Vitamix? Worth it? Alternatives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been looking at VitaMix blenders. Crazy expensive. But after seeing my sis's work, it makes my old, cheap blender even more annoying to me.

So what do you say. Are they worth the expense? Any thing else as good? Do you know any deals?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_pie View Post
I have been looking at VitaMix blenders. Crazy expensive. But after seeing my sis's work, it makes my old, cheap blender even more annoying to me.

So what do you say. Are they worth the expense? Any thing else as good? Do you know any deals?

TIA
I LOVE my vitamix blender. I totally think they are worth the cost (if you use a blender a lot) Our blender is going on 10 years old this year and just needed some repairs for the first time. (We shipped it in for repairs) Before we had it, it was used in a coffee shop that went under for their blended coffee drinks and we use ours typically everyday, so it has taken a beating!. It is a workhorse!!!!!
I think they sell refurbished blenders on there site too for a slight discount. I've seen some on craigslist before when little coffee shops go under. That's how we got ours. They are usually the commercial blenders though and so still really pricey.
Of course don't ever buy anything you can't afford, but if you can afford the price and use a blender frequently, I would say it is absolutely worth the price!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 PM

It has totally been worth it! I make smoothies with veggies all the time without a complaint from my kids. I make rice and oat milk for dh! Ice cream in minutes! We plan on getting the part to make flour this next year too! My friends have theirs from 1974 that is what sold me!:
Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 AM

I got a refurbished 5200 from the website, and I love it! It comes with a long warranty, but I haven't heard of many people having to use them.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM

I'll be the lone voice of dissent here. VitaMix are the best, if you are looking for a bar blender. Personally, I don't like bar blenders. I think immersion blenders (a.k.a. "stick" blenders) are much more versitile, useful, and easy to clean. They are also smaller, if space is an issue, and less likely to sit on the counter, left plugged in all the time, as electricity vampires.

If you want an immersion blender, I'd go for the ($$$) professional Kitchen Aid. These are a fraction of the price of the VitaMix, but the most expensive immersion blenders I've seen. But even my low end Cuisinart does a fine job crushing ice and pureeing raw veggies.

Since our toaster oven died (we've been grilling bread rather than toasting it, and just let me say, I'm never going back- sooo tasty), we are down to five plug-in kitchen appliances: the immersion blender, the Kitchen Aid mixer, the Cuisinart food processor, the Crock Pot, and the dual sided grinder (spices/coffee). I'm planning on replacing the grinders with a moartar and pestle and a hand coffee mill. The Crock Pot I'll let go when we remodel our kitchen and get an oven that never goes cold.

But the Kitchen Aid, the Cuisinart, and the immersion blender? Those you will pry from my cold, dead hands.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 PM

My parents have an older model and love it. I have been looking at them as well, and I am pretty sold on it. I saw a demo, and had the chance to taste smoothies made with fruits/veggies w/ skin on (I would only use washed, organic for this), and they were very tasty and not "grainy". I have a good Kitche Aid, but it doesn't compare to the Vita Mix.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:05 PM

i had a high end kitchen aid and i splurged on my vita-mix for my mother's day/birthday/solsitce gift and it is amazing.

i can put kale in smoothies and it goes unnoticed

i also use it to make nut butters. i get organic raw cashews for 3.85 per pound through a co-op. cashew butter usually costs $12 per jar at the store. i also make peanut butter with no worries of contamination with anything

the soups are okay but i prefer chunky soups so i don't make them very often. we do "ice creams" with ice, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and rice milk. the kids love it and it's healthy.

they also have a seven year warranty. you can check on ebay and craigslist for them. i got mine through a co-op.

eh. who needs a signature?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM

I don't have one, but I have several really nice high end kitchen appliances. If you use it all the time, it's totally worth it to spend the money. I my $350 cuisinart food processor. I use it at least once a week, often more, especially during canning season. It purees, slices, shreds, and even has a bread hook. It is the finest piece of machinery I own. I got it as a wedding gift, and the picture of me receiving it at my shower is almost as happy looking as the actual marriage to my husband. Now, if I could just convince said husband that this year what I really need is a kitchenaid stand mixer...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 PM

I have a Blendtec which is pretty much the same thing. Starbucks and other places used to use Vitamix and upgraded to Blendtec

Anyway, I LOVE it. I'm really frugal and on a budget but I bought one over a year ago b/c we make smoothies so much. TOTALLY worth it...I've never regretted the investment!

And no, I don't find cheaper alternatives to be comparable.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM

Well- I have been using my bosch blender (attached to my bosch mixer) for green smoothies this past week. I am really impressed with it. It may take a bit longer than a vitamix to get smooth (I leave it on for 1+ mins) and is really noisy but it blends lots of spinach (3+ cups), ice, pineapple, orange, frozen whole banana etc with no problem and very smooth (think booster juice consistency).
Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Totally worth it, but I got mine for FREE! My mom lives next door to my bro so she just goes and uses his to grind flour occasionally and sent me hers - woot!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 PM

I think ultimately the question is, what are you going to be using it for? And is that worth the expense? IOW, is it just a toy to have and a cheaper blender would still be able to make what you're using it for, or are you really going to utilize the power it has?

When you're looking at expensive gadgets like that, that's the most important question to ask, IMO.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Is that really a $400 blender? I understand you can get them refurbished for less, but not a whole lot less. That just seems like a lot of money for a blender.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 PM

I'm going to have to agree with Ruth.

Quote:
But after seeing my sis's work, it makes my old, cheap blender even more annoying to me.
It seems like there are a lot of less-annoying options between your old cheap blender and a $400 VitaMix.

Unless you are operating a business where that VitaMix will make you money, I'd look for something that will meet your home needs for less money. You would have to do A LOT of blending to justify that cost.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Actually, it's not *just* a blender. When used w/ the dry container, it can grind grains, coffee, spices. It can blend whole fruits, like oranges including the white film AND the pips, berries w/ seeds to where you can't tell the seeds are in there, etc. It will also blend AND heat soup right in the container b/c when set to a certain level, the blades move so fast it creates the heat needed to cook the soup. It will blend greens to where you can't detect the fibrous pieces.

We waffle back and forth about getting a VitaMix b/c of the cost. My parents have 1 and I use it frequently, believe me, it's more than *just* a blender.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Is that really a $400 blender? I understand you can get them refurbished for less, but not a whole lot less. That just seems like a lot of money for a blender.
You know -- I take back this post.

I have been eyeing a very spendy espresso maker for years now. It costs a fortune and it is out of my price range right now, but when I have the money for it, I will buy one.

Seriously hypocritical of me to be able to justify one expensive item over another. Apologies.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 PM

It is so worth it. I use it every single day. It does so much more than a reg blender as others have mentioned.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
You know -- I take back this post.

I have been eyeing a very spendy espresso maker for years now. It costs a fortune and it is out of my price range right now, but when I have the money for it, I will buy one.

Seriously hypocritical of me to be able to justify one expensive item over another. Apologies.
when you get your espresso maker buy a vitamix, too and you can have yummy frappacinos!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:54 AM

We bought our Vitamix 11 years ago. We've had to replace 1 part and the company sent it to us free of charge. I think it has a lifetime warranty. I use mine every day, often several times. It's totally worth the money.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 AM

It is definitely more than *just* a blender!

I use it for quick and nutritious soups (I place chunky veggies in my personal bowl; DH & DD prefer smooth soups), peanut butter (again, I prefer a bit chunky and remove mine early and then create a super smooth version for DH & DD), flours, powdered sugar, ice cream, pancake batter (mmm...banana oat pancakes), syrup/fruit sauce, pasta sauce, and so much more than smoothies. Yes, I do make smoothies, too, but rarely.

My DD got hand, foot, and mouth disease a few years ago and refused to eat one thing because her poor little mouth was filled with awful blisters. She is already thin and the doctor was concerned. I sent out an email to our playgroup asking for ideas. One of the moms told me she would put her Vitamix and all the books and ingredients she had right then into a laundry basket on her front porch for me to pick up within the hour. I got it and went to work. DD drank EVERYTHING I made! (Her doctor was VERY pleased.) DH & I had fun creating recipes, etc. We had that thing for two weeks and reluctantly gave it back. I had made copies of our favorite recipes and tried to duplicate them with our food processor and blender (one base shared between the two). Um, no. There was no comparison. We planned to wait until our county fair since our friends (the one who let us borrow hers and others) had gotten refurbished ones there for less than the website offers them. I happened to be in Costco when Vitamix was doing a roadshow there and the price was comparable, especially since I knew I wanted the dry container and the fair didn't offer that at a discount. I didn't buy it right then, but brought DH back that night or the next day. He ate some ice cream that had cabbage in it and couldn't taste a thing. Really, though, it was the ultra smooth peanut butter that did it. It was the month before the fair, but we had been saving and planning to buy it anyway so we were prepared. It is sooooo worth it!!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
when you get your espresso maker buy a vitamix, too and you can have yummy frappacinos!
Oh, I like the way you think!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so very much. I really appreciate the thought and questions (many of the you think the same way I do asking how much I will really use it); thank you for sharing your comparisons to even the good expensive blenders (ie-Kitchen Aid). I have been pondering this one for about 6mo.

I will have to agree with you all about expensive household appliances. 6 years ago we upgraded our hoover to a miele (and it was way more than the VitaMix). I will simply say night and day. I never realized what a bad job our previous vacuum was doing. At the time I was almost faint bc/ of the expense, now I think it was worth every, single penny.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Blendtec.

http://www.willitblend.com/

You need to watch their Youtube videos on what they can blend!

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 08-28-2009, 05:38 PM

DH bought me this: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=46712 for Christmas and I LOVE it. Seriously, the best blender I've ever owned...It blends greens and nuts, no problem. I usually just use it for smoothies, sauces, and whatnot...

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there...it's not cheap, but cheaper
Old 08-28-2009, 08:22 PM

i decided against the blendtec but i can't remember why. i think they had a shorter warranty?

eh. who needs a signature?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:00 PM

Just a thought-Montel Williams has come out w Healthmaster and its similar to the Vitamix but cheaper. Just google Montels Healthmaster.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:57 AM

I have wanted one for years and just bought one last week, it will be here Monday. Needless to say I am thrilled. I think this is one life changing piece of equipment. My friend has one and was making me smoothies while I had a nasty stomach virus. It was all I could stomach as I had severe nausea. I decided I could not live without one. They are amazing! My whole family will be healthier for it!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 AM

I had the old chrome model and I LOVED it. I used it so much that it actually rusted apart! It had it's issues, but that was due to the shape of the chrome one (from the late '80's) as well as the spigot (which they don't have anymore). I really need to get a new one. My $40 blender does a pretty good job of smoothies, but it is so slow compared to the Vitamix and not nearly as versatile. Plus, the Vitamix can liquefy all sorts of things. I used to make my kids beet smoothies and they were perfectly smooth. I could add anything to that machine and it would turn it into juice. Plus the heating of sauces and soups was amazing. Syrups too! I can't image my cheapie blender doing anything quite as fabulous.

I am still contemplating the new Vitamix (just in case there is something even better), but really, it is worth the money. I think I may have actually cried when mine rusted I used it many times a day!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Now, if I could just convince said husband that this year what I really need is a kitchenaid stand mixer...
Oooh, you totally need to convince him. I am seriously in love with my professional series kitchenaid. Just looking at it on my counter makes me happy. Best pizza dough ever! Plus, the batters, cookie dough, and other baked goods come out amazing! Even dh covets the attachments we have yet to purchase!

Sorry for the but I just really love it

Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM

I love the Vitamix. It is the one household item my Xh and I fought about in the divorce. We both wanted it.

User Tag List