RANT School Supply list - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2012, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have never heard of that :\ I would stock up on the things you KNOW he'll need like crayons, glue sticks, safety scissors, backpack, lunch box, kleenex, etc. If those things don't end up on his list(but bet they will, they seem to be the standard), you can always keep them at home for art time :)!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 AM

Where I teach the supply lists usually go out with the report cards in June, and the kindergarten ones are mailed at the same time. As a teacher, I would rather have the supplies that first week so I can get everything labeled and ready to go. I wouldn't want to be doing that after the first week!

Also I find here everything goes on sale after the first week of school because everyone is usually finished buying and they have a lot to get rid of.

Also the copy paper was something I considered putting on my next list...we use a lot of it, and last year I bought my own. Teachers pay so much out of pocket, and I know I really try to only put things on the list that we will absolutely use. Dry erase markers are going on my next list because I bought a class set of individual whiteboards (out of my own pocket) for them to use and they used my expo markers all year. I kept having to replace them because they forgot tout the caps on, or pushed down too hard and ruined them. I ended up buying a student set and my own set that they weren't allowed to use. Another thing we do is send extra supplies that didn't end up getting used home so they could be saved for next year. I had a student almost every year I have taught not bring supplies due to financial need, and I ended up buying certain things myself.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We go to a bare bones private school and still have to provide what would be considered office supplies. I guess I just consider it normal these days of severe budget cuts. After school activities (or at least some of ours) require donations of supplies so I stock up periodically through the year in preparation. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That sucks.  Do you know anyone who was in K last year?  Perhaps they could give you a basic list.  otherwise I would buy the basics and save your receipts.   Worse than missing the deals is everything being sold out.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM

You might be shocked, but there will be very little to nothing left at the end of the year. I easily go through 30-40 dry erase markers in a year. More with younger kids because when they use them, they press really hard and wear them out really fast!

I find the younger the grade, the more specific the list. I teach high school; I require paper, a binder, something to write with. (A binder because of all the hole punched handouts I use. But if you really, really want a notebook and folder, that's cool too) But I don't have to deal with little ones coveting what the other children have.

My two high schoolers don't get the list until the first day of school, but it was pretty easy to figure out what they would need. Some teachers were specific and we had to spend about an additional $30, but I spend more on my own classroom.

If your child is going to be at a school for a while, you might want to see about donations. We cannot ask for towels, wipes, sanitizer, but we have it donated. We also have major companies (refineries actually) in the area that give us money for things like that or for major things we need that benefit the students. There are lots of grants out there for schools. We have a person who secures all of that for us. More than pays for her salary. (High school PTAs are not really active in our area).

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 AM

At my kids' school grades 1-6 have their lists posted on the school website early during the summer.  But for some reason the kindergarten list gets mailed to the parents about a week or two before school.  It makes me so mad too!  I'm glad I didn't go ahead and buy things without knowing for sure what he'd need because what he needs is completely different than what my daughter needed two years ago in kindergarten, with a different teacher but same school.  And they asked specifically for Crayola twistable crayons, which cost $3.99 instead of the regular 24 pack that you can often find on sale for 20 cents!  We rent a very cheap house in a very expensive school district so I'm guessing they don't think price matters too much to most parents.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 PM

Our son started 1st this week and no list of individual supplies needed.  In fact the teacher told us at orientation night and had a note in the packet to please not send anything along as it clutters their desks and creates issues between the kiddos.  Our district is really struggling (public school) so I was really surprised we didn't need to provide anything. 

The teacher did have a wish list of sorts for items that parents could provide for the class if they wanted - dry erase markers, dry erasers, germ gell, etc. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

User Tag List