$200 alloted for school supplies - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 122 Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if you couldn't have elements of both interdependency and self-sufficiency in your life? I live in a rural farming community, where I think I see this is action (If I'm understanding the definitions clearly of these two words). There is a strong culture of bartering arrangements, as well as neighbor assisting neighbor. Someone else will always have that piece of equipment you need for your field, etc. People care for, and look in on one another. The entire community will come together in a time of need, as I think is often seen in rural communities. It's wonderful, and the young children learn this type of giving very early.

There is also a fiece sense of independence, and the ability to be self sufficient/self sustaining is something that many people work toward. Knowing how to take care of oneself, being able to provide for your family, less/no reliance on the power grid structure, raising or growing your own food, etc.

I know this doesn't happen everywhere. I was just struck that the two ideals seem somewhat compatible here.
#122 of 122 Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
This is what I was trying to say. How do you put a price tag on caring for a friend or family members kids when they are in a jam, teaching someone about gardening to help feed their family, sharing your skills with members of your community? I don't know how many times my husband has helped out a neighbor or friend with fixing something for free. And we have had the same done for us.
We do what we can to help out our fellow humans, and hopefully they do the same for us. Maybe I'm just idealistic.
But I guess in a lot of people's "ideal" world, when one no longer contributes their "share" they are a "burden" on the rest, and should be dealt with accordingly. :
Like another pp said, should we just do away with all the "non-contributing" members of society? The elderly, the disabled, the welfare mom who is buying cookies with her foodstamps in front of you in line at the grocery store?
Who gets to decide which people are of value and which are not?
: well said both of you

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page