Here's my "new" toy shelf!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
beautiful shelf- what a find!!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Paint! I love it! I've painted several room w/mistints purchased for mere $'s. Also you can paint a drop cloth to make a unique rug. I've repainted many lamps to match decor. Spray paint is easy to use and inexpensive. Oh and ribbon is great. I just redid some lamp shades with a bit of grosgrain ribbon and I love the look, plus when I want to change it, I can just switch out the ribbon color.

http://mylilsliceofpie.blogspot.com/

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM

I was avoiding this forum for a while because I found it all too grim, but in doing so I missed this great thread before! :

I have virtually NO decorating or remodeling budget. DH and I are pretty handy, so we do a lot on our own. Like other people mentioned, my house is decorated with hand-me-downs, secondhand, and garbage finds. In the 9.5 years that DH and I have been married, we've only ever purchased 4 new pieces of furniture, and one of those was DS's crib. My style is sort of shabby chic meets Asian contemporary. Here are some pics on fliker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7615779605774/.

I repaint and refinish furniture, repurpose things, and always look for beautiful "junk" wherever I go. Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I was avoiding this forum for a while because I found it all too grim, but in doing so I missed this great thread before! :
HA!Me too.Infact I found this thread in new posts.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Nice. I also LOVE the cabinet for your daughter. I've seen pics of your home before and I love it. You have a great sense of style.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 AM

I've been doing major thrifting lately. I was super excited when I went to drop off a donation the other day and scored a bunch of decor items + a solid wood folding craft table all for $20. Woo Hoo! I'm in the process of repurposing some furniture pieces. Out of curiosity, folks who've done a lot of furniture do you use a roller, brush or spray paint?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Nice. I also LOVE the cabinet for your daughter. I've seen pics of your home before and I love it. You have a great sense of style.
Thank you!Funny thing is...when I first came to this thread I thought of your son's room.It's soo sweet and I know you put it together for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
I've been doing major thrifting lately. I was super excited when I went to drop off a donation the other day and scored a bunch of decor items + a solid wood folding craft table all for $20. Woo Hoo! I'm in the process of repurposing some furniture pieces. Out of curiosity, folks who've done a lot of furniture do you use a roller, brush or spray paint?
Nice score!

I use a brush.I was thinking spray paint might be a good idea but I just use whatever left over paint we have from painting the walls.However years ago I used spray paint to paint a lamp and a bunch of frames.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:

I have virtually NO decorating or remodeling budget. DH and I are pretty handy, so we do a lot on our own. Like other people mentioned, my house is decorated with hand-me-downs, secondhand, and garbage finds. In the 9.5 years that DH and I have been married, we've only ever purchased 4 new pieces of furniture, and one of those was DS's crib. My style is sort of shabby chic meets Asian contemporary. Here are some pics on fliker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7615779605774/.

I repaint and refinish furniture, repurpose things, and always look for beautiful "junk" wherever I go. Thanks for starting this thread!
Love it! I have a question about your apartment pics. What kind of flooring is in your kitchen and was it painted that colour green to start out with or did you paint it yourself?

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you!Funny thing is...when I first came to this thread I thought of your son's room.It's soo sweet and I know you put it together for nothing!

Nice score!

I use a brush.I was thinking spray paint might be a good idea but I just use whatever left over paint we have from painting the walls.However years ago I used spray paint to paint a lamp and a bunch of frames.
Thanks!

I've used spray paint to do lamps, frames and a few other items in the past, but I've been reading a bunch of blogs where folks use spray paint. I don't know if I'd want to use it for a huge project, but I'm going to try it on this little table I picked up and see how it works. I've always used a brush and latex paints before on furniture and I'll be the first to say I'm not the best painter so maybe spraying will help some.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
Out of curiosity, folks who've done a lot of furniture do you use a roller, brush or spray paint?
I use a high quality enamel paint on furniture with a bristled brush. I spray paint metal lamps. I've also used clear spray acrylic on wood and metal pieces that had interesting old lead paint on them. The spray acrylic seals in the harmful lead paint, while leaving the color and texture preserved.

Quote:
Aw, thanks! Yep, nearly all our furniture and decor is second hand and repurposed. I do what I can with next to nothing because I was a poor graduate student for 9 years, so I know how to stretch a dollar .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
Love it! I have a question about your apartment pics. What kind of flooring is in your kitchen and was it painted that colour green to start out with or did you paint it yourself?
The apartment flooring was ancient avocado green linoleum...not vinyl but real linoleum. When we first moved into the apartment, all the appliances were the same green color and the cabinets were dark brown. It was all very dreary, especially since there was no natural light or windows in that portion of the apartment. One by one the appliances died and were replaced with cheap white ones. Eventually I had it with the nasty cabinets and decided to paint them my favorite colors: green and blue. I didn't want white cabinets because all our walls were white and our contract required us to keep them that way...but there was nothing in it about the cabinets. Our landlord wasn't too please though and we ended up having to paint the cabinets white when we moved out, in order to get our deposit back. But it was totally worth it!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Enjoyed your flickr. I love that your house has so much architectural character. We live in a cookie cutter house in a subdivision so I'm terribly envious of all the builtin and dark wood.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Ok so I'm reviving this thread because I love it and because I got a new old shelf that needs some work.Once upon a time my sister burnt candles on the shelf.So now there is wax and soot(?) on two of the shelves.So after I sand sand sand, do you think I should paint it or leave it natural?

Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Bump!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
Bump!
Glad I'm not the only one who would love to see things added to this thread.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM

Here's a lamp I put together for my daughter for about $3!

The base was a hand me down and the shade came from the thrift store.We had some flowers and got some more on a buy one get one free sale.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 AM

I love this thread! Wow!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:45 AM

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!

User Tag List