Frugal Habits - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 140 Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WE had a frugal 10th anniversary yesterday. Made some nice apple pancakes w/ homemade sausage for breakfast. For the afternoon we went to the free state park and swam at the free beach. We grilled some hamburgers I got on markdown and had some ice tea I made to drink along w/ a vit. water I bought for 50c on sale.

We came home and dh and I made our own supper. Grilled steak and shrimp- w/ a mixed org. baby greens on sale w/ coupon 69c and rice pudding 50c at discount store(for dh). Also- I made a peach cobbler from the pantry and we watched a movie we got off of netflix.

It was a wonderful day and pretty cheap. The steak and shrimp were a splurge for us but at least we saved money cooking them ourselves- we didn't have the upcharge at the restuarant- the tip- expensive drinks and salads and the gas money to get there.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 140 Old 07-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristi96 View Post
I'm nursing my DD instead of spending money on formula and water to mix the formula.
You're also saving on ped visits, antibiotics, asthma meds, diabetes meds, as well as saving her money as a healthier adult!
#63 of 140 Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM
PJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromamma View Post
You're also saving on ped visits, antibiotics, asthma meds, diabetes meds, as well as saving her money as a healthier adult!
You beat me to say the above.

And let's not forget, saving future health care costs too for yourself by making a great lifestyle choice of lactating.

Way to go mama!:
#64 of 140 Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 PM

I did a load of laundry in my sink tonight and hung it up to dry rather than going to the laundromat since my washer died! Now to buy a washboard!!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#65 of 140 Old 07-19-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplespirit View Post
I recycle the water from my basement dehumidifier by pouring it into my watering can and using it in my herb garden.

I totally forgot about that one- DH does this every couple of days (mainly because the full container of water is too darn heavy for me to haul up the basement stairs w/o spilling everywhere!)

I switched to a cheaper cell phone plan today- it should cost about half as much as my current plan. Plus I chose a new phone that will be free after a rebate!

For entertainment today we took a walk in a local forest preserve instead of going to play miniature golf. (Unfortunately, we then went out to dinner, but oh well!)

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#66 of 140 Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yesterday me and DD and my whole family (even my aunt and uncle who are just in town for the week) went and picked raspberries and blueberries at my parents' neighbors' house, in about half an hour we picked about 5 gallons, free. That's not counting the large amount DD just ate off the bushes.
I brought home maybe a gallon and washed and dried most of it to be frozen. I'm hoping DD and I can go back mid-week and pick more. She loves fruit to death and it's great for her perpetual constipation but it can be sooo expensive!

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#67 of 140 Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 AM

DD and I washed the car our front. It seems no one does that anymore! I saved a couple dollars and DD and I got to have fun while "working." I don't think the poor car has had a wash for 9 months.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#68 of 140 Old 07-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I got a playpen and a carseat free from relatives for my dd's growth spurt. They both needed cleaned a lot, but the carseat wasn't expired and has only been used by my sister's dd, so I know it's safe. The playpen is needed for dd to sleep safely at my parent's house because she can't really sleep on a bed (she'll roll off) and if she sleeps on the floor with the boppy she'll get puppy kisses!

Even if I bought the playpen used it would have cost at least ten to fifteen dollars. And I'd never buy a carseat used of course.

We're getting better about grocery shopping. We've been creating a stockpile (we had enough to give to my sister in law during a crisis of her own and still have a pantry full!) We've also been doing better about conserving gas and using the ac less and less.

I've been staying out of stores, a big one! I've also become addicted to swagbucks and finding samples.
#69 of 140 Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
We're getting better about grocery shopping. We've been creating a stockpile (we had enough to give to my sister in law during a crisis of her own and still have a pantry full!) We've also been doing better about conserving gas and using the ac less and less.
We've also gotten better about grocery shopping. We wait until the sale paper comes out, make a list based on the best deals (and items we need) and go shop. Right now we're going once a week (well, except for small items we run out of, but DH picks those up at the base commissary on the way home from work so it's not a gas issue) I'm trying to get enough food frozen so that we don't have to go weekly (money saver all around!) but that's a chore!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#70 of 140 Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM

We can our extra produce and make 'treats,' like salsa and pickled everything - beets, green tomatoes, okra.

It does take a lot of time, but after the initial outlay for jars and pots, it's pretty frugal.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#71 of 140 Old 07-21-2009, 04:40 PM

What advice can you guys give me about making my own stuff? Like salsas and whatnot. I just tossed a big thing of lettuce because it didn't get eaten and I'm scrambling to get use out of the tomato I have left...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#72 of 140 Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 PM

I made cabbage from my parents garden for dinner (even if you would never buy it, its great fresh from the yard!) I am trying to grocery shop less often, but I find myself going out for milk, eggs and cat litter and coming home with more!

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#73 of 140 Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinaquerida View Post
I made cabbage from my parents garden for dinner (even if you would never buy it, its great fresh from the yard!) I am trying to grocery shop less often, but I find myself going out for milk, eggs and cat litter and coming home with more!
Can you estimate how much those items cost and then take cash? When my shopping addiction was at it's peak that was the ONLY way I wouldn't spend money.

Yesterday I cut up an old, worn out tank top and put the pieces in the kitchen rag drawer. I've been using every item possible in the fridge so we don't have to go shopping this week.

#74 of 140 Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM

This is great!!

Today I cycled instead of driving. I went to the library instead of buying some books DH really wanted. We got exercise, hopefully saving some health costs by being fit.
#75 of 140 Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 PM

i think i will have to use cash more. its a pita though because our credit union doesnt have any atms and the brach near us has limited hours. On the plus side, we went to a local, chem free upick and got blueberries, yum! And I donated a bunch of books and clothes. Now to set up at the consignment shop....

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#76 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM

Mad berry pickin' fools over here.

We spent $4 on two flats of strawberries- used an entire $20 book of Project Fresh vouchers (WIC thing), and froze about 8 qts of berries (after we ate the fresh berries as snacks and syrup, shortcake, in cereal and yogurt and popsicles...)

We already have enough strawberry rhubarb jam for the whole year canned.

Now, red raspberries, blueberries, and huckleberries are coming in. We've frozen about 3 qts each of these, and more are coming in every day.

Plus we've got several gallons of rhubarb in the freezer.

All we've spent is the $4, plus about $3 more on ziploc bags. The rhubarb came with the house, the raspberries were a gift from a friend who said they were taking over her yard, the blueberries and the huckleberries are wild. The strawberries were Upick- but we still did the work of picking rather than just spending our vouchers on the more expensive, already-picked-for-you kind.

So we should have enough fruit frozen for a year's worth of crisps, muffins, and smoothies. For $4! I'm stoked.

Let's see, what else...

I made pancake syrup, chocolate syrup, smoothie pops and pudding pops instead of buying sweet treats.

We did eat out today, at the coffee shop at the library, but we made careful choices and brought our water bottles, so we only spent $16 on four people.

We've been burning our scrap wood, so no dump fees.

I found the book I've been wanting to buy at the library. (Where I had $8! in late fees... )

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#77 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 AM

I bought a bike and baby seat off craigslist for $40. I plan on riding it to work on days when I don't work after dark.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#78 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
We watched a movie we borrowed from the library.
We did the same! DS9 season 2. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
I dug through the fridge and freezer to scrounge meals rather than going grocery shopping. I think I can stretch my ends and bits to feed us today and tomorrow.
I did this as well, fried the zucchini that my dp sliced but didn't finish from the other day, and set out the little bit of leftover broccoli salad (everyone could pick which veggie dish they preferred), served leftover rice (reheated), and whipped up a meatloaf from the hamburger meat that dp had left half thawed in the fridge with leftover pizza sauce, bread crumbs, and a tiny bit of onion hanging out in the bottom bin.
#79 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
I have SO many things like this that I've gotten as gifts or door prizes or at school auctions - but often am not organized enough to have them when needed. So I'm working on that!
I found an old binder in the house and stuck the plastic sheets from baseball cards in it, and I keep all my freebies, gift cards, and coupons in there. Works like a charm. I think the baseball card holders were like 10/$1 or something..

I didn't do it today though, this spring I think is when I started it.
#80 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post

DS and I had leftover Broccoli soup that I made the other night. I love having lunch premade like this.
Do you have an easy recipe for this? I was given two huge heads of organic broccoli from one of dp's friends that decided he doesn't like them.. it is either soup or cheesy steamed broccoli..
#81 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
I stayed home and cooked all morning. I made carrot cupcakes (used up some old carrots) with cream cheese frosting (used up some cream cheese approaching its date), "mexican" meatloaf (used up some beef, green peppers & red onion) & browned the rest of the beef for use later.
Can I have the recipe for the cupcakes AND the frosting? I have BOTH of those ingredients as I type!
#82 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 AM

Hi everyone,

I was frugal today by washing the dishes by hand, making a fresh lunch and dinner ( we couldn't have afforded to eat out, but still it is frugal )

The meals were made from the pantry, which kept me from going to the store and wasting gas. I pulled out the shelf stable (and less desirable) milk for breakfast instead of going to the store for fresh milk. We will get the fresh milk next time we go swimming.

We picked figs to make another home canned fig preserves, and will store that one along with the others for this coming winter.

In the next few days, we are going to pick "clean" the fig tree at my parents house, and make fig everything all week and weekend. I'm planning to pick blueberries and peaches at the local Upick and make more blueberry peach preserves, then some plain peach preserves. I'll be canning these preserves in the 126 canning jars I got FREE off of Freecycle last spring.

I will be spending some money in the next few days to get a full water bath canning pot and supplies so that I can put more jars in the canner at one time to process.

We are turning off the AC when we can, and using fans to keep the air moving. Also we are rolling the windows down in the car, unless we are in the heat of the afternoon.

We have a membership (thank you Open Door program) and are using it every day by swimming outside, I'm taking the water aroebics class, the kids are going to start FREE Karate tomarrow (even though we have paid well to take Karate in the past). I'm going to take the FREE yoga class, and we as a family are going to do the Zumba family dance class...all free.

Okay, this is good, and I can't wait to hear more. It's sometimes the little things that make the biggest difference.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#83 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM

I love this thread! I am being frugal today by eating leftovers:

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#84 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Do you have an easy recipe for this? I was given two huge heads of organic broccoli from one of dp's friends that decided he doesn't like them.. it is either soup or cheesy steamed broccoli..
http://www.oprah.com/recipe/omagazin...od_200601_soup

I've been using this recipe for years. I've never used the half and half but it may be even better. I usually put on a spoonful of vegan sour cream or even yogurt in each bowl. My DS loves this soup w some fresh bread. Good luck.
#85 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM

Forgot to add: I used some pork fat I saved (because it felt wasteful to toss it) and made my own lard over the weekend.

#86 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Made enough pesto to last for months using basil from my garden. Also pasting some tomatoes to freeze and use later. Love my garden!

Mama to Paisley (3/07) & Violet (12/10) and wife to my Piggy-love. 
#87 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 04:21 PM

howd ya make your own det?
#88 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 04:37 PM

I usually buy the little watermelons for juicing, but this week the larger ones were cheaper, and when I cut it up, it had a nice thick rind. So I made watermelon rind pickles yesterday, along with strawberry jam.

Then I sat down with a big bowl of tomatoes to skin/slice. The CSA box listing said it should have been 4 pounds... it was over 11. : So I have that simmering on the stove now. I'm going to make some tomato jam and tomato sauce today.

Then I went down to the basement and cleaned out the old food storage. I was out of canning jars, so I pulled 3 cases of canned food that's over 8 years old to dump (in the compost) and wash the jars rather than buying new jars.

Oh, and tonight we're supposed to be bottling beer.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#89 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 04:59 PM

We take tepid showers/baths in the summer. I give the kiddos a bath together instead of 2 separate baths. Bartering vegetables from my garden for craft supplies!

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#90 of 140 Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Homemade yogurt instead of paying 3-4x more for store-bought, same for bread, now looking at what else I can make from scratch...
Bought chai latte mix at TJ's for less than the cost of one at the coffee house. It's not all-natural, it's not healthy, and it's definitely not as frugal as homemade, but it's nearly as quick as the coffee house and much more delicious AND much more frugal!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page