Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
There might also be secret benefits to WIC. Like the children's museum here has $1 entrance fees per person (compared to $9+ for general admission) if you're on WIC.
That's great!
#62 of 85 Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
There might also be secret benefits to WIC. Like the children's museum here has $1 entrance fees per person (compared to $9+ for general admission) if you're on WIC.
Really?!? I knew about the discount for Hoosier Healthwise (which we don't qualify for), but would love to use this discount if it includes persons on WIC! Where can I findout about this? (In the Indy area too.)
#63 of 85 Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
So you need to have whole milk to make the ricotta? The highest fat content I can get with WIC is 1%. Good to know about the heavy cream though. I can get a quart of heavy cream for just over a dollar.

I really want to try your technique. DH would love that...he loves ricotta and I so rarely buy it.
Technically, you can make yogurt or ricotta with any kind of milk, including reconstituted nonfat dry milk. I have better results, especially if I'm using NF powdered milk, if I add fat in the form of heavy cream. And we just think it tastes better.

When I'm off the WIC milk gravy train , I'll probably use the dry milk + cream method as the standard for my value-added dairymaking, because that system has a much longer shelf life than fresh milk, and is a little cheaper.

Heavy cream lasts longer than fresh milk. You can also freeze heavy cream with less flavor loss compared to freezing fresh milk. However, thawed cream doesn't whip very well. Just an FYI.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#64 of 85 Old 09-09-2009, 02:57 PM

i called yesterday and set up to apply for wic and they had an appt for me (currently pregnant), but there were no openings in our county for my son... so now what??? i guess anything helps, but i was really hoping to get all of us on wic. they said i can continue to call and ask if there have been any cancelations, but it took me 30 mins of waiting to get anyone on the phone... i guess i have to just keep trying.
#65 of 85 Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have to say that WIC has been extremely helpful to me. Money is tight and it's great not to have to worry about buying the foods WIC provides . I am especially excited about the changes that will be taking place in October and I can't wait to switch to soy milk and tofu instead of regular milk and cheese. The produce and whole grains are also welcome additions.

... The workers at my WIC office are super friendly and helpful. I'm sorry that's not the case for everyone, though. I'm really grateful for the extra help and thankful I qualify. I would encourage anyone who meets the income guidelines to apply. And in my state you automatically qualify if you have Medicaid, as well.

I must say that I have been inspired by the creative ways to use WIC foods (such as making mayonnaise, yougurt, ricotta cheese) that I've been reading about in this thread.
#66 of 85 Old 09-19-2009, 12:30 PM

This may sound kind of bad, but I am chronically underweight and so when I drink milk I try to make it whole milk so as to get the fat from it. plus it just tastes better! I found that at busy crowded stores like Walmart they don't actually check what kind of milk you buy so long as it is the right brand/amount etc. As long as the system lets it scan they don't care. So even though my checks said 2% I always bought whole.

I am about to get back on WIC as soon as I can get an appt and I can't wait for all the new stuff in the food packages! Are the baby food packages in every state though? Because I didn't see that listed for my state (GA)

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#67 of 85 Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 PM

FYI (at least in my state), whole milk is still approved for children under the age of 2. I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old...the 4 year old's vouchers have everything listed except whole milk, and the 18 month old's include whole milk in the options for milk.

We just had an appointment yesterday. As usual, it took almost 3 hours. DS (the 18 month old) is in the 5th percentile for height and weight, although they are proportionate to each other (on the height/weight combined chart, he's smack in the 50th). So I got the usual song and dance about how he's underweight. (The kid eats like he's never going to see another meal again...I have no clue where it goes. He eats more than me and my 4 year old COMBINED.)

But THIS time, I was told that my 4 year old, who is in the 55th percentile for height and weight is - get this - "slightly overweight". For real?

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#68 of 85 Old 09-19-2009, 03:59 PM

I was told my little boy is overweight at his four year old checkup and he's a string bean! He's 4 years old, 40 inches (grew 6 inches in 6 months!!) and 35 lb, and apparently that makes his BMI 85%. The kid is ALL muscle. He's height/weight appropriate and you can see his ribs. He has a toddler 6 pack, no lie. I got a lecture about getting him enough exercise (while he never stopped moving at the appt!) and feeding him a healthy and varied diet, but the kid really eats a very healthy diet, no processed stuff, lots of veggies, whole grains and beans, little meat, etc. I think they saw fat mom + higher BMI (even though height-weight proportionate and at the same range since he was an infant!) = lecture about healthy eating. Ugh.

And to stay on-topic, we've really appreciated WIC with our very broke month this past month. There is a WIC store near us that is just wonderful - everything in the store is WIC and they're very friendly and accommodating. You also get a free fruit or vegetable for every voucher you use. This month is not shaping up to be any higher in the cash department so I'm even more thankful that this is available.
#69 of 85 Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 AM

Our wic office is always very friendly and we are in and out in less than an hour every time.

I agree that the new whole milk rule is a bummer. I like to buy whole.

We don't use the baby food as we don't do purees and just feed our baby what we are eating but I still get the jars and I mix them in with dinner for an extra serving of veggies. For example you can add carrots or sweet potatoes to spaghetti sauce or mix in all sorts of things with meatloaf like the sneaky chief. I just try to look at it as jarred purred veggies not "baby food." I don't use the pureed meat though. yuk!

#70 of 85 Old 09-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLittleHouse View Post
I was told my little boy is overweight at his four year old checkup and he's a string bean! He's 4 years old, 40 inches (grew 6 inches in 6 months!!) and 35 lb, and apparently that makes his BMI 85%. The kid is ALL muscle. He's height/weight appropriate and you can see his ribs. He has a toddler 6 pack, no lie. I got a lecture about getting him enough exercise (while he never stopped moving at the appt!) and feeding him a healthy and varied diet, but the kid really eats a very healthy diet, no processed stuff, lots of veggies, whole grains and beans, little meat, etc. I think they saw fat mom + higher BMI (even though height-weight proportionate and at the same range since he was an infant!) = lecture about healthy eating. Ugh.
I think they are really hitting this one hard. My DD who is the 90th% for weight and the 75% for height was also called overweight due to her BMI. I'm thinking they must have some new rules and regs about this. It was fine until she turned 3, then it became an issue. She has been on the same growth curve since birth, BUT once she turned 3 it made for a "danger" of her being overweight FOR LIFE. The woman who lectured me wasn't there last time, thank goodness, but I told the other lady that I had been lectured and she apologized. I also got don't give her juice to drink, uhhhh don't you guys like give me a bunch of juice.

The funniest thing for me is if you actually do a BMI calculator and variance of an inch on a small child can send them from normal to overweight, to obese.....it's pretty screwed up.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#71 of 85 Old 09-20-2009, 10:55 PM

part of the reason they are stingy when looking for health problems, is that is one of the requirements, along with income, to be approved for WIC. You have to have a health reason, low iron, under/over weight, etc.

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#72 of 85 Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefairy3 View Post
part of the reason they are stingy when looking for health problems, is that is one of the requirements, along with income, to be approved for WIC. You have to have a health reason, low iron, under/over weight, etc.
Yeah, but being on Medicaid automatically trumps that since it is considered a health reason also-ie needing medical assistance. I'm pretty sure they have changed the rules and regs a bit with the new food choices and changes happening. In our area we got a new consultant who is also the lactation consultant/nutritionist and she is the one who has been so crazy about this stuff(honestly I think she's just a tad crazy in general). It really has become more of an issue that I've been hearing about recently, I've heard it numerous times on here and also from people I know. I think it also has to do with the whole AAP new recommendations that ALL children over the age of 3 have a weight percentage of 80 or lower, so the "new" 100th % would be 80% because of the whole obesity "crisis". I know that it is a problem, but to say a normal sized 3 y/o old is in danger of being obese because of an inch of size(and that really is the difference) is beyond ridiculous to me. Plus the whole BMI is very flawed way to look at overall health. Oh well I didn't get lectured last time and that was just fine with me.

I'll take my checks and ignore the BS.

#73 of 85 Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 AM

My oldest is 4, and has been on WIC since she was born. She's never had any health problems, we've only just recently qualified for Medicaid (in the past year), so I don't think they actually have to have any medical problems to qualify for WIC, no matter what their policy says. I would imagine that being low income would be risk enough to count.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#74 of 85 Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
Hmm...that sounds good. I'm not sure I'd use the eggs, particularly, unless Farmer Dave will take the vouchers. But I suppose they would be okay for baking or whatever. I just perfer farm fresh for eating 'eggs'.
I used them for baking. We used to get 5 dozen a month from WIC. We supplemented with farm eggs when we could get them, or mixed half and half in things like scrambled eggs so the farm eggs would lend their flavor.

We don't eat dairy at the time, so we just got eggs, OJ, peanut butter, oatmeal. I would not otherwise have bought OJ and it was a huge treat for the kids. You can sub beans for the PB if you want.

I heard they are phasing in other foods this fall in our area, but we missed the boat.

I loved getting the farmers' market coupons, too. We got $30/kid with a $60/family max. I love that program.

My kids are not vaxed and we refused the iron prick. They just did weight and height and wrote down that we had dietary challenges and that was enough to qualify (that and income, obviously).

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#75 of 85 Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
(VT actually delivers the food to your house for you for example...or at least they did 4 years ago when we lived over there.)
Yep, they still deliver. It's wonderful. And they seem to use local or semi-local sources for at least some of the items.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#76 of 85 Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
My oldest is 4, and has been on WIC since she was born. She's never had any health problems, we've only just recently qualified for Medicaid (in the past year), so I don't think they actually have to have any medical problems to qualify for WIC, no matter what their policy says. I would imagine that being low income would be risk enough to count.
Yep, that's one of the risk factors they can use.

I can't wait until I get the first new food package. My foster daughter automatically qualifies and it will be nice to get actual food. We don't use a lot of eggs and our juice cabinet was overflowing for a while.
#77 of 85 Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 PM

I always have to post about my wic experience! When I made my first trip to WIC I was treated really poorly- spoken down to cause I didn't do something correctly. As soon as I apologized and said "I am a new foster parent and this child needs to be on a different formula due to reflux..." they quickly changed their attitude and from them on I had a great experience. It always bugged me that it took me stating my foster parent status to get them to treat me better.

As far as the food- we used it for the first year for formula and then I went for the first quarter of solid food once he was a year and decided the savings were no longer worth the hassle of the appointments or searching for the correct size/brand of food to get with the vouchers. But, it saved us about 90 dollars a month on formula.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#78 of 85 Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 PM

I have had experiences with three different WIC offices because of relocating. I like the new food packages versus the old ones. I can get organic produce with the vouchers. Yesterday I picked up part of our monthly package which is for DD(4) and myself(pregnant) and it cost $65.

I don't really remember the first lady at the first WIC office I went to. The woman in the county I saw with my DD when I was pregnant with her and when she was younger was incredibly annoying and I could not stand her!!

Now I am in a different county with a different nurse. So far she hasn't been too bad. Visits are short, sweet, and to the point! I take what she says with a grain of salt and get on my way!

Ampartners.gifDF*DD7shy.gif*DD3shy.gif*Baby#3stork-suprise.gif EDD August 26, 2013

angel1.gif Feb. 28, 2004  angel1.gif Nov. 5, 2006

vbac.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifcd.gif

signcirc1.gif

#79 of 85 Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

Well, I got new coupons, but did not get the new food package. I asked about it and was told they didn't know when they would start it. Oh well...
#80 of 85 Old 09-25-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madders View Post
Well, I got new coupons, but did not get the new food package. I asked about it and was told they didn't know when they would start it. Oh well...
It's supposed to be Oct 1st. So that may be why.

#81 of 85 Old 09-26-2009, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
It's supposed to be Oct 1st. So that may be why.
yep, October 1st.

If you get benefits issued prior to that date, you will be issues x many months of the old food package {up to 3}. Check with your WIC office though - I know ours said just come in after the 1st and they will convert it to the new package.

and also I know in Texas all WIC clinics will be closed Oct 1-3 for the switch over.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#82 of 85 Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
The appointments that would last all day, being stuffed inside a church lobby with tons of people and their 800 screaming kids, being patronized and told you need to fork butter and whole milk into your kids or you're basically starving them was for me a bit much.

I didn't really enjoy the grannies squeezing and stripping my kid, doing pokes and lecturing me like I fell off a turnip truck.

I hear that the offices aren't all like this. I'm really glad!
Our office isn't like this at all But then, we're out in the middle of nowhere, so there just aren't tons of people around.

Also, the public health nurses here know I breastfeed my kids for a long time, and whenever I go in, they always joke when it comes to the information on breastfeeding that I should be teaching them. For me, going in for an appointment is more like having a nice conversation with someone who agrees with me on nutrition/breastfeeding, etc. Last time I had an appointment, I ended up chatting with the nurse about homebirth (her sister was considering it, etc etc). It was actually a lot of fun!

Maybe that's the exception, however, and not the norm!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#83 of 85 Old 09-28-2009, 01:38 PM

I recently got my youngest dd back on WIC because of the new food packages. I have been on WIC in 4 states and really each one is so different. In NE I had to continously get a doctors prescription for soy formula for my oldest and told I was fat at every visit. I was able to get a hospital grade pump in HI even though I was a sahm because of ftt issues with my middle child. I went only once in TX, I was breastfeeding and my older kids would not consume all that food and I felt it was wasteful. The office here is small, they know my vax stance and don't lecture me about it. I haven't had any comments on my dd's size; she is 4 years old 42" and 44lbs. Very tall and big. They were blown away that I breastfed past a year old, very congratulatory. I have been behind the scenes at a WIC office all last year and they are so backed up from understaffing and people just plain not showing up on time for their appts. I know it is frustrating to wait but they don't do it on purpose.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#84 of 85 Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM

I have my first wic appointment since the food package changes tomorrow and I am really disappointed that I can't buy diced fruit or veggies. We don't use cereal or purees. Maybe I could get banana and mango and use them for smoothies or shakes?
#85 of 85 Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepremiers View Post
I have my first wic appointment since the food package changes tomorrow and I am really disappointed that I can't buy diced fruit or veggies. We don't use cereal or purees. Maybe I could get banana and mango and use them for smoothies or shakes?
can you use it in other things?

I used to get the fruit ones, like applesauce and put it it cakes & breads. You can also use the veggie ones breads & meatloaf.

I hate the baby food on wic too - but it can be used. The cereal I used to use for bread crumbs on things.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page