Frugal Habits - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I joined a challenge elsewhere and thought some of you would be interested in it. Just share with us one frugal thing you did today. It can be more if you'd like. Don't worry about repeating someone, and the small and simple things are just fine.

I'm hoping it'll help us choose frugal options and develop money saving habits. We can also pick up new ideas from each other.

My example for today is that I packed a lunch for myself rather than eating in the cafeteria.
#2 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I dug through the fridge and freezer to scrounge meals rather than going grocery shopping. I think I can stretch my ends and bits to feed us today and tomorrow.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#3 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 12:09 PM

We watched a movie we borrowed from the library.
#4 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 12:36 PM

I used half the amount of shampoo, conditioner, and liquid body wash that I would have used before I went "frugal". And I'm still really clean

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#5 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm digging through sales papers and printing coupons so I can combine the maximum amount of savings.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 PM

Made another batch of my own laundry detergent!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#7 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 PM

Clipped coupons while I ate my banana bread for breakfast. Banana bread was made from the 6 lb of slightly brown bananas I got for 99 cents.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#8 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 02:11 PM

ordered secondhand on ebay instead of going to the mall!

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#9 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 04:39 PM

I washed out our refrigerate using homemade cleaning solution rather than buying expensive (and toxic) cleaners from the store.
#10 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
Made another batch of my own laundry detergent!
Is it safe for cloth diapers? And sensitive skin? I'd LOVE to know how you do it!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#11 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 06:24 PM

Painted a bedroom myself instead of hiring it done.

I'll be fixing dinner here tonight despite being really tired from said painting and wanting 'out' food

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#12 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM

I had friends over for a playdate and instead of going out to eat, I made lunch for everyone from leftovers I had in the deep freezer.

Kate~ Mama to two.
#13 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
repurposed some leftover pasta with some garlic and oil and veggies for lunch, did a load of laundry with my own homemade detergent(this recipe ) and then hung it outside to dry, and decided to make my own ice coffee instead of stopping for one on the way home from the pediatrician. also, used child slave labor to empty the kiddie pool and use it to water my plants. they got their clothing soaked and had a blast and the pool was quite empty and the plants' thirst was quenched without extra water from the hose, everyone wins. now i'm at the library using internet instead of having it at home.

by the way, the soap I used was something on sale at whole foods and I do NOT use it on diapers because we use a lot of pockets these days and I worry about build-up. I use it on clothing and towels and everything else, just not diapers and it works great for sensitive skin. diapers we only use dawn or we get recurring stink and build-up issues with our crazy city water.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#14 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 PM

I peeled and cut my own carrots instead of buying baby (save the cleaned skins in the freezer for carrot bread later)
use my peeled and cut carrots to make a lunch for me and my kids while we are at work.
Took my son to his free violin lessons offered from the U of MD's masters prgram where they are studying IQ related to early musicial training (that was a super cool find!!!)
Hung my laundry, a acrobatic feet on my apt drying line slung throught the kitchen.
Watered my tiny terris garden and pick a few of the first baby tomatoes, yum!
After dinner we are off to the library for our fun and free entertainment.

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#15 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 PM

I used a bunch of coupons and saved my family over $30 on items we need and use. Plus I got treats for camping with my coupons-so now we may have to go camping this weekend. Which would also be a frugal thing-especially when we have all the food stuff already.

I am trying to now stay out of the store for most of the month. Except for milk and produce.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#16 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Made two loaves of organic ww bread from wheat berries for a whopping $1 instead of buying two loaves for $10.

Walked to town for errands rather than drive.

Concocted dinner from the freezer, leftovers, and garden instead of making an extra grocery trip. BTW, baked bean burritos sounded gross but tasted quite good.....the wine to polish it off was probably NOT frugal
#17 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM

I cleaned my fridge so that I can actually see what is in there and eat my leftovers instead of letting them rot. I also clipped and organized a whole huge stack of coupons so I can actually use them rather than letting them expire and tossing them.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#18 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 09:36 PM

Much to the littles chagrin, packed a bag of snacks (homemade jerky, fruit, water bottles) so that after I pick up the kiddos from camp/preschool they can't convince me to stop on the way home.

Put the car in neutral (5spd) on every possible downhill and coasted as long as (safely) possible. Commute is 25 miles each way and I pretty much work up a mountain. Since I traded in my Sienna for a Vibe, because of the terrain, I've been averaging 38-40 mpg

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#19 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinaquerida View Post
ordered secondhand on ebay instead of going to the mall!
me too. bought a camera i've been wanting forever...half price on ebay compared to target.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#20 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 PM

I got tags and supplies and started organizing my kids clothes to sell at an upcoming kids consignment sale.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#21 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 PM

Leftovers for dinner.
#22 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Went swimming at our complex's pool instead of spending 8 bucks per adult and 6 bucks per child (yes, even the 6 month old!) for the town pool. And those are the town resident's fees, not the non-resident fees!

And we ate lunch from the fridge and pantry, instead of going out to eat like we are more tempted to do when we have DH home during the day!
#23 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I told DS "no" when he asked to go out for pizza.

I didn't do too much today since I had some dental work done and didn't have much energy for anything else. But on Sunday, I made up a HUGE batch of rice pudding which saves us money on store-bought pudding AND used up the milk before it went bad. I also made up a nice sized batch of brown sugar syrup, instead of buying maple syrup.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#24 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Packed a picnic dinner for the beach instead of getting fast food.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#25 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 PM

Right now I'm taking a break from carefully taping, spackling, sanding and repairing holes in doors and walls, and preparing to repaint doors and cabinets rather than springing for new doors and cabinets. Or hiring it done. Or moving to a newer house.

ETA this really is a habit because I take a few days every summer to repair, patch, touch up and paint furniture/walls as necessary.
#26 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 PM

I baked a loaf of bread from scratch and mixed up cookie dough (we'll bake the cookies tomorrow).
#27 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 PM

I did a few good things today.

Took the kids to free kid entertainment at the library.

Turned in a stack of books that had been cluttering my room to the used bookstore in town. Got two books of cool piano music for my older kids and a really cool art activity book for my youngest. Decluttered AND saved money!

Took the kids to the ice cream store - you may be asking how this is frugal... well, I cleaned out my purse and found a five dollar gift certificate to the local ice cream store! I have SO many things like this that I've gotten as gifts or door prizes or at school auctions - but often am not organized enough to have them when needed. So I'm working on that!
#28 of 140 Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Made two loaves of organic ww bread from wheat berries for a whopping $1 instead of buying two loaves for $10.

Walked to town for errands rather than drive.

Concocted dinner from the freezer, leftovers, and garden instead of making an extra grocery trip. BTW, baked bean burritos sounded gross but tasted quite good.....the wine to polish it off was probably NOT frugal
could you share your bread recipe?
#29 of 140 Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 AM

Took the kids to the Regal Free Family Film Festival movie today (Tues and Wed - free movies, google regal free movies and your city and you can find what theatres in your area offer it) then did two loads of wash with WAY less detergent than the box says and hung them out to dry. Made French toast with bread that was close to death and eggs dp brings home from his chicken-havin' co-worker.
#30 of 140 Old 07-15-2009, 03:09 AM

DH and I got rid of our lovesac and bought smaller less expensive furniture to set up our desktop computer that had been in storage. We sold the lovesac for more than we payed for it (bought it used as well).

I made a batch of vegan tamales last week and froze them - we ate a few today (and yesterday, and the day before that... ).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page