fly or drive? moving 935 miles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so here's my dilemma--2 year old daughter, 9 year old german shepherd and myself are moving in September. The trusty old Jeep is breaking down more and more (just under 200,000 miles), and needs to be replaced...we'll have a down payment ready for a newer car the day we move away. The jeep gets 15 mpg at present. The drive would take 3 days most likely, with frequent stops for both dd to run about and the dog to have most certain diarrhea because he has a tricky tummy that gets worse with anxiety-which will likely happen whether we take a car or plane. The estimated cost to do the drive (including hotels) is around 500. The estimated cost to fly is around 350 but we would need a rental car for about a week once we're there. The likelihood of the jeep having some type of difficulty on the trip is high. WWYD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
personally, i would fly. even if it cost more to fly. and this is coming from someone who LOVES long drives, and is terrified of airplanes. but, i would fly.
the likelyhood of your jeep having issues is high, and if you're stuck on the side of the road with a toddler, thats, just not a good situation. plus all those frequent stops. a stressed out kid and dog (which would make for a stressed out mama too!)

though i would look into how much it would cost for the dog on the plane.
also, make sure they dont try and charge you for a ticket for DD. some airplanes will tell you its required. (its not)

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#3 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM

I would fly, the drive sounds like it would be a nightmare.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#4 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post
though i would look into how much it would cost for the dog on the plane.
also, make sure they dont try and charge you for a ticket for DD. some airplanes will tell you its required. (its not)
The cutoff is 2 years old, as her daughter is over 2 years old, she will have to buy her a ticket. Only children under 2 years old can be carried on an adults lap.

I would fly I think.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#5 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 02:13 PM

It's more tricky to fly with pets depending on their size and the area you're going to/from (temperature concerns). A GSD would need to go in the cargo hold, so you'd need to make sure you choose a reliable airline (which can be more expensive).

BTW, for the diarrhea I'd suggest getting some (100% pure) canned pumpkin and giving your pup a tablespoon of it 3-4 times a day (the fibre helps with runny poops). Rescue Remedy may be another idea for the anxiety, which I'm guessing will happen no matter how you travel.
#6 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Depending on where you will be moving to, I would sell the jeep at the start and then fly. Maybe that would work out?
#7 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Yeah I was going to ask what happens to your Jeep if you fly?

Wont you have to bring it or sell it first? I doubt you were planning on abandoning it?

If you do drive you can get some pills from the vet to calm your dog down. We had to do this once with a 1300 move with cats.

Is the $350 including the seat for dd (its safer for her to be in a carseat on the plane... plus she is not na infant anymore) and the pet fee? That seems like a really low number for all three of you.

Resistance is futile Matey
#8 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM

I would replace the Jeep and drive the new car there. I've done several long haul moves both driving and flying, with kids and pets and such. Its a tremendous hassle to deal with a rental car, a dog carrier, kids, luggage, car seats, etc. I mean *HUGE.* You have to get to your departure airport, from your arrival airport to the car rental, with all that stuff with you.

For 900 miles, I'd drive. You can stop along the way and it really shouldn't be more than 2 days of driving.
#9 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Have you checked into the cost of a one-way rental car? We've done this several times and the prices have been quite reasonable, especially if we were dropping the car off at a fairly major airport at the end of the trip. (Rental companies like getting cars back to major rental airports).

I'd drive... if you ship the dog you are looking at at least $100 shipping, plus needing an airline-approved kennel if you don't already have one. Check w/ your vet, but I've always given my pets Pepto Bismal and that helps w/ upset tummies. Also, consider doing the bulk of the driving in the afternoon/evening. When dds were young, we used to head out 3PM, drive until about 6:30PM, stop for dinner and to let the dogs out. Then we'd change dds into pjs, put them in the car w/ their bedtime routine (story, song, etc.) and continue driving. They'd go to sleep and we'd get another 4 hours of driving. That usually got us to a hotel late, (11:30PMish), but still able to check-in and get a good night's sleep. We'd ask for late check-out so we could stay in the room until about noon the next day. Then we'd get lunch, find a park for dds and dogs to play and then head out again about 3PM.

But I would not do the above in an iffy vehicle. Either do a rental, or buy the new vehicle before the move.
#10 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM

Also, for the drive or the plane trip, consider getting some sort of set-up for your dd to watch dvds. I used to record my dds' favorite PBS shows and then let them watch those while we drove. There are many cheap(er) portable dvd players now, or you could use a laptop computer. We also found that books on tape worked well. Keep a kiddie entertainment bag on the front passenger seat and dole out "new" activities every-so-often. My kids still remember getting "Trooper Traveler" surprises. I'd stock up on small, cheap books/toys, etc. and at each stop along the way if the kids had been doing a good job during the drive, they'd get a "Trooper Traveler" to entertain them during the next leg of the trip.

Aqua Doodle travel sets are great! I cut up kitchen sponges into shapes, wet them and put them in a ziploc bag. Dds can use them to make all kinds of pictures on the Aqua Doodle board over and over again.
#11 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Yeah I was going to ask what happens to your Jeep if you fly?
leave it behind with family and craigslist, if it still runs--or junk it

Is the $350 including the seat for dd (its safer for her to be in a carseat on the plane... plus she is not na infant anymore) and the pet fee? That seems like a really low number for all three of you.

I just got a ticket for later this month for 112 Rt, assuming of course it's around the same, then a pet fee--kinda why I'm thinking about it now--tix are cheap

yeah, that's about it--
#12 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

op here--thanks for all the advice about the doggie and his tummy! He's got addison's disease--cranks up a bit when he's under stress and usually shows up in his poo, unfortunately, but remedies pretty quickly. We've used pumpkin and whatnot before but it also seems to clear up after his shot, etc. He's due for his monthly here tomorrow and I noticed today the poos were getting a bit loose and he's eating less--always a sign that it's time...fortunately we'll be moving in the early part of the month when the percortin levels are higher...but still, I keep thinking a couple hours on a plane might be easier on him as well as us. DD has gone on a dozen or so plane trips already, but never a long car ride. I'm just weary I guess of being without a vehicle...but at the same time hesitant to take a "new" car on a long trip. Vet tells me he can give him a "little something" to make the air trip okay.

Thanks, everyone, for your tips! I'm really leaning toward flying--
#13 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
Vet tells me he can give him a "little something" to make the air trip okay.
I wouldn't give any sedatives since your dog will need to go in the cargo hold. Many airlines will actually not accept pets who have had medication because it can mess up their heart rate and breathing, and no one will be there to notice it.

If you do choose to use something definitely try it before hand to see the reaction - some sedatives make certain dogs even more anxious so you'd want to avoid that.
#14 of 15 Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 PM
PJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by annekevdbroek View Post
I would replace the Jeep and drive the new car there. I've done several long haul moves both driving and flying, with kids and pets and such. Its a tremendous hassle to deal with a rental car, a dog carrier, kids, luggage, car seats, etc. I mean *HUGE.* You have to get to your departure airport, from your arrival airport to the car rental, with all that stuff with you.

For 900 miles, I'd drive. You can stop along the way and it really shouldn't be more than 2 days of driving.
I was going to suggest most of this, but already said.

It is longer, but flying these days is a PAIN too.

Good luck deciding mama!
#15 of 15 Old 07-05-2009, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well, mommas, I have decided--we will fly..The combined tickets for dd, myself and dog are $360, which is a pretty good bargain. We'll have a rental SUV for about a week until the new-used car is purchased in the new place..We'll be leaving this place around 3 pm for the airport, and then we'll be in the new house by 11 pm the same day. Way better for me than trying to wrangle the kid and dog for at the very least 15 hours of driving and overnights in hotels (that accept huge pooches). Also much less financial risk as we'll be in quite a pickle if the car (current or new) breaks down on the way there. (but I think I might be a bit of a wuss for not wanting to take on the big trip--seems like a potential challenge/adventure)
Now I just have to figure out if the XL kennel is gonna cut it with the airline.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page