RANT School Supply list - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is starting K next month. The school will not give us a supply list until the first day of class!!
That means we can't take advantage of any 'Back to school' sales, and we will not have much time to shop around for good prices :

It is just really frustrating because I feel that we will likely pay 3x as much as we would if we already had the list and could hit multiple sales.

Is this typical??
#2 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Unfortunately yes it's pretty typical. What I do is go ahead and buy the basics while they are on sale. Crayons, safety scissors, paper amd pencils. Probably markers and colored pencils too.
#3 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 PM

I personally would be going and buying what typical supplies a kindy kid would need. Crayons, scissors, construction paper. IDK, that seems really odd to me.

The dollar store is awesome for all this stuff, most of the time too, even not at back to school.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#4 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Sometimes stores, like Walmart, will put out lists from other schools or a basic back to school list. You can check for those even if you don't plan to buy from there.

I googled and found this

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 PM

At the school my girls go to the kindergarten list is put in a folder we pick up about two weeks before school starts. It is also included on the end of year newsletter that comes home with students the last week of school and is also posted on the school website. Perhaps your school does the same thing.
#6 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 06:44 PM

I'd check & see if there are lists at the stores. Are there any neighborhood parents you could ask what they had to buy before?

Here for K they don't require anything but a backpack, lunchkit & shoes. Everything else is supplied.
#7 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 PM

I'd start stocking up on the deals anyway - you know they'll get used eventually, and even if they don't you can make an arts & crafts basket for a Christmas gift.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#8 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 PM

I have never seen a school supply list before school actually starts, perhaps it's a local thing? (I am in Alberta now, and lived for most of my school years in Quebec) Here, our sales seem to last until mid-September (although they are picked over quite a bit)

It seems odd to me that schools have published lists that they hand out prior to school.

That being said, my experience with elementary schools out here is vis a vis my DSD, so maybe her mom gets one? I doubt it though.
#9 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Definitely pick up the typical stuff now, you can probably use it at home if by some chance it isn't on the list.

Things I know we needed for K last year :24 pk crayons, lots of glue sticks, scissors, big pink erasers, pencils, watercolors, markers.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#10 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 08:06 PM

I would also pick up ziplock bags in snack size and the larger size because that is always on the list. As well as baby wipes, cloxox wipes and tissue.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#11 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I am frustrated because all the other grades get the list ahead of time, except kindy. It just seems weird to me...why do we have to wait??

Anyway, I like the advice about getting the basics. I suppose I could even save the receipts and return anything that isn't on the list if it really added up.

And I just realized that my first child is getting ready to start Kindergarten :
I am going back to school shopping but I AM THE ONE PAYING THIS TIME!!! AND I am NOT the one going back to school...lol
#12 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you sure the school won't order the stuff? We never had to buy anything for the kids' kindergarten class. They each got a big bag of stuff in the first week of class and we just had to write a check for it. I'd confirm about that before stocking up on random supplies.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#13 of 37 Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post
Are you sure the school won't order the stuff? We never had to buy anything for the kids' kindergarten class. They each got a big bag of stuff in the first week of class and we just had to write a check for it. I'd confirm about that before stocking up on random supplies.
They sent a letter weeks ago telling us to 'hold off on buying school supplies' because they would 'provide a list of what you need to buy' once school starts .

It is super annoying to me because I don't like doing things last minute. I like to prepare and I don't understand WHY they can't just tell us Now.

Of course I'm not gonna complain to them or anything...I am sure they have their reasons. But it sure is annoying!
#14 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 12:26 AM

Have you checked the school website? Ours have lists up.
#15 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
Have you checked the school website? Ours have lists up.
Ours have the list on the website by grade.
#16 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Our lists are available in July usually. This year though the PTA is coordinating the supplies for elementary and we just send a check. $30 for grade 1, $34 for grade 4. I spent probably closer to $50 for my 6th grader. Those big binders are pricey!

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
#17 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 PM

I wouldn't buy stuff without the list in your hand; they are very specific about brands, sizes, etc. (certain oz bottles of Elmer's School glue, certain brands of watercolors, certain brands of sharpened pencils, etc)

Our school sent home a list for the following list at the end of last year, and the local Targets and Wal Marts have them up, too.

If you don't mind returning and re-buying, then taking advantage of the sales would be good, but doing a bunch of returns when everyone is shopping for supplies might be a real drag, too.

I feel ya, I really do. I posted a school supply list rant last week

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#18 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Ours have the list on the website by grade.

ours do too. my kids are in private school (K-8), and their school website is the 'hub' for everything that's going on. the kids teachers post everything from class assignments to field trip info, etc. the lunch menu, dress code info, school newspaper.....everything is on the website.

i would definitely check to see if your school has the same thing. we've ALWAYS got our lists early in the packet of info for registration and now it's available online early as well.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#19 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

There is def not a supply list available for K until the first day of class. That is what they told us in a letter they sent us at the beginning of summer. All the other grades got a letter telling them what they need to buy, but for SOME reason they make K wait :

Thanks for all of the replies!!!
#20 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 07:37 PM

I wonder if they want K to wait because they don't really need anything?
#21 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM

delete
#22 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I wonder if they want K to wait because they don't really need anything?
But the letter says they will give us a supply list on the first day of class, so it really sounds like we will be buying stuff. Besides, I can't imagine not having to buy school supplies, where would they come from? Doesn't everyone in public school have to buy supplies?
#23 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 PM

DS is starting KG:

he needed 4 boxes of 24 crayola crayons
one plastic supplies box
one pair fiskars scissors
10 yellow #2 pencils
1 bottle 4 oz. Elmers school glue
1 pkg Crayola markers
1 large box tissues
1 pkg gallon size ziploc bags (boys)
one sturdy plastic folder
4 or 5 jumbo Elmers glue sticks

Not too bad. Maybe it will give you some hints. I don't remember how much it all cost, but they like had crayons for 27c a box or something like that. Cheaper now.
#24 of 37 Old 08-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
But the letter says they will give us a supply list on the first day of class, so it really sounds like we will be buying stuff. Besides, I can't imagine not having to buy school supplies, where would they come from? Doesn't everyone in public school have to buy supplies?
As I mentioned earlier out K class has everything supplied. It is part of the school budget to supply everything for K. All they need is a backpack, lunchkit & shoes.

Your best bet would be to find a parent who has had their kids in that K class in the last 1-2 years & find out from them.
#25 of 37 Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 PM

We got the school list two weeks early… and all I can say is ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!. Please explain to me why I have to buy four reams of copy paper for the school office (as noted on the list). A four pack of dry erase markers and an eraser. Three tubes of handy wipes. Hand sanitizer (ok that I can live with) color specific folders. One yellow, red, blue, purple ECT. Toilet paper! Paper towels. Pens and pencils for the teacher!

Not to mention I purchased all this last year as well. This is a charter school. The classes only have 10-15 kids. If I do the math that’s 10 kids x one four pack of markers = 40 markers, same with the paper and the handy wipes and the erasers Just what are they doing at the end of the year with the stuff that did not get used. Selling it black market!

. This does not include the art supplies, paper and pencils for my child and NOT the office.

This is completely out of hand, when I called the school on it they said the extra supplies go to kids whose parents can not afford the supplies list. PEOPLE I CAN BARELY AFORD THE SUPLIE LIST. As it is I have to send my kid to school with out some of this stuff for the teaches office so I can afford the supplies he needs. And to top that off the school keeps track of what you did not bring in and if you don’t fulfill the list they hold you child report card un till you do!

#26 of 37 Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 PM

My daughter is entering first grade this year. Last year for K, all we had to provide was a backpack and a folder. The (public) school provided everything else, mostly funded by the Booster Club. If you know any parents with kids a little older who go to the school, they will be your best resource.

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#27 of 37 Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaD View Post

We got the school list two weeks early… and all I can say is ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!. Please explain to me why I have to buy four reams of copy paper for the school office (as noted on the list). A four pack of dry erase markers and an eraser. Three tubes of handy wipes. Hand sanitizer (ok that I can live with) color specific folders. One yellow, red, blue, purple ECT. Toilet paper! Paper towels. Pens and pencils for the teacher!

In my school district, they ask parents to do this because the municipal school budget doesn't run to copy paper for the office.  And it's not like they don't need it - they print worksheets and permission slips and calendars and notes to send home.  The black market for dry erasers is pretty dead.

I haven't heard of schools holding report cards hostage though.  Usually, they give out the list, parents buy what they can afford, and if you don't bring your share of copy paper, oh well.  I'm pretty well aware that some of the crayons, paper and pencils I send in with my kid are being used by kids whose parents have more trouble coming up with the money.  I'm okay with that.

There are a couple of ways to stop this from happening - PTA fundraisers are the big one.  If you happen to be well-off, you could approach your public school about donating a big wodge of school supplies, so that they don't have to ask parents and kids to bring them in.  Or you could lobby your local government for better educational funding, so that the school could just afford to order whatever supplies students were expected to need - I adore that idea most of all, but it's hard work, and it doesn't pay off in the immediate short-term.

CatsCradle likes this.
#28 of 37 Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 PM

The coloured folders are common.  They will probably have all red for math, all yellow for reading, etc type of stuff.  Each subject is the same colour.  It makes organizing much easier.

#29 of 37 Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 AM

My daughter goes to a private school but we still had to buy some stuff that was non-academic related.  Stuff like copy paper, Kleenexes and hand sanitizer benefited her kindergarden class only.

Some of the things that we had to get which I know are pretty common across the board:

File folders (I learned my lesson last year that the plastic ones are better than the paper/card ones)

Pad of construction paper

Pack of dry erase markers (these were used a lot on the dry erase boards and the little hand-held boards)

Elmers glue

Scissors

2 reams of copy paper

Hand sanitizer

Pack of glue sticks

Pencils

Box of gallon size Zip Lock bags

Kleenexes (or any brand) (I'm sure this is highly needed during cold season!)

We didn't get the list until the weekend before school started, but the primary reason was so that inventory could be done of last year's supplies that remained in the classroom so that they could either reuse or reduce the various requirements. 

My suggestion would be to go ahead and get stuff like glue and glue sticks, pencils and file folders now while they are on sale.  I needed these things at home too, so even if say, the glue sticks aren't on the list, it is likely that your kindergartener will have homework or projects to do at home where these will come in handy.  We go through a lot of glue sticks!

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#30 of 37 Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

School supplies often go on sale after the school rush, especially in drugstores like CVS, Riteaid, etc.  One year I bought enough notebooks, folders, etc to last for several years.  And the prices were about 75% off.  Totally worth it to write yourself a note to haunt the drugstores around the third week of Sept and for a couple of weeks afterwards... Staples has also been running some amazing sales, I imagine just as loss leaders.  For just a few dollars I have copy paper, lined paper, pens and pencils, erasers, etc.  What are people doing for book covers?  I used to use grocery bags (when I could still find heavy ones) but my kids school doesn't want those:  booksox are expensive.  Was thinking of using fabric. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page