Frugal Habits - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville-rn View Post
I started making our shampoo and conditioner because of all the toxins the store bought variety have, but found that it is a real money saver as well. My DH and I both love how they leave our hair feeling (and he totally made fun of me when I started using them too!).

Tonight I made up pasta and salad instead of getting takeout on my way to work.
How are you making them? sounds interesting.
#122 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 AM

I have started using 1 1/2 pounds of meat in recipes that call for 2 to stretch things. Last night I did this with Chili and also added an extra can of crushed tomatoes and Rotel and we actually have leftovers for today. That never happens when I make chili!

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
#123 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 03:20 PM

I have been rocking on the meal planning and stretching out meals prett darn good lately. Usually for weekend lunches it is a huge struggle to get everything together- I am used to little meals and with dh home it doesn't cut it. However- yesterday and today I planned enough of leftovers for all of us which meant we all had a good meal AND I didn't have to cook. This weekend we are having a bday party as well for the kids- so yesterday we had a crockpot meal for supper which saved me oodles of time and effort as I needed to get things ready.

We are having everyone over for a meal but we are doing it all homemade on the cheap, so I am thrilled aobut that- and it will not have all the nasty stuff in the food. I did splurge on organic strawberries- that was $3 extra dollars for the 2 lbs but worth it considering the high level of pesticides on them.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#124 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 03:23 PM

Oh, and on the home improvement front. We had leftover hardwood flooring from when we built the house dh cut and glued those together like the floor and then cut them to size and used them for our window ledges. The underneath pieces were leftover hardwood as well. Our of 11 windows we only bought sills for 3 but even those used the hardwood- painted for the underpiece. The most prominent one we used a fancy piece of leftover trim for as it was just the right size. We have done a gazillion other home improvement projects but that is the latest. We have been able to do the house MUCH nicer and bigger than otherwise as dh did everything from the plumbing- electric(he is very skilled), painting, trim, etc etc.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#125 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 04:14 PM

subbing

I'm cooking from scratch using my garden fruits and veggies

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#126 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM

We went to a Bday party today. DD made a card for her friend instead of buying one, and we reused a cute gift bag DD had received on her Bday. (I refuse to buy any more wrapping paper)

DD looked beautiful in her "new" party dress that I bought her for $1 at a yard sale. (the lady had a whole table of dresses many with the tags still on for $1 each)

I spent some time this morning dividing the big package of chicken I bought into smaller portions to freeze. (as a vegetarian I hate this! but do it to save money) It's a dollar a pound less for the same chicken in a big package.
#127 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 04:38 PM

#128 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karemore View Post
We went to a Bday party today. DD made a card for her friend instead of buying one, and we reused a cute gift bag DD had received on her Bday. (I refuse to buy any more wrapping paper)
I always reuse gift bags too, and ribbons and tissue paper

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#129 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Habits..

ok- #1 Frugal habit ASKK!!

We went to register our kids at school the other day, and the school two of my sons go to is sponsored by Costco.. they were giving away new backpacks, folders, glue, gluesticks, pencils, and pencil cases.. they gave them to the two I was registering, and then just handed over a couple more for one son that is too little for school and one that attends another school. Costco didn't care as it is our neighborhood school and they had been told to give them to the families of the neighborhood!

The school was also giving away tons of winter gear that had been left in lost and found from last year- we got some kids gloves, mittens, etc.

Today I went on the lookout for some Bento supplies as I am going back to work this week. I picked up a Mr. Bento on craigslist brand new for $35- which is cheap- here they run about $60.. I was looking for accessories at some Asian markets, and found a slightly smaller, same brand one in a little carry bag.. it was a bit dirty (it was the "floor" model), so they gave me 10% off- just for asking.. and actually what dp said, was "this one is a little dirty, is there another one still in the box?" When they said no, it was the last one left, they said they would give him a discount.. It was originally $39- so it wasn't a huge discount, but still worth asking! It only has two inner bowls instead of the Mr. Bento version which has 4- but at least I won't need to wait for the same one to dry after washing in order to pack the lunch for tomorrow!
#130 of 140 Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karemore View Post
I haven't bought wrapping paper in years. I bought a bunch of those cloth wrapping bags in a clearance deal on ebay.. (like $1.50 each or something)? and then I supplemented it with some cloth gift bags I have found at Michael's and at thrift stores.. these I keep within our immediate family.. for people that I doubt will regift the cloth gift bags I have been known to wrap their gifts in a folded scarf or gift card tin.. I was entirely wrapping paper free last Christmas.. It was my goal to see if I could do it on a very limited budget (and my entire budget was for ALL my Christmas shopping- gifts, decor, everything).. and I still made it under budget.. so I was happy and I have a whole box of bags I can reuse next year. I think it helped that I baked cookies and reused cookie tins for gifts like for the mail carrier, kids' teachers, etc.
#131 of 140 Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
How are you making them? sounds interesting.
Shampoo: 1/4 cup castille soap (I use Dr bonners baby mild)
1 cup strong rosemary tea (rosemary from our garden I let steep for 30 min)
2 tbs olive oil
For Conditioner I use 3 tbs of apple cider vienegar per 8 oz water in a spray bottle.

I cant tell you how much I like this concoction. Store bought shampoo used to make my hair so poofy and over conditioned. This leaves my hair clean but textured. Love it.
#132 of 140 Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM

I made a meal plan for the week based on what we have in the pantry. I only need to get 3 or 4 things for 6 meals

obstruct livery vehicles

#133 of 140 Old 08-10-2009, 06:56 PM

I've started turning my dryer to 50 or 60 minutes instead of "heavy drying" which I realized was 80 and I wash all my clothes on 'light" with less soap and a dash of baking soda. I also use vinegar as my water softener because we have such hard water. I love how much it helps and no, it doesn't smell like vinegar when it comes out of the dryer.

With as many loads of clothes as I do, it's bound to add up!!

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
#134 of 140 Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Today, I stopped my husband's laundry (he does his own, but he is no where as frugal as I am): for some reason, he had his whites on the Sanitary cycle (which I only use with the cloth diapers), so I quickly reset it to a more appropriate cycle (less time, less water, less electricity)

-Lined dry cloth dipes.
-we ditched cable altogether and are finding the programs we need via the Internet
-hand wash dishes; use that water to water plants
-if we've gone to the pool, I always freeze our icewater in our reusable water bottles;later, if the bottle water has gotten warm after we've gone to the pool, I dump it on the plants or put it in the dog's water bowl
- knitting sweaters/skirts/legwarmers for this upcoming winter for my daughter by using up a ton of leftover yarn from previous projects! I feel much more proud of these creations because it takes a bit more of my imagination to make them attractive, not just utilitarian
-finally finished my son's baby scrapbook (he's going on two+), but chose to make a considerable effort to use the bits of paper saved from past projects I've created!
#135 of 140 Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM

It is finally sinking into my head from all the reading and learning I'm doing on this board regarding food stockpiling. I am realizing that this is such a frugal concept in food stores at home. Working outside the home presents a challenge as I have alot of different kinds of canned beans such as black, pintos, limas, etc., and blackeyed peas. I do have dried pinto beans and blackeyed peas but those are for the weekends when I have more time. If I stockpile the cans it would cost me a small fortune as they don't go on sale very often. I guess I could make a pot of the dried on the weekends and freeze them? Does cooking and then freezing dried beans work well?
#136 of 140 Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjasmine View Post
It is finally sinking into my head from all the reading and learning I'm doing on this board regarding food stockpiling. I am realizing that this is such a frugal concept in food stores at home. Working outside the home presents a challenge as I have alot of different kinds of canned beans such as black, pintos, limas, etc., and blackeyed peas. I do have dried pinto beans and blackeyed peas but those are for the weekends when I have more time. If I stockpile the cans it would cost me a small fortune as they don't go on sale very often. I guess I could make a pot of the dried on the weekends and freeze them? Does cooking and then freezing dried beans work well?
Yes! The way I freeze them, they come out a bit mushy, but we just had frozen and thawed beans with ham last night. You can treat them sort of like refried beans...great on tortillas with cheese or burritos. But we just ate them straight last night. Mushy or not, they taste YUM!
#137 of 140 Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM

I went through all of the baby wash cloths DS got before he was born...I have over 20 that I never use. (They don't work as well as my hands) So, I decided that I can use them as baby wipes! After this bunch of bought wipes I'll just use the wash clothes instead. Saves like $6 a month!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#138 of 140 Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM

I listed a few things on ebay this morning.

I made a new lining for my purse/bag - it's 10 years old, and has served me so well - it just needed a new lining as the old was ripped.

I've committed to using my fabric and yarn stash before I shop or thrift for more.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#139 of 140 Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post
Yes! The way I freeze them, they come out a bit mushy, but we just had frozen and thawed beans with ham last night. You can treat them sort of like refried beans...great on tortillas with cheese or burritos. But we just ate them straight last night. Mushy or not, they taste YUM!
Yay, thanks mama! I think what I'll do is we can eat them not mushy the first night, then after freezing and reheating we'll just enjoy the mushiness in other recipes, heh.
#140 of 140 Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjasmine View Post
Yay, thanks mama! I think what I'll do is we can eat them not mushy the first night, then after freezing and reheating we'll just enjoy the mushiness in other recipes, heh.
That's what we do...our frozen ones are leftovers from a biiiiig batch that we ate fresh for a few days. When I've got a ham bone, I make a batch worthy of the yumminess of the leftover ham bone rather than our usual little batches.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page