, 03:08 PM

chiromom
i have been told the same thing with my son by some. at 12 he can cook do laundry (sill working ont the folding lol) cleans, my hope is that by high school i can step back completly and he will have the shills to handle all. i think that is the best thing a parent can do is teach life skills to their kids.
it is awsome they are doing so well
#66 of 68 Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My kids are super duper picky divas these days and I instituted the mama sh*t fit and told them that they WOULD eat what they were given or they could pour themselves a bowl of cereal and get over it. I NEVER make a meal that they all hate. There is always something on the plate for everyone and it's all healthy and delicious. The 1 year old is nursing so I dont' worry about her and the 4 year old and 8 year old are capable of coming up with ideas on meals but choose not to. I will not make chicken nuggets and pizza and mac and cheese every night.: So I make things like soups and chili and beans and rice and eggs and toast and stir fry, etc and they either eat that or cereal that WIC provides. Plain and simple. I'm not a short-order cook.
Oh and our standard rule is that you must clear your plate after the meal and I will deal with any food left in pans. But their own cups and plates are their responsibility because I'm not a maid either. but I'm a mean mama like that.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#67 of 68 Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 PM

I love the update!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#68 of 68 Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so glad things are slowly working out for you... Good luck!

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page