Flipping Q-Tips! Or Why is Non-Food 1/3 of My Grocery Budget? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 131 Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
brymommy, I do pickle (beets, cucumbers, okra) and use vinegar to make ricotta cheese. And I also use it as fabric softener.

But most of it goes for cleaning. I clean the kitchen table multiple times a day with a spray bottle of 50%-50% water and vinegar. I Shmop my floor (not often enough) with a basin of vinegar and water. I dust once a week with feather duster that's been sprayed with vinegar and water first. I clean windows, mirrors, electronics, and marked on walls with vinegar and water and a microfiber rag. I clean my bathroom sink and toilet with vinegar and water daily. And DSS and DD each have their own spray bottle to help me. So yeah, we go thru a ton of vinegar here.
I wipe down my counters with a spray bottle filled with about a pint of water and about a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid. For washing mirrors, I use a vinegar/water mixture that's about 1/8th vinegar and the rest water. A 50/50 mix of vinegar and water seems really strong to me!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#62 of 131 Old 08-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leta get to know Walgreen's it will be your friend. Free toothbrushes, floss, and toothpaste are especially easy to get (although kid toothbrushes are harder to get deals on than adult brushes). I have also scored tom's of maine on clearance

If you read money saving mom or other coupon type sites they will tell you the deals that week. Also I often get overage that I can put towards things like foil, baking soda, or the single roll of walgreens toilet paper (which is a lot like the Scotts). I sometimes end up with some things that I have no real use for (i.e. diabetic monitors I donate or low dose asprin which I give to my dad). For me it worth it, I have a Walgreen's on my way home from work (it just yards out of my way) and I get to go without kids (because they are at home with DH). If there is an especially appealing deal I might to it 4 or 5 times during the week.
#63 of 131 Old 08-16-2009, 02:56 AM

I don't think what you are spending sounds that excessive.

When we create our budget, toiletries, medicines/vitamins, pet, and office supplies would all go into separate categories. Household items like tp and soap do count as grocery. Most months my non-food grocery items are between $25-50.

We budget about $40 for toiletries and $25 for medicines/vitamins. And about $10 for office/computer supplies. We don't have pets. Even without pets, that adds up to $100-125. This is within our budget. There are areas we could cut back if we needed to and I do try to be thrifty in many categories so we have extra for things we do enjoy or want.
#64 of 131 Old 08-16-2009, 03:35 AM

ok, so I looked at your list and my best suggest is don't get them from the grocery store. The prices are so much higher there. These aren't really grocery items as much as household items and they fit in a different place in our budget

Look for sales and stock up
if you aren't buying speciality (ie recycled materials) get them from the dollar store
if you are buying speciality then order form a co-op like Azure Standard
buy in bulk at a membership store (check prices though)

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#65 of 131 Old 08-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
We rinse and re-use straws. We have had the same 10 leftover fast food straws for years. I am not even sure where they came from since we do not even eat fast food....
We do this too. In fact, I have a long skinny brush that I use to wash them out with. I kind of forget that this is not normal...until I offer guests a straw to go with their mojitos and then realize that all our straws have teethmarks on them...

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#66 of 131 Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post
4. In Canada, there's no such thing as getting paid to take merchandise, and if there is a "try it free" coupon it is for expensive gimmick cleaning product that is not necessary, never staples like toothpaste or tampons. Coupons in general are much rarer.
Exactly! It's so annoying to read about the amazing sales/coupon deals they offer in the States, but we just don't have the same thing here. Coupons, yes, but not the way they do there. Once in awhile, I'll have a coupon for something that's also on sale, but that's about the extent of our coupon extravaganza! I am so envious of the blogs dedicated to getting almost a whole month's worth of shopping for free.
#67 of 131 Old 08-16-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
As for how often I buy what, these are educated guesses on my part. (For example, I know that the package of doodie bags contains 120 bags. The dog averages two dumps per walk, and gets walked every day, so a package lasts me about two months.)
the only thing i have to suggest is this: that is a LOT of dog poo! no offense but purina is full of fillers that don't really offer any nutrition but make it seem like a lot of food. corn is probably on the ingredient list.

you may want to consider switching to a more expensive dog food because your dog will eat less of it because it has more nutrition per cup so the bag will last longer.

if you don't mind me asking, how much does your dog eat per day and how much does she weigh?

we have an 85 pound dog that goes through a 40# bag of costco dog food (~$25) every month and a half. she free feeds but i'd say she probably eats about two cups per day. i used to work at a vet clinic and a pet store and it's hard for people to understand why anyone would want to spend more on dog food but it REALLY makes a difference in the stool of the dog. the boarders that were on purina had these huge yellowish poos all.the.time and the ones on the better foods had smaller better formed darker poos twice a day. they also ate less food.

eh. who needs a signature?
#68 of 131 Old 08-16-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think our dog poops more than normal, . Her stools are always well formed and she very, very rarely poops in our yard. 90%+ of the time, the two dumps on the walk are the only times that she goes- she's a fastidious dog. Our yard is small and I don't think she wants to mess up her "den".

She weighs between 65 and 70 pounds and a 25# bag of dog food lasts her a month, so she's eating about 14 ounces a day, which is, what, about 1 and 3/4 cups? Something like that. She also free-feeds. She's a healthy weight, according to our vet. You can feel her ribs.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#69 of 131 Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I don't think our dog poops more than normal, . Her stools are always well formed and she very, very rarely poops in our yard. 90%+ of the time, the two dumps on the walk are the only times that she goes- she's a fastidious dog. Our yard is small and I don't think she wants to mess up her "den".

She weighs between 65 and 70 pounds and a 25# bag of dog food lasts her a month, so she's eating about 14 ounces a day, which is, what, about 1 and 3/4 cups? Something like that. She also free-feeds. She's a healthy weight, according to our vet. You can feel her ribs.
hmmm... my dogs have always gone once per walk twice a day (so two walks = two poos) so four poos per day seems like a lot to me.

i wouldn't think she'd be over or underweight necessarily, just that it might be taking more food to keep her there, but 1-3/4 cups seems about right for that size. it is possible that purina has bettered it's formula since i last checked...

#70 of 131 Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, see, we only take one walk a day. So those two poos per walk are the only times all day that she goes. Because this dog poo conversation wasn't detailed enough.

Oh, and as it turns out, my pets DON'T eat Purina- DH buys the pet food, and puts it in the container, so I can't recall the last time I saw an actual bag. Turns out he switched them to Dad's months ago. Who knew?

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#71 of 131 Old 08-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First Aide: Any chance you have a flex spending account for medical and can buy your contact solution, bandaids, etc pre-tax at least?

Staples: Can you buy a staple-less stapler and be done forever?

Food Storage: How do you use your tinfoil? A single roll seems to last us for years. Are you using tinfoil, ceran wrap, etc. when reusable food storage containers can be used instead?

Pens: Can't you just steal them from the bank like everyone else? j/k

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#72 of 131 Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM

okay, sounds like you've got the dog poo situation under control !!!

love those pets :

#73 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 PM

I personally think Leta is amazing.

I do think that's pricey for baking soda. Have you checked the pool supply section of your big box store? This time of the year it's on sale pretty cheap (sorry, don't remember the price/amount right now)

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#74 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

A stapleless stapler? I just Googled this, and they look so cool. Sooo cool. And they're five or six bucks. I really want one now.

Yes, we spend a not-insignificant amount of money on office supplies for being just a little household. I think it's a combination of things- a holdover from when I was selling on eBay a lot, and the fact that my kids would much rather do art with my office supplies than with their art supplies. I'm trying to think of a way to combat this, but so far I'm coming up blank- their art supplies are in an easy accessible desk, well organized, they have everything, including a work table- they just like mine more. Maybe I'll hide mine...

Here's what I have figured out:

-Tinfoil, plastic wrap, and parchment are coming from the restaurant supply store from now on. The big boxes should last us 5+ years.

-I'm going to spring for the dispenser, and switch to the napkin-like TP. This will be easier for toddler hands, produce less waste, and will be cheaper in the long run. Also from the restaurant supply store.

-I'm going to spend $50 for 1000 zip top bags from Amazon. They are 5 mil plastic, so thick, and since we re-use, they should last a while. (We spent $40 on 1000 bread bags 2 years ago, and even with 100% home bread making, have only used about a fourth of them. So I'm thinking the ziplocs will last around 5 years.)

-I'm going back to making my own laundry detergent. I'm subbing out the Fels Naptha with Sun w/Bleach Alternative. This will be less work, cheaper, and should work better. I'm just going to dissolve the powder in hot was water before I switch to cold, so I should notice only a marginal increase in my gas bill, if it increases at all, and I'll be saving about $70/yr, so I'll still come out ahead.

-I'm going to try growing aloe vera and catnip. This won't eliminate the need to buy it, but should reduce.

-I'm going to check out Walgreens and try to get toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, and razor blades cheaper or free.

-I'm going to start using a measuring cup as the food scoop for my fat, fat cats and hopefully reduce the amount they eat as well as improving their health.

-I'm going to spend $25 on a gallon of pine tar, and make enough soap with it to last us a decade.

-I found some floursack towels. This will not eliminate our cheesecloth needs entirely, but will reduce them by about 80%.

-I'm going to go to Office Max for our office supplies (including a way cool staple-free stapler!) and buy printer paper in the big box... and I'm going to HIDE it.

-I'm not buying dog treats anymore. DH has been bringing the dog beef bones home from work, and she likes those way better, anyway.

I think if I do all this stuff, it will take our average from $100 a month down to about $60, if my math and estimations are correct. (If I can get down to $50/mo, I'm going to be happy and just try to stay there.) So my "investment" purchases will take about three or four months to pay for themselves, and after that we should be saving $40 a month on household supplies.

The other nice thing about bulk shopping is that it really shortens the amount of time our monthly stock-up takes. Because we don't buy a whole lot of different items from the grocery/big box store, as it is right now I do the OAM shopping trip in less than 3 hours, including the 1 hour driving time, assuming I'm alone. This should shave that time down further still.

#75 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM

How do you make your own sunscreen?
#76 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
mtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kis95 View Post
Exactly! It's so annoying to read about the amazing sales/coupon deals they offer in the States, but we just don't have the same thing here. Coupons, yes, but not the way they do there. Once in awhile, I'll have a coupon for something that's also on sale, but that's about the extent of our coupon extravaganza! I am so envious of the blogs dedicated to getting almost a whole month's worth of shopping for free.
save.ca has some good coupons. smartcanucks.ca has forums listing who has the best sales, how to match coupons with the sales flyers etc. Nothing like in the States but I've saved quite a bit since finding these two sites.
#77 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I put zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (both white powders, purchased on eBay) in lotion or some other medium (like coconut oil or vegetable shortening). To make it waterproof, I melt it with grated beeswax and a few drops of glycerin.

#78 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Sounds like a plan, Leta!

I want to know what kind of soap you make with pine tar, though. Sounds icky to me, but it is just the word "tar".....

Also, I get my baking soda from the restaurant supply store for a lot less than other sources around here.

I need a better source for coconut oil. Where do you get yours?

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#79 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

I need to put that on my list- find a better source for baking soda! I need to check the pet store, the feed store, and the Rec Room (our pool supply store).

I just buy the coconut oil at the grocery store. WM has the LouAna brand, it's about $2.50 for a quart.

Pine tar makes pine tar soap . It's wonderful for dry scalp/dandruff. I've heard it's good for psorisis, too, but fortunately none of us have that. It's like the natural alternative to that Neutrogena coal tar shampoo.

#80 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Chicky! But, honestly, I have MDC to thank for much of my current skill set, so I think all you other mamas are amazing, too.

#81 of 131 Old 08-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Gonna have to try the sunscreen for long days in the sun. We mostly just use coconut oil (inside and out) so we tan instead of burn.

Could you post your recipe for pine tar soap, please? Does it make a bar, or a soft soap? What all do you use it for? Just shampoo? And where do you get the pine tar?

TIA!

Oh, for art, why not let them do it at the kitchen table? My kids have a great art area w/HUGE desk, and tons of supplies, but they always prefer the table in the center of the action, lol. In addition to the regular crayons, markers, glue, etc, I always include staples and stapler, lots of scotch tape, labels of different sizes (make great 'stamps'), envelopes from junk mail, stuff like that.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#82 of 131 Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

They have pine tar at our feed store. (Horses need it for something, I think.) You can also get it on Amazon.

The soap is hard bar soap. We use it on our hair, but you can use it on your body, too. The second post in this thread has decent instructions. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, so you don't want my instructions.

Umm, I'd let them do art at the kitchen table, but it's usually covered in laundry.

#83 of 131 Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
They have pine tar at our feed store. (Horses need it for something, I think.) You can also get it on Amazon.

The soap is hard bar soap. We use it on our hair, but you can use it on your body, too. The second post in this thread has decent instructions. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, so you don't want my instructions.

Umm, I'd let them do art at the kitchen table, but it's usually covered in laundry.
Thanks. I'll check that link out. I'm betting it's the home made soap thread I forgot to get back to, lol.

Um, our laundry use to be piled on the table or the couch, or the floor til I got more time and actually started putting it away, lol. I say make the kids put up all the laundry so they can do art at the table, lol!

#84 of 131 Old 08-20-2009, 07:41 PM

:

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#85 of 131 Old 08-21-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Is there some sort of Walgreens program that I need to know about? I just looked thru their website (for coupons) and their flyer (for sale items) and with the exception of a pack of loose leaf paper on sale (which everyone has right now), there was not one single thing I would buy. Out of around 50 items.

Same thing with the coupon sites. I've looked at three, and of all them, the only coupon that I even considered was for Scott TP, but I decided to switch to the napkin type TP, so that would be pointless, too. Out of 100+ coupons.

I bulk buy crunchy shampoo and dishsoap, I never buy yogurts or granola bars (I make them), I use cloth and a diaphragm so I have no use for Always or Tampax.

The problem I have is with things like Qtips and anitbiotic ointment and so forth is that I buy the store brand already, so the name brand with a coupon is rarely, if ever, cheaper. So taking the time (and ink!) to print the coupons off is a waste.

I took a look at that Jane4girls website, the one where she spends $800 a YEAR on groceries, including health and beauty. And it's pretty amazing. But even using those tactics (which I really couldn't, as we don't have those shopping options where I live), I run aground on principles of personal philosophy.

I don't want to use storebought, synthetic personal grooming items. So I limit what I use, make my own and buy what I can't make- which is cheaper than the "conventional" alternative, but more expensive than Jane's way.

Same thing with food. We just don't eat packaged, prepared food- our exceptions are the occaisional box of Morningstar Farms chicken wings, the rare bag of tater tots, and the very frequent bags of frozen breaded okra. We make everything else, from veggie burgers and sausage to meat sausage and bacon, to ricotta, which goes into (frozen) homemade spinach ravioli. If I brought home frozen waffles in a box, not only would no one eat them, DH would call me a philistine.

This isn't just me being a snob, though. DH and I have made a personal commitment to the environment, and buying a bunch of overpackaged stuff runs counter to that commitment. We put out one bag of trash per week, and 2/3 of that is cat litter (and I've been trying to figure out what to do about that for years- if you have any suggestions, please spam me!). We put out one large bag of paper/cardboard recycling per week, and one small bag of each plastic, glass, and metal per month. And I'd love to go lower. I'd be bummed if saving a few bucks meant more trash, more resources used.

Plus, I have this really out-there, hippy dream that someday we're going to homestead. I'm doing more all the time to do as much as I can here to live that lifestyle. My goal is to only need to go to town for supplies once a year, the way I only shop once a month now.

So I guess I'm going to have to focus on buying in bulk even more, reducing where we can, and replacing what I can with durable goods.

Thanks to everyone whose responded, and thanks for all the suggestions, and thanks for listening to me whine as I figure this stuff out.

#86 of 131 Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You need to flush your cat litter!

I use world's best multicat. it may be pricier than what you pay, idk, but ts better for the earth. Puts the waste in the waste stream where it belongs and can be properly treated. Worlds Best is made from corn, but there are a few other flushing litters out there.

If you get any new cats, you may also be able to train them to use the potty. My cousin did it with her new cat. They have an insert that is a litter pan which sits in/over the toilet and ever week you take out a ring - so at first it has a little hole, then a bigger one, until the cat squats on the toilet rim to go.

You really may be near the bottom of your budget. Honestly I think what you spend is pretty darn good when you're including Brita filters and such. I'm taking notes and hope to be able to evaluate my own spending similarly after we get settled.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#87 of 131 Old 08-21-2009, 04:44 PM

FYI on the cheesecloth...it's on sale for 33 cents a yard at Hancock Fabrics, if you have one nearby.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#88 of 131 Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
We rinse and re-use straws. We have had the same 10 leftover fast food straws for years. I am not even sure where they came from since we do not even eat fast food....
)
My mom always washed straws when I was growing up. The straws must have come home from a restaurant, she certainly won't not have purchased them.

Someone comments about serving guests with straws with teeth markers. That is too funny.

Sooo many things mentioned take me back to living at home. Like:
  • the lack of cotton balls/pads and using TP for everything.
  • Washing bread bags (sniff, reminds me of my dearly departed Nana)
  • Pine tar soap - we always had that in the house.
  • getting stuff from restaurant supply places - we have a roll of alum foil that is easily 20 years old (we don't use it often)

Ziploc bags were like GOLD. They were reused until they turned lacy.

My family was frugal and eco-minded for generations, looong before it became mainstream, trendy, necessary, or however it applies to one's personal choices.

It was annoying back then but now I "get it."

I was in awe when I would go to friend's houses and they had such wonders as scented hand soaps that were purchased and not lifted from a long ago stay at a hotel, more than one brand of shampoo in the shower and, gasp, NAME BRAND shampoo at that! One was allowed to drink juice that wasn't 50% watered down!

Now that I have a choice, I choose to drink my juice watered down, it just tastes better to me. And I can't stand artificially scented body products.

Depending on how one stocks, I can totally agree with the getting out of the stocking mode habit.

When I stopped stocking up (I would go nuts when things were on sale) I truly learned what I could do without. I eliminated a lot of items.

But, I live close to where I shop. If going to the store was something that needed to be planned, I might feel different.

DH uses those Mach 3 blades and I have found some great deals on Amazon. I will make an exception to my stocking rule for super cheap blades

Concerning cat litter, a few ideas:

I have a friend that uses some sort of pine or corn-based cat litter. It is (mostly) natural and flushable. I have no idea on price.

I haven't tried this myself but the woman we got our cat from uses only shredded newspaper in the litter box. Obviously, it needs to be changed daily.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#89 of 131 Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... I have two cats, one of whom is huge (he's half Persian and half big yellow barn cat, so no small guy). My "litter box" is a plastic storage box sans lid, because I couldn't find a litter box big enough.

Also, both my cats like deep litter. I change the box once a week, which, for two cats, I think is pretty good.

I tried Feline Pine, and it sucked. Which is unfortunate, as I had used All Pet Pine for my dearly departed guinea pig and loved it.

I use 75# of clay cat litter a month... how long do you think world's best would last?

#90 of 131 Old 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM

What about using pine shavings from a feed store? $5 for a big huge bag. Then you could compost it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page