September ~~Low Income Thread~~ - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 397 Old 09-30-2009, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post

LizzyQ, that is a great deal on beans!! I have been trying to use dry beans, because they are cheaper, but I love the convenience of canned beans. They are such an easy dinner for my DS. He will eat a bowl of black beans, straight from the can. I think I might cook up a pot of beans once a week, just so I have them hand. Anyone know how long they can keep for in the refridgerator once they are cooked?

So, I found out today that I am pretty much assured of getting my new job! My new supervisor emailed me and said that she is appealing to her higher ups to get me another $.50 an hour! When I was interviewing, she said that the starting rate was $9 per hour, and I said that I was really looking for $10 (still can't believe I was brave enough to ask for that... ) She said it was just company policy and she couldn't do anything about it, but today she emailed me and said that she is trying her best! Wah Hoo! I also took that to mean that she is going to be offering me the job, otherwise, why would she be fighting to get me more money? Happy Day!!

The down side is that I have realized that I will be taking home less money each month once I start working at this job. Grrrrrr..... I will be working less hours at my "on-call" job that I work about 25-30 hours per month at, and I also will be receiving less state cash assistance (if any), plus my rent will go up, food stamps will go down, and I will have to pay an extra $30 per week in childcare costs that I wasn't paying before. I might have to start paying at DS's preschool as well.

I am pretty sure we are going to be hurting a bit more, but it should only be temporary. If I can get DS into the preschool that I will be working at, I won't have to pay for the $30 per week childcare, plus I should have free tuition (or pretty close to it). I also have the option of applying for a full time spot which would be a dollar more an hour, plus once I graduate, I will receive another dollar an hour raise. I can't wait!!! It sounds so perfect!!!
They don't keep well in the fridge , but beans freeze very well.

Congrats on your job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwat View Post
I just realized today is the last day of September !
It's kinda gray and cool today, but otherwise today is an alright day (so far)
It is gray and rainy here today.. suppose to snow tomorrow I'm not a winter person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
well, my parents told me the other day that they basically cannot help out nearly at all anymore. they got their bank statement the other day and now they're worried about eating their once-a-month dinner out

I am so furious about this whole situation. I have a job that's more than happy to offer me hours, but I simply cannot do it at 8 months pregnant. Mentally, emotionally, physically--I CAN NOT.

We still haven't got food stamps or medicaid "fixed", as they "lost my paperwork" and closed the case, but have not yet re-opened it. I have a fair amount in my bank right now, but of course it's all earmarked for some bill or other. I'm wondering which bill would be least bad to blow off so I can buy some groceries Of course the mid-Oct paycheck will be miniscule, and there might not be an end-of-Oct check at all...

Looking forward to student loan money and tax return time--screw the holidays!
Ugh! What a headache! I am looking forward to tax return $$ too.. although I will probably spend it on bills this year, and only save $500 of it for a vacation. (We always use our tax return for vacation)

---

THis week was suppose to be DH's last week of work at the BLM, but they offered for him to stay one one more pay period (2 weeks). Which is bittersweet. We NEED him to work, but I wish he were home more (working out of town). Then he MIGHT have a job on a film in CO with his friend for a month.. which means more workin out of town... WHY, WHY WHY can't he find a job HERE?!! I hate the film industry.. even though it pays so well, it is such a headache!! If he gets this job it will probably be $300 a DAY! So I can't tell him he can't take it, ya know? But it would be nice for my DSs to have their papa around.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#392 of 397 Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Question: Holiday Helper signups.

Thanks for the comments ladies! I will update you all on the signup thread, probably tomorrow.
#393 of 397 Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Pumpkin Pie -- congrats on the job!

And about storing cooked beans, if you do them up & let them cool you should be able to store them in baggies in the freezer for quite awhile. I'd just squeeze out all the air & mark what type & the date. Maybe do a test batch & see if you like the way they come out after being frozen? I've done this before & they were fine for us, but we don't eat them straight either. Always in a soup or some other dish.
#394 of 397 Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 PM

Please let me know when sign ups are things just fell apart here and we are barely hanging on by a thread!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#395 of 397 Old 09-30-2009, 10:24 PM

So, my working interview went great today, and I think I am really going to like working there. I found out that there is only a very slim chance of getting him into that preschool any time in the next year. Plus, I am having an insanely hard time figuring out how to get DS to me at my job, or me to him without one of us leaving at the wrong time from school/work.

The woman I was going to hire to bring him home isn't going to work out, and I have a few friends who are willing to do it, but it is hard to arrange it, as noone can really do all 5 days.

It also looks like I am only going to be making $9 an hour, but I will get a full gym membership! I think I will be dropping DS off an hour or so early each day and hitting the gym like crazy. I would love to get a good workout in each day before work. How fabulous would that make me feel???

Peacemamalove, I am so sorry things are so hard for you and your family right now. I was so there last year at this time, and was so grateful for the Holiday Helpers. I ended up being helped more than I ever thought possible, and I can't wait to be a helper this year. I don't have a lot to share, but am grateful that I don't need help this year and that I have a little extra.

Thanks so much for the tips on the beans. We have eaten pretty much all of the pound of beans already, so I think I am ready to try cooking them in bigger batches and freezing them. I LOVE black beans. Seriously, I think I could eat black beans and rice every day and not ever get sick of them. Thankfully, DS feels the same way. He ate a huge pile of rice and beans with a little chicken tonight and asked for more. :

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#396 of 397 Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 AM

s Pumpkin pie and thanks so much . At the moment we aren't sure what we are going to do but we are just so thankful that tomorrow is the 1st and at least we will have food

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#397 of 397 Old 10-01-2009, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

New October Thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...4#post14462814

Sleepless Mommy, please post the Holiday Helper sign-ups at the October thread. Thanks!

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page