Public Assistance...can you transfer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As much as I hate the idea, I can't rule out the possibility of having to move back to St. Louis. It breaks my heart and makes me physically ill, but I have to do what is right for my husband and my kids. What I want in life is out the window now.

Anyway, if we are finally approved for SSI, SSDI, unemployment, Food Stamps etc can these programs be easily transfered to another state when you move? Will there be changes to $$ amount and or services when there is a move?

What else do I need to know about?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 10 Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 AM

I would think you would have to re-apply. Have you asked your state agency, or checked the St. Louis/Missouri assistance website?

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#3 of 10 Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 AM

I don't know the answer, but I would be interested in knowing. We have recently come to need to apply for assistance for the first time and we have also considered moving out of state for a better job market. I wouldn't want to go through the process here and then move by the end of the summer if I had to do the process all over again.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#4 of 10 Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 AM

I would ask both your current and future assistance office and ask for documentation as to the requirements.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 10 Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
As much as I hate the idea, I can't rule out the possibility of having to move back to St. Louis. It breaks my heart and makes me physically ill, but I have to do what is right for my husband and my kids. What I want in life is out the window now.

Anyway, if we are finally approved for SSI, SSDI, unemployment, Food Stamps etc can these programs be easily transfered to another state when you move? Will there be changes to $$ amount and or services when there is a move?

What else do I need to know about?
SSI & SSDI will transfer no problems since those are at the federal level. You will have to notify them for the medicaid/medicare to come from your new state.

Food Stamps will have to be transfered, but if you are in the middle of a certification period your card is good in any state but you will need to reapply in your new state.

Unemployment I *think* is good in any state without transferring the case but I would double check

The dollar amounts for FS & SSI should remain the same unless your state puts state funds with it in which case it could drop some.
#6 of 10 Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
when you get to your knew location just call the 1-800 number and give them your new address and location,new bank acccount it you have direct deposit..When I moved from Michigan to Kentucky 8 years ago I had my son's SSI transferred and it went smoothly...
#7 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post
when you get to your knew location just call the 1-800 number and give them your new address and location,new bank acccount it you have direct deposit..When I moved from Michigan to Kentucky 8 years ago I had my son's SSI transferred and it went smoothly...
But will your benefits change?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#8 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestmama9912 View Post
Unemployment I *think* is good in any state without transferring the case but I would double check
My DH gets unemployment from the state he was employed in, not the state we live in. FWIW.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#9 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 AM

I would definitely call both states and try to figure it out before you move.

A friend told me yesterday that her entire family (her and three girls) lost health insurance when they moved from Kansas to Missouri because the eligibility levels are slightly higher in Kansas.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#10 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
My DH gets unemployment from the state he was employed in, not the state we live in. FWIW.

My husband did too a few years back. We actually filed the claim from the new state.

As for the rest... you really will have to ask the local office of where you want to go.

Resistance is futile Matey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page