No car insurance and had an accident - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To add to my never-ending financial worries, I borrowed my mother's car 10 days ago, and ended up having a minor accident with it when leaving the parking lot of a grocery store. When it happened I was totally freaked out so I didn't think to take pictures of the damage to the other vehicle; also, I assumed right away that it was my fault since the old couple that came out of the van looked like they were going to pass out.

Now that the dust has settled and that I've taken the time to rethink what happened, I know that there's a very real chance that it wasn't my fault. I was backing out of a spot after having checked my blind spot and my rear view mirror and suddenly there's a black Plymouth Voyager behind me. My mother's bumper had 2 little scratches on it. The Voyager's passenger door however had some very long scratches, as if they'd kept going after I was backing up. And of course, there's a slight dent.

In any case, I get out, ask the people if they're ok and have to break it to them that I don't have insurance. It's not even my own car. I'm so frazzled that I get their number, tell them to call me with the cost of the damages and just drive away.

Fast forward a week later, I get in touch with them and they say that it'll cost nearly 700$ to fix the damage! That's when I start thinking back to the condition of their beat up old Plymouth and I start to wonder if I'm not being taken for a ride. I called them back and asked to see an detailed estimate, which they fax to me a few days later. Lo and behold, the mechanic quoted 225$ to replace the door ENTIRELY along with 150$ to repaint (plus other labor costs)...just to fix a dent on a door? Am I being taken for a ride here??!

I'm really at a loss here because the last time I spoke to these people, they claimed that the car isn't driveable and that they need the entire sum RIGHT AWAY. Obviously I don't have 700$ and I don't have insurance...

Anybody have well thought-out advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 PM

Well, we had a similar incident happen - DH was backing out of our parking spot, and someone came around the corner in our complex really quickly and hit him. You could tell from the angle/location of the damage that the other car hit our car not the other way around but the insurance companies still determined DH was at fault since he was the one entering the main traffic path and the other car had the right of way. It was really frustrating!

So, I wouldn't think you have much to go on regarding who is at fault here, unfortunately.

As for the 2nd, you can ask them to get a second opinion but I think $700 is really reasonable to repair damage to a door especially if it involves deep scratches (through all paint layers) or dents (require pressing out/replacing). The scratches on our bumper from the above-mentioned incident cost about $600 to repair and they were just surface scratches or gouges in the plastic bumper, they didn't have to do any real bodywork other than fill a bit of the bumper.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 PM

It was your mother's car. Her insurance should cover it.

$700 is reasonable for a dent/paint. You could ask them to get two additional quotes and then take the average of the three. It doesn't matter what condition their car was in. You are responsible for fixing the damage done.

I'm puzzled by the idea that the car isn't drivable though; that does sound fishy.

For next time, when backing out of a parking spot, you should physically turn around - not just check the rear-view mirror - the entire.time. you are backing. Or better yet, avoid backing at all, by pulling through the parking space.

me, 28 & dh, 32.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8Jane View Post
It was your mother's car. Her insurance should cover it.

$700 is reasonable for a dent/paint. You could ask them to get two additional quotes and then take the average of the three. It doesn't matter what condition their car was in. You are responsible for fixing the damage done.

I'm puzzled by the idea that the car isn't drivable though; that does sound fishy.

For next time, when backing out of a parking spot, you should physically turn around - not just check the rear-view mirror - the entire.time. you are backing. Or better yet, avoid backing at all, by pulling through the parking space.
I agree with 100% of what pp said. Your mother's insurance should cover this no problem. I would call them asap. And the next time, call the police, even if it's minor. Having a police report filed can relieve a lot of headaches here.

If the door was damaged then it will be cheaper to replace than to fix and repaint. Also that is a STEAL of a deal on the paint job. I worked in the auto industry for some time, and I had a scratch painted, and the employee discount it cost me $100, what would have cost at least double that.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM

Is your mom's car insured? Car insurance is on the vehicle, not the driver. If the car is insured, that insurance is what you use here. However, many policies have a $500-1000 deductible, so it may not be worth it to use the insurance since they may raise her rates (especially since it sounds like an at-fault accident).

$700 sounds pretty reasonable to me too. I put the corner of my car into a pole in a parking lot once and did $1900 worth of damage.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
Is your mom's car insured? Car insurance is on the vehicle, not the driver. If the car is insured, that insurance is what you use here. However, many policies have a $500-1000 deductible, so it may not be worth it to use the insurance since they may raise her rates (especially since it sounds like an at-fault accident).
Deductibles generally only apply for Comp/Collision coverage, not liability. The deductible wouldn't apply unless they needed to get "mom's" car fixed.

me, 28 & dh, 32.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM

Sadly, $700 does seem very reasonable. It doesn't really matter what the rest of the car looked like--you'll pay to replace the part as new.

And absolutely yes--your mom's car insurance covers her vehicle, regardless of who is driving!

Edited to add--if your mom's insurance won't cover it, they may have uninsured motorist insurance on their car.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 PM

$700 is a steal for the damage, and a super bargain for not being cited for driving w/o insurance.
I think the lesson here is if you dont have insurance you dont need to be behind the wheel of a vehicle.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 PM

Your moms car insurance *may* cover this, but it also may not. $700 to repair it sounds totally reasonable. Fixing cars is EXPENSIVE, regardless of how little or how much damage it caused.

Car insurance is for both the car AND the driver. They are *NOT* interchangable - thats why even teenagers who don't own a car *HAVE* to have car insurance on *THEM*. If you don't have insurance DO NOT DRIVE!! Its very, very, very simple.

If I seem pissy about this, its cause' I am - my DH was hit by an uninsured motorist 2 years ago and spent a month in the hospital followed bya month of therapy. His motorcycle was destroyed, and he lost months of work for it. And we got jack. If you don't have insurance ON YOU, THEN DON'T FRIGGING DRIVE A CAR!!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM

$700 sounds really reasonable to me. I rear-ended a guy last year and cracked the front grill of my mini van (just a plastic piece that is removable/replaceable), plus the bumper (again, one fiberglass piece that is replaceable without messing with anything else) and broke one plastic headlamp cover. The cheapest we were quoted was $1900.

Is it against the law to drive w/out insurance on yourself in Canada? If the people you hit decide to go to the police, it could wind up costing you a lot more than $700, IF driving w/out ins. is illegal.

Doesn't sound like you're being taken for a ride to me; I would be really really angry if someone w/out ins. hit me and I was forced to wait for them to pay out of pocket- they really should have called the police and filed a report, but I'm guessing they were shaken up at the time.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 PM

I side swiped a car, he only got one tiny little scratch and it cost $900 to fix.

We got rear ended (bumped med hard) at the McD drive thru and it cost those people $2K to replace our bumper and it only had a little dent and a scratch.

I learned to always call the cops. My insurance flat out told us that if we didnt have a police report they take the other peoples word over ours. mmkay :
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 PM

My brother totalled my mother's car last month. He was unisured but my mother's insurance did pay for it under her "uninsured motorist" policy. She did have to pay the deductible though.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 PM

My brother totalled my mother's car last month. He was unisured but my mother's insurance did pay for it under her "uninsured motorist" policy. She did have to pay the deductible though.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Is it against the law to drive w/out insurance on yourself in Canada?
It is different province to province & Quebec's laws are often different from the rest of Canada.

In Alberta/Saskatchewan yup illegal to drive without insurance. We get car insurance which covers different things depending on the type of insurance you get. In Alberta you have to have insurance on your vehicle before you can get your liscence plate(unless you just switch them on vehicles, but you would be driving illegally).
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
$700 is a steal for the damage, and a super bargain for not being cited for driving w/o insurance.
I think the lesson here is if you dont have insurance you dont need to be behind the wheel of a vehicle.
:
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 AM

As others have said: $700 to fix that damage doesn't sound unreasonable. I had similar damage to my car almost 10 years ago (I scratched the side door on a flower box) and the estimate to simply repaint the door was just about that much (in US dollars). The problem with painting is that they need to repaint MORE than just the door: generally they paint the door and then paint in varying shades down into the old paint on other panels to "blend" the paint job in.

If there was a dent and the surface of the door was compromised in any way, replacing the door is the best option. If they simply "pop" the dent, they've created an avenue for rust. We've had a couple of dents popped (because they were our fault/not an accident and we didn't want to pay out of pocket to have the panel replaced and repainted), and yes, those are the places most susceptible to rust. In an accident situation, almost always the replacement of the panel affected will be recommended.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Car insurance is for both the car AND the driver. They are *NOT* interchangable - thats why even teenagers who don't own a car *HAVE* to have car insurance on *THEM*. If you don't have insurance DO NOT DRIVE!! Its very, very, very simple.
No, teenagers have to have insurance on them because they live in the same house and have daily availability of the car. If they move more than 50 miles away (say for college), the insurance on them can be dropped BUT they can still drive as guest drivers when home over short breaks. Insurance on "guest drivers" is on the car. My dad was pissed as all heck that because my college was only 48 miles away, his car insurance company insisted that I had to remain on the policy, even though I didn't have any access to the car. He actually had to change policies over that one . . . and I was not permitted to drive as a guest driver when home, even though my other siblings were.

Or, at least, that's how it has always worked in Illinois.

In this case, the driver has to contact the mother's insurance. She borrowed the car for ten days, and there are limits on the guest driver coverage. And she's in Canada, so the various US experiences with insurance mean little anyhow
Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input. My mother's insurance will not cover this damage, I've checked.

Further question: if you were the other driver and got hit by someone uninsured, would you accept some kind of payment plan to get reimbursed? I've got debt up to my eyebrows here and I'm paying off several institutions/people at once, so I just can't fork out 700$ to the couple I hit. If they weren't going on about how their car isn't driveable at all because of the damage, I would feel more comfortable saying "Can I pay you back in installments?"
Old 07-01-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Further question: if you were the other driver and got hit by someone uninsured, would you accept some kind of payment plan to get reimbursed? I've got debt up to my eyebrows here and I'm paying off several institutions/people at once, so I just can't fork out 700$ to the couple I hit. If they weren't going on about how their car isn't driveable at all because of the damage, I would feel more comfortable saying "Can I pay you back in installments?"
Personally, I would not accept a "payment plan" from an uninsured person who was at fault and hit me. Honestly, it's not their fault that you 1) Hit them 2) Were driving without insurance 3) Are struggling financially

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM

I would pay them asap. $700 is nothing - especially when you look at what it would cost you if they had a stiff neck, back pain, accident induced stroke, or something like that. At that point they would take you to court, and you might have a 20 year payment plan.

I am not understanding why your Mom's insurance won't cover you - anyone in Ontario have a comment?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
Personally, I would not accept a "payment plan" from an uninsured person who was at fault and hit me. Honestly, it's not their fault that you 1) Hit them 2) Were driving without insurance 3) Are struggling financially
This.

You could contact the repair company and see if they will work with you on payments, but as the other driver I'd expect full and payment and soon. It really doesn't matter how "drivable" their car is, you damaged their car and they want it fixed. Why should they have to wait.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd say put everyone else on hold an dpay them back asap. They may not trust you to pay them back. I wouldn't (just because I personally assume that if someone doesnt have insurance its because they cant afford it, so if they can't afford an insurance payment each month i'd figure i"ll never see my money, if I were in that situation). And if they can't drive it... well, that means they can't go to work, can't get out of the house if they need to see a doctor, grocery shop, etc. I'd make them your top priority because it's not their fault.

They might be up for taking you to court to get their money if necessary. I wouldn't even suggest a payment plan to them. Get insurance on yourself so this never happens again.

Can you take out a small loan to pay them back, then make smaller payments on it till it's paid off?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
If you don't have insurance ON YOU, THEN DON'T FRIGGING DRIVE A CAR!!!!
In the state of WI it is illegal to allow an uninsured driver to drive your vehicle(s).
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
I agree and will say further that you (and they) are very lucky it was just cosmetic to the vehicle(s). If someone had gotten hurt, the price would have been much more.

Please get insurance or don't drive.

(I also agree that backing in to a road or parking area out of a space and a collision occurs basically makes you automatically at fault.)

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Perhaps you can get on your mom's insurance? I'm not sure if there is an age limit for that.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
no. The longer the damage is there the more likely rust & such will settle in causing more damage.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would probably put other people on hold and simply pay this off ASAP. I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting a payment plan in this scenario, though it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Perhaps you can get on your mom's insurance? I'm not sure if there is an age limit for that.
I rec this. I know it doesn't help you in the here and now, but it could really be worth it.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:32 PM

These people may be in a worse financial situation than you. I wouldn't even bring up a payment plan.

I would be very annoyed if someone hit my car and then wanted an installment plan. We just don't have money to loan out like that.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Maybe the laws vary somewhat from state to state, but in OH at least, if your are driving a motor vehicle you MUST have insurance or other proof of financial responsiblity - ie either your uber rich and can easily pay for whatever damage you incur, or you buy insurance. Period. Its illegal to let someone else drive your car if they don't have insurance. So. If you don't have insurance: THEN DON"T FRIGGING DRIVE A CAR! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe the laws vary somewhat from state to state, but in OH at least, if your are driving a motor vehicle you MUST have insurance or other proof of financial responsiblity - ie either your uber rich and can easily pay for whatever damage you incur, or you buy insurance. Period. Its illegal to let someone else drive your car if they don't have insurance. So. If you don't have insurance: THEN DON"T FRIGGING DRIVE A CAR! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!
In general, in the US:

http://www.carinsurancerates.com/ask...he-driver.html

My girlfriend borrowed my car while I was out of town and got in an accident. Will my insurance cover the damage since she was driving?

Someone else is driving your car and has an accident. Who is responsible? Does the driver’s insurance pay for the damages or does your insurance foot the bill? The issue of insurance coverage when driving another person’s car is a common one, but the answer is fairly simple: car insurance follows the vehicle. Said another way, car insurance follows the vehicle first and then the driver. As long as the driver had permission to drive the vehicle, the policy covering the car should pay for any property damage and/or injuries. Read on for a more detailed explanation of when coverage applies.

But yes, it actually appears that IN OHIO, the state insurance laws are different.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/financial_re...quirements.htm

So,

So. If you don't have insurance: THEN DON"T FRIGGING DRIVE A CAR! IN OHIO!!!!

Otherwise, check your state and local laws, and don't make unilateral statements about per-state legalities online.

User Tag List