September ~~Low Income Thread~~ - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
I know when I got pg with my DD I went to one of those free pregnancy testing places and they gave me proof for medicaid. I know planned parenthood does it too here for $15 I think.
this is what I did. I paid $10.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#182 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
. I am REALLY leaning away from the medical field right now, simply because I did it for so long and although I am good at it, the pay is good, and generally the benefits are incredible around here, I really don't enjoy it even for a minute.
I totally get this... I am a pca (patient care assistant) and hear all the time how lucky I am to have a job, to have a stable job, and how I should love helping people... I feel like just saying, "Uh, yeah. That's all a given. Of course I'm glad I have a stabel job..." but seriously, I want a different, unique, creative way to not only make a living; but make a life.

good witch
#183 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 PM

Oh, I forgot to add, I found a Halloween costume for DS at the Salvation Army today for $6.50!! I bought an unused pattern for toddler costumes at a yard sale for a quarter a couple of weeks ago, and DS has been BEGGING for the bumblebee costume. I was planning to find a way to buy the material to make it, but I found a great bumblebee today! It is a size 6-12 months, but it is made really big, and I can squish DS into it without snapping it at the crotch and he absolutely ADORES it! : Even the hat fit (although a little snug). I still might make the bumblebee if I can find the material for cheap, but now there is no pressure to make one. Yippee!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#184 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplespirit View Post
I totally get this... I am a pca (patient care assistant) and hear all the time how lucky I am to have a job, to have a stable job, and how I should love helping people... I feel like just saying, "Uh, yeah. That's all a given. Of course I'm glad I have a stabel job..." but seriously, I want a different, unique, creative way to not only make a living; but make a life.
Yes, I just got so burned out. I saw so many horrible, sad things over the years, plus I really hate the feeling of making a mistake that affects a person's well-being physically if I make a mistake. I have definitely done some good in people's lives, but just the fear that I could seriously hurt someone completely accidentally just makes me stress out. I just don't need that at this point in my life.

A nice easy job that takes little to no brain power for a few months is actually sounding pretty good about now.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#185 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 PM

Can I just paint for a job? Will someone pay me to do this? I'll take $1000 a mo for 30 hrs a week. No benefits nessicary except the occasional sabbatical for inspiration.
#186 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 11:42 PM

seriously though, I am a healer - just as soon as I get my massage license. I'd hate the medical field. I love to heal people though.::::
#187 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 12:53 AM

Does anyone know if DSHS offers child care assistance to full time students? My dd's daycare is the same price as my tuition this year so after paying both I only have $700 a month to live off of including rent and deposit to move into a place. I am in such dire finances and I don't want to spend all day at dshs if there just going to say I need to quit school and get a job for them to pay for my dds daycare. Thanks

Sugaree hippie mama: to one perfect daughter 9/07: one money-pit:
We : we share a:Right now we are: :
#188 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugareemoma View Post
Does anyone know if DSHS offers child care assistance to full time students? My dd's daycare is the same price as my tuition this year so after paying both I only have $700 a month to live off of including rent and deposit to move into a place. I am in such dire finances and I don't want to spend all day at dshs if there just going to say I need to quit school and get a job for them to pay for my dds daycare. Thanks
I'm not sure what DSHS stands for...

however, at my community college, parents can get federal funding for childcare. I have a friend who did this last year.. the only requirement was they have to be a licensed care center.

#189 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

For those discussing the Safe-Link phone, I ordered it 10 days back, and it came in the mail. It's very small, but it gave me 68 minutes.

Some of you may want to order it to keep as a back up phone, or to use for emergencies (if you don't have a phone). Just thought I would let you know that it was easy to get (if you receive DHS benefits) and easy to use.

You do have to remember to keep it on during the first day of each month, to receive your free minutes. Nice huh?

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#190 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 02:36 PM

I think SafeLink + magicJack would be great for low income families.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#191 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 PM

I so wish we had SafeLink here in Vermont. We used to get Lifeline on our Unicel cell phones, but then Unicel left Vermont, so now we don't have any Lifeline credit on any phone plan here at all.

So, I decided not to take the bagel job for $8.50 an hour. My two other jobs pay more, and I was making nearly double that 2.5 years ago. Just because I had a baby and am a single mama, doesn't mean my work is worth only half of what it was. I just think I would feel so badly about myself every time I got a paycheck if I accept so little compared to what I was getting. I am going to give the job search at least 2 more weeks, and I actually qualify for 4 more weeks of paid job search with Reach Up (VT's welfare cash benefit program), so I am going to hit the pavement on Monday and see what else I can find. I just hate the idea of being locked into a job, if even only psychologically and then not feeling like I can look for something better. If I take the bagel job, I will feel terrible if I have to leave only a few weeks or a month or so later.

Can you hear me universe? This mama needs a real job that pays a livable wage!!! :

#192 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Wow, PP... you really were banned for having high expectations.

JK... I think that is the right decision, especially since you'll graduate this spring. Good luck.

So, on my walk today, guess what I found? A free pile. And guess what was in this free pile? A pair of matching table lamps.

Guess what we have needed for six months and been doing without because everything is just too expensive?
Bedside lamps.

They even match our bedroom.

But wait! Here's the best part! The lamps are Depression Era milk glass. (Or a high quality reproduction.) My mom and grandma collect milk glass, so I know. So they're actually worth buying lampshades for, . Even if DH has to rewire them it'll be worth it. I am STOKED.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#193 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post

JK... I think that is the right decision, especially since you'll graduate this spring. Good luck.

So, on my walk today, guess what I found? A free pile. And guess what was in this free pile? A pair of matching table lamps.

Guess what we have needed for six months and been doing without because everything is just too expensive?
Bedside lamps.

They even match our bedroom.

But wait! Here's the best part! The lamps are Depression Era milk glass. (Or a high quality reproduction.) My mom and grandma collect milk glass, so I know. So they're actually worth buying lampshades for, . Even if DH has to rewire them it'll be worth it. I am STOKED.
that is great! I love finding things like that! I'm on the lookout for some bookshelves myself for our home school supplies & books - they are taking over my office.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#194 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Oh it would be great to get the lifeline phone credit! Pumpkin Pie I hope the Universe is listening to you Finding a decent job here in Vermont is so challenging!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#195 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:

That stung a bit mama.

ETA: I just noticed this:
Quote:
JK... I think that is the right decision, especially since you'll graduate this spring. Good luck. :
Sorry about that, didn't read the entire post carefully. I am a dope who is too tired and needs to get to bed. :yawn:

I am just feeling like I need to look a bit harder. This was the first real interview that I have had, and $8.50 an hour really feels like such a low amount to be making. I get that it is a paycheck, but such a small one. I am currently working at my church on the weekends (around 2 hours per week) for not quite twice that amount, and I also have a small salaried position there. I also fill in occasionally at a local retail shop for $10 an hour. I would have to say no to the retail shop much more often if I had a "regular" job that was paying me $1.50 less an hour. It would just be so hard psychologically on me, I think.

Plus, I am a firm believer that if you put it out there to the universe, that you will find what you need. I know that there are service jobs currently out there that pay very little, and I also can find PCA positions that I can do for more. I am just trying to find something that fits and pays the bills. Trust me, I do not like being unemployed/underemployed AT ALL...

I also wouldn't put the bagel place on my resume. It would literally just be a fill in until I could find something else. I just don't feel right taking a job from a manager of a shop only to turn around and quit as soon as possible so I can find a job more in the field (social services) that I really want to work in.

I hate job searching.........

#196 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 PM

I don't know, a low paying job is WAYWAY WAYWAYWAY better than no paying job or irregular hours you can't always count on. I'd take the job and keep looking. Food service, especially entry level, has such a high turnover, I certainly would not use not wanting to quit as a factor. And especially in this economic environment, any job is a huge bonus when so many aren't able to get ANY job.
#197 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
I don't know, a low paying job is WAYWAY WAYWAYWAY better than no paying job or irregular hours you can't always count on. I'd take the job and keep looking. Food service, especially entry level, has such a high turnover, I certainly would not use not wanting to quit as a factor. And especially in this economic environment, any job is a huge bonus when so many aren't able to get ANY job.
Yes, I agree, but I actually have 2 paying jobs right now, and actually 3, as I work two different jobs at my church, that pay extremely differently. They are keeping me afloat (barely) for now, so I have a bit of time to play with it. Plus I get cash assistance from the state. Granted, I want to get OFF that as soon as I possibly can, but I also have a tendency for depression, so I know that working a job that I feel badly about myself at will not be good, especially heading into the winter. I tend to get seasonal affective disorder, so winters can be very hard for me.

I definitely hear what you are saying though. I am really feeling torn about not wanting to accept it. The manager isn't making a "final" decision until tomorrow anyway though, so there is a chance I won't even be offered the position. It sounded like he wanted me, but you never know. I am going to ask him if he would hire me for $10 an hour as a last ditch effort if he calls. If he does, I will take it, but if he doesn't, I won't.

#198 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugareemoma View Post
In my state they only will give childcare assistance to students if they are ALSO working at least 20 hours a week. There also is a copay that is income-based. Lots of colleges have childcare for really reduced prices though.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#199 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 12:17 AM

when my sister was finishing college, she got a grant thru her university to pay childcare directly. you should check with your financial aid office directly./
#200 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 AM

PP, I totally get where you're coming from about not being paid what you're worth, etc....but at the same time, I am left feeling uneasy about your decision to not take the job (y'know, putting myself in your shoes, mentally).....and THAT tells me that maybe I'm really jaded and that poverty has broken me down more than I'd like to admit : FWIW, I totally hope that you can find a great job, and I will try to be more trusting in the universe...for you, me, and all of us!

My mother: She's crazy, but really wonderful too. I went to visit her today, and she told me that I looked like a homeless person, because I have outgrown every pair of maternity pants I own, and I am currently squeezed into a pair of stretchy yoga pants folded waay down, and a non-maternity tank top that happens to reveal my bra straps and a sliver of bulging belly to the world : Top that outfit off with my one pair of filthy, peeling-apart pink flipflops, and I guess I do look pretty lousy So she wrote me a $200 check and told me, half-jokingly, that she didn't want to see me again until I had a new pair of shoes and maternity pants that cover my belly! I do love my mom, heh.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#201 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 AM

It was late when I finished reading ALL of the responses in this thread...and I just want to say I feel so much better that I'm not alone. I feel like such a freak living paycheck to paycheck.

I have a Master's and I make $35,000. I just received my Masters in May...so I won't beat myself up too much...but I'm afraid to even look for a job in this economy. I applied to well over 100+ jobs last year after my WLS, and only one place called me back...the place I'm currently working at. So I took the job immediately.

I have so much student loan debt, my mortgage, association fees (which I always fall months behind on), utilities, etc. I've cut my cable down to the bare minimum that I can, I've cut all extra services from my cell phone and even got them to take me from the $39.99 plan to $19.99. I've been shopping at Dollar Tree for my necessities now (sometimes food since I have a limited diet due to WLS) and I pay my tithes...I also owe the IRS since our lovely tax preparer is wanted by the FBI. She jacked up all of her clients and they owe for 2-3 years. My other bills are medical which right now I'm not paying and I know it's hurting my credit, but there is nothing I can do about that. I will pay them when I can.

But I want to get things under control before I start ttc in the beginning of the year. I know I can make it on my salary, but without savings I'm screwed. You would think getting an advance degree would help you...but I guess my degree in Religion/Church Ministries from a Seminary/Religious university is only good for teaching, pastoring, and being a chaplain (which I'm seriously thinking about doing).

This thread gave me such encouragement that I just wanted to jump in and thank you all for being so strong....and making me realize that I am not alone and that no matter how little or how much I make, I will always struggle in the future...but with careful planning I can make my dream come true to be a mother.
#202 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post

My mother: She's crazy, but really wonderful too. I went to visit her today, and she told me that I looked like a homeless person, because I have outgrown every pair of maternity pants I own, and I am currently squeezed into a pair of stretchy yoga pants folded waay down, and a non-maternity tank top that happens to reveal my bra straps and a sliver of bulging belly to the world : Top that outfit off with my one pair of filthy, peeling-apart pink flipflops, and I guess I do look pretty lousy So she wrote me a $200 check and told me, half-jokingly, that she didn't want to see me again until I had a new pair of shoes and maternity pants that cover my belly! I do love my mom, heh.
What size are you? I have a ton of maternity clothes I am going to start selling.. really nice stuff too (Xmas money and gift cards got me lots). Mine are S/Med (some large).

#203 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Pumpkin Pie -

You just hang in there. I'm sure the universe will send something better your way. I understand about wanting to be appreciated for the work you're capable of.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#204 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm sorry, Pumpkin Pie, I guess facetiousness doesn't come across well in writing.

FTR, I think it is a totally reasonable, fair expectation to be able to find employment that supports two people at a reasonable level.

#205 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Hi everyone!
I had a very eventful afternoon. I had to work today from 8a-4p (I don't usually work on Sundays) and when I got home...
I popped my passenger front tire! :roll
Lucky for me, the dad of DD2's friend is a mechanic so he helped me change it, except...
my spare was flat!
He put the spare on for me anyway and pumped it up a little so I could go to the gas station and fill it completely up.
What an eventful afternoon (help)

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#206 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM

*sigh* I didn't even get a call from the $8.50 an hour bagel place today. He said he was going to be calling today to make job offers, and no call. Not that I was going to take it for that little, but I was going to at least ask if he would consider a higher offer.

I am applying for a job right now online for Americorp. It is in the next town over, but is full time, which I don't really want, but with Americorp wages, they don't count toward Section 8 housing, Reach Up cash assistance or Food Stamps, so I would still be getting the help I am getting now, plus about $8.25 an hour, so it would work out to more like $13-$15 (haven't exactly done the math yet). That would be pretty fabulous. Also, the job is with a social service agency here, so it would look great on my resume. I am not holding my breath that I will get it, but I am having a woman who worked for Americorp write me a reference letter, plus a good friend who has fabulous writing skills. Hopefully they will help me snag it! I would be stretched pretty thin with going to school at the same time, but I would definitely find a way to make it work.

Off to pound the pavement again tomorrow.

#207 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 AM

Sorry everyone that I haven't been around this thread much offering support. I try to avoid too much talk about money these days since it's my major stressor.

So dh and I had a talk tonight. We think it's finally time. Something we never wanted to have to do or imagined doing. Something my pride is having a hard time with... but, I realize pride is nothing to base ones life decisions on.

Tomorrow we'll be contacting a lawyer to make an appointment to discuss our options with filing for bankruptsy. We'd spoken to a lawyer about it 7 or 8 months ago but, wanted to try to see things through a bit longer and hold out for a chance at better pay or a new job opportunity.

We've managed to pull money out of our backsides for quite some time now and I think our options have finally run out. If we do end up filing, which it looks like we will, we'll file the option that allows us to continue paying our mortgage and dhs car payment so we can keep those. My car is paid off and not worth enough that a creditor will want it to recover unpaid balances. So, really, the only things we'd NEED good credit for is a home or relaible car. Dh and I both have reliable cars and our mortgage is at a very good rate and our home is plenty big enough and well built. So, technically there isn't anything we should need credit for, for awhile. If we had a large enough medical emergency that we would need to use credit... we'd have bigger problems than having a bad credit score.

well, I guess this is one way to force one's self to go to a cash only basis right?

deep breath

I never in a million years thought I would be in this position at age 25.

in other news. dh is leaving his current work location for a perhaps better opportunity in one of the company's other locations. The drive is longer but hopefully that will be offset by better work environment and chance for higher pay. Still %100 commission though. Always scary. Dh is going on an interview for another job tomorrow morning. Not expecting it to pay what we need but, maybe something good will come out of it. Assuming dh is staying at his current employer, he'll be moving to the other location on wednesday. He is taking a weekend this week. He'll be working 12 days straight.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#208 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 AM

FondestBianca. Hope everything works out for you.
I owe, I owe it's off to work I go (again )

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#209 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Msdizzydelores,

You are in the perfect position to take a chaplain job at a place I love very much. Search Kodaikanal International School, in Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu, India. This is a hillstation in a very unique place in India. If they hire you, they pay for your airline tickets (and moving) to India, help you do your taxes for the US (and India), many many other extras, besides the fact that you will be living in one of the most awesome places in India, working with hard working students who live there, and devoted teachers and staff. Most people love Kodai (Kodee) who work and live there.

I visited there for 1 month immediately after I adopted my son from India back in 1997, stayed with friends, and just fell in love with the locale.

If you have love of travel, this would be perfect. They fly you home ever 2 years, then fly you back (if you have signed a contract with them). I know a few people who stayed there 20 years or more, then retired back home in America (and then worked for a church).

I'm not a Christian, but if I were, I'd want to work at this school.
Let's see if I can find the website...http://www.kis.in/
Anytime it shows they don't have a job you are looking for, apply anyway. That's what I heard.

This is just an FYI. : )

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#210 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Fondest Bianca

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. It does sound like BK is probably the best option for you.

Jynotsa, that sounds awesome. Makes me wanna be a chaplain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page