It's June! Lets Get Out of Debt with Dave Ramsey - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 192 Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like some stressful months for some :P hope things get better soon!

I got "tipped" this week for sitting the kids...an extra $20 : ...I have my friends party ( she is getting married) and then after this week my paycheck goes to debt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 192 Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 PM

Thought everyone who has read DR might like this article in the NYT on Long Term Care Insurance - we went over the need for it starting at age 60 in DR plan, although I might go for it earlier than 60 as many I know had health issus after 50 which made them uninsurable (cancer, etc.)

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#183 of 192 Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
He's doing the Thrift Savings Plan, where they invest the money and there's a higher rate of return than with a traditional savings account or something...:
Once you two are on the same page about $$ I *might* look into that if I were you. We found out that TSP is no better deal than many other investments that we've made through our First Command (just who we use, you can use anyone) broker. IF it were matching we'd be on it in an instant, but it's not so it's no better deal than many of the ROTH IRAs/Mutual Funds we've found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I will give myself a pat on the back for this month. Here's hoping July will be a successful month as well!
: Congrats!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#184 of 192 Old 06-27-2009, 06:17 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say hi!

None of our TMMO money last paycheck actually went to our TMMO...instead we bought baby things, nursing bras, etc. etc. Oh, and of course a couple unnecessary things...and went to olive garden...and ate out too much in general! Hey! But we ARE debt free now so a little celebration was in order - plus I'm nearly 37 weeks prego and TIRED. Cooking = my own personal hell right now, lol!

Back on track next payday, though

Oh...and I'm pretty sure we are going to get denied food stamps. It's time to send in that little renewal form and a lot has changed for me (married!), so I'm thinking that we wont get any - or much. Right now we get $355/mo. I do have $260/mo set aside in our budget for groceries, but i have been putting it towards our TMMO steps instead....which means our savings will be a much slower process.

That said, I'm really glad we managed to get debt free, have $1000 in the savings BEFORE the baby arrives (and the food stamps leave)!
#185 of 192 Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 PM

This month has not been going well. Just doing too much spending.
Our vacuum cleaner died, and with 3 cats and a toddler I wanted a really good one so we spent a bit of money on that.
Then we needed to finish our bathroom remodel before the baby comes so that ate up the rest.

But, the good news is nothing went on credit cards and we are still debt free. DH also paid off his chase card so we are now officially off credit cards.

I had hoped to add some extra money to the car payment again this month and maybe able to scrounge up $100 or so. But nothing like what we planned.

here is to July being a less spending month. I will be too preggo to do much but I am not sure if that will = less spending or more since we may eat out a little more and that pesky internet gets me in shopping trouble

Well if nothing else August will be good. I won't be going to the office so no eating lunch out or public transit payments.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#186 of 192 Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Just sat down and did the July budget. We have been holding off on a few things and planned on doing them next month since we will be done with BS3 and feel we can breathe a bit. Well.....we CAN do them, but it leaves me with just one extra dollar in the budget So next month will be a tight month as far as sticking to the budget and not getting off course. There is simply no wiggle room!
#187 of 192 Old 06-28-2009, 11:35 PM

So I haven't posted this month (I think) but we are still on BS3. Doing rather poorly, due to my lack of budget stick-to-itness!

At this point our income is at a standstill for the summer, barring bonusses that haven't come in and a debt the government has owed for almost 1 year now! So we won't be saving any more, but hopefully not overspending this summer--man that is hard to do when we only get to America once a year.

I think I really underbugedted though, so don't really think I will be able to stay in limit--but we will try.

I will keep checking in with these threads and hopefull other people's successes will rub off on me, LOL
#188 of 192 Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 AM

Ugh! I had a talk with DH tonight about penny pitching and getting out of debt. I'm talking about selling off stuff we don't need, reigning in the grocery bill, and cutting out eating out. Then he starts going off about how we should get rid of our health insurance and just stop paying on our mortgage in order to get them to "listen to us" (what exactly he expects them to do is beyond me). Yes, the mortgage sucks, but I'm not willing to go into forclosure when we can still pay it! And no effing way am I getting rid of health insurance with a kid in the house. He so doesn't see the big picture the same way I do! (this isn't the only relationship issue we have, so I'm sure it's colored by all those other problems too.) How do you all get your DHs on the same page?
#189 of 192 Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmama View Post
How do you all get your DHs on the same page?
We took the FPU class. Honestly, hearing it directly from someone besides me made all the difference. Of course, we had an entire therapy session about the class before I could convince Dh to go with me (or rather, the therapist convinced him to give it a try). good luck, I know it's frustrating.

edit to add: Stand your ground. There are so many things I wish I had stood my ground on with Dh and we would have been so much better off financially. Do NOT drop health insurance!!!
#190 of 192 Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
mtm

p1gg1e, glad to hear the job is going well, tips are good!

beansmama, I think a little splurge after bs2 is good, now fill that emergency fund. Good luck with the food stamps.

Pernillep, great job getting everything done with cash! : on paying off the last cc :

Softmama, thanks for the prod, I need to play with my July budget. Holy tight budget Batman, keep us posted.

sarafi good luck on the tight budgetm I hope your govt money comes in soon.

smallmama, good job opening up the conversation. I find with my dh I have to bring it up in a casual way a few times til he's ready to really hear it. For the health insurance, I saw a post, maybe on llnoe.com about the costs of average health mishaps. i want to say broken leg was 3000, etc. I can find it if you want to show it to him. I think the idea of doing FPU or listening to the ttmo cds is a good one.
#191 of 192 Old 06-29-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post

Softmama, thanks for the prod, I need to play with my July budget. Holy tight budget Batman, keep us posted.

It just opened up a bit. I was going to send the three boys to a language camp thats in August, figured I'd pay for it in July, but forgot to read the fine print that said all registrations due by the end of May. Oops. So too bad for the boys (luckily they didn't know about it, so they won't be disappointed) but breathing room and possible extra cash to the HEL for mom and dad
#192 of 192 Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Paid more to my CC

Now I have 6,250 left (was 9,000 in March).

We are going on a trip for the fourth so I wasn't able to snowball quite as much...also DH had to pay for a bunch of stuff for a Bachelor party (he is the best man), but we are still doing well It is amazing to think we have not put ONE thing on our credit card since February! And never will again babyyyy:

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page