I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Reading over that, I sound like I'm complaining (well I am a little) but I don't mind back to school shopping. I just wish something else didn't have to go unpaid to do it.
I know how that feels, mama. You wil work out something. Us poor mamas are crafty like that. If you have one of the big box office supply stores near you, a lot of those are offering some deals on notebooks, crayons, etc.
#122 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Yeah, we're letting our utilities ride this paycheck. The water bill and the electric bill will be three and one days late, respectively, and each one will charge us a $3 late fee, but that's a lot cheaper than not paying our property taxes late (at 1% a day) or not paying our car insurance (possible tickets/repossesion).

I hate that both car insurance AND property taxes are due in September.
Oh, well. Once the students come back to class, DH will get some overtime, and he gets three checks in October, so that will help a lot. But until then, we're eating WIC food, garden produce and beans and rice.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#123 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Yeah, we're letting our utilities ride this paycheck. The water bill and the electric bill will be three and one days late, respectively, and each one will charge us a $3 late fee, but that's a lot cheaper than not paying our property taxes late (at 1% a day) or not paying our car insurance (possible tickets/repossesion).

I hate that both car insurance AND property taxes are due in September.
Oh, well. Once the students come back to class, DH will get some overtime, and he gets three checks in October, so that will help a lot. But until then, we're eating WIC food, garden produce and beans and rice.
do you pay your car insurance bi-yearly or quarterly? I've always done monthly and it seems much less tramatic that way. Although my property taxes are paid monthly as part of my mortgage I understand how paying them yearly or bi-yearly can be a real pain. Growing up, I always remember property tax time being very stressful for my mom. My mom also worked for the school and up until just last year she had to take her paycheck over a 10 month period instead of spreading them over all 12. If she did 12 she wouldn't have enough to live on so she did 10 then took a summer job. Hard to get hired for only 2 months at any office sort of jobs so she usually ended up working on the summer maintence crew for the school or some other kind of labor job. That meant 10 hour days, working in the sun for minimum wage with a bunch of college age men. I definatly appreciate what my mom did all those years!

hey, and nothing wrong with good ol beans and rice! The most common dinner I make is one box flavored rice roni, 2 servings plain brown rice, a can of beans, frozen veggies, all mixed together with some monteray jack wic cheese grated and melted in. Manages to mostly fill dh, dd, and I up. If we're feeling extra hungry I scramble up a couple wic eggs and throw those into the pot too!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#124 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 04:09 PM

My DH's work contract is up on Sept. 30th, and I have no idea what he will do after that. He puts out at least 5-10 resumes every day and hasn't gotten a single reply yet. We've been playing catch up and living completely pay check to pay check, with no savings (because there is nothing left over to save).

I have a newborn and going to school 3/4 time, so getting a full time job for me is not feasible for us at the moment.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#125 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
do you pay your car insurance bi-yearly or quarterly? I've always done monthly and it seems much less tramatic that way. Although my property taxes are paid monthly as part of my mortgage I understand how paying them yearly or bi-yearly can be a real pain. Growing up, I always remember property tax time being very stressful for my mom. My mom also worked for the school and up until just last year she had to take her paycheck over a 10 month period instead of spreading them over all 12. If she did 12 she wouldn't have enough to live on so she did 10 then took a summer job. Hard to get hired for only 2 months at any office sort of jobs so she usually ended up working on the summer maintence crew for the school or some other kind of labor job. That meant 10 hour days, working in the sun for minimum wage with a bunch of college age men. I definatly appreciate what my mom did all those years!

hey, and nothing wrong with good ol beans and rice! The most common dinner I make is one box flavored rice roni, 2 servings plain brown rice, a can of beans, frozen veggies, all mixed together with some monteray jack wic cheese grated and melted in. Manages to mostly fill dh, dd, and I up. If we're feeling extra hungry I scramble up a couple wic eggs and throw those into the pot too!
Ya do whatcha gotta do mamas!!! I am really hoping I can make some money here soon from my Etsy shop. My friend gave me another tattoo last night (for free) so no donating plasma for me for a while! I will have DP take a pic when he wakes up as he doesn't feel well. A friend and I are splitting the cost of the produce box I get and I'm going to get it once a week instead of every other like I was. This helps us both out because I get a discount with my ebt, so she pays less than she would if she got her own account, and I will have $60 extra per month ($15 a week)!

And Tracy, : nudge nudge. h, and go YOUR MOM!!!!!! Its amazing that she did that to support her family.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#126 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
And Tracy, : nudge nudge. h, and go YOUR MOM!!!!!! Its amazing that she did that to support her family.
ok, so the clothes and whatnot... what is a good time for you? what area of town r u in (pm me if you don't want to advertise that)? tomorrow I'm doing squat so far. mon tues wed i'm busy. mon and tues are dh's days off (if he can afford to take them off that is) and wed i have to be here all day for a schwans drop off. Thanks to an mdc thread I got $10 free schwans via promotion! thursday and fri are free so far also. up to you. let me know!

#127 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 06:15 PM

does anyone here supplement their income with paid disibility? I might just qualify for it and a few extra bucks a month really couldn't hurt right now. I have no idea how to go about it though... not to mention that I haven't worked a regular job since I was 20... I'm now 25.

#128 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Naturalmama, please consider editing that post. Having anyone purchase food stamps is very highly illegal and considered fraud, which they will prosecute.

QUOTE=natural_mama89;14239708]Ya do whatcha gotta do mamas!!! I am really hoping I can make some money here soon from my Etsy shop. My friend gave me another tattoo last night (for free) so no donating plasma for me for a while! I will have DP take a pic when he wakes up as he doesn't feel well. A friend and I are splitting the cost of the produce box I get and I'm going to get it once a week instead of every other like I was. This helps us both out because I get a discount with my ebt, so she pays less than she would if she got her own account, and I will have $60 extra per month ($15 a week)! I think I may try and get the kiddos grandparents to regularly buy some of my FS from me. Oh terrible, irresponsible poor mama I am .

And Tracy, : nudge nudge. h, and go YOUR MOM!!!!!! Its amazing that she did that to support her family.[/QUOTE]
#129 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
does anyone here supplement their income with paid disibility? I might just qualify for it and a few extra bucks a month really couldn't hurt right now. I have no idea how to go about it though... not to mention that I haven't worked a regular job since I was 20... I'm now 25.
I'm getting help applying for it through DSHS. You can ask a worker there to help you, (if you recieve any state benefits) or you can go to the Social Security website. Can't remember off the top of my head. Just Google "social security disability."
#130 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks to an mdc thread I got $10 free schwans via promotion! thursday and fri are free so far also. up to you. let me know!
We got ours yesterday (Free $10 one) and no hassels from the delivery guy! I signed up my lil sis and her gf too because they just moved back and are super poor until they start working again (Monday).

We are lucky that my MIL spoils my kiddos too much.. she just bought Seb 2 new pairs of shoes yesterday (she didn't even tell us she was going to, she took him to the store while we were on our date).

I need to sell my old text books and cloth diapers that Oli has grown out of.. then maybe I can start Xmas shopping soon with the paypal money

#131 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barky586 View Post
Naturalmama, please consider editing that post. Having anyone purchase food stamps is very highly illegal and considered fraud, which they will prosecute.

QUOTE=natural_mama89;14239708]Ya do whatcha gotta do mamas!!! I am really hoping I can make some money here soon from my Etsy shop. My friend gave me another tattoo last night (for free) so no donating plasma for me for a while! I will have DP take a pic when he wakes up as he doesn't feel well. A friend and I are splitting the cost of the produce box I get and I'm going to get it once a week instead of every other like I was. This helps us both out because I get a discount with my ebt, so she pays less than she would if she got her own account, and I will have $60 extra per month ($15 a week)! I think I may try and get the kiddos grandparents to regularly buy some of my FS from me. Oh terrible, irresponsible poor mama I am .

[/QUOTE]

I said that I might, not that I am for the record, and it was mostly a joke because of the thread I referred to earlier. I have avoided it because it does feel wrong to me, but things are just going to be so difficult and I know a LOT of people who have done it and the system is so screwed I don't blame them. Also, I don't believe it is anymore illegal than the "borrowing" FS from somebody for food and paying them back later, or than giving someone else you WIC foods, which people on here have mentioned (not this thread, but MDC) though I may be wrong. I did edit the post. Sorry if I offended anyone. Also, please do not post on here for the sole purpose of telling people what they should do. This is a support thread, don't turn it into another poor people bashing one, please.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#132 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Did anyone need those newborn cloth dipes? Anyone know anyone who wants them? I really don't want them to just sit around and deteriorate because I can't find anyone who wants them.

#133 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Did anyone need those newborn cloth dipes? Anyone know anyone who wants them? I really don't want them to just sit around and deteriorate because I can't find anyone who wants them.
I bought them all off diaperswappers, and going to put them back on there for sale

#134 of 285 Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have posted on diaperswappers and craigslist and manged to sell some of them, but not all. Usually people are interested in only certain brands or types. I suppose I could try one more time and reduce the prices, though I asked for pretty low prices to begin with. I would post them FFS, but I thought on this thread I might have found someone who is really in need and that is why I asked.

#135 of 285 Old 08-16-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Ya do whatcha gotta do mamas!!! I am really hoping I can make some money here soon from my Etsy shop. My friend gave me another tattoo last night (for free) so no donating plasma for me for a while! I will have DP take a pic when he wakes up as he doesn't feel well. A friend and I are splitting the cost of the produce box I get and I'm going to get it once a week instead of every other like I was. This helps us both out because I get a discount with my ebt, so she pays less than she would if she got her own account, and I will have $60 extra per month ($15 a week)!

Wonderful you have got a tattoo artist friend, I would so love one of those!!! I have this horrible tattoo that I am wanting to get rid of, ideally by just placing a nicer one over it. I have even considered DIY removal methods cause I have no money for tattoos right now.

Are there any international moms selling on etsy? I would love to sell on etsy (or there is this thing called dawanda as well) but, not having a paypal account, I am not sure if that is an option at all. Most online jobs seem to require paypal accounts these days. (I can opened a paypal account, but i can not link it to my bank account - long story related to international sanctions in the country we live in )

Oh, we spent a great day at the beach yesterday. We did lots of fun things and it didn't cost a dime. Yay! :

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#136 of 285 Old 08-16-2009, 09:57 AM

Happy Sunday, all
At least next week is Tax Free week : so that will help
Hope everyone has a good day, and a great week

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#137 of 285 Old 08-16-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Wonderful you have got a tattoo artist friend, I would so love one of those!!! I have this horrible tattoo that I am wanting to get rid of, ideally by just placing a nicer one over it. I have even considered DIY removal methods cause I have no money for tattoos right now.

Are there any international moms selling on etsy? I would love to sell on etsy (or there is this thing called dawanda as well) but, not having a paypal account, I am not sure if that is an option at all. Most online jobs seem to require paypal accounts these days. (I can opened a paypal account, but i can not link it to my bank account - long story related to international sanctions in the country we live in )

Oh, we spent a great day at the beach yesterday. We did lots of fun things and it didn't cost a dime. Yay! :
Yeah I my tattoo artist friend! He does such a nice job too. I was not aware that there were any DIY tattoo removal methods. That is interesting. I have no idea about the etsy stuff. Sorry.

Hope all the mamas are doing well this morning! I have been doing some cleaning/organizing as well as working on an awesome bustle skirt of burgundy and black velvet! I am soooooo happy that my sewing machine is fixed.

#138 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 02:49 AM

How is everyone this eve? I went to Goodwill today and got my 6yo DD a pair of sweats, and two long sleeved shirts. It is getting cool here already some days, and she has been growing like a weed, so she had hardly any Fall clothes that fit. I was glad to be able to do that for her. Luckily my younger DD has a bunch of older DDs hand-me-downs, so I think she's all set for clothes.
I love how I can spend $6 at a thrift store, and it brings so much joy. :
#139 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
working on an awesome bustle skirt of burgundy and black velvet! I am soooooo happy that my sewing machine is fixed.
Sounds awesome! Show us a pic when it's done?
#140 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I will definitely do that. I still need to get DP to take a pic of my tattoo. Off to work on my skirt now until DP gets home from work!

#141 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
How is everyone this eve? I went to Goodwill today and got my 6yo DD a pair of sweats, and two long sleeved shirts. It is getting cool here already some days, and she has been growing like a weed, so she had hardly any Fall clothes that fit. I was glad to be able to do that for her. Luckily my younger DD has a bunch of older DDs hand-me-downs, so I think she's all set for clothes.
I love how I can spend $6 at a thrift store, and it brings so much joy. :

I wish we had a goodwill around here, all we have is a couple of mom and pop type thrift shops, only one sometimes has decent stuff but most of the time all they have is stuff that has been handed down though several kids already and it really shows. I'm looking forward to getting my fin aid from school, dd needs all new clothes she has grown so much this year that nothing from last year will fit. Hoping to be able to find some good deals on quality clothes this year in the city. At least my younger one is covered for the year and all I will need for her is shoes and socks. I will have to suck it up and buy myself clothes too, after gaining 22lbs this year nothing fits anymore

Seriously?
#142 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 AM

We used to have a nice Salvation Army thrift store here in town, but they "closed for renovations" about a year ago and never reopened
So I have to go a town or two over for clothes. Most of the time I can find cool stuff there (found a nice Hanna Anderson outfit for DD2, brand new-still had the tags on it, when she was younger) and I'm going back in a couple of weeks to suppliment everyones school stuff (jeans school pants, etc)

It is sooo humid here right now. It's 5:44am and it's ALREADY 85 degrees!

Hope everyone has a good day

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#143 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM

I finally got my [Oliver's] diapers listed online! If I can sell them all I'll have xmas money to start getting presents for dh and the kids (although I am not planning to spend much for the kids because they get way too much from grandparents)

#144 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Good morning mamas! Can't chat right now, but wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing.:

#145 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 PM

I'm just lingering over my coffee. Avoiding housework. To my credit, I did get a load of laundry folded, put diapers in the dryer, and put another load in to wash. So I'm not completely lazy this morn...
#146 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
I'm just lingering over my coffee. Avoiding housework. To my credit, I did get a load of laundry folded, put diapers in the dryer, and put another load in to wash. So I'm not completely lazy this morn...

You've done more then me, its 11am and I've been up about 10 minutes in my defense though I was up until 2am then took an hour or 2 to fall asleep then I kept waking up because my bed was over crowded since my 9 yr old had a nightmare and ended up in my bed and that child is a total bed hog and a snuggler and neither I or the 3 yr old like anyone touching us while sleeping so the 3 yr old kept getting mad every time 9 year old got into her space and since 9 year old kept moving to the middle of the bed... ugh.

I should be in the shower, we have a Dr appt in just over an hour but my eyes don't wanna open yet, can I go back to bed? I need more tea...

Seriously?
#147 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
You've done more then me, its 11am and I've been up about 10 minutes in my defense though I was up until 2am then took an hour or 2 to fall asleep then I kept waking up because my bed was over crowded since my 9 yr old had a nightmare and ended up in my bed and that child is a total bed hog and a snuggler and neither I or the 3 yr old like anyone touching us while sleeping so the 3 yr old kept getting mad every time 9 year old got into her space and since 9 year old kept moving to the middle of the bed... ugh.

I should be in the shower, we have a Dr appt in just over an hour but my eyes don't wanna open yet, can I go back to bed? I need more tea...
I hear ya! DS1 had a late nap, so he stayed up too late, then woke up screaming several times throughout the night, and ended up in bed with us around 3am. DH left for work at 5:30 am.. I feel sorry for him today

#148 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 06:02 PM

I'd like to join in on this thread. We've really been struggling here. Dh has been off work for 18 months now with a back injury and other multiple issues. Everyone has been passing the buck, so to speak, and we've been having problems getting benefits paid out from Workers' Comp (they've completely refused to pay even though his back injury was done at work ), his union, etc. We've used up all the unemployment benefits he can get. We do get cheques periodically from the union but we have to fight and jump through all sorts of hoops for them. He's applied for a disability pension from the government but it will be months before we get an answer from them. We've eaten through pretty much all our savings. Our only saving grace is that the child tax credit we get monthly covers the mortgage. It's just stressful scraping together the rest of the money to pay all the other bills. Mil lives with us and she helps out where she can but her income (also disability) is pretty low. I sell stuff here and there online but it isn't much. I can't get a job myself because I have no one to look after the kids. Mil is too sick and dh....well let's not go there right now. Daycare for 5 kids would cost more than I would bring home. We're hoping his claim for disability pension gets accepted because then he has a chance of being retrained through them for something that isn't heavy labour (he was in construction). We just can't afford to pay for the schooling ourselves.

Luckily we did just get a sizeable cheque from the union (after fighting for 3 months with them) and I was able to pay all of this months bills and the outstanding property taxes. Now we just have to concentrate on next months bills.

Wow, it's nice to get that off my chest. I have no one IRL to talk to about all this and it's hard to "keep up appearances" so to speak when you literally have nothing in the bank (not even room on the credit card) to buy milk or put gas in the car.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#149 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 06:56 PM

today I'm rather frustrated.

had to take my rescue kitten in for her final shot in her series this morning. $15... had to put in on a cc . How sad is that. I did really need to keep her current because she was a very sick kitten when she was born and is special needs to the vax will insure that the disease that once almost killed her will not try to do so again. My other animals however.... are **** behind on their vax. Luckily the kitties are indoor only so they aren't in any threat.

the rest of the day has been a mess of trying to get some medical stuff handled. Tried to see if I could app for med disability but I'm 2 work credits short. How frigging annoying is that!?!? So I'm going to see if some of the work I did but didn't claim because I made under the legal claimable amount will help at all. Probably not even though the payout to me (again, legally under the claimable minimum) is listed on some of dh's (before we were married) taxes. We'll see. if I can ever get ahold of them that is.

I was also working on getting in to see a doctor with some kind of loophole in my pathetic family parenting insurance but, no luck. They only cover 1 yearly exam IF I'm renewing a perscription for birthcontrol. I'm not on BC and don't have a perscription so I'd have to pay for the first visit just to get some BC I'd never take, so I can get a stupid exam. Called the office I need to go to and the visit would be $175+ put of pocket. Have to pay in full up front. I've already put this off for 8 months at this point nad it's getting worse.... much worse. So idk..... I'd have to borrow money from my mom (which I'd HATE to do and haven't done yet so far even though she offers and wouldn't make me feel guilty about it) or put it on a cc that we can barely make the minimum payment on right now as it is. Blahhhhh.

baby woke up, gonna go round him up and try one of my new CDs for the first time that I got from one generous members of this very thread.

#150 of 285 Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Welcome, Sunflowermommy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page