I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#271 of 285 Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, tomorrow is the first day of school for everyone / Part of me is really happy & part of me is really sad. It's DD2's first day of kindergarten, and she's the last one, sigh.
Other than that, I'm counting down to Sept 3rd (payday & FSday)
Hope everyone's ok...:

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#272 of 285 Old 08-30-2009, 02:02 PM

Yeah , the PS kids here went back last week, but tomorrow is the first day back for college, which means i have a whole new work schedule again. I'm thinking I have to change it around AGAIN, cause I need to schedule time to homeschool the kids if, y'know, I'm actually homeschooling them :

I have to gather up paperwork for the HHSC office to get my medicaid/foodstamps operational--haven't done that yet. I have two or three jobs in mind to apply for--haven't done it. I should have gone to the library ages ago to get some books for the kids' schooling (Ambleside is what i'm attempting to do--CM-inspired free curric)--you guessed it, haven't done that either.

On top of that, I have about 3 hours worth of work to get done TODAY, and since I can't get ahold of my stupid college counselor, I guess I have no choice but to suck it up, read that horrible text, and try to cobble together my week 1 assignments by tomorrow night :

So, my mother is really helping us financially, and she's really sweet for the most part, but sometimes she says things that show she really doesn't get what I'm doing with my life at all. :

I went to visit her last night, and we were talking about the declining state of my DH's health, how I'm worried about him, and how it's frustrating to not know if he can handle keeping a job once he finally finds one. Our financial stress is really second to stress about DH's health, yk? She asked me, "If you had truly realized the extend of his health problems, would you have went ahead with this marriage?"

I was really shocked. I said, "Of course--I love him, and whatever happened to 'in sickness and in death' anyway?" She went on about how a marriage is supposed to be a partnership and I should be able to rely on my DH for a stable income, security, etc... She dropped it, and so did I (yay for finally learning how to get along--LOL!)...but it's still eating at me that she thinks that way--that I basically would be better off without him. Do other people think that way too?? Maybe I'm too much of a romantic....?

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#273 of 285 Old 08-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
I went to visit her last night, and we were talking about the declining state of my DH's health, how I'm worried about him, and how it's frustrating to not know if he can handle keeping a job once he finally finds one. Our financial stress is really second to stress about DH's health, yk? She asked me, "If you had truly realized the extend of his health problems, would you have went ahead with this marriage?"

I was really shocked. I said, "Of course--I love him, and whatever happened to 'in sickness and in death' anyway?" She went on about how a marriage is supposed to be a partnership and I should be able to rely on my DH for a stable income, security, etc... She dropped it, and so did I (yay for finally learning how to get along--LOL!)...but it's still eating at me that she thinks that way--that I basically would be better off without him. Do other people think that way too?? Maybe I'm too much of a romantic....?
Wow! Hugs to you for not freaking out! I don't think you can even think about the "what ifs" in this situation. If it was the other way around, I'm sure your mother would want him sticking by you.

I'm having some issues today. I am going through all of DDs old clothes and dividing them up. I wanted to donate the old ones to the shelter, but now we are so broke, I'm thinking of trying to sell them. Even 5 bucks would help at this point. It really sucks because I want to pass them on to other women who could use them, especially since we were given some clothes for the winter already.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#274 of 285 Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
Yeah , the PS kids here went back last week, but tomorrow is the first day back for college, which means i have a whole new work schedule again. I'm thinking I have to change it around AGAIN, cause I need to schedule time to homeschool the kids if, y'know, I'm actually homeschooling them :

I have to gather up paperwork for the HHSC office to get my medicaid/foodstamps operational--haven't done that yet. I have two or three jobs in mind to apply for--haven't done it. I should have gone to the library ages ago to get some books for the kids' schooling (Ambleside is what i'm attempting to do--CM-inspired free curric)--you guessed it, haven't done that either.

On top of that, I have about 3 hours worth of work to get done TODAY, and since I can't get ahold of my stupid college counselor, I guess I have no choice but to suck it up, read that horrible text, and try to cobble together my week 1 assignments by tomorrow night :

So, my mother is really helping us financially, and she's really sweet for the most part, but sometimes she says things that show she really doesn't get what I'm doing with my life at all. :

I start school tomorrow too.. and I am pretty nervous about leaving 9 week old DS and 2 yo DS with gramma for 3 1/2 hours. I hate pumping!

Sorry about your mom's comments.. I hope she meant well, and just wanted to make sure you are comfortable with your decision to marry him If I had a daughter in your situation, I would probably ask her the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
I'm having some issues today. I am going through all of DDs old clothes and dividing them up. I wanted to donate the old ones to the shelter, but now we are so broke, I'm thinking of trying to sell them. Even 5 bucks would help at this point. It really sucks because I want to pass them on to other women who could use them, especially since we were given some clothes for the winter already.
Maybe you can have a yard sale to make a little extra $$ and you can also donate the rest that doesn't sell?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#275 of 285 Old 08-30-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about your mother's hurtful words, Krystal. She probably did not mean it like that.
Wow you all start school early! The PS here started Thursday, but the colleges around here don't start til late September. I start on Sept 21st. My kids don't start Montessori until October 1st because I would have had to pay for the whole month for them to go a week and a half this month. So, the grandparents are watching them I think 7 or 8 days for 3-4 hours and I save $1000 for childcare!

For those of you who have gotten student loans, do you think I should apply now, or wait until the point at which I would need them?

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#276 of 285 Old 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

here is a pic of my tat
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=18413954
and another
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=18413955
Still not totally healed yet, but getting there.
here is a pic of our huge tomato plants
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=18413936

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#277 of 285 Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 PM

I love your tatoo, Natural_mama89!!!! (and your tomato plants )
My tomato plant fell off of my porch (I live on the 2nd floor) during one of our rain storms

#278 of 285 Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Unfortunately, our beautiful tomato plants are showing early signs of blight, some leaves are jut yellowing and there have been a few brown dead ones. I have been pulling off all the affected leaves. I am really sad that we may not get any ripe tomatoes. Uggg, wee our garden did turn out prett well or a first attempt.

#279 of 285 Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 AM

Well, everyone's officially in school cry
Had a little bit of drama with DS2 (didn't want to get out of the car) Ended up "threatening" to walk him into school so he would go eyeroll hahaha
And DD2's bus came 10 minutes early, had to do a mad dash down the hill to catch it. Luckily, she was all ready (shoes, backpack, etc)
I miss them cry

#280 of 285 Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM

Oh my goodness! I didn't realize what a fast moving thread this was! I'll have to try my best but sorry I'm not so good at these, giving it a fair go... be patient while I learn who you all are to respond more individually!

So, I can't even remember where I left off. No more nasty foreclosure letters-yet. I ran around and applied to at least half a dozen fast food jobs and am quite reluctant to continue to pursue them (THIS is where my college degree with honors got me?!?!) uuug

I also have a major dental emergency (I think #12 -top left incisor) has halfway died, cracked and is doing some nerve stuff. Now it's hard to eat, even eggs which you can kind of mush up with your tongue I applied and was turned down for all the financing the local dentists accept and the next best thing is a clinic about 30min away that does about 50%off if you qualify. Anyhow having two little ones and very little sleep (pain woke me up around 4am) and pain somewhere between 8-10 on the 1-10 scale is trying me today.

When stuff like this happens I get really : at the lack of options out there for the uninsured... sometimes I would feel better off ANYWHERE but the US!

Anyhow with the university in session again I start work today, so that's an extra little bit here or there (when the check FINALLY goes through... seems to take 4-6 weeks )

Anyhow hang in there love and to those that need them...

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#281 of 285 Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

September thread
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5#post14313455

#282 of 285 Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
Oh my goodness! I didn't realize what a fast moving thread this was! I'll have to try my best but sorry I'm not so good at these, giving it a fair go... be patient while I learn who you all are to respond more individually!

So, I can't even remember where I left off. No more nasty foreclosure letters-yet. I ran around and applied to at least half a dozen fast food jobs and am quite reluctant to continue to pursue them (THIS is where my college degree with honors got me?!?!) uuug

I also have a major dental emergency (I think #12 -top left incisor) has halfway died, cracked and is doing some nerve stuff. Now it's hard to eat, even eggs which you can kind of mush up with your tongue I applied and was turned down for all the financing the local dentists accept and the next best thing is a clinic about 30min away that does about 50%off if you qualify. Anyhow having two little ones and very little sleep (pain woke me up around 4am) and pain somewhere between 8-10 on the 1-10 scale is trying me today.

When stuff like this happens I get really : at the lack of options out there for the uninsured... sometimes I would feel better off ANYWHERE but the US!

Anyhow with the university in session again I start work today, so that's an extra little bit here or there (when the check FINALLY goes through... seems to take 4-6 weeks )

Anyhow hang in there love and to those that need them...
I agree with the Dental woes. Is there a dental school near you? or a university with dental?????
#283 of 285 Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM

there are a few in TX, but none near me. I did find a community dental clinic about 30 min from here that operates on a sliding scale (which will probably run about the same as the big Dental schools). I have to show proof of income and our printer is out of ink... I'll have to see what I can get done by shaking or changing my color scale somehow to make the suckers print.

I'll be heading to the 1pm walk-in and bracing myself for extraction. I figure that will probably be the cheapest way to deal with it I'm not functioning well on the pain and that's after 800mg ibuprofen ever six hours- but at least that allows me to sleep and suck down a little yogurt. Wish me luck.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#284 of 285 Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Good luck with your appointment and I hope it goes well. I definitely feel for you.. I desperately need dental work too but the only place around me that accepts medicaid is through the county dental clinic, and I've heard terrible things about it. Supposedly there's a 6+ month waiting list and the dentists there will only do fillings and extractions... no 'cosmetic' anything. One of my front teeth needs a replacement crown, but if I go there they'll just take it out instead and I don't fancy going around with a missing tooth so I've been avoiding going there..

autismribbon.gif

#285 of 285 Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

hey guys. I couple posts back i linked the new September thread. Come on over!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page