~~ September No-Spend Challenge ~~ Our last week for this challenge...how are you doing? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a. Who you are
I'm Aileen, married and part time stepmom to 11 year old dd and 16 year old ds.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)
Pay off remaining car loan of 6523.63 and remaining cc 2k. Build up 6 month reserve savings (still need to figure out how much this should be).

c. How you plan to get there
Watch my spending like a hawk - groceries especially and unnecessary purchases. Have already trimmed cell phone bill, landline bill and cable. Already have automatic draft from paycheck going directly into savings account.

Legend:
Budgeted spend
: Unnecessary spend
No spend

September
2. purchased promo product in support of my niece's son's scouting. 40.62
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Also, I'm trying to be more mindful and less wasteful in other areas which also translates to greater savings. I have plastic utensils that I keep in my drawer at work but I'm not going to buy them anymore. I thought I was being good by couponing those or buying the store brand but I'm going to bring some of my flatware from home instead. That goes for paper plates, too. I use way less paper towels than I used to but I'd still like to keep them for cleaning up cat puke. : I'm also contemplating cloth napkins.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=PlayaMama;14322594]i'm also including $50 in preparation for solstice presents.

:

I don't know if it will be $50.00 but that's a good plan...I've got Solstice(for dh, me, dc) AND Christmas(dc santa presents/rest of family) Holidays

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ruth -- I know library fines are irritating, but considering how much you use that place as a homeschooler, you are helping them out a bit financially...so that's kind of like a donation, right?

Danielle -- Good luck to your child starting kindergarten!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
Last month I started the challenge and failed (read: did not finish because I was so ashamed)
Rachael -- No shame on this thread. You are a great no-spender, and even if you slip up sometime you know we are all about encouragement and support, not judgement. You are one of our strongest posters! :

Quote:
Honestly - I need cheerleaders and encouragement. Reading everyone's successes (and failures) is so encouraging to me - just knowing that there are others out there trying to live wiser helps me a ton.
me too.

Quote:
Driving - Cut back on driving. Does it take more time - yes BUT it is better for the environment and more exercise for me!
You and I are in the same place this month. I'm focusing on this too and trying to see the positive sides of not driving. Our gasoline expenses this summer were CRAZY.

Pax and Leta -- Good luck on the no-driving days too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto4grits View Post
I love looking through this thread, so many great ideas. Love the one about enjoying what we have, I so need to do that. INSTEAD of spending money!
me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
So we aren't off to the greatest start, today, between the two of us, we spent $5 that was avoidable. And $5/day is $150 a month, so...
You are sticking with us...that is a GREAT start. This thread is about progress not perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm715 View Post
I feel a TON of pride about how much I cut my spending in August and I want September to be even better.
Go Bookworm!

Jenny -- $3 for boots is an AWESOME deal!!! I would consider that a win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjasmine View Post
Okay, the agony begins already!!!! The 8 year old son of my niece lives in another state and she emailed me yesterday a link for his scouting promotions. I was aghast when I viewed the products! The lowest product price was $40.62... geez louise. I'll just have to batten down the hatches and tighten up further. I love her and her son but I'm getting more and more miserly thanks to MDC (a good thing!).
Jasmine -- I'm a girl scout troop leader and I'm flabbergasted when I see the things they want our girls to sell. And the girl scouts/boy scouts don't get much of that money. I hate it. Could you just write a check that is a donation to their troop? Ask how much your friend's son's TROOP will get when you purchase that item (the troop leader knows...down to the penny) and ask if you can just write them a donation for that amount. That is what I do instead of having my daughter sell junk to our neighbors.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

We did it. We walked to school. It took 18 minutes.

That is doable, right?

Granted, it would have taken 2 minutes in the car, but that's okay. I had the time.

A neighbor walked with us so we got some socializing in too.

02.. , :

My Goals:

2/20 No Spend days
1/9 Let the Car Rest days :

Old 09-02-2009, 04:34 PM

I want to join in! As a new single mama I really need to watch the money here lol. Right now I'm just wanting to watch out to make sure there is no extra spending. So I'm gonna start today!!! Woo hoo!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 PM

My key:

: is a no-spend day
: is a planned meal out
is planned spending of some kind
is negative spendy-ness, either a meal or other unnecesaries.
is something bought with the dollar-fairy's leavings

09/01: (a mocha) :... So far, so good!
09/02: Fell off the wagon in a BIG way, with a $250.00 dental emergency for DH. And that's just the downpayment... it'll be $500.00 more when the bill comes... Not sure what icon to use, because it was very neccessary, but totally unplanned.

Because of this, I'm changing my original goal for the month... no more meals out for September. Not that that will equal $250.00, of course, but still...

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM

So had to buy some back to school stuff at Gap and Kohls for the kids. Changing weather came earlier than usual and after going thru all the clothes, put the size 5 stuff in dd2's drawers and cleaned out the too small stuff, but then I had to buy all size 8 stuff for dd1. Not too spendy and I bought the girls this year's jackets last winter in ultra clearance. Plus dd2 has dd1's old coats. Do need to locate some snow paints in size 4 though.

Will need to buy some more shoes for dd1 I am sure!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 09-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Reading about library fine, I always think when I get them, hey I have read how many books for free? I can pay a few dollars towards that! :

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 09-02-2009, 05:56 PM

My key...
No Spend Day :
Necessities/Low Spend Day :
Over budget- frivolous spending :
Exercise Day :

Groceries- $700
Consumable's/Necessities- $150
Blow Money- $50

September 1st- : I did spend $2.20 on items for vegetable soup though
September 2nd- $50 on books for school, mainly literature that my high schooler will read throughout the year. Necessary, but still more than I expected. $20 on other school supplies

I am Vicki, have 4 girls, and we have just paid off (almost all) the last of our debt. I will admit I impulse buy, and buy way more "stuff" than we need. I am much better than I use to be though.

Saving for short term goals right now, $1000 in savings by the end of the month. We have way to large of an income to be counting change out to by soup veggies, I have spent frivolously for way to long, it is a new month!

How I plan to do this....
Eating out once a week as our date night, preparing more foods from scratch,
buying necessities and really thinking about purchases outside of necessities (will wait 24 hours for anything over $10), "gasp" cutting out my paper towel addiction- we are going cloth

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
Old 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM

So, I also fell off the wagon for a few months. I am currently on maternity leave and while 2/3 of it is paid time off and the rest I have saved I want to take this opportunity to spend less than what I have in the budget. It is going to be really hard because with a newborn I spend too much time at home and internet shop. We need to cut at least $100-$200 from our budget by November when we need to decide how we will handle daycare. no matter what option we choose it will be more expensive than what it is now so I better start preparing.

1. Grocery run and co-op pick up ($126) $7 starbucks for DH :
2. no spend
3. no spend
4: :Lots of spending but all was budgeted for as part of clothing and grocery budget. Groceries and clothes/shoes for DS1, New baby supplies
5: no spend
6. no spend
7. no spend
8. : over spent at Walgreens. Walked in to get a new lense case but walked out with much more. Will be budgeted in my fun money though so not like I was spending money we did not have. Just money that could have been used for somethign else.

budgeted spending
no spend
: unnecessary spending
Grocery Budget $450:

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 PM

My "no spend" days are me not spending outside my cash-only budget. I do the envelope system and only use cash for groceries, toiletries, gas, "fun", etc.

1): Only budgeted spending! Scored 104oz tempeh for $15 at Surata's Tempeh Outlet from our grocery money...and a bottle of wine for $4.99 from our "fun" money.
2):...I know it's still early, but I'm "in" for the day - so no shopping!
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

NO SPEND=:
SPEND=
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Jenny -- $3 for boots is an AWESOME deal!!! I would consider that a win.
Yeah, but they are cowgirl boots.

09/01: Memory card $10, boots for dd @ Goodwill $3
09/02:

1/20 No-spend days
$13/$100 Frivolously spent

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 09-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Jasmine -- I'm a girl scout troop leader and I'm flabbergasted when I see the things they want our girls to sell. And the girl scouts/boy scouts don't get much of that money. I hate it. Could you just write a check that is a donation to their troop? Ask how much your friend's son's TROOP will get when you purchase that item (the troop leader knows...down to the penny) and ask if you can just write them a donation for that amount. That is what I do instead of having my daughter sell junk to our neighbors.
Oh, I wish I'd thought of that!! That's a great idea! The website does state the amount that goes back to local scouting on each item and that's a good thing at least. In my case, the product I bought was $33.95 (plus $6 shipping) with the amount of $23.76 going back to the troop. I'll have to remember that the next time!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
I want to join in! As a new single mama I really need to watch the money here lol. Right now I'm just wanting to watch out to make sure there is no extra spending. So I'm gonna start today!!! Woo hoo!
Welcome! This thread is just so helpful!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 PM

I'm off to not such a great start.

No money spent:
Necessary/planned spending: :
Unnecessary/unplanned spending:

1 ... : $40 at Staples for small-business supplies
2 ... $12 at Panera for lunch with friends, $20 at Target for cool weather clothing for DD

Monthly Total: $72

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Sept 1 -- 9.30 library fines, 32.40 homeschool stuff
Sept 2 -- 2.07 post office

September goals:

1100 savings
50 paint for dining room
500 groceries
100 dd's birthday

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Today was a good day. I spent $6.25, and I didn't drive! DH only drove to work and back, and he spent $0!

I bought tofu for dinner tomorrow, dish sponges, a treat for the dog (neccesary- that's how I get her to stay quiet in front of the store) and, that old temptress, a Diet Coke for myself.

The good news is that the brakes are fixed on Thing 1.

(We have two virtually identical minivans, both purple Mopars- the old one is Thing 1, and the newer one Thing 2.)

DH spent $80 on car parts yesterday, but $17.68 of that is going to be returned tomorrow, as it was unneeded. Plus, I have a $3 item that needs to be returned, and I'm taking bottles back- so that will shave $20-$25 off our grocery total. Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment, so I'm going to go shopping alone afterward. I'm buying non-food consumables for the month, likewise baking supplies, and Mason jars. Possibly a nail file and some earplugs if I can find what I want. I am also planning on a snack while I'm out so I don't come home as Crashy McBloodsugar. (But I'm going to eat a big breakfast, I know what DH is making for dinner tomorrow and it's yummy, and I'm taking a banana with me, so maybe I'll be able to forgo the snack.) I'm looking at $100, less our returns, so I'm going to take $80 out of the bank, and when that's gone, it's just gone.

I'm also in the No Restaurant Challenge in the other thread. So no driving, no restaurants, no unneccesary spending, all in one month?! Eek! What have I done?

9/1: $80 neccesary durable goods/ $5 unneccesary

9/2: $5.50 neccesary ($3 food, $2.50 nonfood consumable)
$0.75 unneccesary
{No Driving!}

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today was tough. On the way to pick DD up from school, I REALLY wanted a huge iced tea. But I was strong and fought the urge. No spending for me today! I'm working an earlier shift tomorrow, so I'm going to have my lunch prepped and packed tonight to just grab in the morning. (I did some cooking today, so I have a few options)

Tomorrow night DP's paycheck will be deposited. This week was a "lean week", but we should be way ahead after DP gets paid. Of course, if history serves, this is EXACTLY where I get in trouble! So, my challenge for next week is to NOT spend. I want to have a huge chunk carry over to the week after when we get my (smaller) paycheck.

9/1 (Grocery- $31)
9/2

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM

This is exactly where I get into trouble. It seems I have no problem not spending, being very thrifty on the lean days/weeks, but once the money is there...not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
Today was tough. On the way to pick DD up from school, I REALLY wanted a huge iced tea. But I was strong and fought the urge. No spending for me today! I'm working an earlier shift tomorrow, so I'm going to have my lunch prepped and packed tonight to just grab in the morning. (I did some cooking today, so I have a few options)

Tomorrow night DP's paycheck will be deposited. This week was a "lean week", but we should be way ahead after DP gets paid. Of course, if history serves, this is EXACTLY where I get in trouble! So, my challenge for next week is to NOT spend. I want to have a huge chunk carry over to the week after when we get my (smaller) paycheck.

9/1 (Grocery- $31)
9/2

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 AM

Sep 1- Groceries- $28.97 +13.33=42.30- Books- $20- Homeschool Fund-
Sep 2- :$54- grassfed tallow- 2.5 gallons- $7 dh groceries
Sep 3- :$113.64 carseat
Sep 4
Sep 5
Sep 6
Sep 7
Sep 8
Sep 9
Sep 10
Sep 11
Sep 12
Sep 13
Sep 14
Sep 15

Groceries:
42.30 Discount Store+ $64 Maple Syrup+$7 dh=113.30/300- $186.70 left= $46.43 pr/week
allowances:
0/$70
House Improvement:
0/$50
Misc.
0/$50
$54 Tallow- out of misc extra funds - due to a low electricity bill this month. I meant to just keep this money as a cushion, but I really needed to restock on cooking oil as I am down to just a couple of gallons and a friend offered to go in with me- so I went ahead and did it!
Carseat- was budgeted for in separate funds.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM

Money saved- goes to pay off my car early
Sept 1- spent money for the business. none personally
Sept 2- planned grocery day, cancelled
Sept 3-Pick up CSA pre-paid, pick up salt, and baking supplies spent $71 groceries within budget
Sept 4-
Sept 5-
Sept 6-
Sept 7-
Sept 8-
Sept 9- grocery day max 75
Sept 10- pick up CSA prepaid
Sept 11-
Sept 12-
Sept 13-
Sept 14-
Sept 15-

Money spent-
Money saved-
No spend days-

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Sept 1 -- 9.30 library fines, 32.40 homeschool stuff
Sept 2 -- 2.07 post office
Sept 3 --

September goals:

700.00/1100.00 savings
0/50.00 paint for dining room
20.00/600.00 groceries
0/100.00 dd's birthday

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM

I'm back again for September, after my first foray into this challenge in August. Which reminds me I need to update my final August tally (such a nightmare of a month!)

Intros: I'm Kate, I'm a WOHM, DH is a SAHD and we have 2 darling/daredevil boys (3 & 8mon)

Goals: Stop spending unless we've budgeted it! Oh and to save up $100 each month and get rid of our CC debt. I'm also considering to add "world peace" to this list given some of my lofty goals
Allowances include -
2/30 - eating out
10/30 - No Spending

Key:
: - no Spending!!
- budgeted spending
: - unbudgeted spending
- unbudgeted/emergency spending

SEPTEMBER
1 - $15.21 Dinner out (McDonalds) :
2 -
3 - $60 for yoga class (too bad though this tanks my budgeted spending $$)

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM

1) Only budgeted spending! Scored 104oz tempeh for $15 at Surata's Tempeh Outlet from our grocery money...and a bottle of wine for $4.99 from our "fun" money.
2)...I know it's still early, but I'm "in" for the day - so no shopping!
3) Going to buy budgeted toiletries today...other than that, nothing though!:
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)

NO SPEND=:
SPEND=
Old 09-03-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

02.. , :
03.. $13 fair food, :

My Goals:

2/20 No Spend days
2/9 Let the Car Rest days :

Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to go ahead and "call it" for today. I'm working until 6p and then I'm going straight home (to a sick hubby), so I don't foresee myself buying anything. Maybe if I post it, it'll remind me NOT to buy anything!

9/1 (Grocery- $31)
9/2
9/3

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 PM

I had a failure on day one It was small though. Besides bills and predetermined expenses like classes:

1: $25 dog boarder's, and $4.39 at a drive through
2: -
3: $33.14 food, $13 grocery
Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 PM

1 $2 lunch at work
2 $88 food
4 food & gas 90/80
11 food & gas 0/80
18 food & gas 0/80
20 Mia's Birthday!
25 food & gas 0/80

food & gas 90/320
birthday 1.50/50
closing fund 400/1500
nothing purchased

Items Sold (0)

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post

9/1: $80 neccesary durable goods/ $5 unneccesary

9/2: $5.50 neccesary ($3 food, $2.50 nonfood consumable)
$0.75 unneccesary
{No Driving!}
9/3: $82 neccesary

$37 food
$19 durable goods (24 mason jars, earplugs, a nail file)
$22 non food consumables (stuff to make laundry detergent, dog food)
$4 snack while I was running errands- I was NOT Crashy McBloodsugar when I got home!

I have $20 left, and it's going in my gas tank.

No unneccesary spending, from me or DH! :

I paid all our utilities today, half our car payment, and a few others- and we will have enough to pay our property taxes tomorrow!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.

User Tag List