I want to get REALLY frugal(a few questions) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 53 Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great ideas, Leta... but I never understood this: why toner? I'm not one for doing a facewashing routine, but I remember this being a so-called crucial part of my teenaged facewashing needs (according to my sister).

DivaCup/Keeper style cups. I've used my keeper in all kinds of situations: portajohns, restroom stall, bathroom with sink nearby, middle of the desert, bathroomfree-zone, doing biological surveys. The key is to be able to take it out when it's not brimming full, and have something to either wipe or rinse it with. Very doable in all those situations. Actually, portapotty was probably the worst of those on account of stink and space factors. Insteads are so not worth the money, hassle or spill/mess factor.

That said, I need to get a new keeper/diva style cup.

signature currently in transition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 01:08 PM

Someone above mentioned bread not being cheaper to make yourself if you don't have a good source for yeast.

Check out your local Sam's or Costco. Our Sam's club beats every other source I've checked. Even the co-op. Heck, even Frontier. It's $2 for 2 pounds of yeast. So, literally pennies per loaf. I've been baking off the last 2# I got for well over 6 months now & am just coming to the end of it. I probably have enough for a couple more weeks. I make bread several times a week, plus rolls, pretzels, and a variety of other stuff, so it really does last awhile.

I suppose you could argue that you need a membership for that to work for you, but we buy enough other things there that we more than make-up the cost of our membership, so I don't factor that into the expense. Also, if you have a friend or family member who goes you could give them a couple bucks to pick it up for you. It's generally free to walk in & check stuff out at Sam's or Costco. You just can't buy stuff without a card (well, except the Costco pharmacy, which you don't need a membership for). Just tell the greeter at the door that you're considering joining & want to look around. Sometimes they'll even give you a free one day pass to try it out.
#33 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 01:44 PM

:
#34 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 01:57 PM

For anyone who is OK with not all natural laundry detergent and/or who doesn't feel like making their own, Walmart carries Purex powdered laundry detergent in a BIG box for $2.97. The last box I got lasted us about 2 months, and I do at least one load of laundry daily.

Know it's not the most green choice (and it's Walmart of course), but for those who are OK with that stuff it's a great deal!

I can't buy the ingredients to make my own for less than that.
#35 of 53 Old 09-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
For anyone who is OK with not all natural laundry detergent and/or who doesn't feel like making their own, Walmart carries Purex powdered laundry detergent in a BIG box for $2.97. The last box I got lasted us about 2 months, and I do at least one load of laundry daily.

Know it's not the most green choice (and it's Walmart of course), but for those who are OK with that stuff it's a great deal!

I can't buy the ingredients to make my own for less than that.
The detergent I use I get from Smiths/Kroger for $2-3 a bottle.. it's Sun Burst Free and Clear.. it's free of everything- dyes, perfume, and it's plant based. I even use it on cloth dipes and it works great!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#36 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Just had to bump. I am in love with this thread, and the people who posted, and all the wonderful advice they offered out of the kindness of their fingertips.

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#37 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Laundry Detergent: I've done homemade, went back to commercial, and now I'm back to homemade. Not as natural as some, but works the best for me- equal parts Borax, Washing Soda, generic OxyClean, Sun with Bleach Alternative, and Baking Soda. Just mix the powders. Enough to fill a 5 gallon pail costs me about $35 and lasts our family of five about a year. I dissolve mine in hot water, then switch the washer to cold for the wash.
Loved your entire post , but I have a question about this part...

Where do you get your borax and washing soda? I used to make my own detergent, but the cost of borax and washing soda around here was the same as buying the commercial detergent.
#38 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM

I didn't see anyone mention gas. Maybe I missed it. I have really cut back on how much gas we use. We used to fill up the van every week, but now we fill it up every other week. I try to find things to do within a short driving distance. We stay home at least 1-2 days a week. I have more time to do stuff around the house, too!

Diva cup: It holds a lot more than a diaphragm in my experience. I don't know if that's true, but it really seems to for me. I put mine away b/c I had a yeast infection, and I'm afraid I'll reinfect myself. Anyone know how to disinfect it without messing it up? I only buy pads and tampons on sale with a coupon. Some companies like always will send you free samples to get you to try their product.

We eat out too much, but we eat very cheaply when we do eat at home. One night this week we had a leftover night. One night I made spaghetti and fed all six of us for $5 plus leftovers. The grocery store gave me a free turkey as part of a promo. One night we took leftever turkey and made hot turkey sandwhiches for next to nothing. It was good, too!
#39 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post

Diva cup: It holds a lot more than a diaphragm in my experience. I don't know if that's true, but it really seems to for me. I put mine away b/c I had a yeast infection, and I'm afraid I'll reinfect myself. Anyone know how to disinfect it without messing it up? I only buy pads and tampons on sale with a coupon. Some companies like always will send you free samples to get you to try their product.
You can boil your diva cup. Boiling it for 10 minutes (or 20 if you prefer) ought to kill everything in there.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#40 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Got my bread machine for free from my MIL who no longer used hers. It's older but took me about 5 minutes to download the manual on line, bought stuff in bulk from Costco and we are in the bread making business!

Got a sewing machine from Freecycle and a friend is teaching me to sew. I'm going to make basic things like cloth snack bags to replace having to buy zip locks.

We are making everything from scratch unless it is on major, major sale.

Dh and I are learning to ask the question first before buying anything: Do we really need to buy this or could we make do with what we have?
Washing machine broke: Yes, we really need a new one.
Waterproof mattress cover is always in the laundry from dd peeing in her sleep at night. Nope, we don't need another one, just need to wash it more often and use other waterproof crib pads in our linen closet when we don't have time to wash regular cover.
#41 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
Loved your entire post , but I have a question about this part...

Where do you get your borax and washing soda? I used to make my own detergent, but the cost of borax and washing soda around here was the same as buying the commercial detergent.
Borax I buy at the evil bigbox, Washing Soda I buy at SuperOne, a regional grocery chain that is the upper midwest's equivalent of PigglyWiggly. They each cost between $3-$4 per box.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#42 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Mint.com. Free crazy good budgeting software that automatically updates.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#43 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I thought I was the only one who pushed out the Instead, which I also tried as a prelude to buying a Diva Cup. Maybe after this babe comes, I'll buy a Diva Cup?
#44 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 PM

I just wanted to second third or whatever that the Diva Cup is nothing like Instead, I thought they would be similar but after getting the hang of the diva cup there is no comparision.

We use the Costco powder laundry soap, I have yet to find a cheaper way to do laundry.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#45 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM

WRT laundry, since I got into cloth diapers, and found that I could wash all that poop and pee out with a ton less soap, I've been using far less detergent in all my laundry. I mean my regular laundry is, at its dirtiest, far less dirty than the diapers were! That sure makes a jug or box of laundry detergent go a long way.

signature currently in transition
#46 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOne View Post
i see a lot of you are recommending the diva cup. i've been thinking about buying one. so, i saw a product recently at the grocery store called "instead soft cup" - seems like basically a disposable diva cup. so i gave it a try and i tried it for three days and completely hated it. it was extraordinarily messy. i do have 2-3 days of very heavy period and i would pull the thing out after about an hour and have blood running down my hand. even during my lighter days, i would still end up with blood everywhere. i'm pretty sure i had it in right.

is this common with the diva cup too? has anyone tried "instead"
I used an Instead cup I think once, several years ago and HATED it. The Diva cup is completely different. It rarely leaks, is very comfortable, and isn't disposable. I would definitely give it a try and don't base your decision on the Instead. There's really no comparison!

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!
#47 of 53 Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I gave up buying shampoo and conditioner altogether. I went water-only for awhile, and right now I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar plus the odd honey or yoghurt soak. I dye my roots with henna every six weeks or so (well, longer because I'm lazy, but it should be every six weeks!): the henna costs $3 a box and lasts for 3-4 applications. Cheapest hair dye EVER. And I never go to the hairdresser - DH trims it. My hair's long enough to sit on, and costs less in upkeep than most women's short hair! It isn't fashionablr, but it isn't frumpy either - I do complicated braids and updos and have a few good-quality hairtoys like a Ficcare. I get compliments.

If anyone's interested, go to Suite101: I'm the haircare feature writer and have written dizens of articles on water-only washing, conditioner-only washing, natural haircare etc, most of which are frugaler than buying commercial products.

Even using smallish jars of Surebake with bread improver, I don't notice my bread being that expensive. Is yeast cheaper in NZ? I don't use much per loaf, it isn't necessary - less yeast just means a longer rise. (The extreme end of this is sourdough, with no (commercial) yeast and a very long, 2 weekish, "rise".) If you make a double batch of bread, you don't double the yeast. A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#48 of 53 Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 AM

I love reading these ideas!!

I actually love Instead and hate the diva cup. I wanted to love it but it just didn't feel right. I don't know why but I really tried. I don't use the Instead on the heaviest days due to the mess factor which i would assume could be similiar to Diva cup. Still- even if you use the Diva cup on lighter days, you are still being more frugal than all disposable
#49 of 53 Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 AM

Very interesting thread.

Leta, what is the magic jack you mentioned above? I have cut our costs way down on cell and cable but I still have landline because we have poor reception on cell at home. I also am concerned about 911 calls. How does the magic jack work?

I use prepaid cell too, and it costs about $50 per year per phone on average. We used to pay more than that per month per phone on a plan. We are not heavy cell users though. I use a calling card for long distance calls off our landline phone and dropped regular long distance service. We also use Skype for some long distance calls.

I am looking for ways to cut back with minimal impact. My DH is laid off right now, and since he is home all the time I have to work with him more than I used to on what we do to cut back. I used to keep the house at 65 degrees and now he keeps it at 68 and will.not.budge. Stuff like that can be an issue.
#50 of 53 Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 AM

Have you seen the show House Poor? Its on HGTV on Monday nights I think ? Not sure about the day...if you don't have cable you can watch it on their website.

Couples want to renovate but they 'say' they don't have the money. The hosts show them where they're losing money etc. It really motivated me to analyze our spending and I realized we were spending WAY too much money on eating out and purchases that we didn't need.
#51 of 53 Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM

The magicJack is a device about the size of a tic tac box that sells at Radio Shack for $40. One end has a male USB and the other end has a female phone jack. You plug an analog phone into the MJ, plug the MJ into your computer, and you have VOIP home phone service. (Theoretically, if you wanted to tote a laptop, the MJ, and a phone with you, you could have service anywhere there was a wifi hotspot.)

The $40 upfront cost includes the first year of service. After that, it costs $20/yr or $60 for five years. ($60/5yrs = $1/mo, so that's where that figure comes from.) This includes all long distance calling to anywhere in North America. Overseas calls are like 2c/minute. If you call overseas regularly, you might just want to buy a MJ for your friend/relative, as MJ to MJ calls are free anywhere in the world.

If you want to have a single phone line with more than one phone, the only way that the MJ will work is to have a cordless phone with multiple handsets.

You need a windows PC and a high speed internet connection. We have the lowest speed of DSL thru AT&T and the MJ works fine for us.

If you have functional phone lines in your house, and a corded phone, 911 works even if you don't have service. DH and I also have back up tracfones, so we are comfortable with VOIP.

MJ can be glitchy, and if your internet goes out, your phone doesn't work. I don't care, though. The money saved is more important to me. If we use our MJ for 6 years, we'll save almost $4000, even after we've deducted the upfront costs.

Our cost breakdown went like this:

MJ: $40
Powered USB Hub (that we needed anyway, but we bought the bigger one to fit the MJ): $30
New 4 handset cordless phone (again, we needed this anyway, but with the MJ we had to have it): $40
Thin Client from eBay (preconfigured for the MJ): $80, ppd

We also bought a $100 router, but we had to buy this, MJ or no, so I won't count it in this assessment.

Total: $190. We were paying $80/mo for a landline with unlimited U.S. long distance and DSL. When we dropped the landline, our bill went down to $20/mo (for stand alone DSL). So even with the upfront cost of the equipment, it all paid for itself in just over three months. If you want to be really draconian and count the router toward our up front cost, this set up still paid for itself in under five months.

We've had our MJ since February, so we've fully recouped our costs and then some. In February, we'll re-up for five years, and have home phone service for $1/mo.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#52 of 53 Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Thank you for all the details Leta. I'm going to discuss it with DH. We already have cordless phones, and a router in the house for wireless internet, and cable internet. So those things are in place. I went through a similar exercise last year do decide if we should switch to cable phone or some other internet-based phone service and at that time we decided not to do it. I guess it's time to revisit it.
#53 of 53 Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
I thought I was the only one who pushed out the Instead, which I also tried as a prelude to buying a Diva Cup. Maybe after this babe comes, I'll buy a Diva Cup?
You need to work on your pelvic floor and then you wont have any issues.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page