Am I the only one that is loving mint.com - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Longtime lurker on this board, get a lot of good advice from everyone.

I recently became hooked on mint.com for info/budgeting/tracking expenses both for my home and home business.

am I the only one?

do you use it? any tips or tricks for me?

Best,
Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#2 of 23 Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 AM

I've been rocking Mint.com for maybe 6 months or so, and it's been wonderful. I find I have to go back through every now and then and recategorize a few things for the charts and graphs to be truly accurate, but it's not a big deal. I think it's an amazing tool, and you can't beat it for free!

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has tips/tricks, too. Thanks for this post!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 23 Old 08-18-2009, 12:10 PM

I love Mint! It has changed our life!
#4 of 23 Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM

I looked into Mint, but misunderstood the premise. I was looking for a good budgeting system, but was not comfortable giving them all of my banking and account information. I still think about it from time to time, but that is what holds me back.
#5 of 23 Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM

I love it too...I love how it breaks everything out into graphs so you can see just what your spending on what.
I learned about it on NPRs Marketplace Money.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#6 of 23 Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM

i've been trying to use mint.com, but i can't get it to accept my bank account : i'm a huge fan of microsoft money, but they are discontinuing it and i want to switch over to mint. anyone else have problems adding accounts?
#7 of 23 Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM

We tried mint.com for a while, but ended up at yodlee.com. I prefer their reports, they have all of our retirement accounts, and it seems to let me better customize our expenditure history to closely track groceries, car maintenance, etc.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#8 of 23 Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 PM

mint works great EXCEPT you can't manually add or edit anything like cash purchases, cash income, accounts that arent supported.

i really wish it had an income graph too.

i like it for general tracking but it is limited.
#9 of 23 Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinajoy View Post
mint works great EXCEPT you can't manually add or edit anything like cash purchases, cash income, accounts that arent supported.

:

plus -- if i buy food items plus lets say a dvd (entertainment) I don't recall being able to divide the transaction. Or maybe if I could, it was a pain --
#10 of 23 Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 AM

You can split a transaction. Just go to edit and there's a split button. You put in the amount for each category within the expenditure. It's not very hard.

I like mint, have been using it a few mos. only. I have had trouble with adding one of my accounts, so I'm still trying. That's kind of annoying, but it's really helped with our budgeting. Or at least I know now exactly how much/when to feel guilty.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#11 of 23 Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's Mom View Post
:

plus -- if i buy food items plus lets say a dvd (entertainment) I don't recall being able to divide the transaction. Or maybe if I could, it was a pain --
Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama View Post
You can split a transaction. Just go to edit and there's a split button. You put in the amount for each category within the expenditure. It's not very hard.

I like mint, have been using it a few mos. only. I have had trouble with adding one of my accounts, so I'm still trying. That's kind of annoying, but it's really helped with our budgeting. Or at least I know now exactly how much/when to feel guilty.
What she said you CAN split transactions. You can label ATM cash just like anything else and then split it how you need to- ie I got $100 out for groceries- labeled it as groceries- dh went to WalMart and spent $32 dollars- I split it to $20 groceries and $12 Auto Maintenance. Plus- you can add you own categories- did that today as MW oddly wasn't listed

It is really, really easy to split as the pp said- click the transaction- that brings up the edit details button. then click to the right it has a split it button. Then you type the amount you want to split and pick the category and then keep splitting until it is done- easy peasy!
I just started using MINT Sunday and I am in love! Dh has been on me forever to use a program rather than my (to him) confusing spreadsheets but I resisted. This is so much easier, quicker and more in-depth! For me to split cash and transactions was a PITA having to type it all manually then keep a running total for each category this is so much better and easier to read- it is great!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#12 of 23 Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 AM

i keep hearing such wonderful things about mint.com but my small local credit union isnt available on mint.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#13 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 12:37 AM

Has anyone transitioned to MINT from the tried and true envelopes system? We are budget nerds and do envelopes at present through an online service that I love, but it's not free, and there are some hiccups with ease of use (as in, husband won't touch it because he's afraid he'll mess the whole thing up).

I am really sold on some of the MINT features, like the email alerts and general easy interface, auto- categorizing, etc. And I see now that you can budget for long-term expenses (new feature), with rollover balances, kind of like envelopes. Anyone switched successfully? How?

Mother, Wife, Worker Bee. Mama to Clara (10/05) and Ophelia (12/09)
#14 of 23 Old 08-24-2009, 05:44 AM

Hmm, sounds interesting. Do you have to keep all of your money in your bank account for it to work though? I'm a waitress so most of my income is cash and I only make deposits when I need to pay a bill.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#15 of 23 Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM

I've been hearing more and more about mint.com lately. I checked it out a few months ago, but unfortunately it was when the Madoff trial was peaking in the media so I thought that giving out my bank account information wasn't the best idea. However more people are testifying that it has helped them. I'm living on a budget and I often find that I spend too much money on dinners out or groceries (why is it always food?) and would like to save more.

Do you feel as if your money is safe when using Mint.com? Also, what do people think of mint versus the site mentioned above, Yodlee?

It's just good music if you can feel it in your soul. - Tim McGraw
#16 of 23 Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM

DH just checked out mint.com and really likes it, but neither of us are comfortable giving one company all of our financial information -- account numbers, passwords, etc. If there were a security breach, that would be a really big deal. So dh is thinking that once a month he'll change our passwords, load everything into mint, then change all the passwords back. That way we get a good snapshot of where we stand but we can mitigate a lot of the potential security risk.
#17 of 23 Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Love mint.com and love that Clark Howard and his exec producers have tried it first so I don't get screwed.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#18 of 23 Old 08-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
Love mint.com and love that Clark Howard and his exec producers have tried it first so I don't get screwed.

Liz
Exactly- I love Clark Howard and love that they have tested it out!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#19 of 23 Old 10-17-2009, 05:27 PM

Just signed up and it is pretty cool!

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#20 of 23 Old 10-17-2009, 08:57 PM

I am too nervous about giving Mint all of my financial information, and thus did not complete the registration process...
#21 of 23 Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 AM

Yowza! Mint.com is so easy! I am sold for sure. I just set it up last night and re-categorized a few things that they had wrong, but it was insanely easy. I have been working so hard to try to stay on a budget, but my paper version was just not working for me. I was losing pages out of my notebook, losing old budgets, and I just couldn't figure out a way to have it all work out. This takes the hard part of it out for me. Thanks so much for the link!

Now is there any way to have notices sent to you about when bills are due? Can you plan for specific days that your income will hit your account and when your bills are due each month?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#22 of 23 Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 AM

opps
#23 of 23 Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I forgot about it not letting you add cash. that was a real bummer for me too.

Also, I sometimes "win" money at work and use it for the groceries, cable, etc. I can't add this credit card (its one of the kind that money gets deposited on) so I can't track those expenses. Even though its "extra" money, I do get taxed on it and it shows in my income.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page