Flipping Q-Tips! Or Why is Non-Food 1/3 of My Grocery Budget? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so crunchy. Sooo crunchy. I use cloth EVERYTHING, make sunscreen and conditioner, I don't buy hair product or shave gel, make my own laundry stain remover mix, no conventional cleaning products, use almost everything sparingly... and I still spend $100 a month on non-food grocery items. Bah!

To get specific, since July 21st, I have spent $167 on food for two adults, an 11 y.o. boy who eats like a man, a toddler, and an EBF babe. I normally spend about $200 a month, so this is normal and good. (Since 7/21, we've been out to eat three times, always snacks, and spent less than $30 on that, total.)

So my food budget is like the envy of the universe, right?

But then, in that same span of time, I've spent $106 on non-food things. It seemed like a lot, so I went thru my shopping list/price book software, and compiled a list of all our regular non-food consumable purchases, and took a stab at how much we use, did my math, tallied everything... and it came out to $97 per month.

So $106 is normal. :

How do people buying Swiffers and paper towels and tampons afford to live? I seriously do not get it.

Can anyone help me? Anybody want to look at my list and see what, if anything, we can trim? I hate spending good money on disposible stuff!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#2 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 02:31 AM

I am interested to see your non-food list and help you analyze! I can't imagine what adds up to $100 -- it makes me think maybe I am secretly losing money that way, too.

Also, I know you have a great pantry-stocking system for buying food. But coupons combined w/ sales are actually great for non-food items. I don't use coupons for food at all but have recently gotten into it for drugstore type stuff and it's great. I just stocked rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and bandaids for a super low price. You can stock any OTC medicines you know you use, throat lozenges etc and then you don't have the last-minute trip to the store where you'll pay whatever just to feel a little better.

Also, after you determine what you really do need, maybe you should be making a 1/x yr trip to Costco (w/ a friend who has a membership...) for non-food items.
#3 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post

So my food budget is like the envy of the universe, right?
:

Could you post what you've bought, non-food wise?
#4 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 AM

[QUOTE=Leta;14223253]

How do people buying Swiffers and paper towels and tampons afford to live? I seriously do not get it.

[QUOTE]

I get all those things for free with coupons and sales... I havent paid for tampons in years, same with swiffers and paper towels... many times the store pays me to take the merchandise from them.... gotta love that.
#5 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM

I have a similar issue. (I do buy paper towels but we use very few. I don't buy swiffers or menstrual products) Here are the reasons in our case.
1. My husband gets sinus headaches so uses a lot of decongestant. I buy store-brand on sale, etc, but it adds up.
2. Vitamins!
3. I can't use regular toothpaste because SLS gives me canker sores, so I buy one of the two sensodyne flavours that don't have it. Sensodyne on sale is 4x as much as colgate on sale.
4. In Canada, there's no such thing as getting paid to take merchandise, and if there is a "try it free" coupon it is for expensive gimmick cleaning product that is not necessary, never staples like toothpaste or tampons. Coupons in general are much rarer.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#6 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface View Post
I am interested to see your non-food list and help you analyze! I can't imagine what adds up to $100 -- it makes me think maybe I am secretly losing money that way, too.
Me, too! I tend lump grocery and non-grocery household stuff, but this makes me reconsider.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#7 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, here's my list. It's pretty detailed. In reading the responses, I have a couple of thoughts:

-I have tried couponing, with limited success. We don't have any double coupon stores, a CVS, or a Sam's/BJ's/Costco. Plus, I buy store brands except where noted in italics.

-I am going to GFS next shopping trip and buying restaraunt size tinfoil, plastic wrap, and parchment, so I'll be able to trim there.

-I am probably slightly overestimating how much we spend on our pets (two cats, one medium-large dog). The total is probably closer to $35/mo. That said, I am not giving up my dog doodie bags! They are my luxury item. They fit in a dispenser on her leash so I never forget them, and they generally make an unpleasant task easier.

-Though I buy seven (!!!) different types of plastic bags, I buy them very infrequently. We have to have the recycling and trash bags per city rules :, but the others we conciously try to minimize through reuse and other strategies. (The ziploc bags are used when we IQF fruits and veggies to feed the freezer; SuckNSeal bags are used for meats and homemade veggie burgers/sausage.)

-Same with the TP and paper napkins- we buy less- a lot less- than we used to because I use cloth for pee and the napkins are only used to clean our cast iron/blue steel pans and if the cats puke. So I don't know how much lower I could realistically go on the few plastics/paper goods we purchase.

-I still use homemade laundry detergent for diapers, but I switched to Coldwater Tide (1 fl oz per load- yes, I measure) for general laundry to save on our hot water bill. But now I'm thinking that maybe the savings don't offset the cost of the Tide- anybody have any thoughts on this?

-The list of food items used for non-food purposes is a quirk of my accounting system because all the stores I shop at break the receipt totals down into food/non-food, so this helps me to realize that I actually spend slightly less on food we eat than would appear. Also, when I started obsessively tracking our spending a few years ago, we got $350/mo in food stamps, so if I could buy it with food stamps, I needed to know, and this habit has sort of held on.

Monthly Household Expenses Breakdown

Pets
$12 Cat Food (Purina)
$6 Kitty Litter
$1 Catnip
$15 Dog Food (Purina)
$3.50 Doodie Bags (Heart)
$3.50 Dog Treats

Non Food Consumables (Purchased in a Brick and Mortar Store)Aloe $4 (3 x/yr) = $12
BandAids $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Lip Balm (Carmex) $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Q Tips $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Cotton Pads $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Witch Hazel $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Dental Floss $6.50 (2x/yr) = $13
Toothbrushes $3 (8x/yr) = $24
Toothpaste (Tom's of Maine) $3 (12x/yr) = $36
Razor Blades (Venus/Mach 3) $24 (1x/yr) = $24
Deoderant (Tom's of Maine) $4 (2x/yr) = $8
Contact Solution $3 (1x/yr) = $3
Nail Polish Remover $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Glycerin $4 (1x/yr) = $4
Pine Tar Soap (Grandpa's) $5 (4x/yr) = $20
Liquid Soap (Dr. Bronner’s) $15 (1x/yr) = $15
Peroxide $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Antibiotic Ointment $5 (2x/yr) = $10
NyQuil $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Tylenol $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Ibuprofin $5 (2x/yr) = $10
Stool Softener $4 (2x/yr) = $8
Tums $4 (1x/yr) = $4
Misc Other First Aid Stuff $10 (1x/yr) = $10
Brita Filters $20 (2x/yr) = $40
Cheesecloth $5 (2x/yr) = $10
Duct Tape $4 (1x/yr) = $4
Packing Tape $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Scotch Tape $3 (1x/yr) = $3
Masking Tape $3 (1x/yr) = $3
Gift Tape Refills $5 (1x/yr) = $5
Mechanical Pencil Leads $5 (1x/yr) = $5
Pen Refills $3 (4x/yr) = $12
Chalk $1 (2x/yr) = $2
Printer Paper $3 (3x/yr) = $9
Staples $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Envelopes $3 (1x/yr) = $3
Stamps $10 (1x/yr) = $10
Printer Cartridges $15 (2x/yr) = $30
SuckNSeal Bags $7 (2x/yr) = $14
Gallon Ziplocs $2 (3x/yr) = $6
Quart Ziplocs $2 (3x/yr) = $6
Recycling Bags $7 (1x/yr) = $7
Trash Bags $7 (1x/yr) = $7
Straws $1.50 (2x/yr) = $3
Toothpicks $1.50 (1x/yr) = $1.50
Bleach $5 (1x/yr) = $5
Borax $5 (1x/yr) = $5
Paper Napkins (Bounty) $3 (4x/yr) = $12
Toilet Paper (Scott Tissue) $9 (5x/yr) = $45
Green Scrubbies $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Dish Wand Sponge Heads $3 (3x/yr) = $9
Color Safe Bleach (Clorox II) $7 (1x/yr) = $7
Dishwasher Detergent $4 (1x/yr) = $4
Stain Spray (OxyClean) $2 (6x/yr) = $12
Laundry Detergent (Coldwater Tide) $12 (9x/yr) = $108
Plastic Wrap $2 (4x/yr) = $8
Tinfoil $3 (4x/yr) = $12
Parchment $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Waxed Paper $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Waxed Paper Bags $2 (1x/yr) = $2

Total: $691per year
Or $57 per mo

(+$40 in pets = $97/mo)

Non Food Consumables Purchased Online or Thru the Cafe
Alpenglow Shampoo ($50/yr)
Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars (Human and Dog) ($50/yr)
Everyday Minerals ($20/yr)
Essential Oils ($20/yr)*
Titanium Dioxide ($5/yr)*
Zinc Oxide ($5/yr)*
Sodium Hydroxide ($5/yr)*
Potassium Hydroxide ($5/yr)*
Beeswax ($5/yr)*
Conditioning Beads ($5/yr)*
Bread Bags ($5/yr)*
Dishsoap ($10/yr)*

Food Items Used As Non Food
Guar Gum ($10/yr)*
Xanthan Gum ($10/yr)*
White Vinegar ($50/yr)
Apple Cider Vinegar ($50/yr)
Baking Soda ($50/yr)
Salt ($5/yr)
Castor Oil ($10/yr)*
Sweet Almond Oil ($10/yr)*
Vegetable Shortening ($10/yr)
Olive Oil ($10/yr)

* = items purchased less frequently than once a year

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#8 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Can I ask what you use some things for?

Q-tips? What does anyone do with Q-tips? I've used them for gun cleaning and taking the mascara off the bottom of my eyes when I wear it. A big box lasts me years.

cheese cloth? I actually make cheese, but I haven't bought new cheesecloth in years.

cotton pads? Can you go with some re-useable scraps of cloth?

antibiotic ointment? I never use that stuff. Didn't grow up with it and I don't put it on cuts.

straws? Never use.

toothpicks? A box lasts me years. I've occasionally used them for appetizers or to spread glue.

chalk? Where do you use it? I've had the same box for years but we don't have any chalkboards in the house.

envelopes? We don't mail that many things. Maybe once a month and it's usuallly me for something like Girl Scout dues. A box lasts a few years.

staples? Same thing. We've had the same box for several years now.

You have a lot of bags:

and wraps:
Tinfoil $3 (4x/yr) = $12

Would it work to eliminate 1 or 2 types of those items?

You don't have anything really huge, but it's all of the little things that add up.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#9 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM

:
#10 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

He he he... this is kind of fun. Like having somebody peek in my medicine cabinet and cupboards and then talking about it. :P

We use Q Tips to clean our ears. Maybe we all just have gunky ears? We go swimming a lot, though.

I go thru tons of cheesecloth. I make a lot of Greek style yogurt and ricotta cheese with it. I get the kind from the Wal Mart craft department. It is shot after a single use.

Is there a kind of cheesecloth you can wash and reuse?

Cotton pads are for wiping bug bites and sunburns and removing nail polish and cleaning the pets ears. I'm not certain if they could be replaced with anything else....

Antibiotic ointment is cheaper than hemmroid cream. Thank you, childbirth!

My kids love straws. If we have them, we don't battle over the lack of juice boxes at our house.

DH uses toothpicks for EVERYTHING. I forget they even exist, but he uses them daily.

We have four chalkboards in our house. Cuts down on paper use.

Envelopes bug the living $#!@ out of me. DH's mom and grandma REFUSE to get email. REFUSE. They both have computers, internet access, and digital cameras, and they will not get email. MIL sends me discs of photos via snail mail. It bewilders me. The envelopes are so we can send them prints. Otherwise, DH gets the extra long guilt trip.

Staples are DSS's pet thing... but he seems to be outgrowing it.

We do use a lot of bags and wraps. I'm going to buy the restaurant sized plastic wrap, tinfoil and parchment. That should help trim, as those will last for years. As for the ziplocs, maybe I can replace them some sort of Cambro/Tupperware type thing for the fruits and veggies, but that would take up more room in the freezer... hmm, I need to think about this. SuckNSeal bags, trash, and recycling are essential, though.

#11 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Several of these items are seasonal or have a predictable sale cycle. When they go on sale, do you stock up for the year? Are you paying full retail for these? Buying in bulk or seeking out the best price per unit?

Making a trip to a discount or warehouse store might make sense for you, especially if you can make a once-a-year trip with a friend. Grocery prices on non-grocery items are often high. It looks like you are paying significantly (2-3x) more per unit than we do. COL might explain some, but I doubt it explains it all.

Since you don't use/need a ton of coupon items, do you know about this printable coupons site?

$12 Cat Food (Purina) - Purina regularly issues coupons for cat and dog food
$6 Kitty Litter - is this bought in bulk?
$1 Catnip
$15 Dog Food (Purina)
$3.50 Dog Treats - you can get these free with coupons

Non Food Consumables (Purchased in a Brick and Mortar Store)
Aloe $4 (3 x/yr) = $12 - aloe plants are easy to grow
BandAids $3 (2x/yr) = $6 - free/cheap with coupons
Q Tips $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Cotton Pads $3 (2x/yr) = $6 - a wash cloth? a baby one?
Witch Hazel $3 (2x/yr) = $6 - this is less than a dollar per bottle here, if purchased at a discount store
Dental Floss $6.50 (2x/yr) = $13 - free with coupons (Reach, GUM, etc)
Toothbrushes $3 (8x/yr) = $24 - I haven't paid for a toothbrush in years. Frequently free with coupons. Reach, Oral B, GUM, Colgate, etc.
Toothpaste (Tom's of Maine) $3 (12x/yr) = $36 - coupons are available
Razor Blades (Venus/Mach 3) $24 (1x/yr) = $24 - coupons are available and sales on this are very seasonal
Contact Solution $3 (1x/yr) = $3
Glycerin $4 (1x/yr) = $4
Liquid Soap (Dr. Bronner’s) $15 (1x/yr) = $15 - sometimes on sale at Target or can you buy in bulk?
Peroxide $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Antibiotic Ointment $5 (2x/yr) = $10 -
NyQuil $3 (2x/yr) = $6 - seasonally on sale, coupons available
Tylenol $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Ibuprofin $5 (2x/yr) = $10 - bought as generic in bulk? I think our last large bottle was <$2.
Tums $4 (1x/yr) = $4
Brita Filters $20 (2x/yr) = $40 - coupons available
Packing Tape $2 (1x/yr) = $2 - seasonally on sale
Scotch Tape $3 (1x/yr) = $3 - seasonally on sale
Masking Tape $3 (1x/yr) = $3 - seasonally on sale
Chalk $1 (2x/yr) = $2
Staples $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Stamps $10 (1x/yr) = $10
Straws $1.50 (2x/yr) = $3 - we skip these
Bleach $5 (1x/yr) = $5 - we skip, but if you ever need it, generic
Borax $5 (1x/yr) = $5
Toilet Paper (Scott Tissue) $9 (5x/yr) = $45 - coupons come out for this regularly
Green Scrubbies $3 (2x/yr) = $6 - see below
Dish Wand Sponge Heads $3 (3x/yr) = $9 - for $5 you can get a pack of washable scrubbie dish cloths
Plastic Wrap $2 (4x/yr) = $8 - we skip
Tinfoil $3 (4x/yr) = $12 - free/cheap with coupons
Parchment $3 (2x/yr) = $6 - free/cheap with coupons or look for sales around the holidays
Waxed Paper $2 (1x/yr) = $2 - free/cheap with coupons or look for sales around the holidays
Waxed Paper Bags $2 (1x/yr) = $2 - skip?

Or $57 per mo

(+$40 in pets = $97/mo)

Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars (Human and Dog) ($50/yr)
Essential Oils ($20/yr)*
Zinc Oxide ($5/yr)*
Beeswax ($5/yr)*
Bread Bags ($5/yr)*
Dishsoap ($10/yr)*

Guar Gum ($10/yr)*
Xanthan Gum ($10/yr)*
White Vinegar ($50/yr) - is this bought in bulk?
Apple Cider Vinegar ($50/yr) - is this bought in bulk?
Baking Soda ($50/yr) - is this bought in bulk?
Salt ($5/yr)
Castor Oil ($10/yr)*
Olive Oil ($10/yr)

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#12 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM

I saw a thread around about metal drinking straws...apparently you can buy them on Amazon. Or have you thought about getting your kids some plastic straws? You could even get them the kind that swirl around in shapes (if they love straws they may love having their own specific straw that they pick out)

Tea Tree oil is a natural antiseptic and can be used in smaller amounts. Witch Hazel can be bought in large amounts (a big bottle of the stuff) and used for hemorrhoids or bug bites.

We use All Free And Clear detergent and usually wash our clothes on cold and have had no problems with it. And I think that coupons.com has a coupon for All detergents right now!

Look at the things you buy name brand. Why do you buy that specific brand? Can you switch to a cheaper brand in some areas?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#13 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
We use Q Tips to clean our ears. Maybe we all just have gunky ears? We go swimming a lot, though.

We do use a lot of bags and wraps. I'm going to buy the restaurant sized plastic wrap, tinfoil and parchment. That should help trim, as those will last for years. As for the ziplocs, maybe I can replace them some sort of Cambro/Tupperware type thing for the fruits and veggies, but that would take up more room in the freezer... hmm, I need to think about this. SuckNSeal bags, trash, and recycling are essential, though.
I use Qtips for my ears. I have allergies most of the year, thanks to the high pollen count in Texas, but usually not quite bad enough to be Rx'd something. I just buy store brand otc meds. My ears almost constantly have some fluid in them and when allergies hit the worst I can almost feel them draining sometimes. I use several a day! I also will use one for makeup in the morning. Dh uses them for his ears, too, he also has allergies.

I used to buy all the sizes of plastic baggies that you could get but have cut that down over the months. I also try to use them less, e.g., using the plastic wrap where I can instead since it's cheaper. I do try to use tupperware too although, thinking about it now, I can do better in that department.
#14 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:19 PM

Oh, have you thought about planting your own catnip? I know Petsmart sells it from time to time as a plant...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#15 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM

Aloe $4 (3 x/yr) = $12
Peroxide $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Antibiotic Ointment $5 (2x/yr) = $10

A lot of this seems excessive... Witch Hazel, Peroxide, Aloe and Antibiotic ointment more than occasionally? Toothpaste monthly? I have the same bottle of peroxide, antibiotic ointment and witch hazel in the cabinet that are at least 3 years old... Toothpaste lasts about 6 months, and while I just bought aloe gel, that was the first time in over 5 years.

What are you using this for? Get yourself some muslin or some flour-sack towels and just wash them when you're done. I use flour-sacking or muslin for anything that calls for cheese-cloth - it's far more durable and completely washable.

Packing Tape $2 (1x/yr) = $2

This is an awful lot of tape unless you're running a home business (in which case it's very little). Check out the dollar store and back-to-school sales for better prices if you really need this much.

Chalk $1 (2x/yr) = $2
Staples $2 (1x/yr) = $2

Again with the back-to-school sales. And again this seems excessive. Also check out the dollar store or Big Lots for things like envelopes - I rarely pay more than $1/box and a box lasts years. And printer paper is usually cheaper if you buy it by the half case instead of by the ream. And it's not like it goes bad, so if you have somewhere to store it...

Straws - unnecessary. I know kids love them, but they're completely unnecessary. Toothpicks seems excessive - I'm with the pp, I haven't bought them in years, they're only used for appetizers or wrapping foods. They should not be used for teeth. As for the paper napkins - I'd cut back on those. I'd also price compare with paper towels which one is cheaper per piece if you must have them. I rinse out my cast iron pans rather than wiping them, and only keep paper towels for cat messes - we've had the same package of paper towels for over a year now.

These both seem excessive. Is there another stain treater that you can use that will last longer? I use Dr. Bronners for stain treating, and the tiny little bottle ($4?) has lasted me over a year already. And I'd really re-evaluate the "savings" of the coldwater Tide, because spending over $100/year for *some* of your laundry is ridiculous.

Tinfoil $3 (4x/yr) = $12

What are all these being used for? You've already covered the bags, but this is above and beyond that. Plastic wrap - get reusable containers with lids. Foil I do use for cooking, but even then I MIGHT buy it once a year. Parchment - get yourself some silpats, over time they're money savers although expensive up front. Waxed paper - what are you using this for? It has very few practical uses. Waxed paper bags - lunches? Again - get reusable containers, we like tiffins.

White Vinegar ($50/yr)
Baking Soda ($50/yr)

What on earth are you using $50/year of each of these for? White Vinegar is about $3/gallon, BS is $0.60/lb and real ACV is more expensive, but still... $50/year? You really have me curious.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#16 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where do you find Tom's of Maine toothpaste for $3? My Wal-Mart has it for $4.18 and Frontier co-op sells it for around $4. I did find a $1 coupon but only once.

~I used to use Oxyclean to stain treat, now I use peroxide. It is a natural stain lifter. I pour it out of the 77 cent bottle into a spray bottle and keep it in the laundry room. I spray it if we stain something right away, and I spray stains I find while loading the washer. Works great!

~Baking soda and vinegar, I go through about the same amount per year, just for cleaning, laundry, and laundry softener.

~Mach3, I use the same kind and I have been searching for a coupon for a couple years now. I spend about $24/year on blades.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#17 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Honestly if you use it all then it looks like the normal costs of running a house and having a family...

And everyone's list is going to be so personal... Like I don't go through all of that tape (we use scotch tape from a dispenser for gifts I bought a huge costco pack refill 5 years ago and still have lots left) so I wouldn't buy scotch tape AND gift tape...

Also I can't fathom spending $50 a year on white vinegar (I don't use ACV but that's another $50!) our vinegar for a huge bottle is like $2... Maybe I could see buying three or four a year and we use it for laundry and cleaning and cooking etc... But 25 of those? That would be two huge bottles a month or one every two weeks there is just no way I could use that much?

And Tupperware just brought back their freezermates ( they will organize AND give you more space)

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#18 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Yeah, for white distilled vinegar I use 2 per month at $3, that comes to $72. I use it for everything. I have a spray bottle in the kitchen that I use to clean the counter, sink, fridge, spills on the floor, stovetop, windows, etc.

I keep the gallon in the laundry room for laundry softener. It really gets the soap residue out of clothes and replaces Bounce sheets. My DD has very sensitive skin so this helps her clothes get rinsed out but also stay soft. I use it in every load of laundry.

I also use vinegar to clean the bathroom, garbage can etc.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#19 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Wow, what magical store sells Toms of Maine toothpaste for $3??? Target just had it on sale for almost $4, and I see it for $5 at other places. Even online it seems to be quite high. I am floored by the price you pay. Lucky lucky!!
#20 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Straws - unnecessary. I know kids love them, but they're completely unnecessary.

I can't drink an iced drink without a straw. Guess I am a freak of nature, but I cant tolerate ice, cant have ice touching my my teeth at all.

I need straws - otherwise I dont get to drink anything good.

Now if I ended up in the poor house, I would just drink warm water but thankfully that hasnt happened yet.
#21 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
Guess I am a freak of nature, but I cant tolerate ice, cant have ice touching my my teeth at all.
My DH is the same way. So I don't put ice in his drinks. Even at restaurants you can ask for your drinks without ice. I keep the iced tea pitcher in the fridge so it's cold and he drinks it as is.

You can also get stainless or glass reusable straws. One of the co-op sites just ran a co-op for glass straws from Dharma Glass - they have a lifetime breakage warranty on them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#22 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
~Mach3, I use the same kind and I have been searching for a coupon for a couple years now. I spend about $24/year on blades.
FWIW I read recently that if you dry your blades after use it prolongs their life...Even just a quick alcohol rinse (because it dries faster than water) can help. I haven't tried it but I'm going to mention it to DH (he has to shave nearly everyday to be in uniform)

#23 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 02:27 PM

My only additions to ideas already brought up:

Knit/crochet yourself some scrubbies from a rough acrylic yarn.
Switch to cloth toilet paper.
Switch to cloth napkins.

hh2.gif

#24 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Do you have a Walgreens or Rite Aid? I recently started combining coupons and sales and have reduced my spending on this kind of stuff to practically nothing. I'm going to bold the things that I've seen coupons for in the past two weeks. If you watch sites like weusecoupons.com you can get a good idea of what is on sale when in your area to get the best deal. My stores don't double coupons, and they don't give cash overages, but I have been walking out without paying more than a dollar for a big bag of things I would have otherwise bought, so it's not a bad way to save.

Quote:

Monthly Household Expenses Breakdown

Pets
$12 Cat Food (Purina)
$6 Kitty Litter

$1 Catnip
$15 Dog Food (Purina)
$3.50 Dog Treats

Non Food Consumables (Purchased in a Brick and Mortar Store)Aloe $4 (3 x/yr) = $12
BandAids $3 (2x/yr) = $6 (currently on sale at Walgreens, plus coupons from last week's paper)
Q Tips $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Cotton Pads $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Dental Floss $6.50 (2x/yr) = $13 (3/$9 at Walgreens, and you get $6 back in register rewards for your next trip; there was a $3 off 3 coupon in last Sunday's paper, making it free)
Toothbrushes $3 (8x/yr) = $24
Razor Blades (Venus/Mach 3) $24 (1x/yr) = $24 (Venus blades are on sale next week at Walgreens. I haven't seen Mach 3 coupons because they've moved on to Mach 5 - my husband likes the Mach 3, too, and they're pricy!)
Contact Solution $3 (1x/yr) = $3 (last week was free after rebate at Rite Aid)
Glycerin $4 (1x/yr) = $4
Liquid Soap (Dr. Bronner’s) $15 (1x/yr) = $15 (do you order from Frontier Coop?)
Peroxide $2 (1x/yr) = $2
Antibiotic Ointment $5 (2x/yr) = $10 (Neosporin is on sale this week at Walgreens, and there was a coupon in last week's paper)
NyQuil $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Tylenol $3 (2x/yr) = $6
Ibuprofin $5 (2x/yr) = $10
Tums $4 (1x/yr) = $4 ($2 for store brand at Rite Aid right now)
Brita Filters $20 (2x/yr) = $40
Packing Tape $2 (1x/yr) = $2 (free after rebate at Rite Aid last week)
Chalk $1 (2x/yr) = $2
Staples $2 (1x/yr) = $2
It is school supply season - all this stuff is CHEAP
Stamps $10 (1x/yr) = $10 (There was a photostamp clearance at Walgreens, possibly still there at your store, where you got $8.80 in stamps for $7.19. It's a blue box in the photo department.)
Bleach $5 (1x/yr) = $5
Borax $5 (1x/yr) = $5
Laundry Detergent (Coldwater Tide) $12 (9x/yr) = $108 (Try using detergent not specially made for cold water and see how it does for you. I use cold water with All Free and Clear and have no trouble.)
Tinfoil $3 (4x/yr) = $12

Or $57 per mo

(+$40 in pets = $97/mo)

Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars (Human and Dog) ($50/yr) (YUMMY! Love these! Worth the splurge! )
Essential Oils ($20/yr)*
Zinc Oxide ($5/yr)*
Beeswax ($5/yr)*
Bread Bags ($5/yr)*
Dishsoap ($10/yr)*

Guar Gum ($10/yr)*
Xanthan Gum ($10/yr)*
White Vinegar ($50/yr)
Baking Soda ($50/yr)
Salt ($5/yr)
Castor Oil ($10/yr)*
Olive Oil ($10/yr)

* = items purchased less frequently than once a year
#25 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 PM

The only things that stand out to me, are the baking soda (I can totally see using 50$ worth of vinegar- just canning pickles I used a whole jug this week!) and all the food wraps.

Another thought- have you talked to your kiddos about conserving TP and toothpaste, and such? Do they go crazy with it, or like my toddler, do they brush teeth multiple times a day because it is fun?

The detergent seems really expensive. I recently bought 4 boxes of Country Save powder from amazon for around 50$. Those will last us well over a year (and we do about 5-6 loads of laundry a week).

Even if you decide to stick with tide, experiment with using less detergent. Check your washer while it is agitating, and if there are bubbles, add a little less detergent the next time until you see just a few bubbles. This should also make it easier to rinse the clothes clean, and you can reduce the amount of vinegar you use in the rinse.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#26 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 03:03 PM

we use regular cotton cloth instead of cheese cloth. I rinse in the sink and then throw in teh wash (I don't know if that would gross you out.) I have a high tolorance for yuck. And we have kids yet so no diapers.

But you could always wash by hand and hang dry. I don't know how it compares to cheese cloth because this is what my family has always used. (an old sari, ect).

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#27 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM

I love that you have this list - keeps you aware of your spending!!!

you can grow the aloe!!

: wife to DH, mom to DD (2004) DS (2005) DS (2007) DS (2009)

#28 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 03:21 PM

We rinse and re-use straws. We have had the same 10 leftover fast food straws for years. I am not even sure where they came from since we do not even eat fast food....

I found that tooth powder goes a lot further than paste. Eco-dent runs about $6/bottle but lasts 3-4 times longer than a tube of paste. I do buy paste for dd as she is not careful enough with the powder yet. But she is great about only squeezing out "an eraser worth" at a time.

We also use Country Save. 80 loads per box. Two boxes sees us through a whole year. Works fine with cold water and diapers. Safe for septics too
#29 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

I will check out the metal straws. We had the reusable plastic kind, but since we don't have a dishwasher, I couldn't get them clean (boiling water just melted them), so they got gross and hit the trash.

DH hates silpats, won't even consider them. He's the baker round these parts.

Our WalMart sells Tom's of Maine toothpaste for around $3 a tube. We're just lucky, I guess.

I dry and lubricate our razor blades after each use. It does help.

I use aloe as lotion, burn ointment, hair gel and shave gel, so I go thru a good bit.

Same with witch hazel- bug bites, sore butt, ingredient in toner- and peroxide- clean out ears, bloodstains, and really nasty messes.

I guess I thought 2-3x per year was occaisional.

The waxed paper bags keep cheese perfectly, are more earth friendly than plastic, and we go thru a $1 box in a year's time. Any box I bought to replace them wouldn't work as well (believe me, I've been round the bend trying to keep cheese) and would take a decade or more to pay for itself. So waxed paper bags stay on the list.

I might also be overestimating our toothpaste use- I KNOW we don't go thru more than 1 tube a month, but it may last longer than that.

I use white vinegar in cooking, cheesemaking, to clean virtually everything from the windows to the floor, and as fabric softener.

I use baking soda in cooking, to wash my hair for about 1/3 of the hair washes, in diaper laundry detergent, to clean the sinks and the toilet, in the fridges and freezers for odors, and in the cat box.

I use ACV in salad dressing, in conditioner, and in homemade toner.

I go thru about 1.5 jugs of white vinegar, about half a gallon of ACV, and a 3# box (or maybe box and half) every month. I may have slightly overestimated, but I know I spend an absolute minimum of $100/yr on these three items. I also know it's cheaper than Sea Breeze, WishBone, Pantene, Dreft, Comet, the FridgeNFreezer Packs, and Downy. Or their generic equivalents. Plus, I think it's worth pointing out, this stuff actually gets accounted for under food, as I said upthread. So that $12 or so per month is actually coming out of my $200/mo food budget, which, frankly, I am happy with. I don't think that we could go lower on food without a nutritional cost, which I am (of course) unwilling to do.

You know what, we do use tons and tons of tape. That tears it, I am not letting the kids play with it anymore! That's where most of it goes. If they want some, they need to ride their bikes to the hardware and buy some with chore money. (DSS just made himself a knight outfit with duct tape, so maybe I'm overreacting to this line item. )

Are Freezermates a Tuppeware specific thing? Or are they just square containers?

I think I'm going to keep the stain stuff, and ditch the Tide. If our gas bill goes up, I may go back to it, but I think if I just sort the stained laundry into one basket and wash that one load on warm/hot, we'll be fine.

I am totally buying some floursack towels and ditching the cheesecloth! What a good idea.

I have never seen pencil leads or pen refills on sale anywhere, any time of year. Same with pet food. Or toilet paper. I live in a rural, remote area and I'm starting think that my shopping options just suck.

Altho'... since the name brand items I buy are few and far between, maybe I should try to find coupons of Tom's of Maine and Purina and Scott Tissue. Hmm... off to Google.

#30 of 131 Old 08-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Re: razors

My DH loves the Mach 3 razor line too, and I flipped out the last time he asked me to buy razor refills. $24 for a 6 pack, I think. $4 for a razor that lasts a week, maybe 2? That's insane!! And he only shaves 2x or 3x a week. I bought him a 'safety razor' that I found on Amazon that got good reviews. It's an old fashioned type where just the metal blade gets replaced. Those blades are 10c each, or 100 for $10. Way better.

I just don't shave.

We don't use toothpicks, or parchment paper (I love silpats!). Everyone could use WAY less shampoo and body soap than they're probably using. Like a teaspoon, not a handfull like my DH uses : We hardly use any bandaids, usually they scab over quickly and we just leave it at that. We spend $60/year on water filters. I'm also surprised at the amount of tape and envelopes you use. I use maybe one envelope per month. Boxes last YEARS here. Our dentist gives us free toothbrushes at every visit.

What I want to know is - How the heck do you feed your family on the remaining $100/mo??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page