Really Cheap Decorating Thread!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*bumping*

My friend had a great idea about cheap art -- along the same lines as the wrapping-fabric-around-canvas idea --only using foam core board, which is often a lot cheaper than canvas. She did it with three different (but coordinating) fabrics and it looks really cute. It looks dimensional because foam core is somewhat thick, but without the expense of canvas. I think I am going to try it

What is everyone else doing?
#62 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
I love threads like this! Right now I'm turning a dresser into a cubbyhole shelf with baskets I already had and some shoe boxes. I'm giving my daughter's dresser a coat of paint I got free at a yardsale. I took the back off an old bookshelf to give it a more modern look. I'm also hotgluing some paint sample chips to the edges of the couch where my kitty ripped it to ribbons. I couldn't afford ribbon or lace right now. I also like to switch stuff from room to room for a new look.
That's a great idea!!

i have an old dresser that I've been wanting to re-purpose. I'm using the drawers as shelves (they're really deep and sturdy).
#63 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 AM

I am still scheming here today! I got a coat rack/shelf that mil gave me but I took off the sticks for coats and using it as a shelf for the bathroom, I had to put some wood putty on and now it needs to be sanded and painted and I have a few odds and ends to put on it for the bathroom along w/ a couple of pics I got at the flea market.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#64 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM

I'm looking for ideas for my office. It's a small bedroom, all white: and really boring. It's got a lot of book shelves in there too since I use it to store half.com investory & homeschooling books.

I want to add some color to it, and made it some place I look forward to going since I work 10+ hours a day in there. I have really next to nothing to work with - no paint or anything. It has one window that is just blinds on it and looks out to the back yard, but it's a higher window so not really a focal point.

Any ideas?
#65 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39516794@N05/?saved=1

Here are some bathroom pics. This is a mix of free and yardsale/fleamarket finds and a bit of paint and hardwork on our parts. The dresser we stripped, oiled and put new knobs on- the shelf is the coatrack from mil- puttied and panted and the pics from a flea market. The sink and faucet are new but we shopped around extensively online to get the best price we could find. The bench I refinished the top just this am as I had got some fabric from mom she was supposd to use for a dress for Lily but never did, it was in the clearance bin at Wal-Mart originally. The mirror is a flea market find. We have been working on this the past 2 years and it is still not all the way finished. The faucet is not hooked up quite yet(supposed to be a b-day gift but dh is running out of time ). The paint on the walls took forever, but I love the way it turned out. This was not supercheap- but reasonable as we took 2 yrs doing it.

Bench- $35-fabric-$1(bought it already painted)
shelf-free- bottles-knick-knacks- maybe $5-10
mirror $20
pics-$12
dresser $85 (not sure the total cost of redoing it) knobs were cheap porcelin- $2 a piecex6=$12

Wanted to add- as I felt bad that it is not super cheap. As mentioned before we had a house fire so everything had to be completely re=done, so this was not a remodel. WE saved a ton of money doing lots of things ourselves, so spent that on other things and I didn't have anything to repurpose.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#66 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupmama View Post
I'm looking for ideas for my office. It's a small bedroom, all white: and really boring. It's got a lot of book shelves in there too since I use it to store half.com investory & homeschooling books.

I want to add some color to it, and made it some place I look forward to going since I work 10+ hours a day in there. I have really next to nothing to work with - no paint or anything. It has one window that is just blinds on it and looks out to the back yard, but it's a higher window so not really a focal point.

Any ideas?
The easiest add for color would be paint- depnds on the budget though. I would look into some cool window treatment you could do if the window is the focal point. Do you have any fabric around for that? Perhaps any old clothes even? Or the ever popular old sheets

#67 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Crunchy Mama,

To paint furniture,sand,sand,sand then use light coats so you don't glob up the carved details.And a small brush on the detailed part will help too.

I love everyone's pics!

The recovered chairs look great!

And Kristine,I love all your free finds!

Right now,I'm working on painting a little cabinet for my daughter.It was free from my MIL.I'm just painting it white but there is a lot going on in my daughter's very small room and it will match the little shelves she has in there.

#68 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
The easiest add for color would be paint- depnds on the budget though. I would look into some cool window treatment you could do if the window is the focal point. Do you have any fabric around for that? Perhaps any old clothes even? Or the ever popular old sheets
Or maybe a quilt or pretty blanket.

Or what about a little "clothes line" on the wall that you could clip pics or artwork to.(maybe post cards?)

Could you make a collage?

A bulletin board that is only for pretty things?

Could you sew some wall art?

#69 of 108 Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

LOVE your bathroom crunchy_mama -- right up my decorating alley lol -- I could never do the stripes though, as I am way too sloppy and ADDish to attempt stripes LOL -- love the color though!!
#70 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Rere thanks for the painting tips! I might try to start the dresser today! Also- I appreciate your tips for the wall art I am going to try and figure out what I can use myself! I got a big picture at goodwill for $3 the thing is huge and hideous, but I am trying to brainstorm how to refashion it and make it work.

I did some other rearranging here today on a big shelf in the dining room and think I finally have it like i want it. It could use a few more this and thats but overall it is good.

JMO- thanks! you know it never occured to me until you said that about the different decorating styles. Yes, I am kind of a country= martha stewart kind of gal- but no teddy bears and nothing in mauve and forest green- I like the shabby chic kind of stuff I guess. although I appreciate a lot of different styles and love seeing them for my own home that is what I do. Regardless of what you do I love seeing homes that mamas have decorated in their own style- even if it is different I get great ideas!

#71 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

JMO- thanks! you know it never occured to me until you said that about the different decorating styles. Yes, I am kind of a country= martha stewart kind of gal- but no teddy bears and nothing in mauve and forest green- I like the shabby chic kind of stuff I guess. although I appreciate a lot of different styles and love seeing them for my own home that is what I do. Regardless of what you do I love seeing homes that mamas have decorated in their own style- even if it is different I get great ideas!
I love that style as well. My home doesn't reflect it as much because we have always just decorated around what we could find/afford, yk? I know you can find some great stuff second-hand and at thrift stores, but when you already have a bunch of stuff, it is hard replacing all the stuff lol -- We are moving more toward that style though, very slowly.

I think my decorating issue too, is that I love lots of different styles depending on the day or who's home I've been looking at or whatever -- so I can't decide on what I want lol

I know I do like comfortable, uncluttered -- I don't like hard lines or like, chrome and black or whatever. I don't like stark -- like a white room with white furniture and no color. Definitely no mauve and forest green and teddy bears So, decorating with what I *don't* like in mind, also helps.

We also live in a tropical environment (FL) so I do like the whole weathered-beach-house type look -- think key west. Not so much pastel wall borders or whatever (shudder lol), think um... you know, bright turquoise , weathered wooden houses with flowing linen curtains and fluffy white duvets on the bed over dark wooden floors, accented with cuban pottery. I kind of dig that style, too.

There are so many ideas I've gotten from looking at mdc mamas' houses, though
#72 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just My Opinion View Post
I love that style as well. My home doesn't reflect it as much because we have always just decorated around what we could find/afford, yk? I know you can find some great stuff second-hand and at thrift stores, but when you already have a bunch of stuff, it is hard replacing all the stuff lol -- We are moving more toward that style though, very slowly.

I think my decorating issue too, is that I love lots of different styles depending on the day or who's home I've been looking at or whatever -- so I can't decide on what I want lol

I know I do like comfortable, uncluttered -- I don't like hard lines or like, chrome and black or whatever. I don't like stark -- like a white room with white furniture and no color. Definitely no mauve and forest green and teddy bears So, decorating with what I *don't* like in mind, also helps.

We also live in a tropical environment (FL) so I do like the whole weathered-beach-house type look -- think key west. Not so much pastel wall borders or whatever (shudder lol), think um... you know, bright turquoise , weathered wooden houses with flowing linen curtains and fluffy white duvets on the bed over dark wooden floors, accented with cuban pottery. I kind of dig that style, too.

There are so many ideas I've gotten from looking at mdc mamas' houses, though
Oh- I totally understand that! When we first got married I had no idea what style I liked and had such a hodge podge because I would see this or that that I liked and none of it went together. Actually, the house burning down was a blessing in a way, because then I got to start over and do it how I wanted. Also, I can be pretty brutal decluttering, as well It has been slow going but I am slowing putting in pieces that I like when I can find them and afford them and I often get decorating things for Christmas and birthdays- I got a nice antique piesafe- (I looked for 1 1/2 years for the exact piece though that would fit and I liked) that I just adore for Christmas 2 yrs back and a big shelf and some pics from my mil.

I have gotten a lot better about deciding what look I want and then looking for things that will fit in that style and just letting it be bare until I can do it how I want. I love looking at Country Living magazine, they have a wide variety of those kind of styles, including the beach look your talking about- which I adore, but just haven't found a place for in my home. It has such a clean and crisp look to it.

It is frustrating though when you get this idea in your head and you cannot get it all together. I have my bedroom done in my head, but I got a lot of work I have to do and then some things I have to find, sigh! It will get there though!

#73 of 108 Old 06-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

Wow, crunchy_mama, I forgot your house burned down (I think you mentioned that in an earlier post) OT, but that must have been so hard for your family!! Did you lose everything? I love the positive spin you've put on it though, regarding decorating --

Yeah, what I find difficult with cheap decorating (though I love cheap decorating, which is why I am here!) is when personal styles change - for example, mine in the last few years with the styles we were talking about -- working with the stuff you already have to help transition to what you love. Anyone know what I mean?

I haven't done anything yet about the back of the couch in this 'family room'. I like the fabric covered panels of foam core idea I mentioned above, but our budget is reaaally tight at the moment - I dunno if dh would be pleased with me spending money on fabric and foam core

Anything I can do with a flat sheet? jk
#74 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 PM

Wow, you all are just the group I am looking for. Anyone have any ideas for this old cabinet and my wobbly chairs? (Cabinet was free and 4 chairs and a round table were $50).

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/IMG_2249.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/IMG_2250.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/IMG_2251.jpg

I was thinking I'd paint the cabinet a bright blue and each door/drawer a different color from my dishes (Fiestaware, wedding gifts). The tabletop would be the same blue, and the chairs each a different color. What color should I do the walls? We just moved in to an apartment, so please excuse the boxes and clutter in the background.

Thank you!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#75 of 108 Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 PM

mmmm.... nerdymom- love the cabinet- good score! Depends on the shade of blue what color I would paint the wall- another nice bright color, like if it was a bright turquoise I might do a bright coral or something like that. I don't know I am not a good visionary I have to get the paint chips and see!!

Painted the bedroom here, did end up having to buy 1 gallon as I had less than I thought. I think I still would have liked a light pink better but I had the green. I got a bedskirt today($4 goodwill), queen size but I cut it in have and then filled in the middle w/ a pink curtain I got at the discount rack and actually it looks kinda cool. Will be posting my dressers for sale and hopefully I can get someone to buy them so I can replace my furniture and would love to get a "new" rug as well, looking for some old mirrors to hang on the opposite wall from the bed. I have some white material I want to kind of use as a canopy of sorts. I don't know I got the ideas in my head I just need to generate some cash

#76 of 108 Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 AM

I am in love with this thread. When we buy a house, I plan on decorating from the thrift store. So much more freedom and ability to create my own personal environment. Plus it saves the environment and it's super cheap.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#77 of 108 Old 06-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Wow, you all are just the group I am looking for. Anyone have any ideas for this old cabinet and my wobbly chairs? (Cabinet was free and 4 chairs and a round table were $50).

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/IMG_2249.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/IMG_2250.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/IMG_2251.jpg

I was thinking I'd paint the cabinet a bright blue and each door/drawer a different color from my dishes (Fiestaware, wedding gifts). The tabletop would be the same blue, and the chairs each a different color. What color should I do the walls? We just moved in to an apartment, so please excuse the boxes and clutter in the background.

Thank you!
Love the cabinet!What about yellow for the walls?

#78 of 108 Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM

Here are some more pics of the kid's room.
Oh, and Luke's room is of course decorated w/ lots of cheap stuff as well- the bed(and covers) and dresser(this was a 70s dresser I striped the veneer off painted and put new handles on it- the bed I painted as well) were given to us. The shelf, table, chair were flea market finds- the diaper dresser was a Craig'sList find. The easel, little table and rugs were gifts for various holidays and b-days. The curtains were from the outlet. The pics above Lily's dresser are from Goodwill ($2 or $3), the alphabet poster free w/ a bookset and other posters I got w/ homeschooling stuff. I have another set of 4 frames I need to put up that have some cut framed puzzles- frames from big lots and the puzzles were a Christmas gift that I let him play w/ until he grew bored.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39516794@N05/

#79 of 108 Old 06-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Crunchy Mama,

Super cute pics!Color really does a lot for a room.Did you decopage the diaper dresser?

#80 of 108 Old 06-23-2009, 02:50 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#81 of 108 Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 AM

I buy sweaters from the thrift stores when they're all just cents each in summers. Most of them are very ugly, but I unravel them for yarn, and knit all kinds of things - felted bowls, throws, placemats, etc. Quilting is another good way to spruce up rooms. Of course, if anyone sews, you can make all kinds of things fairly cheaply: curtains, pillows, etc., all from thrifted or freecycled fabrics.

I also pick wildflowers in the spring and summer. I love wildflowers on the dining table.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#82 of 108 Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Crunchy Mama,

Super cute pics!Color really does a lot for a room.Did you decopage the diaper dresser?
Oh, I guess I wasn't clear- I found the dresser already painted. It is all paint. Man, you should have seen that lady's house that I bought it from she had all kinds of beautiful murals on the wall- she had it painted to look like a tree growing up the wall with leaves and everything coming from the ceiling, now she had some talent!!

#83 of 108 Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

Reviving this thread because I loved all your ideas!

Plus I've been having awesome dumpster diving luck the past few weeks! Check out my blog for pics... I just found two new tables and am so happy :

Here are some pics of other cheap finds.
#84 of 108 Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola_mom View Post
Hi everyone!

Reviving this thread because I loved all your ideas!

Plus I've been having awesome dumpster diving luck the past few weeks! Check out my blog for pics... I just found two new tables and am so happy :

Here are some pics of other cheap finds.
Really nice blog post!I love your pics and I sooo understand how you feel.I love giving new life to things.I have a lamp in my bedroom that my mom originally got more than 30 yrs ago from a funeral parlor that was getting rid of it.It's still going strong.

And here is a little cabinet that I just painted for my daughter's room.I'm not sure where my MIL got it but she gave it to some friends who then gave it to us.

#85 of 108 Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 AM

I love this thread! Our home is furnished and decorated abou 75% second hand (be it thrifted, Ebay or side-of-the-road-finds) and the rest is either crafted by me, or Ikea chic, lol.

I am in the middle and rearranging the living room right now, but when I m finished I will try to post pics.

I have enjoyed these two blogs - I think their budgets are probably bigger than what this thread is describing, but I do find them inspiring.

http://asoftplacetoland-kimba.blogspot.com/

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#86 of 108 Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Cool blog links. I had not heard of either of those. Great ideas.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#87 of 108 Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 PM

I found a great shelf in the alley today!We took a walk to the park and I spied it on the way there.On the way back I made my family go down the alley with me to check it out.And just as I was figuring out how I was going to convince my husband to get the car and go back for it,he picked it up and started carrying it away!:That is so not like him.

My daughter and I washed it off.I think it might need some more scrubbing(what do you all use to wash your garbage picks?)but she was very eager to put it in it's spot and fill it up with toys for the babies we take care of.

Anyone else have anything new going on?

#88 of 108 Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, I guess I wasn't clear- I found the dresser already painted. It is all paint. Man, you should have seen that lady's house that I bought it from she had all kinds of beautiful murals on the wall- she had it painted to look like a tree growing up the wall with leaves and everything coming from the ceiling, now she had some talent!!
Somehow I missed this post.Wow!I can't believe that's paint.I thought for sure it was scrapbook papers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree_hugger View Post
I love this thread! Our home is furnished and decorated abou 75% second hand (be it thrifted, Ebay or side-of-the-road-finds) and the rest is either crafted by me, or Ikea chic, lol.

I am in the middle and rearranging the living room right now, but when I m finished I will try to post pics.

I have enjoyed these two blogs - I think their budgets are probably bigger than what this thread is describing, but I do find them inspiring.

http://asoftplacetoland-kimba.blogspot.com/

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/
Ikea chic...

How is the living room coming?

#89 of 108 Old 07-06-2009, 01:28 AM

This isn't super cheap, but rather than buying curtain rods for my living room I bought plain wood closet rods, two wooden brackets and wood finials. I painted everything myself w/spray paint and got a fancy look for two windows for about $20, compared to $40/each for two curtain rod sets.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#90 of 108 Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 AM

Nothing immediately going on around here. I have some b-day money so I need to see if I can find some dressers for the bedroom. I am also trying to sell the ones I have as well as anything else to make some much needed money.

As to garbage finds- not much experience here! People really don't put stuff like that on the curb- the garbage man won't take it- we live rural here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page