I've resorted to Freecycling instead of selling online or through Craigslist - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't had luck through Craigslist (we live rurally and people don't want to come far for little things) and it takes so much time and energy, it isn't worth it unless the item is really big, like our dead car.

I stopped ebaying long ago because of the fees and tighter restrictions. It was good while it lasted.

I'm also not interested in paying to place online ads. The chance of having to eat those fees is just too great. I haven't had luck for awhile trying to sell online. Postage has gone up and people are spending less. I used to have luck selling diapers and slings, but we're done with those things and the things I have left are less compelling. Even on lists I'm on where I'm posting stuff (at no cost) to people I sort of know. The postage cost makes it feel not worth it to people.

I try to offer free stuff to friends first, but even my friends didn't want my good stuff this time, for some reason.

We used to use the swap shop near our house, but they're cracking down on nonresident use, so we can't use it anymore. : Even though we've been super responsible and have used it for 5 years, contributing lots of good things there (and getting some, too, but less than we gave)..

So today I listed a bunch of really nice toys and things on Freecycle. It seems like there are more people using Freecycle than ever. I want to give back - I've gotten some good stuff through people on the list - and assuming I don't get no-shows, it won't be too hard.

I feel like this is the end of an era for me, though, because it signifies for me that trying to resell stuff isn't worth the pittance I might (or might not) get for my efforts. I guess I've crossed that line, or the economy has crossed it for me. So just call me a Freecycle girl now.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 06:17 PM

I can totally relate. Actually, I don't even freecycle anymore because people were so flaky. I bring it all to the salvation army now and it's gone in one trip.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 PM
PJJ

Yes, I agree OP that this is how the wind is blowing.
I am getting close to stopping freecycle due to the flaky folks too.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 PM

I've not had much luck with craigslist or ebay either. We did sell our cars on craigslist, but that is different than selling smaller items, IMHO. I use freecycle and happily I've not had even one no-show here. (But where we lived before no-shows were a chronic problem, and also a couple people who asked for *every*single*thing that was ever posted.)
Old 06-25-2009, 10:30 PM

, I happen to have just moved to a rich area and no one wants my stuff! It's kinda embarrassing. Before I could list a used toothbrush or something ridiculous and there was always someone who wanted it. And not resalers either, but honest to goodness different takers each time. Now we have people giving away tap shoes and $50 batteries for the iRobot vacuums and 150 brick pavers from redoing their front walk, etc etc. It's great but wierd.

I kwym OP about not getting any decent hits of craigslist. I'm thinking I'm going to try to have a yardsale at a friends house, since I'm in an apartment. Even a few dollars would be better than nothing...if not I guess I'll be dumping it all at the goodwill since these dinks and yuppies don't want my excess. :

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 06-26-2009, 04:27 AM

I can relate. I recently moved to a small town 30 miles away from Flagstaff, AZ. Their freecycle listserve gets very little traffic and the one time I posted some excersise equipment on their Craigslist all I got was two scam emails wanting to purchase long distance w/ cashiers checks. I'm really sad these two options are virtually gone for me. In Albuquerque, where I moved from, both CL and FC with totally rocking with deals and it was easy to sell things and give them away. There were times I was low on cash and could drum up a quick $100 in a day selling kitchen gizmos or yard tools. I basically furnished my whole house with items from Freecycle and Craigslist! It sure was fun while it lasted. Sigh. I also feel like this is an end of an era for me.

There is a senior center thrift store here in town and that is where I'll be donating from now on. I can't imagine having a yard sale would be worth it in a town of 3000 - plus I've gotten rid of so much it would be a puny sale anyway.

I'm still doing OK on eBay w/ certain items - particularly sports memorabilia & equipment DH accumulated over the years of various interests. Not making a lot, but enough to warrent the fees and effort....at least for now.

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13

User Tag List