I think its time for a new low income/struggling mamas suppot thread!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 285 Old 08-01-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Used to be the tread I visited most often. There were some wonderful mamas. My life has been pretty crazy the past few years, but I'd really like the support again, and I'm sure some other mamas would too!

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#2 of 285 Old 08-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Yay!!!

I am definitely "low income" as my dh and I are students. Life is hard right now, but we are trying to avoid student loans so we work during the summer to pay for our living expenses/tuition the rest of the year.

Because we live the way we do we have to be very VERY careful with our money, as every cent is allotted to something important, so we can't over spend or it get's really bad.

It hasn't been the greatest summer for earnings, (I suppose with the economy the way it is that makes some sense) so I'm getting worried.

One of the great bonuses to this job (farm fruit sales) is free fruit and corn.

I plan on freezing a case of cherries this week and a case of peaches next month, as well as a sack of corn.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#3 of 285 Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 PM

I belong here. My family is on TANF, foodstamps, and state medical while my husband is in school so he can get a better paying job.
#4 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Just some info on me. Was on Tanf til I stopped it this month. Now I will only have foodstamps until I start school in September again and get my financial aid and scholarship money. I have 2 children and right now am living with my DP and his mom and brother (DP is not my children's father). I am technically supposed to pay $300 a month rent, but DPs mom is giving me a break this month because she knows the situation. I want to be a midwife one day so I am going to try and get my doula and childbirth education certifications so I can do that while I am in the process of getting my midwifery degree. We are going to be looking into buying some land and hopefully in a couple years things wont be so tight and we will be able to do it. I am also quite crafty and sew as well as make homemade soap and lotion and have been trying to make a bit of cash using those skills. We are focusing on simplifying to save money. Luckily foodstamps have allowed me to have a HUGE food stockpile (at least a years worth so far) and we eat very well mostly organic and I make almost everything from scratch. I bake my own bread and baked goods and even make homemade pasta stuffed with homemade ricotta cheese (really easy to make) and want to start making my own yogurt. My goal as soon as I get my sewing machine fixed is to not buy any clothes for myself or the children until I run out of fabric. I am also going to make cloth napkins and TP. We already use cloth dipes. I know I could not afford disposable.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#5 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 AM

I am totally loving cooking from scratch. We have made huge changes to our diet/lifestyle in the last 2 years, and now we are 99% unprocessed. This is cheaper for us and way WAY healthier.

I just started making my own lotion with coconut oil and beeswax. I LOVE it!!! I haven't been able to afford moisturizer and my skin is just awful, but it looks and feels so much better now. You'd think I went to the spa I feel so good and my skin is all glowy and soft.

I don't sew, but I am a mean thrifter and am loving living in a tiny village. Every mama passes their kiddos clothes on, it's a big cycle of sharing. It's so great because everyone benefits. We've started doing it with our own clothes too, and it's so much fun, because something that I don't like anymore is new and exciting to my friend, and something she doesn't love or doesn't fit is a new treasure to me!

How do you find living with your mil natural_mama? We live with my parents during the summer, and sometimes it's so hard. I love them, but erg...

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#6 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Laura (Dps mom) is not bad. It is his brother that irritates me more. He pisses me off sometimes. It does kind of suck to be an adult yet have to live by someone else's rules. Like one time my son put a dish in the sink and broke it then she said he couldn't put his dishes in the sink again. He has been putting his own dishes in the sink since he was 18 MO and I am supposed to tell him he can't anymore because he broke one dish? We don't even have a real set of dishes. I don't get why it matters. I could replace the freaking bowl you know? lol. Hes 3.5 years old. Not the end of the world. She is also pro-spanking and I do not spank my children so there are obvious disagreements about that. Overall it's not too bad. I don't want to stay here longer than necessary though. DP may want to stay until he is done with college (another 2 years) and I don't know if I want to live with his mother that long! She really is great and nice and understanding, but there will pretty much always be conflicts between roommates if there is even a small disagreement. Dp's best friend used to live here too and he moved out because he didn't like me. We are ok now, but that was hard on Dp and my relationship.

#7 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Living with others who don't have the same philosophy as you is hard (BTDT)
I want to join this group!! It's just me and my kids. (all 4 of them ) I'm working full time and I get FS (which just got raised, TC) but there's definately too much week at the end of the money. Plus, the fact that I get paid every two weeks definately makes for some lean times in the four days before I get paid.

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#8 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Cwat I totally understand the lean times! It is hard to be literally broke sometimes. Or when you are talking about a problem and some people are just like, "why don't you just get a new X, Y, Z?" and they don't understand that you can't just go buy whatever, that some people really have a TIGHT budget.

#9 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 PM

maybe I need this thread right now. Honestly, it's difficult for me to share our financial state with anyone besides my mom. I don't have any bad feelings toward anyone else who is struggling with money but, I always think I'm going to be looked down on I guess. People seem to think dh and I have it easy so letting them in on the truth sort of lowers their opinion of us.

I was loving middle class 2 years ago when we first bought our house and were debt free aside from it. I didn't grow up with much money so I was very used to and quite honestly, comfortable with a relitivly small budget. But, lately (by lately I mean the last 2 years) it's been rough. Things turned up at times for a couple months at a time or so but, overall it's been rough.

Dh has had to change jobs 3 times due to pay cuts and pay "restructures". Dh has been looking for a new, more stable paying, better pay job for the last 2 years. He's jumped around a bit to jobs that have a shot at being better paying but currently works FULL commission in car sales. Sometimes we make enough, sometimes we don't. Dh works a ton and frequently comes home 1-3 hours after he was scheduled to get off work because we can't afford for him to pass up sales. For it to make sense for dh to change jobs he needs to find something that makes a at least $38,000 salary or $19ish+ hourly. 38 would be hard but we could at least buy a bit of food with that amount. 40 would be peachy and anything over would feel like a fortune!

We've skipped 2 christmas' in a row now (no presents even for dd), went through dh's retirement fund from the job he left in 07, went through all of our personal savings, used everything we'd saved from tax returns, sold a car to pay bills, reluctantly used dd's $700 savings to pay bills, skipped buying food when we needed it, haven't been able to get clothes for the kids (they will need a whole new set come sept and I don't know how we'll afford it), did a streamline refi on our house so we could skip 2 month mortage payments and get cash out to pay off a credit card, I stopped driving for 2 months during the winter to save on gas, had to pay bills on credit cards on occasion, 3 of our 5 animals are behind of shots, and month to month we have NO idea how much dh will make. We can't budget until the paycheck is in the bank. It's scary. We've been clever enough to make sure we've never had a late payment but, I feel like we've exercised all of our options so I worry every month what we will do the next month if not enough money comes in.

I have no medical insurance (and I'm currently dealing with painful vulvodynia, partial vaginal wall prolapse, unexplained massive hair loss, possible epilepsy (I quit persuing diagnosis over a year ago because I knew we couldnt afford medical or life insurance for me if I was diagnosed), and I don't qualify for medicaid. Basic Health isn't even an option due to the premimum.

We dont' qualify for any gov stuff aside from childrens medical (thank GOD!) and WIC. Neither of our families are loaded by any stretch of the word and we hate asking for help anyway. We're betting on the lotto right now .

Everyone around us seems to think we have it easy because we own our house, have 2 newer-ish cars (we own mine outright but owe on dh's), and I'm "able" to stay home with the kids.

*sigh* ok I'm done

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#10 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hey FondestBianca, welcome! Noticed you are in Washington, so am I! It is hard to talk to people you don't even know about your financial problems, I understand that! I think you will find this thread to be a great support system. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. I may have some clothes in good shape that may fit your DC, and I can sew some if i don't! I hope your DH can find a more stable job soon! Hang in there!

#11 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 06:24 PM

FondestBianca, hope your hubby finds a better job soon. I completely understand about not wanting to tell people about your situation, it's like that at work. I hear the women talking about "Oh, all these lazy women on Welfare (everything gets lumped together money & FS) why can't they go out and get a job like everyone else" Then when you try to say something, they don't get it, so I just stay out of the conversation cos none of them listens anyway

#12 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Hey FondestBianca, welcome! Noticed you are in Washington, so am I! It is hard to talk to people you don't even know about your financial problems, I understand that! I think you will find this thread to be a great support system. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. I may have some clothes in good shape that may fit your DC, and I can sew some if i don't! I hope your DH can find a more stable job soon! Hang in there!
I'm actually just 10 mins outside Spokane so we're practically neighbors! Thank you for the help offers. Your kindness is much appreciated. I'm sure we'll figure something out. We always do. I don't know what atm but.... something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
FondestBianca, hope your hubby finds a better job soon. I completely understand about not wanting to tell people about your situation, it's like that at work. I hear the women talking about "Oh, all these lazy women on Welfare (everything gets lumped together money & FS) why can't they go out and get a job like everyone else" Then when you try to say something, they don't get it, so I just stay out of the conversation cos none of them listens anyway
I don't know that dh gets much of that at his job (people speaking negativly of those who don't have much money) but I do know that the people in payroll seem to have no concept of living on the edge financially. Often times a sale that was totally funded and finished a full week prior to the paycheck cutoff date won't make it onto his check and when he inquires as to why they simply say, "oh, we just didn't get around to it. The papers got lost and it took a few days to find the time to sort it all out. It should be on your check next month." NEXT month!?!?! We need it now... you know, when we were supposed to have it!! Sometimes they screw up and accidentally overpay dh. That would sound lovely if it weren't for the fact that when they find their mistake they automatically withdraw the amount straight out of our bank account! They have access because dh is set up for auto pay into our checking account but, I think weren't going to call the bank and restrict his employeer to deposit only. I didn't even know employeers could pull money out of your personal bank accounts. Sounds very unprofessional and possibly illegal to me.

The only sort of annoying stuff I have to hear is people assuming we can afford to go do things and buy useless stuff. They'll say, "it's only $40." to which I'm thinking, "yah, and so is several nights of rice, veggies, beans, bread, and fruit". People expect that we can take a 2 week long vacation every year (or at all), go out to dinner on a whim, buy the newest electronics, etc.

Sorry you have to deal with the uninformed comments in your place of work. Nothing like having to work with a bunch of insensative jerks who are detached from the reality of others around them.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#13 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have children's clothes in good shape that I am getting rid of anyway, so if you feel up to coming by sometime you could at least look and see if there is anything you need that I have. Otherwise it is just going to be donated anyway. I also have a garden and would be totally willing to give you or barter for some veggies! We have waaaaay too many radishes and carrots, will have a lot of beets, tomatoes, have some cucumbers and zuchinni. Eventually will have corn and pumpkins and cantaloupe.

#14 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 PM

I will join you ladies.

Last year my brother-in-law kept offering my husband a job working with him. It would have been a big increase in income for us so we moved out of state for it. We even set up some back up jobs.

During the time we prepared to move the economy went in the toilet and when we got down here there were no jobs. My husband ended up getting a really good job but a month later when the economy got even worse he was laid off. He was jobless for a few months. We had no money for rent, bills or food. At Thanksgiving he got a job with walmart pushing carts for minimum wage. On Christmas Eve they let him go because they could not hire him for good until Feb. He was hired again but that entire time we had nothing.

My husband looked for better jobs but found nothing. Thank the good lord two weeks ago my husband was promoted and got a raise and will get another after his trial period on the job.

We are now up to our eyeballs in debt. We are trying to crawl out of the pit. Since my husband's income was not enough to cover all the bills he has just been giving his check and the bills to his mother. We are living on nothing. We get food stamps and that is all. Our pets are all in need of shots, we need new clothes, we often run out of simple things like soap and have to wait a few days to get some, I have NOTHING for my kids homeschooling this year and I need to come up with money to get a copy of my sons b.c. so I can enroll him in the umbrella school my other kids are in (it's free thankfully).

The only one in the house with health care coverage is my husband's grandmother who lives with us. Thank goodness the rest of us are healthy. I get nervous that the kids will get injured. It already happened once and now I have collections after me for the bill.

Sigh....it will get better. We just need to stick this time out and do the best we can.

Hugs to you all!

ps...Look to see if you have a local Food Not Bombs chapter, they often have free sales where you can bring things you do not need and get things you can use. Freecycle is another good place to get clothing and other household items for free.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#15 of 285 Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM

I'll join this thread again. :-) I just need a good place to vent & see if anyone out there has advice to offer. We've had a very rough end to July & beginnig to August. Our car's been broken since May & I was torn between finding some way to fix it or looking into the cash for clunkers thing. It's looking like I've had everything concerning the car taken out of my hands, though, what with the way the cash fo clunkers thing ended up & with the likelihood of our car being repoed this week. Lukily, my SIL moved in with us at the end of May, so we do have access to a car when we need it if she's not working. On the plus side, we won't have the car payment, insurance, or gas to worry about any more.
Now I just have to fight to hang onto our house. My DH lost his job back in January and we had my SIL move in to hopefully make it possible to stay on top of the mortgage payment at least. However, when my DH forgets to call in his unemployment for a month, and when we have overdrafted our checking account on a nearly monthly basis lately, plus all the other bills that need paid, it gets rather difficult to get together the money for a mortgage payment. We had it on a moratorium for about 4 months and now need to pay all that we own up to this point or we're basically facing foreclosure. Somehow, my DH has got to find a new job ASAP. I'm working on getting paid to watch my niece & nephew, plus I'm hoping to get a part-time job through a friend if we're still coming up short after that. We have an appointment with a counselor at our local Home Repair Services. Hopefully, they can help us find a way to buy a bit more time.
It just seems like a lot of crap is trying to irritate me at the moment, to top all that off, though most of it's pretty small in comparison. Half of my stovetop doesn't want to light without help, the kids just about broke the shower curtain rod so that it doesn't want to stay up, my cats keep getting out since both the screen & glass doors on our slider don't latch (and one cat is big enough to push open even the glass door, so I have to block it shut with a big dowel), and my SIL's dog (a cocker spaniel) has an ear infection that smells to high heaven and I don't think she can take him to the vet. Agh!!
At least I'm learning coping skills...I think. :-) lol It's bound to get better, right?
#16 of 285 Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What do you mama's do when you screw up with money? I screwed up today without even realizing how close I was to my goal. I need to pay back $92 in Pell Grant over payment from last year before I can get this years grant and everything keeps eating away at the money and it keeps getting replaced but today I screwed up. I bought something at the store and it didn't kick out my RR so they just handed me cash and we were starving so without thinking we ran to Taco Bell and spent $5 on food for 3 people to hold us over till we could get home (we were in the middle of grocery shopping and it took longer then expected). I just added up all the money I have available to repay the thing so I can get my fin aid app started and stupid me, I'm only $4 short! I know I can come up with $4 but to see how much $4 little dollars is standing between me and a $2000 Pell grant. Thats a hard thing to absorb. I hate being poor and having to worry about every stinking penny I don't even want to think of the $400 or so I need to come up with in about 2 weeks but I think I might know where that money is coming from at least in part, just kills me to part with the items.

Seriously?
#17 of 285 Old 08-03-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Wow Satori, that is rough, I am so sorry. I know what it is like to barely not have the money to get something needed. If you are poor everything amount of money is so important.

#18 of 285 Old 08-03-2009, 02:16 AM

I definitely belong here--this is the kind of thread that keeps me sane.

I don't even want to get into the long string of unexpected things that landed us in this stupid situation, but suffice it to say I've been varying states of broke for the last 10 years (i.e. my whole adult life ). I used to be able to cope with it better, emotionally. Lately I just don't have the mental fortitude anymore.

DH has health problems that we don't fully understand, cause we haven't had insurance for long enough to get to the bottom of them. He had brain surgery when he was 17, and he's been diagnosed with ADHD, mild epilepsy, and hearing issues; all apparently seperate problems. Lately, it's becoming clear that he'll probably need surgery again in the relatively near future, and in the meantime, his ability to get a job is even more compromised. He's been out of work since last Winter, when the economy started tanking (he was selling cars--we feel your pain, FondestBianca!).

At first it was supposed to be a temp. thing--he needed a break from the craziness, and I was going to work full-time for awhile while he focused on school and the kids. I couldn't find a full-time job, only a part-time one. Then we got another surprise

We'd been living in my husband's stepdad's house, but he wanted to rent it out for profit, so we had to find another place. We somehow got approved for a smallish home loan (), but after 6 lost contracts in 3 months, we were forced to realize that the investors had the upper hand and there was no way we'd be able to contract on a house in our price range w/o some cash buyer snapping it out from under us : So we're renting a small apartment, which my parents are having to pay the rent on at the moment :

I have no idea how I'm supposed to make ends meet every month. I really believe that it makes you crazy to constantly have to worry about your basic needs being met. I've gone from being angry at my DH to being scared for him, as it wasn't initially clear why he had problems getting/keeping decent work. I've been poor before, but I've never faced the prospect of having to work full-time--at any job that will take me--with a newborn at home. I don't need to buy a lot of baby stuff--but I have no clue how I'm supposed to afford any of it.

The worst was moving into this apartment--I had to freecycle my cats. I want to kick myself every time I think of it. The fact that we could be so low, so down-and-out, to have to bail on our pets...it's just despicable. Our options were: apartment that allowed pets with a massive deposit and monthly fee but no washer/dryer hookups, or apartment with washer/dryer hookups but no pets allowed. We cloth diaper (again, out of financial necessity!), so the w/d hookups were essential. Plus, we couldn't have afforded the pet deposit anyway. It just makes me feel like the scum of the Earth, yk? :

Right now, we're awaiting a letter from Social Security for my dh, they're gonna "evaluate a disability claim" by sending him to a dr, which hopefully will get the ball rolling in some direction. Perhaps they'll put him on Medicaid as a result of that and we can start figuring out WTH is going on w/his health.

So, yeah, enough about me and my sad story... Thanks for letting me vent. I totally understand not being able to really talk about some of these things IRL. Money problems of this magnitude affect every aspect of your life, your thoughts, etc. I almost wonder who I'd be if my finances "allowed me".... :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#19 of 285 Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 AM

Hello mamas!
(I thought we just started another one of these a week or so ago..) But I will say hello here as well.
We too, had $, now we are low income. We own a house, trying to sell it even though we havent paid the mortgage in months.. hoping we can sell it before they foreclose on us..
I work part time as a pizza delivery driver, dh is looking for work (has been for awhile) and is applying for school and grants.. he will need someone to give him $ for tuition, b/c we just dont have it. We are all on medicaid, FS, and just applied for TANF. All of the assistance is new, we've never been on assistance until this spring. Getting FS was the best, it soo helped us out and I could not believe how much they give us each month.. way more then I was used to spending on groceries, even when I did have $.

I am almost finished schooling, though it has been hard w/ raising kids and the house thing, and life... so I've taken awhile.. I'm trying to get my butt in gear, just one more test to pass, then a licence test and I can be a massage therapist. I'm also in the middle of birth doula training, but now I'm kicking myself for not doing pp training, b/c how ever will I be able to be on call for my 3 certifying births?? Um, I wont..

I also have an etsy shop where I sell handmade toys when I can find time to craft them.

It is rough.. I worry alot too, but I am trying so hard to step by step my way to something better..
I do hope this thread stays alive.. I agree there was soo much unwaivering support in the old threads, and so many wise and strong women, I miss the old threads.

HUGS MAMAS!!! Hang in there!!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#20 of 285 Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Sunanthem about your ETSY shop. Do you have any suggestions of how to sell better because I have posted a few things and haven't had much luck. Do you know how much I would have to make on things like that before filing taxes on the income or how I could find that information. I really want to start making income on my craftiness.

#21 of 285 Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

K, so officially this is THE low income/struggling thread! I thinks it best to have just one. More support to go around!

#22 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
K, so officially this is THE low income/struggling thread! I thinks it best to have just one. More support to go around!
I thought the other thread was for mama's on public assistance.

Seriously?
#23 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 AM

I've definately been struggling since my divorce 4 years ago. The children were very young back then, but they are older, and that helps alot. When I have a doula client, my parents can care for my kids, since they are no longer in diapers, breastfeeding ect.

I have FS at this time, and that has been a great help. Before...we were just hardly making ends meet food wise. I don't have health insurance, although the kids do.

Each month we get our basic bills paid, and then we have nothing. Part of this has been because the kids dad was not paying the full child support, but hopefully I will be getting the entire amount, which will increase by $360, in a couple of days. My cell phone bill is due and I don't have the money, and won't have it till the child support comes in. Meanwhile, I am caring for the kids with the money that I make, and if it wasn't for that, I don't know where I would be. It is very sparse...clients are few and far between right now, and I am even considering lowering my doula fee's to attract more clients right now. Anyone know what I should do about that? I just want to be working, and making all the money that my family needs, so I don't need to be of FS at all.

Because I only have enough to cover my basic bills, I have let my massage therapy license go, and I can't afford to pay for it again, including the workshops I need to take, in order to get my license again. I am so embarrassed to say that here, and if I could get the money together for this, and all the workshops (CEU's) then I would be doing massages in combination with my doula work, as I had planned to do all along.

If I could save a little bit each month, I would be able to eventually get my massage therapy license straightened out...and what a difference that would make for me. Some of you may recommend the website that helps individuals get grants which would make it easier to start working again, but they don't approve me because my income is TOO low for even them!

And I took a national certification exam for massage therapy and I'm certified with the NCBTMB, but even that is going to run out, and if it does, I don't know if I will ever get back to my intended field. I'm so worried. There have been times where I considered selling my massage therapy equipment (table, sitting massage chair, and all my accessories to pay my rent. I am still holding on to this dream.

Anyway, I feel for every one of you, and hope you can get your financial life straightened out soon, and I hope that I can too. HUGS!!!

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#24 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 AM

Jyotsna,

Do I by chance know you from the radical BF'ing list from a few years back?

Seriously?
#25 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 03:25 AM

Hi Satori, you may. What was your user name? It has def been a few years, as my girls are 9 now, and they weaned at age 4. Can't believe it's been 5 years since I've breastfeed. Seems like it was yesterday! But yes, I was on it and I tandem nursed my adopted daughters.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#26 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I thought the other thread was for mama's on public assistance.
Nope, there is another low income one too. It has a link to this one posted.

#27 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 AM

Morning all
I'm depressed this morning. I got myself into a hole (again) this payperiod, and it means that there is going to be NO extra money till Aug 20th when I get paid again. I get paid every two weeks, and Thurs is payday, but due to my own stupidity, I'm currently in negative numbers on my checking account, and by the time I get it up to a zero balance and pay the rest of my rent, I will have (maybe) $15 dollars till August 20th. :
So much for getting uniforms for the two little kids or backpacks. Sigh.
I so hate being broke.

#28 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Sunanthem about your ETSY shop. Do you have any suggestions of how to sell better because I have posted a few things and haven't had much luck. Do you know how much I would have to make on things like that before filing taxes on the income or how I could find that information. I really want to start making income on my craftiness.
As far as getting more biz goes, I find keeping up with your shop, listing once everyday or every other day, so you stay at the front pages is key . Also join some etsy teams for support and promotions, there is and etsy moms thread here as well. You can also blog, connect your shop to facebook, just get your name out there.. also have excellent feedback.. if you need more positive feedback, try doing some trades with other etsians to boost it up... there are so many things you can do. Etsy is full of ideas, and if you join a team they will be full of helpful info too. I *think* you have to make $600 a year off it before you have to file taxes.. but I would ask your tax person, b/c it could vary by state, or I might just not know.

#29 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
Morning all
I'm depressed this morning. I got myself into a hole (again) this payperiod, and it means that there is going to be NO extra money till Aug 20th when I get paid again. I get paid every two weeks, and Thurs is payday, but due to my own stupidity, I'm currently in negative numbers on my checking account, and by the time I get it up to a zero balance and pay the rest of my rent, I will have (maybe) $15 dollars till August 20th. :
So much for getting uniforms for the two little kids or backpacks. Sigh.
I so hate being broke.
cwat- I know how hard it is w/ checking accounts. I just lost mine b/c it went negative and they gave me overdraft fees up the wazoo and I couldnt afford to pay it off when I'm too busy surviving, that they closed it. Apparently being able to pay $25 at a time is not enough.. they wanted at least $200 or to pay the whole thing off.. HA! Uh, I cant I have to live! Then they ask if I could ask my friends or family for help! Oh you mean my MIL or SIL who ask ME for loans b/c they are struggling right now too?? Sure, I'll do that.

Anyway, I wanted to say if you have overdraft fees, sometimes you can call the bank and explain your income, etc. and they will wave them if you give them a good chunk of what you owe. Don't know if you could afford it, but it may knock off some fees for ya.

#30 of 285 Old 08-04-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I thought it was $600 too. I will try to post more often and link from my facebook and get nore feedback. My feedback is all positive, but I don't have much. If something is made of recycled materials, does that count as 100% profit? I need to make a point to go talk to someone about taxes and things.

Whoever said they do doula work, are you registered as a business? How do you advertise? Do you think people would be less likely to choose me as a doula because I am young (20)?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page