September ~~Low Income Thread~~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 397 Old 09-07-2009, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post

I have another smaller problem, but still worrisome. I have been buying the 20lb bag of rice from Whole Foods, that is long, brown, basmati rice. They are not carrying that now, but another short grain brown rice. Our family depends on this rice as part of our diet. We eat rice every single day. I've asked them if they can order, but the person I spoke to doesn't know.

Anyone know a friend or family member who works at Whole Foods? Can I order this? This is vital to our diet. I am currently buying from their bulk bins, about 5lbs at a time. It's much more expensive that way!
I special order stuff all the time, they probably stopped carrying it due to low sales but talk to the grocery manager and they can order it for you.

Seriously?
#122 of 397 Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jyotsna, I agree with Satori, talk to the manager of the store, they usually will be very nice about it if they know you are interested in a specific product.

Well, it's Monday, and Labor Day to boot. And what am I doing up at 6am in the morning?!?! Getting ready to go to work (of course Please (whoever) let today be quiet and not a complete madhouse like Saturday was (beg)

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#123 of 397 Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM

Well, today was interesting... but at least there were no stupid callers today, just super busy. Why do people insist on calling places when they KNOW it's a holiday (sigh)
Anyway, Happy Labor Day all.

#124 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Banned

I'm joining in.

I'm broke. I received a letter today saying my student loan is going into defult and the only way to stop that is to pay $200. I don't have $200 to pay them

Just two weeks ago, I was told my forbarence was approved and that I didn't need to start making payments until November of next year. As it turns out that was a "mistake".

They are sending me the paper work to get my payments lowered, but I still have to come up with the $200 first. I have no idea how to come up with this money, as it is we're barely getting the necessary bills paid. (actually, we're not every month...)

I hate this!
#125 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 09:47 AM

s Madders I know how frustrating and upsetting that is. It is so hard sometimes when there just isn't any money!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#126 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Well I am starting to get in a bit of a panic mode. School started about 3 weeks ago and I still haven't had fin. aid come through. I signed a lease on a house and I am starting to think things aren't going to fall in place like they should. My X is still trying to set up the BAH (money that the kids and I will get until the divorce is final) and of course he doesn't have any info on what's going on with that. : Food stamps wants to jerk me around and take their time, sending me new things I need to bring in each week. I still am in the processing stage and don't have any benefits yet. I just need ONE thing to come through, just ONE thing right now, is that too much to ask?

~Allyson~
Mama to and
#127 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllysonB View Post
Well I am starting to get in a bit of a panic mode. School started about 3 weeks ago and I still haven't had fin. aid come through. I signed a lease on a house and I am starting to think things aren't going to fall in place like they should. My X is still trying to set up the BAH (money that the kids and I will get until the divorce is final) and of course he doesn't have any info on what's going on with that. : Food stamps wants to jerk me around and take their time, sending me new things I need to bring in each week. I still am in the processing stage and don't have any benefits yet. I just need ONE thing to come through, just ONE thing right now, is that too much to ask?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#128 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Well my fin aid is supposed to be dispersed to my debit card today and I'm still waiting, going nuts too lol Went ahead and bid on a computer on ebay this morning to replace my 6 yr old dinosaur that was used when I got it. I got a heck of a deal, now I just need my money to pay for it! I feel like a kid at xmas FINALLY getting something for ME

The kids are covered for warm winter coats which makes me really happy, now I just need to work on getting winter clothes for my older dd and we'll be set. Today, I don't feel poor even though I know every penny of that grant is spent is a wonderful feeling to know that at least most of our expenses if not all will be covered for the next 3 months if I'm really careful with it

Seriously?
#129 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I hope things turn around for you soon!

Seriously?
#130 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM

Well I was right. Last week's dr's appointment was the last. Now gotta get through flu season. At least I have credit at my other dr's that would probably cover half a flu treatment. But hopefully no NEW medical bills!

But now there's the midwife $1400 (partner paying other half), but she offers payment plans.

Fortunately saved the useful items from my first baby and have credit at the re-sale store if needed.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#131 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Well my fin aid is supposed to be dispersed to my debit card today and I'm still waiting, going nuts too lol Went ahead and bid on a computer on ebay this morning to replace my 6 yr old dinosaur that was used when I got it. I got a heck of a deal, now I just need my money to pay for it! I feel like a kid at xmas FINALLY getting something for ME

The kids are covered for warm winter coats which makes me really happy, now I just need to work on getting winter clothes for my older dd and we'll be set. Today, I don't feel poor even though I know every penny of that grant is spent is a wonderful feeling to know that at least most of our expenses if not all will be covered for the next 3 months if I'm really careful with it
I bought 2 coats at Old Navy this spring for a few dollars each on their end of season clearance.. DS2 will hopefully fit into DS1's old coat this winter.. it's 6-12 months size. Too late for that this coming season, but something to think about for next year. (you could get next year's summer clothes on clearance though)

Congrats on your new computer! I got mine last year with my grant refund (and a free ipod and printer to boot!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
Well I was right. Last week's dr's appointment was the last. Now gotta get through flu season. At least I have credit at my other dr's that would probably cover half a flu treatment. But hopefully no NEW medical bills!

But now there's the midwife $1400 (partner paying other half), but she offers payment plans.

Fortunately saved the useful items from my first baby and have credit at the re-sale store if needed.
I owe about that to my midwife too (and I've paid $1000 already).. I'm making $50 payments until next year's tax return.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#132 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
s Allyson hope something comes through for you soon!

#133 of 397 Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Well, I received a bill in the mail from my doctor visit I had back on August 28th, the visit I PREPAID for. After calling and talking to the billing department, I find out that not only do I not owe more, I was overcharged by $34. It turns out the receptionist, against the policy of the place, told me I owed more than I did and applied what I paid extra toward a bill my husband still owes from April, a bill I might add that we've applied for charity for and are still waiting to find out if it was approved. : That was $34 I could have used that week for something important, not as a 30% payment toward a bill we may not even have had to pay. Now that it's been paid, if the charity application is approved, it will not be refunded. It's money gone for nothing because some receptionist was feeling self-righteous that day. What really gets me is that she looked me right in the eye when she told me that she was certain this was the correct amount because I made her look up our application for the sliding fee scale and told her how last time I came in, about a year and a half ago, I was overcharged and had to wait over 3 weeks to receive my refund. Yet she still insisted I did in fact have to pay $110.50, not the $76 I thought I had to pay.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#134 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Purity I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I can't believe that lady would be so blatant and dishonest. I hope that it gets straightened out for you soon.

Thank you mama's for all the hugs. I do have some good news that came in the mail a check : from the airline that lost our luggage for 3 days. They are reimbursing us for costs incurred. So it's not much, but better than nothing, and maybe something will some through before we go through that. fingers crossed!

~Allyson~
Mama to and
#135 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Yah for unexpected checks in the mail!!
And boo to financial aid that is taking it's sweet@$$ time arriving
Well, I made (slightly) chunky applesauce with the apples that I had left (had to hide them so I could use them ) today (or possibly Thurs, since that's my day off this week) I'm making applesauce cake-IF I can find the recipe.
Hope everyone has a good day : (and good news comes through for the ones that are waiting)

#136 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Well, I received a bill in the mail from my doctor visit I had back on August 28th, the visit I PREPAID for. After calling and talking to the billing department, I find out that not only do I not owe more, I was overcharged by $34. It turns out the receptionist, against the policy of the place, told me I owed more than I did and applied what I paid extra toward a bill my husband still owes from April, a bill I might add that we've applied for charity for and are still waiting to find out if it was approved. : That was $34 I could have used that week for something important, not as a 30% payment toward a bill we may not even have had to pay. Now that it's been paid, if the charity application is approved, it will not be refunded. It's money gone for nothing because some receptionist was feeling self-righteous that day. What really gets me is that she looked me right in the eye when she told me that she was certain this was the correct amount because I made her look up our application for the sliding fee scale and told her how last time I came in, about a year and a half ago, I was overcharged and had to wait over 3 weeks to receive my refund. Yet she still insisted I did in fact have to pay $110.50, not the $76 I thought I had to pay.
Wow, that's terrible! I would write a sternly worded letter to the doctor's office to let them know what happened. Your doctor should certainly know that the receptionist did this and that it created an unnecessary hardship for you.
#137 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLittleHouse View Post
Wow, that's terrible! I would write a sternly worded letter to the doctor's office to let them know what happened. Your doctor should certainly know that the receptionist did this and that it created an unnecessary hardship for you.
I spoke with the billing manager. She was the one who was going to have a stern talking to Gloria, the guilty receptionist and assured me she would take steps to ensure it never happened again. This is a neighborhood clinic, that charges on a sliding fee scale. This time, I saw an ANP? there are several doctors and nurses that treat people there and they have a dental clinic. The billing department is in a completely different building than the clinic itself, not even on the same road.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#138 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 PM

So glad to have found this thread!!!! I just graduated from college this year but am staying home as long as possible. DP did about 3 years of college (cumulative over like 6 years) but hated it, so he is working full time as an Ed tech and respite worker.

We are currently renting a beautiful home from my grandparents (moved to FL) for only $500 a month and without their help, we would totally not be making it right now. The thought of paying for heat is kinda freaking me out now, on top of all of our other bills. I applied for fuel assistance but couldn't get an appointment until december. The loan companies are starting to call about DP's loans as we can't afford the payments... I'm still in the grace period for mine, thankfully, however it is going to be rough when it comes time to start paying on mine as well.

We get fs and I had to send in the reapplication papers today, kinda freaking out about it as DP is making a bit more now than he was before but we will see.

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#139 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 05:19 PM

I understand about heat bills. Oh, do I understand. I would strongly suggest looking at pellet stoves. I know it's not your house, but if you have to pay the heat, it would still be worth doing. Ours cost $1100- $600 for the stove, $400 for all the stuff, including a sawzall, to install it. Our natural gas bill is now $75/mo (we also have gas hot water and a gas stove), year round, and we spend about $700 a year to buy pellets. I couldn't tell you what our year round gas bill was before, because we racked up $500-$600 bills every month for 7-8 months and spent the rest of the year paying it off. The point is, the stove saves us ~$2000 per year on heating costs, so it's already paid for itself in the half-a-heating season that we've had it.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#140 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 PM

Sorry about the typo! I meant that it cost $1000, not $1000. I can do simple addition.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#141 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM

What are pellet stoves?

We used a woodstove when I was a child/teen. I hated that thing. My bedroom was upstairs and was never warm enough. We put out the fire at night or if we left, of course, so I was always cold at night. The ash landed EVERYWHERE and we kids were forced to dust every week. Yuck. Chopping wood wasn't so bad, but I HATED scooping out the ashes once per week. Also, I'm allergic to trees, so needless to say, my allergies were horrid while at home.

Are pellet stoves any different?

#142 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 PM

I think all stoves are different our woodstove we had did not get any ash all over and it heated the house very very well sometimes too well !

Things here are not lloking any better. We are not sure when dh will be going back to his full time regular job and the bills are killing us as we just can't pay them right now.

just feeling really depressed and blue right now

#143 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Well, the ash that I say landed everywhere was a very fine powder and barely noticeable unless you wiped it off, just in case my description was a little exaggerated.

for you Peacemamalove.

#144 of 397 Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
I haven't received my financial aid letter even though the college supposedly sent it on the 18th. Now I have to go down to the college to get it. Which sucks because I really do not even have bus fare. And my cell phone is broken. The screen just stopped working. I have not had service for a couple months because I am totally broke, but I will need it when I am in school so the daycare can get ahold of me no matter where I am. So that means now somehow I have to come up with at very least $100 for a freaking new cell phone. : I haven't been able to go grocery shopping either even though I have a ton of food stamps because I don't have a ride.
hopefully this might help you!

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/Home.aspx
#145 of 397 Old 09-10-2009, 02:41 AM

Ugh, I just need moral support right now.

It turns out that DH needs 15K's worth of dental work, ASAP. And I need to get yet another colposcopy - every 4 months it's 1,000, not to mention pain and horrible side effects, but that's another story. The combination of these two wipe out all our savings. We live on slightly under 14k a year and had finally saved enough up with inheritances to have a small wedding (we never were able to afford one when we got married) and to trade in our 1998 car that barely runs. We wanted to get something shiny "new" - 5-6 years old or something. Now we can't even afford that, and now we have NOTHING to save up from - the inheritance is wiped out by the medical bills. And if my tests find something WRONG - well that's the kicker - I can't afford to get surgery/treatment for it. Excellent. We don't qualify for Medicaid in this state because we're 74% or something like that of the FPL and you have to be 70% to get aid, and because we own our house. So just, ew. I feel like crying. DH and I are fighting ALL the time now because of this. He's been looking for a job since 2005 and he just can't find one. And the more time that passes, the less likely it is he can even find one. It's just, horrible right now.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#146 of 397 Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
Unfortunately, the service is not available in my area. Thanks though, that is really cool.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#147 of 397 Old 09-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Hi everyone
Sorry everyone's having a tough time right now (me included)
I had a whole list of things I need to do today (it's my day off) but I also have 2 kids home sick from school. This should be a fun day :
Although one of the sickie's is DS1 so maybe he can lay on the couch in the living room with DD2 and "keep an eye" on her for a little while. (those two love each other
Welcome to the new people

#148 of 397 Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
What are pellet stoves?
A pellet stove is a more high tech woodstove. Instead of burning lengths of cordwood, it burns pellets made from compressed sawdust that are bound together with a binding gum made from tree sap. (The pellets look like large gauge hamster food and make rockin' good kitty litter. )

The idea here is that the sawdust would otherwise just be waste, so this is a "green" option that doesn't contribute to deforestation. The downside is that you can't scavenge fuel.

Pellets aren't expensive, though. Bought from Menard's (a sort of regional Home Depot) they are $5/40# bag (so cheaper per pound than the cheapest generic kitty litter). Bought in bulk, they are $150/ton. 4 tons gets us through a U.P. winter in a medium size drafty old barn of a house with a little leftover. (Hopefully, AMCAB comes thru, we get our attic insulated, and need fewer pellets. :fingerscrossed)

We use half a bag a day through November and March, a bag a day in December and January, two bags a day in Februrary, and average about five bags a month throughout April and October.

You do have to scoop the ashes out when it's cooled, about every other day. I use an offset trowel that cost $3 at the hardware. This is not a fantasically messy process, as ours only has about 2c. of ashes at a go. We have a galvanized bucket with a tight fitting lid that we scoop the ashes into, so the mess factor is minimal. When we empty out the bucket outdoors, that is messy, but it's outside, so I don't care.

Then, when it's warm outside and the stove is dormant, you do have to take it apart and vacuum it well. This is a PITA, but it's only once a year, so, again, I'd rather deal with two hour project than pay another $2K per year for heat.

The pellet stove has a computer in it that regulates things like burn temp, so (theoretically) it produces less ash, and it is more efficient than a traditional wood stove. They are also more expensive up front, and like I said before, you can't scavenge fuel, so that's a tradeoff.

They're really easy to load, though- you just dump the bag in the hopper, close the lid, and push a button. No kindling or lighting.

HTH

#149 of 397 Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Oh, ugh, Kalenanai, I'm so sorry.

Have you considered going to Mexico for your DH's dental work? My grandma did this and saved a bundle.

#150 of 397 Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Didn't even think of that... I wonder if it'd be feasible... Though I'm not sure how keen DH would be on the idea, but I could look into it. How do you find legitimate places down there, do you know? I'd be afraid of falling for an Internet scam.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page