Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
No I would pass on the whole set and here are the reasons why. If you look closely at the pic of the track you will see TWO different types of track. One with 'ball' ends and one with flat round ends. This is not a complete set of track. We've tried to use mis-matched track like that and it wont lock into place correctly and my kids get frustrated and upset. I also do not see enough 'cars' so you will be buying cars and trains for that track.
I am concerned that the table is 'handmade' and not something that is manufactured for the train set.
We have *only* wooden Thomas and the tracks have a mixture of flat round ends and ball ends. They fit together just fine.

We also have a handmade table and it works out just great. Just to be sure, you could always ask if you could put together a simple layout just to test it out. You could test out the connection between the flat ends and the ball ends too.

I think this is an awesome deal if all the pieces are in good shape.

I would inspect closely though because I noticed in the background of one of the pictures that there is one of those wooden book racks like you find in a preschool or daycare. So, if it does belong to one of those it may have a tonne of wear that wouldn't make it worth your while.

Martha

p.s. If you can figure out approximately how much gas would cost you, you could add it to the $60 and then price brand new sets and see what you can get for the same price.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellas View Post
Definitely NOT Plan - they are cut to look similar, but it's not.
You're right. I didn't look that closely the first time but on closer inspection I see that they are similar but not the same. It's too bad, Plan Toys are awesome!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:03 AM

OP, I did something similar (buy table with odds and ends of track and then sold off the table). I got an insane amount of track for dirt cheap. It seems like you have already priced what is typically available, and craigslist toy prices only seem to rise as we get closer to Christmas. Good luck!

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM

4 hours round trip in the car? Nope.

I would factor in gas and food - cuz you are going to want to eat if you drive that far.

I am not sure whether you can get a sitter or not - but I do not like to drive 4 hours in a car with kids - they get too bored and bicker. YMMV.

_______

how much do you think you would pay for a similar setup new?
What is the difference in cost after accounting for expenses with the crailist one? That may help you decide.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
4 hours round trip in the car? Nope.

I would factor in gas and food - cuz you are going to want to eat if you drive that far.

I am not sure whether you can get a sitter or not - but I do not like to drive 4 hours in a car with kids - they get too bored and bicker. YMMV.

_______
I also would not go with the kids. I assumed going without them was an option. My children do not travel well at all.

And, bring a sandwich.:

4 kids under 10
Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Pumpkin, is it near me? Maybe I could help...

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 PM

'We' are train fanatics at our house and for those trains and tracks with a home made table, I wouldn't drive that far. That is a long drive! If you keep watching or post a wanted ad, you can find a better deal or something closer. We picked up our Thomas train table at a garage sale for $20...

Melonee, mom to Chloe 03/21/03 ribboncesarean.gif, Cooper 02/02/2007 vbac.gif, and Piper 12/27/09  vbac.gif
Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I am now waffling on wether I want to drive that far or not now. I emailed the seller and she said she does run a daycare, but the kids have not played with it because she just does not have the space for it. She also is not willing to sell just the accessories without the table if I can't get the table strapped onto my car either, which makes me feel like it might end up being a wasted trip. I have a Honda Civic with a rack on top and I am planning to strap it onto that to get it home.

I also would have to bring DS with me, but he LOVES riding in the car, and would most likely sleep for most of the trip too. She also assured me that the ramps are there in the pic that go up to the second level structure. I can't quite figure that out from the pic, but she said they do go up there.

Chloe&Coop'sMom, I am starting to think I may pass on this one and look a bit more for something closer. I have seen a few listed over the past few months, but none for this price, and they do tend to go quickly. I have definitely never found anything at a yard sale. I also just got the opportunity to work on Saturday, which is the day I am supposed to go pick up the table, so I would have to change the date anyway.

*sigh* I was so excited there for a bit.

AmyAmanda, it is in St. Johnsbury, not sure how far that is from you.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-05-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I just found this on Amazon, and it is way more track than in the pics, and honestly, my son will care more about the track this Christmas than the buildings. I think I will keep searching for more track and trains locally and if I can't find any, I will just order this set. It is 100 pieces of track, 25 3.5" curved, 25 6" curved, 25 3.5" straight and 25 6" straight. That is a huge amount of track, and even with shipping, it is still only $53.

This way I can add buildings and some fun trains for birthdays/Easter baskets/other random holidays if I want too. I am guessing this will be played with for a few years anyway.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazajo View Post
It looks like Brio or Imaginarium to me. Which are perfectly compatible with Thomas, just half the price.

Sounds like a good deal for $60, but I personally would not drive 2 hours for it, but that's just me, I hate to drive. Plus you have to figure in the gas to drive that far in the cost. What's the chances of another good train table being posted within the next couple months that might be closer to you? I see them on Craig's List in my area frequently.
No. if you wait closer to christmas stuff will start popping up at Target and the like. If I had it to do over again, I would not buy a train table. We've had 2 and they take up a ton of space. My kids seem to prefer playing on the floor with the trains. My mom found them a trainscape type rug and it's nice because i can roll it up when they aren't playing with it. I'd opt out of the table and use the $$ to get him an awesome set up.

My kids are like the pp who said the table can't contain her kids creativity. Same here...my kids build huge configurations and just didn't like having the limited space of the table.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

User Tag List