Best place to sell kids clothes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried searching for an answer to this question, but didn't have any luck. We have 10+ rubbermaid bins of girls clothes in our basement, and I'm thinking that it's time to sort through and get rid of some of these clothes. I have been working on decluttering lately, and have realized that these bins are taking up valuable storage space and that we hardly ever remember to look through them when it's time to size up. My idea is to keep 10 outfits in each size (2T-8) and sell/donate the rest. A lot of the clothes are in great condition. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to sell the clothes? I have done the consignment route before, but ended up with very little to show for the VERY nice items I had brought in.

ETA: I am saving some of the clothes because my kids are ages 10.5yrs, 6yrs, and 1.5yrs.

Amanda, mama to my three giggling girls aged 12yrs, 7.5yrs and 3yrs.
#2 of 14 Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM

I know a few people that have had good luck selling stuff on www.gymbofriends.com
#3 of 14 Old 07-21-2009, 01:40 PM

What about craigslist?

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#4 of 14 Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM

The best place in our area is at our mother's club sale - the mother's club holds a sale 2x a year and the member keeps 90% of the sale price (10% goes to pay for the sale setup, etc and then goes to charity).

You might see if you have a club nearby that does something similar.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#5 of 14 Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! I'll have to check out those places. Does anyone sell clothes on ebay? Is it even worth it anymore with all the fees and whatnot?

Amanda, mama to my three giggling girls aged 12yrs, 7.5yrs and 3yrs.
#6 of 14 Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 PM

I have found that anything over 2-3 years old isnt going to bring in much of any thing $$ wise in any econonmy. In this economy used kids clothes arent much of an investment. Even if its gymbo, hannah, lilly etc Possibly try searching ebay for finished auctions to see whats selling if you know the line name, back to school shopping has probably begun .... Resale shops around here tend to pay under $1 per item and are very picky about what they are taking. You may do best selling in lots on craigslist or having a yard sale and advertising back to school clothes etc. Or save yourself alot of time and headache and just donate to goodwill or someplace and get your space back.
#7 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 02:26 AM

First off, you have to sort them out. For us, anything that looks worn or old goes straight to donation. Stained or torn gets recycled or tossed. Solid, decent basics do ok at garage sales and in lots on Craigslist. For the nice outfits that look pretty new and in great condition, I wash and press them and list them on ebay. For a really nice lot of 8 outfits or so I'll still bring in around $100 or more. For nicer stuff that's not *as* nice or in larger groups I'll still do ok but not as well. For anything that doesn't sell, I check with someplace like Children's Orchard, and donate what they don't buy.
#8 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM

Could you arrange to do a children's swap in your area? I've done swaps w/ my mother's groups, but w/ 10 bins of clothes I"d want to do something bigger, maybe at a church or school w/ lots of other parents.

Here's a link I just googled:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4496288_host...hing-swap.html
#9 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Are there any regional consignment sales? We have several each season in our area, all run by different moms groups, churches, etc.

As far as how much money you will get back, don't expect much. Here I pay (and sell) for about $1 an item. Less at garage sales. Slightly more at consignment stores. Strangely, I often end up paying the same for Gymbo, Children's Place, etc as people ask for Target and Walmart clothes. I find I get the most back on craigslist when I sell in lots things that well photographed, priced to move, clean and in good condition.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#10 of 14 Old 07-27-2009, 05:55 AM

We sold some clothes recently at a place by the name of "Once Upon a Child". We were content enough with what they paid for the few items we had. There are locations all over.

http://www.ouac.com/locations.aspx

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#11 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM

I save clothes and sell them at the local twice-around-for-kids-sale - I get 75% of what they sell for there. What doesn't sell there, I take to a series of consignment stores (in order of who pays most-least for stuf ), and whats left after that goes to goodwill.
#12 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 04:18 PM

I'd try a big consignment sale like Just Between Friends, Kid 2 Kid, just google your area and consignment sale and you should be able to find something.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#13 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
I have found that anything over 2-3 years old isnt going to bring in much of any thing $$ wise in any econonmy. In this economy used kids clothes arent much of an investment. Even if its gymbo, hannah, lilly etc Possibly try searching ebay for finished auctions to see whats selling if you know the line name, back to school shopping has probably begun .... Resale shops around here tend to pay under $1 per item and are very picky about what they are taking. You may do best selling in lots on craigslist or having a yard sale and advertising back to school clothes etc. Or save yourself alot of time and headache and just donate to goodwill or someplace and get your space back.
This has been my experience too. Going to the nice resale shop where my mom lives (nice, upscale area) was waste of time.

They offered me so little, I was really shocked at is was all in great condition and high-end, name brand stuff - like a $1 for a 12mo size LLBean snow suit worn once by my son, who wasn't even walking at the time so it literally looked brand new. I donated everything instead.

I have a friend that does well at yard sales but her kids' stuff is super expensive and very gently worn. She lives in an area where yard sales are HUGE attractions and people plan their shopping around the neighborhood yard sale calendars.

Where I am at, the nicest (like new condition, certainly no signs of wear or washed out fabric, really pristine stuff) kids clothing wouldn't bring more than a $1 an item, more like 0.50 per piece.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#14 of 14 Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM

I do a mom's club sale. For the trouble of tagging a bunch of stuff, I bring in $60-$80 (they split the proceeds with you). It's worth it to me. I have had luck with a few nice outfits (Hanna and Boden are quite popular) on ebay but it varies. The chain consignment stores offer an insulting price I agree. I won't go that route. If it's old/worn enough for me not to care what they pay me for it, they won't take it. And if it's nice enough for them to buy it from me, I am too insulted by their price to sell it. I have enjoyed passing those nicer things along to people instead.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page