Vitamix? Worth it? Alternatives? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-02-2009, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_pie View Post
Thank you all so very much. I really appreciate the thought and questions (many of the you think the same way I do asking how much I will really use it); thank you for sharing your comparisons to even the good expensive blenders (ie-Kitchen Aid). I have been pondering this one for about 6mo.

I will have to agree with you all about expensive household appliances. 6 years ago we upgraded our hoover to a miele (and it was way more than the VitaMix). I will simply say night and day. I never realized what a bad job our previous vacuum was doing. At the time I was almost faint bc/ of the expense, now I think it was worth every, single penny.
Vitamix is on my list of guilty pleasures I will have sooner than later. Its listed right before a meat cleaver. In the past when we splurge or hold out and get the more expensive item, its been worth it 100% of the time. Examples:

Our espresso machine. $1000. We use it 4 times a week at least and have had it for 3 years now. It paid for itself after about 18 mos. We are at the point where people walk in our house and say hello and make me a coffee drink now......

Wolf stove/oven. WIth a stove like this who needs a man Well I would not go that far, but you get my point!!

Miele vacumn. I love playing with this!!! We bought this 4 years ago. I am almost at the point of convincing DH we need one for upstairs too!!

I bought my kitchenaid mixer in 99 after we remodeld our first kitchen. I use it all the time and love it!

So yes, I will own a vitamix and I know we will use it, but waiting for the right time to buy! FWIW, I have seen coops for them to get them a bit cheaper.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#32 of 45 Old 09-04-2009, 02:01 PM

How does one find a co-op to buy from?

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#33 of 45 Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 PM

Got my vitamix monday and I have used it 2-3 times every day since. I love it! My kids love it too. It is so easy to fix them a quick treat that is healthy...YAY! We realy are a smoothie family so hiding greens is easy. My 4 year old wont eat green on his plate except for broccoli so this is an awesome way to get him to ingest spinach, kale etc.
#34 of 45 Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 PM

If you can do it, get it. I don't have one yet, but my neighbor has one and I am so jealous. I can't believe how smooth things get in that thing. I've got an extremely picky eater and I mix veggies into his food so he doesn't notice...only I have to BUY the blended veggies. It really would be worth it to me to get the vitamix....I have been trying to convince the hubby....

GET IT!

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
#35 of 45 Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 PM

I hate you all with a vita-mix! WE've gone through THREE blenders in THREE years! WE keep telling people NO we don't want a blender give us cash for a vita-mix, but they can'tjustify us spending that amount BUT they give us there blenders or buy usblenders, which by now we could have a vita-mix...I'm blenderless right now That's it this xmas I'm getting a vita-mix!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#36 of 45 Old 09-16-2009, 02:33 PM

I've been wanting a Vita Mix for a long time and have been trying to find one on eBay at a good price. I don't know enough about them though to know if what I'm finding is a good deal. For instance, does anyone know how the 5000 model differs from newer models? Is there a feature on newer versions that I will be sorry I don't have? Are all of the canisters BPA free, or just the newest ones?

Any info would be appreciated!!
#37 of 45 Old 09-16-2009, 03:45 PM

The new canisters are certified BPA free. Vitamix says the older canisters are still sae though. The 5200 has a new locking lid and a rubberized handle. Other than that I think the motor is the same. You may want to look and see if there is a demo at your local costco. I think they discount the vitamixes there.
#38 of 45 Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM

I think it depends on what you use your regular old blender for... and whether you've had one or two die on you from hard use in short periods of time. I killed two nice $100 KA blenders in less than 2 years before I broke down and bought a vitamix. Its now been going strong for 2+ years, while my moms vitamix is still going strong after 25+ years of use (she says she did send it in to get refurbished once 5 or 10 years ago).

But, I make a good amount of smoothies, and, more importantly/relevant, I make bean dip in it - 4 cups of cooked pinto beans + spices and blend them up to smooth. The Kitchenaid could blend them up just peachy fine... but they both died after doing so only 5-8x. If your doing hard-core blending of some sort, a vitamix is totally worth it. If not, if your just doing the random bit of blending for a cocktail party or a smoothie every now and then, its probably not.
#39 of 45 Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I finally bought one and I love it! There was a bit of a learning curve for me - I was hoping I could just throw a bunch of stuff in and - voila!

I use it several times a day so it has been well worth it for us. I make veg/fruit smoothies every morning and my old blender wasn't even blending everything anymore. I have also made soup, ice cream and playdoh with the Vitamix.
#40 of 45 Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM

We are about to order a Vitamix, the only thing I am worried about is the carafe. BPA free or not, it is still plastic. Is the BPA free one worse or better?

familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpggreenthumb.giftreehugger.gifbelly.gifcd.gifecbaby2.gifwhale.gifgoorganic.jpgkiss.gif

#41 of 45 Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 AM

I've had mine for over a year now and love it.  The Carafe is still plastic but its not like you store anything in it.  I hesitated to buy one for years but you will not regret getting one.   I use mine alot for smoothies, pureeing soups and I need to start making ice cream again. 

#42 of 45 Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM

We have the Blendtec and are so so so happy with our purchase.  We use it constantly and it's the way I get DS to eat vegetables, he's 2 and oh so picky.  He loves his smoothies.  I've also made sauces in it, but mostly green smoothies.  Delish.  Sure it's a lot of money up front, but never having to go to Smoothie King again and pay those ridiculous prices?  Worth. Every. Penny.

I wanted it for long enough and it's boosted our nutrition enough to justify the cost.  Definitely money well spent, but then we use it a lot.  Kale= hidden.  Mommy= happy.

#43 of 45 Old 02-15-2012, 01:50 PM

I've had a Vitamix for years and absolutely love it! It really is an incredible machine. I make a lot of smoothies, etc. and struggled through quite a few cheaper blenders before taking the plunge.  They are a bit expensive, but they do come with a 7 year warranty, which helped calm my nerves about spending so much.

You can save some money ($70+) buy buying refurbished ones directly from the company, and they still come with the warranty. 

Another tip, you can get free shipping (generally $25+) if you use a Vitamix promotion code from an online Vitamix affiliate like http://rawblends.com/

#44 of 45 Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 PM

If you are really going to use it, then a Vitamix is absolutely worth it! Every hard earned cent!

They are an amazing machine and I can honestly say since having one, it has changed my life. The Blendtec is up there as well, I have friends that absolutely love theirs. People often have difficulty deciding between the two. This Blendtec vs Vitamix comparison really can help.

Once you use a Vitamix you will understand. I had used several blenders in the past and really nothing compares if you are going to make use of it. As for deals and such, you should check with Vitamix Promotions where they have reconditioned, free shipping and the latest deals.

There really isn't anything you can't do with a Vitamix. If it's something you are going to pull out of the cabinet a few times a month, then it probably is not worth it - otherwise go for it! You will not be disappointed.

#45 of 45 Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Funny this thread got bumped. I just received my vitamix for my 40th bday! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page