~~ September No-Spend Challenge ~~ Our last week for this challenge...how are you doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 459 Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be September 1st.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

#2 of 459 Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

My name is Prudence and I'm a stay-at-home Mom with three young daughters. My husband is a teacher...so the money is not overflowing around here, but we have a good steady income and we get by just fine when I watch my spending.

My Goals: To become more conscious of where my money is going and to make decisions about when and why I spend it. If I'm not paying attention, I spend too freely and we get into trouble. I read "Your Money or Your Life" years ago and I'm trying to keep the principals of that book acting in my life.

My Plan: To have more days in the month where I don't spend any money than days where I do. This requires a lot of effort on my part. I literally have to choose not to spend the money...and work at other ways of entertaining myself and passing time.

I'm going to come on this thread daily and update my tallies...that keeps me conscious of what I'm doing. Thank you ladies for sticking with me all these months! : I couldn't do this without your support.

#3 of 459 Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM

I'm Jessica, married to Chris who is deployed right now. We're expecting our first baby in mid-September. We're debt-free and saving (slowly but surely!) to buy a house. I'm also going to record my exercise on here.

No money spent: :
Necessary/planned spending: : (groceries, rent, baby stuff etc.)
Unnecessary spending: (such as eating out or a splurge on yarn)
Exercise: :

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

1 (rent)
2 (stocked up on food at Costco today so when my baby comes I won't have to go to the store as often) (lots of walking and "weight-lifting" at Costco, haha!)
3 (car insurance, power bill...ugh the first few days of the month always depress me because that's when the bills are auto-paid...bah!)
5 (as much as I could with a fetus sitting on my sciatic nerve, anyway...)
7 (got the last of my baby stuff, woohoo!)
8 (groceries & new tires for car...they were balder than my husband and snow season is coming!)
14 (groceries)
16 (nursing tops)
18 (lunch)
19 (farmer's market)
21 (visiting husband likes to eat out)
22 (herbs & stuff prescribed by midwife, lunch)

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#4 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 AM

I'm Kim, and I am a SAHM to my 15mo daughter. : My husband is an engineer, and we are currently looking to buy a house. So, I am trying to cut expenses so we can save as much $$ as we can for moving costs, etc. We already managed to save enough for a typical 20% down payment in our area!! My goal is to look for areas where there is excess and cut back on it before we have mortgage payments.

I will start on Sept. 1. Can't wait!! I definitely need this accountability!

No money spent:
Necessary/planned spending: :
Unnecessary/unplanned spending:

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#5 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi, I'm Pax! I'm currently a SAHM to our almost 4yr old and 7yr old. I'm in the process of looking for a part-time job 2 days a week (I'm a LPN) basically planning on having DD2 go to either daycare or do a nanny share 2 days a week while I work Per Diem at a place. Unless I can find a part (or even full time) job working at a Drs office, the hours at most drs offices would be similar to the hours my children are in school. Dh works full time for .gov and is out of state several months out of the year.

Currently we are doing well, we can meet all of our bills and have a savings but we are not full debt free. We do have some CC debt that is slightly less than what we currently have in savings. We could pay it off fully and maybe have $2k in savings but this makes DH and I both uncomfortable. We both grew up poor and we feel better having savings so my hope is to cut out alot of extras and pull our belts in to pay off our debt. My goal is to have our CC and my modest student loan ($8K) paid off within 18mo.

Sorry for the ramble.

DH and I have commited to write down all money we spend (we use cash mostly) we talk about large purchases but I think we have been nickle and dime-in ourselves. $1 here for a soda, $4 for a book etc.

Goals No shopping at goodwill. This will be hard for me as I normally go weekly but we don't need anything.

Keep a lean food budget this month $450. We stocked up (and couponed alot) this past month (august) I'd love to do even less than that amount.
No shopping online with the exception of my monthly order to a co-op site that is factored into the food budget.

Gas $120 for me. DH is usually around $250, but he has been working nights and driving my car (with the better MPG) so maybe able to save $ here

Limit eating out to 4x this month. We normally eat out 4-8x a month, we normally go to places that have a kids eat free and have a coupon for one of the adult's meals.

31st$57 on groceries.

1. NO SPEND!

2. $114 spent, $5 non-food items grocery, $20 b-day gift, $13 Post Office, $4 latte ( didn't need to buy this) $62 fall clothing for me ($145 budgeted), $ 10 waxing (part of my "fun" money)

3.Spent $4 for a Tea and Scone.

4.$4 Latte and Steamer, $19 Groceries, $17 Macdonalds for Dinner.

No Drive days 1/10

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#6 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
a. Who you are

Hi, I am Ruth, No-Spend Challenge junkie and SAHM to three homeschooled kids.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

We paid off our last CC in August, so September is our first month to set savings goals. My initial goal is $1100.

Stick to the grocery budget ($500) and hold on to my dollars!

September goals:

1100 savings
50 paint dining room
500 groceries
100 dd's birthday

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#7 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 PM

I need this. I'm Leta, yet another SAHM to three kids- DSS, 11, who's here part time, DD, 3, and DS, 2.5 months.

At the beginning of this year, we had no debt other than our mortgage and my students loans. We paid cash for our new windows (which are so awesome! ) However, we drained our savings to pay for the windows.

Then, several things happened, and now we are back in cc/car debt.
In January, we got a natural gas bill of nearly $700. (Gas went up 25% during a frigid winter.)
Four weeks later, we had purchased a pellet stove, all the doohickies needed to install it, and enough pellets to see us through the rest of the winter for about $1400. We still had our huge heat debt to the gas co. to pay off for Nov-Feb, which we paid off this spring :, but we still owe $800 on the cc bill for the stove and pellets.
Both our cars died, within weeks of each other, so we bought a van.
We had unforseen travel and medical expenses, which went on cc's. (Thankfully, the medical is interest free until April.)
Plus, our property taxes went up, and our car insurance as well, because now we have collision on the new van. With the addition of the pellet stove, our homeowner's insurance went up, too, though only by $30/yr.
So it's been a butt-kicker of a year for us, financially. Our summer taxes ($575) and car insurance ($640) are due in September, and the only way we'll be able to pay them is because I squirreled a little money away and got a house payment ahead, so we don't have to worry about making a mortgage payment this month. So now is the time to start recording expenses! It's going to be a super tight month, so we need to do it out of pure survival.

My goals are to pay off the $800 we still owe on the pellet stove, and $400 of the medical expenses before February (when our tax return usually hits). Then, I plan on using our tax return to establish an emergency fund and pay off the rest of our cc debt. That way, we should be able to pay off the van completely in 2010, and use the following tax return to pay cash for a second car. That's the plan/hope.

My more immediate goal is to get the taxes and insurance paid for, then a winter's worth of pellets ($700), then about $250 in "investment" purchases (bulk stuff, gamma seal lids, etc.) and only then do Christmas shopping- and I need to have that stuff accomplished by Thanksgiving at the latest.

Another minor goal is to call the HR lady at DH's work, and get all the stuff set up to start a Health Savings Account.

I've been tracking our bill, gasoline, and household spending already, but not our daily incidental stuff, like mailing costs and a pop at the gas station, that sort of thing.

I've bullied DH into compliance, I need to go to Family Dollar today and buy him a memo book. He is definately the spendier of the two of us, so his participation is vital.

I just went through and completely refocused our household budget, leaving us with a theorhetical surplus of around $500 a month, and I want to see where it goes! We don't use debit cards- too many fees!- so it's cash and pen.

Augh, this was too long! If you read it all, thanks.

Anyway here's my codes:
Leta's No Spend Days:
DH's No Spend Days:
Leta's Spendy Days:
DH's Spendy Days: :
Neccesary Spending:
(My rule is that this catagory must be detailed, so I know what "neccesary" really means.)

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#8 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Duuuuuude! I'm SO in this month. I promise. I'm sticking with it. I've said it many times before and always give up...not this time. I NEED to get back on track!!

a. Who you are
I'm Desiree, a mother of 2 (one who is starting K on sept. 9th!) and a homemaker who is semi-frugal but needs to get more "hardcore"!

Dh and I are doing the TMMO. We're currently on Step 3 (working on our 6-month emergency fund). Our goal is $8,000...once that is done we are going to start saving for a BIG down payment on a house. I reaaaaaally want to buy a house - but if i don't stick to my budget better it's not going to happen as quickly as I'd like - which is still not very quick (at least 5 years!). Our EF is currently at $1779.01/$8000.

Well, by putting every penny I can manage to scrounge up in our savings. I even picked up a penny on my walk today - lol - hey! It's money, right? I'm going to try to trim our food budget down a bit and use the things I have on hand - dried grains, beans, etc. and see how low i can go while still eating healthfully. Oh - and I need to stay away from Goodwill. Seriously.

Wish me luck! I try and try to do this but always seem to fail...I SO want a house of our own one day and need to get better with my money if it's going to happen!
#9 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxjourney View Post
Goals No shopping at goodwill. This will be hard for me as I normally go weekly but we don't need anything.
Aaaah! I'm so with you on this one! Maybe we should PM eachother to "talk ourselves down" when we're tempted LOL!
#10 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 06:16 PM

a. Who you are
I'm Aileen, married and part time stepmom to 11 year old dd and 16 year old ds.

Pay off remaining car loan of 6523.63 and remaining cc 2k. Build up 6 month reserve savings (still need to figure out how much this should be).

Watch my spending like a hawk - groceries especially and unnecessary purchases. Have already trimmed cell phone bill, landline bill and cable. Already have automatic draft from paycheck going directly into savings account.

Legend:
Budgeted spend
: Unnecessary spend
No spend

September
#11 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Leta's Spendy Days:
DH's Spendy Days: :
Leta, your key made me laugh out loud

#12 of 459 Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 PM

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.
I hereby vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases!
2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.
8.28 No spending

a. Who you are
Hi! I live in Rockport,TX on the Gulf coast. I work part-time doing taxes for a CPA, and I have two precious kiddos (3.5 DS & 9mo DD).

This is my hubby's slow time of year, plus I won't be working from Nov 1st to Jan 1st (no taxes to do). But it looks like my husband has an oppurtunity to work in Kaneohe, HI during that time, which would mean a lot more $. The problem is the cash to get us all there. So the financial goal is to save enough of what little we're making now to go to Hawai'i for 2 months.

That's a good question. The answers I have now are to only spend money on bills, basic food, toilet paper, soap, and gas. Also, I've increased my hours at work from 15 hours every 2 weeks up to 18 hours a week. If it turns out there's enough work for me to do, I may start going in a few afternoons, too.

I guess I could try making a flexible budget... not sure what we usually spend, so it'd be mostly guesswork.... How do y'all make-up/fine-tune a budget?

Thanks for this thread!
-rockport-

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#13 of 459 Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Leta, your key made me laugh out loud
I was just bein' honest...

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#14 of 459 Old 08-29-2009, 12:41 PM

I'll give this a whirl this month :

a. Who you are

Baraka, who just recently returned from living in China for a few months and is slowly re-acclimating into western culture. DH calls this "reverse culture shock".

We live practically debt free (except for student loans which are mild) and with a low (10-15,000$ year) and variable income. Both DH & I work part time and for ourselves. We have a 2 yo baby girl who is our heart.

Quite literally & immediately, I am traveling to Taos, NM to study with Natalie Goldberg (one of my heros!) at the end of the month. I will take a writing retreat there. In China this summer, I completed my first book, which has been a huge process and milestone for me. This retreat in Taos will be my reboot after that experience to begin a new writing project.

Beyond this, I feel quite certain that I will be a very wealthy woman in this life. And I will create a lot of beauty and joy around me through this material wealth. This is already true, but I can really feel in my gut the truth of this for the future- like a supernova of what already exists.

I want to spend my money in September on this retreat in Taos, not on misc. junk throughout the month. So, I will track and spend only on necessaries and also a few conscious choices of luxury this month. Those are:
1. 2-3 bottles of wine (~$30)
2. 1 show (~$15)
3. Little bits of money for CVS coupon shopping each week (~$2 a week)

Also, a disclaimer that my grocery spending will likely be a touch higher than usual as I am beefing up our stockpile from having been away all summer. Also, I have self publishing expenses that have already been saved for. I won't track publishing costs, but I'll track everything else. DH is totally on board!

Looking forward to this exercise with ya'll!

Grace Comes.

#15 of 459 Old 08-29-2009, 05:25 PM

I sort of fell off the wagon . . . not spending wise, just updating. By Oct 1st we need $1500 for our closing on our home. So I'm in for September. I'm going to take the planning approach by listing out what I expect I'm going to need to spend for vitals and Mia's 3rd birthday. I have vacation from work for a week. I plan on spending most of that time packing and getting rid of items(not shopping or buying more). Hopefully we'll be able to make a few bucks by getting rid of some big items not come with us.

$80 weekly for food & gas
$50 mia's birthday (present & chuckie cheese)
$1500 for house closing

4 food & gas 0/80
11 food & gas 0/80
18 food & gas 0/80
20 Mia's Birthday!
25 food & gas 0/80

food & gas 0/320
birthday 0/50
closing fund 200/1500
nothing purchased

Items Sold (0)

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#16 of 459 Old 08-29-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm Mara, a newly SAHM-- went on maternity leave when my son was born in May, and didn't go back . I'm still getting used to the idea of not earning my own income for the little stuff like lattes, plus I used my paycheck to get all the groceries. I'll use this month to practice getting in budgetary shape!

My goal is not so much to spend nothing, as to be MINDFUL of what I spend, why, and how. Trying to get groceries to go further, meals to go further, tanks of gas to go further. DH and I used to eat out at least twice a week; I'm trying to gradually get that down to twice a month. Goal for September is no more than 5 meals out. DH and I have a system called the Dollar Fairy: he gets cash from the ATM for his day-to-days, but he never puts one-dollar bills back into his wallet for some reason-- he folds them up and pockets them and they end up on the coffee table. I use them to buy frivolous little things (mostly coffee). My goal is to use ONLY dollar-fairy money for that stuff, and to squirrel some of it away.

I do need some new pants badly; my body is shaped differently than it was pre-baby for some reason :, so even though I'm only ~5 pounds over where I started, none of my pre-pregnancy stuff fits. My butt has disappeared and I need new flat-ass pants. So, I know that at some point I'll be hitting up the sale racks, looking for new jeans or cords. I need an oil change, too.

Basically, I am trying to ease my way into this: maybe October or November can be a truly no-spend month!

My key:

: is a no-spend day
: is a planned meal out
is planned spending of some kind
is negative spendy-ness, either a meal or other unnecesaries.
is something bought with the dollar-fairy's leavings

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#17 of 459 Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 PM

8.28 No spending
8.29 A few groceries & TP

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#18 of 459 Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#19 of 459 Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 PM

We have a small trip that I didn't get the chance to save up for, so I want to really minimize spending this month to make up for the lack of planning. Outside of bills and various things that are in the budget, I tend to set aside $200 per week right now for food and spending money and the odds and ends that come up, small household things. I'd like to have that work out to be much closer to $100 per week this month.
#20 of 459 Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My butt has disappeared and I need new flat-ass pants

#21 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 AM

a. Who you are- I'm Kirstin, a mostly SAHM (working ~10 hrs per week) to two little ones. I've been doing the no-spend threads since Jan, and have found the accountability to be extremely helpful to meeting my budgeting goals.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) – Goal one is to avoid having to work FT while my kiddos are little. Goal two is to pay off our car loan and mortgage early. I'm sure there are more goals than that, but it's 1 am and I'm too tired to think of them.

c. How you plan to get there – Follow Dave Ramsey's advice of “Live like no one else, so that later you can live like no one else.” Need to get back into using cash envelope system this month- have slipped back into using debit card for groceries, and I know I impulse buy more things that way. Also I need to get back into cooking from scratch more, for our health and for our budget. All the canning I sweated over last month has given me a new perspective on cooking- it suddenly doesn't seem like a hassle at all, compared to hours and hours of canning!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#22 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post

Quite literally & immediately, I am traveling to Taos, NM to study with Natalie Goldberg (one of my heros!) at the end of the month. I will take a writing retreat there. In China this summer, I completed my first book, which has been a huge process and milestone for me. This retreat in Taos will be my reboot after that experience to begin a new writing project.
Awesome! I just read Writing Down the Bones, and she is one of my heroes now, as well! Enjoy your time in NM!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#23 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 08:41 AM

a. Who you are Amanda- SAHM to 5 yo, 2yo, and one due Nov

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and We need to save about $2200 between now and Dec on various things- including- the MW, backup OB- taxes and Christmas. I had a Christmas account but dh had unexpected surgery- so we were out $4300 for him this year- just mailed the last bill last week woohoo! Total for the birth for me should be about $1800- assuming no transfer. So- since we stupidly didn't set up an HSA based on the bad advice of his HR we took out savings paying for dh's med bills. Sticking to budget we should be able to save what we need to but it will be pretty tight- about 25% of dh's take home pay on top of the retirement savings we already have going(and extra going towards mortgage). Next year after the dust settles from this we hope to get a HSA account rolling- new car fund(plan to replace in maybe 5-6 yrs)- emergency fund up to 6 months expenses(currently at 3 months)- Christmas savings. I think that might be it

Being very conscious of our spending and very strict. However, keeping a little bit of fun in the budget- so that we are less inclined to blow it.

Spending Goals:
Groceries: $300 ($60 will be going straight to my friend for some bulk maple syrup I ordered months ago- this is a years supply)
Eating Out: $40
Allowance/ Fun Money: Me- $30- Dh- $40
House Improvement- $50
Misc- $50

These are the areas I will be tracking as they are the problem spots. We will be finishing the laundry room we just purchased the windows- most of which we used a GC. We still have a $140 GC to Home Depot which I hope covers most of this. However- I know that home improvement projects generally end up cost more than anticipated. I would like some cabinets for this room as well, but it doesn't look like that is in the budget. On the upside we already have the paint, light fixtures and trim for this room purchased. We will for sure need some boards for installing the window, sheetrock mud for patching up, a few pieces of floor trim and a piece of trim for the outside of the house. I hope that we can get the necessities within the $140 gc and $50 budget.

Home improvements have been the big money suck for us the past few years as we have been finishing the house. I am hoping that as this is the last room (upstairs anyway) that we are finishing that next year will be a bit easier on us. And we are all staying away from the hospital and dr's next year!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#24 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 AM

Count me in this month!

I am Sarah, a SAHM to one dd age 2 1/2.

Our goal is to get out of debt. We are BURIED. But we are working the Dave Ramesy steps and hopefully making some progress.

I am planning to track spending on groceries. This is where I spend a ton of money unnecessarily. I want to cook at home six days a week in Sept. (which would be a huge improvement for us). and then have one day a week to order out or go out for something inexpensive.

Also not spending on anything unnecessary. I get needs and wants confused a lot. I also fall for sales thinking I am saving money by buying something I wouldn't have gotten anyway.

married to DH for eleven years Mama to dd1 1/30/07 and dd2 7/12/10
#25 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 09:40 AM

I'm joining this month!

a. Who you are

I'm Danielle and I'm a SAHM to my 6yo dd and expecting dd#2 in November.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

Dh (military) was transferred unexpectedly to VA this spring so we had to pack up and move from TX. Problem is, our house back in TX hasn't sold yet. We got an offer and we're in escrow but the buyer wants us to cover his closing costs (5k) which means we need to save every.single.penny for the next two paydays (Sept 1st and 15th) in order to be able to do so by the closing date (tentatively the 24th although the buyer wants it sooner). It will literally be by the skin of our teeth. We wouldn't have agreed to this if we weren't basically desperate to sell the house. Right now between the mortgage in TX and rent here we are beyond broke.

The next two paydays we will pay bills and then ONLY buy essential groceries (milk, bread, eggs, etc) and put gas in the car (not the truck). It will be freezer/pantry scrounging and beans and rice and rice and beans this month. Dd starts school next week and I've thankfully already got all her supplies. She'll be taking the bus to save on gas, luckily she's really excited about it. I would have liked to get her a few more pairs of shorts but I'm just going to cut the legs off of some pants she has that fit her in the waist but are too short. So basically just make do as best as we can until we get that house sold!

1--Payday--Rent, mortgage, bills--paid
2--
15--Payday--bills
24--Closing on the house
#26 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 12:38 PM

::
Hello! I love jumping in every few months or so to track these!!

I am Amy, sahmom to 2 dds aged 7 and 3 1/2. One is in 2nd grade and the other has preschool 3 times weekly. Now that we have the summer vacation under our belts, its time to get back in the groove.

Some things:
We are remodeling our master bathroom and closet area. We are also hoping to lay hardwood floors on the upper level of our home in the next 6 weeks.
We had been saving up and have managed to stay within the budget and most of everything is paid for with exception to 1K at home depot which will be paid off in 90 days.

We also had DH's pay period cycles change. He used to get paid twice a month, now its every two weeks. So instead of 24 checks, its now 26 payrolls so we get $400 less a month and 2 sort of extra checks instead a year. Since I have always had a payment schedule for over a decade, its easy and hard adjusting to this new system.

1 farmer's market $13 cash; pay for Re Ed at church $130
2 shopping for back to school jeans, socks, undies Kohls $107; Gap $44.80
3 Sushi date night and parents night @ school $48.00
4 payday;pay mortgage and car insurance and no other unplanned spending.
5 no spend day!
6 $10 church
7 $4.50 at pool snack bar. Last day!; groceries $64.02
8 $15 at farmer's market
9 $6.91 at McDonalds; 53.45 at Aldi.
10 $10.51 lunch out w a friend, we both were childless!! $26.72 at walgreens
11 $4.60 at Dairy Queen.
12 3 gift cards =$45 at target for bday party tomorrow,
13 $20 church
14 groceries $52.40
15 pay phone/net/tv bill
16 gas $30.12
17 Aldi and TJs $58.40
18 payday
19 no spend
20 church $20 and apple picking...
21 my mc due
27 529 accts deposited

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#27 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

If I am ~~really~~ aggressive with the walking and stroller this month, there are potentially 11 days where we could go without driving the car. 11 days.

So I'm going to set my goal at 9 no-drive days. Considering I usually set the goal at 5 and almost NEVER make that goal...I'm really stretching myself this month.

But September hasn't started yet, so I'm thinking big.

My Goals:

0/20 No Spend days
0/9 Let the Car Rest days :

#28 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post
Awesome! I just read Writing Down the Bones, and she is one of my heroes now, as well! Enjoy your time in NM!

Isn't she wonderful.. thanks Mama.. this will be my first away time since dd was born. I feel nervous but beyond excited! I think it will be a very powerful experience for me. And I am sharing it with my sister who lives in Boulder..
:

Grace Comes.

#29 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 PM

I love the idea of a no-drive day. Hmm... DD has speech twice a week... we go the big library once a week... and I know I will need to go shopping (for food! I swear! ) alone twice this month... so I'm going to set myself a goal of 10 no-drive days in September.

I spent $4.50 today on a little notebook for DH to record his spending (I already have one), a two liter of diet Coke :, and a can of formula (I had a check for $11 off), because DH has been insisting that we need an emergency can.

(To be fair, the last time I left DS at home with DH, DS woke up and I had forgotten that I had no pumped milk in the freezer. I was home within 10 minutes after DS had woken up, but DH and DS were both pretty ticked off.)

So that Diet Coke was my last hurrah.

The good news is that we spent all of (drumroll please!) $136 on food in the month of August.

(And $17 of that was spent on a half case of og bacon that DH has been dreaming about for months. )

This is just food, as in things we can eat, that aren't prepared. Restaurant meals/snacks come out of a separate budget- the "treat" budget. I've always thought our "treat" habit was fine, the average we spend is $2 a day. But it seems like a lot when you consider that $60 is 45% of what we spent on actual food, not ice cream and cans of pop. But hey, that's why I'm here, right?

Realistically, we are going to spend more on food in September, because the farmer's market is overflowing with produce that we'll preserve. We're going to spend about $75 on onions, apples and potatoes for the cellar (50# of each), $12 on tomatoes to turn into a year's worth of marinara, plus a still uncertain amount on peppers and eggplant to freeze and the other odds and ends we'll need for the marinara. So that will be ~$100 right there. (If we can, I'm going to put off buying the onions, apples, and potatoes until October, because that way they won't have to keep as long, but we'll see.) This isn't stuff I'm going to skimp on, though, because that would be a false economy- this is how we'll keep our food bills from spiraling out of control in the winter months, when our garden isn't overflowing.

But considering we have property taxes and car insurance AND a higher than usual grocery bill to look at, I need this thread to keep me on track!

#30 of 459 Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM

a. Who you are
I'm Jenny. SAHM to a 5.5 year old little girl and a 4 month old even littler boy.

Well, I need to pay off DH's riding lawnmower. My goal is to put at least $600 on it this month. Once that is paid off, we need to buy pellets for the stove and build our savings back up. It's hard not to be overwhelmed.

I need to not shop and not eat out. Those are my biggest weaknesses. I'd love to go an entire month without shopping for anything but food and not eating out but I don't think DH would go for it. We'll see.

Jenny, proud maker of red things

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page