It's June! Lets Get Out of Debt with Dave Ramsey - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
P1ggle, up your price, you're wayyy to cheap right now. I'd put half to the car, half to the computer

Delicateflower, crash our thread anytime, the more the merrier and I agree, don't sell the computer if you're going to hae to buy a laptop anyway.

beansmama, I love extra money like that! Two more weeks:

Contrariety, good start on the midwife fund.

tricia80, woohoo on the overtime.

cymbeline, way to go! Your plan looks great. I needed a higher ef, we did 1500 then 2000.

PluggingAway, you have been doing awesome! That's 116,000 paid off by my count

hollytheteacher, no gentle discipline for you missy, its definitely a spanking. Maybe just a warning since you managed to pay cash but next time if you don't have the money on you, you can't spend it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
Shame on me today...

We went to my church and they were doing this offer where you could get a free 8X10 photo of your family (and a free church directory with everyone's pic) in it.

But then of course, they showed me all the cute poses of my ds and we ended up paying 100.00ish on photos!

I will say however, he is 21 months and we've NEVER had professional pics done so it was about time
I'd say not to do it if you'd asked. If she's almost two and has no pictures professionally see if you can do an exchange with a photographer or save up for it for when she turns two rather than falling victim to *sales* that are really just *marketing.*

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Shame on me today...

We went to my church and they were doing this offer where you could get a free 8X10 photo of your family (and a free church directory with everyone's pic) in it.

But then of course, they showed me all the cute poses of my ds and we ended up paying 100.00ish on photos!

I will say however, he is 21 months and we've NEVER had professional pics done so it was about time

Then, we went to Friendlys for free cone day, but ended up buying some appetizers too for snacks

Guess my snowball won't be as big this month

I promise to try harder! I'm doing really well, this was my first splurge/mishap since I started in March. AND, I used cash, so at least i did NOT add to my debt
They really do suck you in don't they? I HATE when I fall victim to the big bad marketing machine. and trust me, I have. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on track!!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 AM

PA - i am glad to know that i am not the only one with a huge student loan balance... and wonder if it will ever get paid down.. you have given me inspiration....

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
DH has a friend who routinely stalks around outside kiddie kandids when it is slow... they offer to practice on your kids and you get a free 8x10 out of it.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
DH has a friend who routinely stalks around outside kiddie kandids when it is slow... they offer to practice on your kids and you get a free 8x10 out of it.
GREAT idea - only you have to be ready to take home ONLY the 8x10 and not buy wallets, etc.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM

wow, is it june already? ive been mia (which is hard since i just started!) because my sil and nephew moved away this last friday. its sad having them gone and the monitary contribution was nice but omgoodness am i glad to have some peace back in my house.

very close to having baby step 1 done. we are at 850. it will be completed by the end of the month if not sooner. we will be adding $35/week each tuesday, so tomorrow we will be even closer!

im trying to kick dh's butt in gear when it comes to moving. since my sil left that means we dont need as big of a house. yay! 2 bedrooms will definitely suffice, especially since all 4 of us wind up in the same bed at night. haha.

so we are in a nice 3 bedroom right now, huge yard and the things that come with a yard (like a small inflatable pool, lawn mower, etc.) that can be sold. on top of that our winter heating bills last year were $200/mo but the year before that they were $400/mo. friggin oil. i hate heating our house with it. so we never really know how much we are going to have to pay in heat. but this house is drafty as can be and we cant really do anything about it other than the small measures we took like putting in storm windows. the rest of it would cost too much to be practical.

anyhow, im looking at two places. both have laundry on premises which we dont like nearly as much as having it in our house, but im at least willing to swing it. dh does a lot of laundry (he takes care of the majority of it so im more leaning towards how he feels about it than how i do. but i think it wouldnt be a big deal. one place is a 2 bedroom flat with a balcony, which i like, for $750-800 depending on sqft. the problems are the laundry not being in unit (something we can deal with, im sure) and dh has an electronic drum set, so if we were to be on the second floor then we would have to not only find a good place to put the drums where the kids wouldnt get hurt on them, but also find a good time with the people below us because even though they dont make any noise, there is a consistent thumping on the floor from the bass drum.
the other one is 2 bedrooms for $725 or 3 for $800 and both are townhouses. so the drums wouldnt be a problem, but i think there are less on-site laundry facilities and more people. also when we drove by there was a small group of people who looked a bit... well, i wouldnt

and there is moving into an apartment from a house. we rather like not having neighbors attached to us. and we have some good neighbors right now. its a really nice neighborhood. the apartments (they are actually right next to each other) are in a decent neighborhood, too, and they are closer to dh's work, so he would be able to bike there during the summer and take the bus in the winter. that could save a lot of money in gas.

we are paying $1100/mo in rent and of course there is the heating bill for 6 months of the year... in a smaller place i know our heating costs will be much cheaper. not to mention if we did wind up in an upstairs flat... ive lived in one of those on a couple different occasions and it rarely got cold thanks to the people below. (getting too hot, now, thats another story entirely)

what do you guys think? is it worth it to downgrade and live an apartment lifestyle, complete with shared washers/dryers for the extra $300/mo (+ who knows how much extra in the winter) ? i think it is, but i dont know how to convince dh. we live in new england and all our family lives in california. i would like to be able to take a trip back home someday (its been a year and a half now since we were there, my parents havent even met dd and might not be able to for several more months) and i know we would be able to if we spent less money on rent. and we would be able to cut into our debt, save money for a house, all the DR things.

im hoping to tackle our grocery bills soon. on DR's website there is a simple budget calculator and that thing said that we should only be spending about $180/mo on food! omgoodness, i usually spend just under that each week! so we are going to be living very, very simply soon.

dh finally agreed to sit down and redo our budget (we have one, it just isnt really up-to-date anymore with all the changes in the last month) so hopefully we can get completely on board and work it all out.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarae View Post

dh finally agreed to sit down and redo our budget (we have one, it just isnt really up-to-date anymore with all the changes in the last month) so hopefully we can get completely on board and work it all out.
Good luck!!

We sold our home last June on our way to becoming DF ( right before the market REALLY tanked!) and moved into 550ish sqft home out in the country. Id go for the townhouse IMO , that would make it more like a house then an apartment. Can you get your EF done and save up for a portable washer? I bought a Kenmore one used and filled it from the sink ( bucket , or I used plastic line cut from the hardware store) and it drained into the sink. then I hung my clothes up ( you can buy portable clothes lines also...takes some investing but it will save you in laundry mat fees).

You can do it!! keep looking!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 AM

great tips! thank you! ill check into that. i bet i could find something on CL here pretty cheap, too, since we are near a major college town and college kids move away for the summer yay! ill look, though. i have some things i need to sell, just havent gotten to it yet (DR would scold me) but maybe i can use that to buy one with.

two places i really wanted were a scam. both wanted me to send buttloads of money to west africa. thanks, but no thanks. geez. that bums me out. i would have been happy in either. things like that make me want to stop looking, though... i know its silly to get down about it, but i cant help it. we live in the tightest rental market in america and landlords totally take advantage of that... both with high rent and crap maintenance. hopefully ill get my appointments next weekend, though, and we can see if the apartments are decent.

hope for us, please!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 PM

Payday update!

BS3 3 - 6 months emergency fund: $10000/$10000 Done!
BS4 15% of income for retirement: Done
BS5 Not Applicable
BS6 25% saved toward 100% down

FFEF is finished, and I had a little money left over to start the new computer fund! Please move me to BS6!

me, 28 & dh, 32.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8Jane View Post
Payday update!

BS5 Not Applicable

FFEF is finished, and I had a little money left over to start the new computer fund! Please move me to BS6!
: Inspired! Inspired! Inspired! Inspired! Inspired! :

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
I thought this was an interesting post on DR

http://www.four-pillars.ca/2009/06/0...ancial-expert/
I have a lot of the same criticisms of DR, but it's so nice to get the support of this thread, so I post anyway.

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Payday update!

BS5 Not Applicable

Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
I have a lot of the same criticisms of DR, but it's so nice to get the support of this thread, so I post anyway.
Yes, last year when I started reading about DR, I was not interested. Some of what he says, I disagree with. But I loved reading on MDC about how awesome everyone was doing, and I realized that Dave has gotten people motivated to change their lives and that to me is best the investment advice I've heard.

One of the things the article discusses is that DR recommends halting all investments to get out of debt. Yep, but he also says that you want to be out of debt in a short amount to time (i.e. 2 years). It's not about sitting out of mutual funds for 10 years.

me, 28 & dh, 32.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
mtm

stellarae, I'm sorry to hear the apartments were a scam. I like the portable washer idea. Any chance you'd take in a roomate to stay where you are? Its tough to not be able to see your family. DR normally recommends 25 per person, per week but it really varies by region if you can do it or not. Planning out my menu and shopping by the flyers have helped me a ton.

Sarah8Jane, : Congrats!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:

One of the things the article discusses is that DR recommends halting all investments to get out of debt. Yep, but he also says that you want to be out of debt in a short amount to time (i.e. 2 years). It's not about sitting out of mutual funds for 10 years.
He says you can stop it esp if your negative in your account every month or really tight, other wise he doesn't stress that you stop...if your not able to make the house payment and eat then a 401k isnt doing any good IMO.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 PM

Ok ladies.. i am inspired by all of you...

I have a question.. How many of you have been in BS2 for more than 2 yrs.. per my calculations and dave's software i will be done in 2013 which includes all my student loans.. thats with my current income not counting income tax or pay increases...

I remember reading that if you are in BS2 greater than 2 yrs you should start saving for the next steps... am i right??? How do you keep the motivation...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia80 View Post
I have a question.. How many of you have been in BS2 for more than 2 yrs.. per my calculations and dave's software i will be done in 2013 which includes all my student loans.. thats with my current income not counting income tax or pay increases...

I remember reading that if you are in BS2 greater than 2 yrs you should start saving for the next steps... am i right??? How do you keep the motivation...
I will be (more like way over 5 years, lol), but I'm not sure if that would have been true if I was really following his rules to the letter. Our mortgage interest rate is higher than the interest rate on the student loans, car loan, so I have been putting extra towards the mortgage up to the limits due to the closed loan, and then extra after that goes to the strictly "BS2" loans. Therefore, we will be in pseudo-BS2 for a very long time.

As for saving for the next steps, I have an emergency fund which is larger than $1000 but less than fully funded. We aren't saving for retirement yet, unless you count the mandatory contribution to the pension fund that is taken from DHs paycheque which we don't have a choice about anyways. I might start saving for RRSPs next year, after the car loan and my student loan is gone which should be later this year. Not sure yet, but that would be while we still have DH student loan.

Motivation? Well, I lurk this thread, despite me making up my own rules to debt reduction/elimination. Because we have a few large loans instead of a bunch of tiny ones, and because I'm working on more than one loan at a time, I focus on the total debt number coming down, and how much principle I paid off each month, instead of payoff dates for individual loans which are few and far between, and depressing.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 PM

At our current salary, It would take well over two years to get out of debt completely... DH is still a student still working on his bachelor's, while I am a SAHM mom with a bachelors... which means we have a decent amount of student loan debt, which will take quite a while to pay off. I think as soon as we have our CC debt paid off (which is the only other debt we have), we'll actually work on our FFEF and only slightly snowball loan payments, maybe double them. We plan on putting all future tax returns on student loans (after the CC is paid off, anyway) which should put a big dent in them. It's realistic that we will have my student loan paid off in 5 instead of the 10 year repayment plan it's on.

Dh's loans... well... I don't know. We aren't taking out more loans, so that's good. His won't enter repayment for another three years or so, so hopefully we'll be pretty close to having mine paid off and can just slam his real quick, he doesn't/won't have as much as I do.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Ok ladies.. i am inspired by all of you...

Dave's "rule" is if it take you more then 2 years ( that's if you are cutting the budget and working on it intense) or one or two of your loans are really high then you move onto BS3 and then go back to paying them off , saving for retirement est. Esp if they are student loans or a 2nd mortgage. CC's don't go on the back burner though.

I think thats what the book says anyhow. HTH
Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 PM

thanks.. i was thinking about rerenting the book.. i got it from the library and had to return it.. so i couldn't remember... So then would a large student loan go on BS6 if i don't have a mortgage..

Old 06-10-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
thanks.. i was thinking about rerenting the book.. i got it from the library and had to return it.. so i couldn't remember... So then would a large student loan go on BS6 if i don't have a mortgage..
Yes. Dave's rule of thumb is debt/loans of more than half your annual income goes to BS6.

me, 28 & dh, 32.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM

*drums fingers on desk, trying not to be antsy*

Payday tomorrow! : My pay isn't as much as I was hoping, and I have some pricey supplements I have to purchase to keep preggo fatigue at bay... but I'll still be adding *something* to my midwife fund... less than 24 hours to go!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 PM

Our electric bill was lower than expected, so i was able to pay another $46+ on our debt...down to $110 now! I should be getting some money later this week for selling back my books (college) and possibly child support as well...goodbye debt! Hello FFEF:
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Our electric bill was lower than expected, so i was able to pay another $46+ on our debt...down to $110 now! I should be getting some money later this week for selling back my books (college) and possibly child support as well...goodbye debt! Hello FFEF:
So excited for you!!!

I talked to DH's cousin about pay ( this is day 3 of watching). I told her $20 a day , that's $60 a week...I know its low BUT I want her to pay me LOL

SMIL said she watched them last year and she never got paid. :P

I just hope this works out!!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
So excited for you!!!

I talked to DH's cousin about pay ( this is day 3 of watching). I told her $20 a day , that's $60 a week...I know its low BUT I want her to pay me LOL

SMIL said she watched them last year and she never got paid. :P

I just hope this works out!!
Urmm...can you ask her to pay in advance? Many services require that you pay in advance for the coming week.

me, 28 & dh, 32.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Yes. Dave's rule of thumb is debt/loans of more than half your annual income goes to BS6.

Thanks for the info.. then yeah .. student loans are moving to BS6... which means i could be out of BS2 by march 2010... :

Now i will have to rework my ideas.. i was gonna start paying double on student loans after my consolidation loan is paid off...

off to make notes...

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
goooood jooooooob :

Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Urmm...can you ask her to pay in advance? Many services require that you pay in advance for the coming week.
She has till next friday LOL then she will have to find someone else
Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 PM

I got Paid!! :

So excited!! I know its not much , I'm just so relived!

User Tag List