Awesome deal at Schwan's (free food!) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has not been my experience at all. Schwan's has never just come by. But then again I lived in a very rural area when I used the service, so it was a trek. Also, I generally ordered a bunch of things though ($100+) the times I have ordered, so no need to hard sell me.

I would call and complain if you felt he was rude. I also could see his side of it too if he's been delivering alot of "free" items and had no orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
See, this is the weird thing, our ice cream was delivered today and I got a really bad vibe from the guy. He basically told me that now we were on his delivery route and he'd be coming by every two weeks and that we were expected to buy something. Which I told him I thought they'd only come by if we ordered online...? That seems a little messed up to me!

Anyhow, I seem to be in the minority of what I have heard, but most definitely this guy was annoyed at giving out free stuff--specifically he stated to me:

1. He works on commision.
2. Shwann wasn't doing this to 'give out free food' they're doing it to get new paying customers on their route.
3. He would be by here again in two weeks to sell me food, even if I don't make an order online they have deals they can offer in person.

I explained to him basically that I was thinking of using their service on a situational basis (aka, like after I'd given birth and was pretty busy and needed something convienient without leaving the house).

So, it sounds like he's going to be back in two weeks to try to hard sell me.

The irony--I was going to look and see what they had if anything looked good and order...now the guy REALLY turned me off to that .

I totally think that he pre-judged us based on appearance. I hate to say it, but my house isn't that big, and I opened the door holding baby with three other kiddos behind looking like frumpy mom. Not to mention our front door has chipped paint and I've been waiting until jungle season is over to repaint it. So, he likely just thought "oh these people are just in it for free ice cream." I'm guessing he wouldn't guess I was married to a professional with a good income. Sigh.

Which just irks the crap out of me. Why couldn't have the guy just been nice, polite? He could have spent the time telling me how delicious and convienient the food is. Now I'm totally turned off to ordering in the future.

And, the irony, DH warned me that something like this might happen. Not because he knew of the company before, but he just figured the guy worked on commission and may not have a good attitude about 'working for free'.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#62 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM

I hadn't ordered in quite awhile. I ordered over $200 and it will be delivered on the 20th. Got me to thinking that I miss some of their stuff, and my dh has been raking in $ w/his side work lately. He is an a/c guy on the side and he deserves to have some ice cream, right?

I forgot to say how yummo their fire roasted veggies are. :

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#63 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
This has not been my experience at all. Schwan's has never just come by. But then again I lived in a very rural area when I used the service, so it was a trek. Also, I generally ordered a bunch of things though ($100+) the times I have ordered, so no need to hard sell me.

I would call and complain if you felt he was rude. I also could see his side of it too if he's been delivering alot of "free" items and had no orders.
Ugh, I mean...how far do I take it really. Because the guy knows where I live. And, yes, he was rude.

I never really told my DH about the rudeness, because he sort of gave me the 'nothing is free' 'your on another mailing list' thought when I told him about this deal in the first place.

I'm not the only one to have this experience (I'm on a different message board where several of us tried the service) but the majority have been nice.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#64 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 05:01 PM

If he was rude I'd not hesitate to report him. He is a salesman and should NOT be out being rude to customers! Yes really! Who cares if he knows where you live? I'd just not answer the door if I wasn't expecting an order or better yet tell him NOT to drop by unless you have placed an order. There is nothing wrong with that!

Quote:
Ugh, I mean...how far do I take it really. Because the guy knows where I live. And, yes, he was rude.

I never really told my DH about the rudeness, because he sort of gave me the 'nothing is free' 'your on another mailing list' thought when I told him about this deal in the first place.

I'm not the only one to have this experience (I'm on a different message board where several of us tried the service) but the majority have been nice.

#65 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 PM

Mine got delivered today...and it wasn't a very pleasant experience! There were two of them, they were really pushy, asking over and over if I was sure I didn't want to order something today. They both handed me a catalog at the same time when I asked for one. It was just TOO MUCH! Ug.

I remember my old Schwans man being very kind. These were salesmen. Definitely not appreciated.

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#66 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
If he was rude I'd not hesitate to report him. He is a salesman and should NOT be out being rude to customers! Yes really! Who cares if he knows where you live? I'd just not answer the door if I wasn't expecting an order or better yet tell him NOT to drop by unless you have placed an order. There is nothing wrong with that!
OK, see that's what I told him. I told him that I was only interested in using the service on a situational basis--like when I was postpartum, etc.

I did tell him that I was told they only come back when you make an order, he told me that was not the case.

:

I think you're right though, I will have to call customer service or something. And, I KNOW other people have gone through this. I don't want to say it makes me feel better, but at least I don't feel alone in my experience.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#67 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Mine got delivered today...and it wasn't a very pleasant experience! There were two of them, they were really pushy, asking over and over if I was sure I didn't want to order something today. They both handed me a catalog at the same time when I asked for one. It was just TOO MUCH! Ug.

I remember my old Schwans man being very kind. These were salesmen. Definitely not appreciated.
Crud. .

Who needs that kind of stress? I hate that another great MDC mom had a bad experience.

And, aren't you pregnant...they should have been nice and kind.

Like the saying you catch more bees with honey...(something like that LOL)

#68 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 PM

I got mine wednesday. I had a sleeping baby in my arms so the guy didnt keep me long. He just gave me my food, some coupons and said he'd check back in 2 weeks. I guess I got lucky and got a nice one.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#69 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Some of those rude drivers should take a lesson from the better ones. Wow.
I was so prepared to put a boot in someone's... you know today.. and thank goodness, had a nice experience.

But phatcristy and raene- I'm so sorry you guys had to deal with that. I hope they get spoken to about their behavior. High pressure & rude behavior like that just makes people want nothing to do with the company!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#70 of 110 Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 PM

They usually do come by every two weeks, to see if you want something -- regardless of whether you have placed an order online. The online ordering is relatively new -- coming by every two weeks is how this company has done business for years and years.

phatchristy, if you don't want them to come by, I would simply cancel online (or call them). You can place an order again whenever you want. If the thought of him coming every two weeks stresses you out -- then, just, cancel.
#71 of 110 Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
i told someone about this offer and then their delivery was supposed to be yesterday
he came to deliver to my friend today. he had a legit problem with the address and that is why he didn't come when he was supposed to and she told me he was extremely nice, not pushy at all

i should have my delivery on Tue...will let you all know what happens..

::
#72 of 110 Old 08-14-2009, 12:41 AM

I ordered some caramel ice cream bars. : Praying the driver is not a jerk. Thanks for the tip, OP!
#73 of 110 Old 08-14-2009, 01:04 AM

My order was delivered today. It was a good experience. I also purchased a pizza and ice cream sandwiches. The chicken nuggets were really good.

Kate~ Mama to two.
#74 of 110 Old 08-15-2009, 03:02 AM

My ex was a Schwan's guy. They do grump about people not buying as they work on commission. But meh - the food is good but pretty spendy. My ex used to complain about customers in his sleep. Funny this thread reminded me of it.

He was a UA violation.
#75 of 110 Old 08-15-2009, 01:02 PM

My delivery was supposed to be yesterday, and they didn't show up. I did go out and run a couple of errands, but they didn't even leave a "we tried to deliver" type of note either, so I am assuming they just didn't come. I am not quite sure what to do now.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#76 of 110 Old 08-15-2009, 01:52 PM

i notice that the chocolate peanut butter ice cream has a price of $0.00, what's up with that?

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

#77 of 110 Old 08-15-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
He was a UA violation.

::
#78 of 110 Old 08-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Well *of course* they want your information--did anyone think Schwanns had too much ice cream and wanted to give it away? If I had signed up, I"d have decided that 5 minutes of aggravation was worth it.

I've used Schwanns in the past and if I didn't want to order something, I told them through the storm door, shook my head and closed the other door. No big deal. Once or twice I didn't even answer the door, and they stopped coming by. They're just trying to make a living like anyone else, and they do work on commission, I don't see the big deal, esp if you got free ice cream out of it!
#79 of 110 Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 AM

You know something about this thread just rubs me wrong. Nothing in life is truly "free". This is a PROMO so you will try their food and make regular orders!

I just can't imagine just ordering the free item from Schwans and nothing else and then getting upset because they want you to actually purchase something!

It also seems like a really big waste of time and resources for the drivers. I honestly can see why some would be irritated by it. So I'm not really surprised I guess. I mean it's a service.

#80 of 110 Old 08-16-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
So they are looking to improve their customer database of people they will try to sell to for eternity.

Nothing is ever truly free. You are now in a database. I wonder if they ever sell their customer lists? I wonder how many new customers will be "bugged/hounded" by the salesmen/drivers?
My bestfriend's husband works for Schawn's. They work 95% on commission, they have a small 'base pay' but it's barely minimum wage. Most of them work over 60 hrs a week trying to fit in all the customers to bring home a pay check. My friend does work 60 hours a week and actually he works the 'least' amongst his coworkers.

I ordered a bit...I will simply take the catalog and say not this time next time or maybe I'll keep ordering lunch stuff for the kids...they have some good snacky foods

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#81 of 110 Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I totally think that he pre-judged us based on appearance. I hate to say it, but my house isn't that big, and I opened the door holding baby with three other kiddos behind looking like frumpy mom. Not to mention our front door has chipped paint and I've been waiting until jungle season is over to repaint it. So, he likely just thought "oh these people are just in it for free ice cream." I'm guessing he wouldn't guess I was married to a professional with a good income. Sigh.
If anyone was going to prejudge us on appearance it would be the opposite, I think. We live well below the poverty line but our house is in a decent neighborhood and our front yard is very well manicured. People come by all the time to try to sell us things and won't leave us alone - darn it we can't afford them! And if I try to tell them straight up that that's not something we can budget in, they look at me as if I'm lying through my teeth. I guess poor people like us are supposed to look dumpy?

Incidentally, I got the free ice cream because we can't afford ice cream on our food budget. But we won't be ordering from them again. Maybe that's down and dirty of me to take advantage of the deal but drat, it'll be nice to treat the kids finally.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#82 of 110 Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 AM

My experience was quite pleasant! The driver was a very young guy and he was just as nice as can be. I got my free Fiesta lime chicken, and we had it tonight, and it was pretty tasty. Can't beat a free meal. Not only that, but I got 3 pizzas and a gallon of ice cream for $14.xx because of all the coupons my driver was finding for me! So, four meals, and dessert for $14...delivered to my front door. Not bad, lol!

He will be back in a couple of weeks. A lot of the items are wayyy overpriced, but some of it isn't *too* bad if it's on sale and you need a quick 'meal in a jiffy' type fix!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#83 of 110 Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 AM

OK so I was not impressed by the quality of the food I ordered. Should I tell the driver that next time her comes? Or should I just say Im not interested?

I hate the idea that he drives all the way here for nothing. They must get a lot of people not home.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#84 of 110 Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 AM

You could always call and have yourself taken off their route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
OK so I was not impressed by the quality of the food I ordered. Should I tell the driver that next time her comes? Or should I just say Im not interested?

I hate the idea that he drives all the way here for nothing. They must get a lot of people not home.

#85 of 110 Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Oh, and my driver said they're not paid on comission anymore and that they quit that a couple of years ago?

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#86 of 110 Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

My food was never delivered. I was supposed to receive it last Monday and did not hear anything from them
#87 of 110 Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM

Got our food today and our driver was VERY nice!! I was a little scared he would be like the asshat US Beef driver, who went charging out of my house and slammed the door when I used a calculator and told him their prices were not a good enough value for our family. The Schwan's guy simply gave me a catalog and told me he'd bring by an updated one ASAP. He wrote down the next date he would be by, said it was nice to meet me, and he was on his way!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#88 of 110 Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madders View Post
My food was never delivered. I was supposed to receive it last Monday and did not hear anything from them
It said online that my next service date was Wednesday, August 12, and that didn't happen either. They usually come on the same day of the week, every 2 weeks, so I don't know whether to expect him this coming Wednesday... Or next Wednesday... Or if the website is just full of it.

Ha! I just went and checked the website again, and now it says Tuesday, August 18.
#89 of 110 Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madders View Post
me too

how irritating.
#90 of 110 Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 AM

Our stuff was delivered on the day the website said it would be. The driver called me in the morning to pick a good time and he arrived promptly.

The corn dogs are really good, my 5 year meat eater is very happy. (I know : but I ration them out somewhat responsibly).

We haven't tried the pizza yet.

There was a problem with chicken lime fiesta item. The package had been damaged so I had to choose another free item. I chose the Mediterranean vegetable couscous and, oh my, am I happy that I did! It is wonderful, right up my alley. Not sure how often I can order it, since it is 10 bucks for 4 servings of a side dish but I will try to fit it in as a treat. I loved it as is, but I can envision adding a little goat cheese or feta, fresh tomatoes, maybe some olives (black or kalamata), and having a wonderful main dish.

I added the pierogies to my order while he was here but we haven't tried them yet. I think I will be pleased, though, because it's hard to find pierogies where I live that aren't freezer burned. It's not a dish that is popular in the local culture and doesn't sell fast enough. I will let you all know how they taste.

My driver was fine, he actually seemed quite happy when I explained I would be more likely to order only once a month, at the beginning of the month (food stamp time). We live in an apartment and another woman came out when she saw the Schwan's truck and will probably make an order the next time, so he was pleased.

Overall a good experience. I got all that food for 20 bucks. I know that the food is too expensive for a regular basis but I know I can shop judiciously and be able to order something here and there. I really want more of the Mediterranean couscous, though, and that could break the bank!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page