Annual school supply whine thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to whine about our school supply list. It's not that long, but incredibly specific. Then I went to the store and couldn't find most of the stuff.

For instance:
1 set of 10 large Crayola Classic colored felt tip markers (water base, no scented)

I'm assumming water base means washable? But washable only comes in sets of 8. And our store didn't have any "classic" for the colors in the non-washable 10 pack. WTH - which one are they talking about?

2 boxes of 8 large Crayola crayons (no Jumbos or So Big)

The store only had boxes of 16 for the "large" size. My DH thought 1 pack of 16 should count, but does it? Or do I need 2 boxes of 16?

1 box of Crayola crayons, 16 color

This one is obvious, only the store didn't have this. 24-pack is the size of choice these days and they only had the 24 pack in "washable".

Anyways, we didn't get anything as it was too annoying. You can get more, right? Like 16 count could be 16+ count?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 100 Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 PM

After reading this thread I am TOTALLY nervous for our first list this month! I wish they'd send it already!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#93 of 100 Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiValleySteph View Post
I want to whine about our school supply list. It's not that long, but incredibly specific. Then I went to the store and couldn't find most of the stuff.

For instance:
1 set of 10 large Crayola Classic colored felt tip markers (water base, no scented)

I'm assumming water base means washable? But washable only comes in sets of 8. And our store didn't have any "classic" for the colors in the non-washable 10 pack. WTH - which one are they talking about?

2 boxes of 8 large Crayola crayons (no Jumbos or So Big)

The store only had boxes of 16 for the "large" size. My DH thought 1 pack of 16 should count, but does it? Or do I need 2 boxes of 16?

1 box of Crayola crayons, 16 color

This one is obvious, only the store didn't have this. 24-pack is the size of choice these days and they only had the 24 pack in "washable".

Anyways, we didn't get anything as it was too annoying. You can get more, right? Like 16 count could be 16+ count?
They want the 8 pack because they only want the primary colors, not the blended colors. You could by the 16 pack and just send in the 8 basic colors ( red orange yellow green blue purple black brown) The teacher probably sorts crayons by color and has 8 buckets etc.
#94 of 100 Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM

my kids are in private school so their supply lists are very long and very specific. thankfully i tend to stock up enough when school supplies are on sale each year to not only have replacements throughout the school year, but also to have some extras to start out the following school year. and our school doesn't do the 'community' supplies thing....although we do sponsor a local public school that's across the street and is primarily low income families so we do a 'school supply drive' each summer for them and collect enough supplies so that those families don't need to worry about that aspect of registering. i think it's a wonderful thing to be able to do, and the 'deep pockets' of some of our school families not only donate supplies, but also donate backpacks, shoes, clothing.

my dd is going into 7th grade and my ds is going into 4th grade, so we're mostly passed the 'crayon' part of the lists and now on to the 'scientific calculator' part, which is more $$$.

also because my kids are in private school, they wear uniforms....which personally i LOVE. i buy their pieces through lands end school uniforms and they are such great quality that i haven't had to buy things now for 2 years. i will more than likely have to buy my dd some new pants this year though as she hit a growth spurt this summer....she's taller than me now! i also need to replace my son's lunch box....which will also get ordered through lands end. the backpacks that i got them through LE have held up great and after 2 years still look like new. and my daughter has a vera bradley messenger bag that she uses as well. i'm hoping to go through all clothing and supplies this week so i can get a list together for shopping and get them all set!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#95 of 100 Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I admit it, I am too. Sometimes clothing can become a source of disruption in a classroom- items that are too revealing or sexually provocative are often a culprit in a high school classroom. I have also had dangerous stuff though, too.. gang related clothing, wheelies, etc. and I am certain that a lot of times, parents just don't know about that stuff..

).
The clothes don't have to be sexy to be a major disruption... picture one or two very active 1st grade boys w/ velcro on their pants/pockets, etc. Trying to teach w/ a lot of "ripping" of velcro going on can be very difficult! Granted, there are some kids who will always find a way to be fidgety, but if they are paying some level of attention to the lesson, and not distracting the other kids, I'm okay with the fidgets. (I once had to untangle a boy after he contorted himself through his removable pant legs that he'd unvelcro'ed off during our morning group time)

As for pencil quality... even some of the wooden ones that seem good can be frustrating. I've noticed that the lead in some brands gets broken, or falls out in pieces.
#96 of 100 Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 PM

At our school every Fri is "casual" day where the teachers are in jeans & t-shirts. The staff purchased workout gear like yoga pants, running jackets etc this year, they're worn any day of the week. I work in the school & 99% of the time I'm in my workout gear.

Kids can look cute in jeans & t-shirt, or yoga pants/tank just as much as they can in a dress with hair all done up.

Teachers are going to know which kids have more opportunities/money whether they're wearing ripped up clothes or not.

When my kids were in playschool we were told specifically to NOT send them in good clothes as they would be ruined. It is similar at the regular schools here as the kids are outside alot & in the spring/summer/fall months they will get ruined.

As a supervisor there's nothing worse than a kid having to come in multiple times for a break because they're too hot wearing the fancier clothes than if they were allowed to wear shorts/t-shirt.

We obviously do not have uniforms. The only "dress code" we have is - no skinny strap shirts(like a spaghetti top, but wide tanks were fine), no halters, shirts & bottoms must touch each other, no provocative language on clothing. The only time it was ever an issue is with some girls wearing halters/spaghetti strap shirts.
#97 of 100 Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
And so do all the other students. So you don't have the same amount of competition and bullying over clothes.

I'm a huge fan of school uniforms.
Me too. I was so sad when I had to choose what to wear in college. It's so easy to just put clothes on in the morning. It really cuts down on distractions and materialism too.

Healthcare is a human right!
#98 of 100 Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
Teachers are going to know which kids have more opportunities/money whether they're wearing ripped up clothes or not.
Not snarking; genuinely curious. How?

And is there any connection with a teacher's knowing a particular student is single-parented?

The only thing you owe to others is to behave with integrity.
#99 of 100 Old 08-05-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
My crank pencil sharpener in my classroom broke about two years ago. The school has still not replaced it. I eventually bought a power one with my own money.

BTW: The thing was ANCIENT, so it isn't like they didn't get their money out of it. I think it had been "attempting" to sharpen pencils when my parents were in school. For the couple of years I had it it consistently sharpened one side of the pencil, so I would tell kids to periodically reposition their pencil in the hole, but that is a difficult concept to get through, so more often than not it would just eat pencils until it finally stop doing anything. I am sure the teachers before me had the same delightful experiences with it.
I remember hand crank pencil sharpeners from school, and I remember that in the lower grades, the darned things would break or get jammed at least twice a month. But back then the custodians generally had time to fix them.
#100 of 100 Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
As a supervisor there's nothing worse than a kid having to come in multiple times for a break because they're too hot wearing the fancier clothes than if they were allowed to wear shorts/t-shirt.

We obviously do not have uniforms. The only "dress code" we have is - no skinny strap shirts(like a spaghetti top, but wide tanks were fine), no halters, shirts & bottoms must touch each other, no provocative language on clothing. The only time it was ever an issue is with some girls wearing halters/spaghetti strap shirts.
The dress code at the schools here are about the same. No baggy pants, no spaghetti straps, no short shorts, clothes must be clean and in good repair. Oh, and no flip flops... all sandals must have a heel strap.

It always baffled me how parents would send their little girls to school in those really thin tights... I don't know many little girls who come home with their tights intact after a couple of rounds of recess.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page