September ~~Low Income Thread~~ - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
Can anyone tell me what I should expect if SSI gets approved for my son? Will FS go down, and if so, how much?
I receive SSI and FS - I'm not sure how much it will go down in your case, but they count SSI as income and will adjust the FS amount accordingly.

autismribbon.gif

#242 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
LizzyQ, why don't you send a small (2 cup) rice cooker with your hubby on trips, and some can's of soup? He could by rice where he is staying and make a nearly nutritious meal in his hotel room? I have a good friend who used to travel 3 weeks out of 4, and he would stop at Walmart ( I know!) to get salads, sandwhiches ect. I guess it would be the mega-style Walmart he shopped at. He eats meat, and one time bought a turkey leg and salad, and ate very well. All of his meals are $4 to $5 each. Also, if he travels, should he get a stipend for that?
Well.. his job doesn't pay for him to travel out of town for work.. the job is actually in Idaho (we are in UT), 2 hrs north of here. He's been working up there 4 days a week, and coming home on the weekends. Also, he is camping in the back of his truck (which he doesn't mind, but has no electricity. He could, perhaps use his office's electrical plug, but there are only 2 weeks left on his contract, so it might be too late to buy a little rice cooker.

I have been making double dinner and sending him with the leftovers. And he has been getting canned soup, plus discount bread, and homemade hummus.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#243 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
For that much income, they would surely be eligible for medicaid, which would mean that the country would be providing health care. Also, why would they barter for food? Surely they qualify for the maximum amount of food stamps with three people living on such a small income.
I'm not sure. I know she feels strongly about bartering, community living, csa's and raw milk; and she doesn't really purchase may food items at conventional food stores. her grains come from an organic purchase program in bulk, her milk from a local herd share program and produce from a csa. All of this was bartered for with services and work share programs.

Her 'sep' (instead of 'ex') and she are very congenial at this point and he is happy to cover healthcare... that is at least my understanding.

good witch
#244 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM

AverysMomma There was something on the news last night about haw banks (Bank of America) was overcharging in overdraft fees and had this huge thing about how it was extreme and rediculous and they ended up having to take off alot of people's fees because they got so high so quickly. I don't remember which news, maybe dateline or something like that, but I would look into it to see how they might be able to do that for you.

Well, I had a crappy morning yesterday. I had dropped of my son at school and was on my way to take my lo to preschool and I rear ended someone . The worst part is that my FIL was letting me use his car until mine gets shipped back and well I felt HORRIBLE all the way around. I hate letting people down so much. I ended up in tears. It was about 4000 in damage between the cars and I told him I would pay the deductible (even though I have no idea where I am going to get that money). I found out that the lady I rear ended was my older son's PRINCIPAL! OMG! I am just mortified. I am going to send a card with my sincerest apologies.

Then, in a panic mode of how the heck am I going to come up with this money I remembered that my son's school needed help in the cafeteria so I went and applied there, which pays barely over min wage. But it will save on gas and I think if I get 20 hrs. a week I could be eligible for childcare assistance. The lady sent me right to human resources and it looks like it should come through for me so my fingers are crossed.

A good thing that happened is I found out that FS are in the mail and I should be recieving them soon. But I am being charged with fraud! for applying before we flew back home? That is a whole other story.

So I have alot on my plate and really am wishing I had my X to help talk me through it. He is good at those things.

I am happy for those of you who are getting such good news! :

~Allyson~
Mama to and
#245 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllysonB View Post
Well, I had a crappy morning yesterday. I had dropped of my son at school and was on my way to take my lo to preschool and I rear ended someone . The worst part is that my FIL was letting me use his car until mine gets shipped back and well I felt HORRIBLE all the way around. I hate letting people down so much. I ended up in tears. It was about 4000 in damage between the cars and I told him I would pay the deductible (even though I have no idea where I am going to get that money). I found out that the lady I rear ended was my older son's PRINCIPAL! OMG! I am just mortified. I am going to send a card with my sincerest apologies.

Then, in a panic mode of how the heck am I going to come up with this money I remembered that my son's school needed help in the cafeteria so I went and applied there, which pays barely over min wage. But it will save on gas and I think if I get 20 hrs. a week I could be eligible for childcare assistance. The lady sent me right to human resources and it looks like it should come through for me so my fingers are crossed.

A good thing that happened is I found out that FS are in the mail and I should be recieving them soon. But I am being charged with fraud! for applying before we flew back home? That is a whole other story.

So I have alot on my plate and really am wishing I had my X to help talk me through it. He is good at those things.
Fraud? wtf? I would be scared witless! You certainly do have a lot on your plate right now! here...

good witch
#246 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
DH is being charged by unemployment about $400 for an overpayment that was THEIR FAULT! I know how you feel

#247 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
AVery's Mama,

If you are incurring $300 in bank fees, I would take your banking into a savings account where you cannot over draw. Also, you may consider doing a bag account, where you keep all of your money in bags, with each bag having the bills name on it that you need to pay. This will work if you are literally living month to month, with no extra money. This will force you not to take chances over withdrawing when it is too close to the number.

If you do use a savings, then make sure you leave $20 in there for emergency gas or whatever, something you never ever spend unless you are in a tight spot.

When I first got divorced, I didn't have enough money to cover all my expenses, and incurred $150 in overdraft's, and moved to the savings account to avoid that. I would hate to be giving the bank free money, when you or your hubby worked for it. You know! You can do this temporarily, until you can start to control your money better, then try the checking again.

Good luck!
We have went to cash now (husband had check taken off direct deposit so he will receive a paper check). We have to have a bank account because our house payment comes directly out of our account on the 2nd week of each month. At this point we just make sure the money is there and thats all we will be using the account for.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#248 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
AverysMomma There was something on the news last night about haw banks (Bank of America) was overcharging in overdraft fees and had this huge thing about how it was extreme and rediculous and they ended up having to take off alot of people's fees because they got so high so quickly. I don't remember which news, maybe dateline or something like that, but I would look into it to see how they might be able to do that for you.

I am happy for those of you who are getting such good news! :
I will check into the account overdraft thing. Thank you so much for telling me.

Fraud? I would be scared crapless!! I hope it gets better!

Hopefully you will get the job too!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#249 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 02:44 PM

We got another 36.00 fee at the bank. Apparantly our bank charges a 36.00 non sufficient funds fee then 36.00 for them paying it. Whatever. Enough about the bank they will get there money when I get there money.BTW if it isn't paid within 7 days I will get another 36.00 fee.

Hubby got his check taken off direct deposit today so we will get a paper check which is good! I have to come up with 100.00 for my daughter because she is going on vacation with my parents Sept 23rd until Oct 3rd to visit my brother in MA. A whole 800 miles away I am going to miss my baby but it will be a nice break since she is so high strung and always into something lately.Tonight is church and my sister and I are exchanging babysitting duties so me and hubby are going to church alone tonight! YAY!

Question: Does anyone in here order or make modest bathing suits? The ones that are like dresses down to knees with capri like things underneath?

#250 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post

Question: Does anyone in here order or make modest bathing suits? The ones that are like dresses down to knees with capri like things underneath?
I see a lot of women in my area who wear a rash-guard swim shirt with boy-like swim shorts. I think Target sells boy shorts for women.

#251 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Hi mamas! I used to post in here a long time ago but then went without the internet for 18 months but now we are back on line. I didn't read all the pages up til this page, but I will keep up from here.

A little about me:
1 dh, 3 dds, 1 ds. 1 dog, many cats. I deliver papers, and dh sells cars. This is his third job in a year lets hope it sticks. We live in the eastern US and the decision of the week is ......gas or groceries? Sigh. Gas always wins, because I have a rainy day food stash but it scares me to use it.

Nothing real exciting here. Im generally exhausted and half brain dead.

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#252 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I got mine at kmart, it has loose shorts and a tank top with wide straps at the shoulders. It looks like clothing.

#253 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearaina View Post
I got mine at kmart, it has loose shorts and a tank top with wide straps at the shoulders. It looks like clothing.
This is where I run into problems. We don't wear tank tops or anything without sleeves and we only wear skirts past knees. I am going to keep the capri's under these bathing suits if we decide to get them but we don't wear shorts or pants. I will add link in a sec let me find it to the suits we are looking at getting me and our 2 daughters.

#254 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Hi mamas! I used to post in here a long time ago but then went without the internet for 18 months but now we are back on line. I didn't read all the pages up til this page, but I will keep up from here.

A little about me:
1 dh, 3 dds, 1 ds. 1 dog, many cats. I deliver papers, and dh sells cars. This is his third job in a year lets hope it sticks. We live in the eastern US and the decision of the week is ......gas or groceries? Sigh. Gas always wins, because I have a rainy day food stash but it scares me to use it.

Welcome!! This week my decision was 5.00 in gas or tampons. Yeah tampons won because I can't stand anything else but somehow we came up with the money for gas.Thank goodness.

#255 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I see a lot of women in my area who wear a rash-guard swim shirt with boy-like swim shorts. I think Target sells boy shorts for women.
I would do this and this is what we have done before but we only wear skirts past the knees now. No shorts,or pants but I would keep the capri's under these dress bathing suits for more privacy.

#256 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 03:43 PM

www.meanttobemodest.com is the link to the bathing suits we are looking at that don't look as frumpy as the others.

I am asking because we are going on 2 beach vacations in the coming up year and I need to start saving to get bathing suits for me and the 2 girls.

#257 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:

A little about me:

just wanted to jump in share some understanding. my dh has been selling cars for the last 1.5 years now. He just recently (as in a few days ago) got another job offer. Still in the auto industry but, in a more reliable part of it. If you ever want to vent the stresses of being married to a car salesmen I hear for you! I absolutly understand how difficult that can be! There is defiantly money to be made but it takes a certain kind of person and working for an honest employer/lot. I hope it is a job venture that fairs well for you both. Some people do make a good living in that line of work. There is always opportunity there.

I also relate to your "many cats". I only have 3 but, if it were up to me I would have "many".

and welcome to the thread.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#258 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well yesterday was my happy day, today sucks. I've had all kinds of unexpected expenses come up and dang if I'm about to be in the hole. Assuming I can sell a few things on ebay I will still be in the hole about $100 next month even after shifting every expense I could to the next month when they would be taken care of by the next Pell disbursement. The things left are things I can't put off like rent and gas for school. I was just going to return my netbook I got at walmart but I realized this thing really is a need instead of a want because of the way our schedule works I need to be able to work on school work when were not at home (ie at the hospital) so right now I'm not sure where that money is going to come from. I heard one of the church's in town gives $40 gas vouchers so I will look into that since thats one of my major expenses. I hate stressing over money

Seriously?
#259 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
www.meanttobemodest.com is the link to the bathing suits we are looking at that don't look as frumpy as the others.

I am asking because we are going on 2 beach vacations in the coming up year and I need to start saving to get bathing suits for me and the 2 girls.
Just out of curiosity.. what is your religion that requires you to wear skirts past the knee and no shorts/pants? (respectively) Here in Utah there is a modesty rule among the LDS women, but they are still allowed to wear bathing suits (one pieces only).

#260 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 06:13 PM

: I really dislike my new job.... Seriously, it is just NOT what I want to do AT ALL. I am going to go back, but am definitely going to be applying like a mad woman for anything else that I can.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#261 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
: I really dislike my new job.... Seriously, it is just NOT what I want to do AT ALL. I am going to go back, but am definitely going to be applying like a mad woman for anything else that I can.
*hugs* I hope you find something better soon!

Seriously?
#262 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Hey those are pretty neat. I refuse to wear regular bathing suits and have a big struggle just to find what I do wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
just wanted to jump in share some understanding. my dh has been selling cars for the last 1.5 years now. He just recently (as in a few days ago) got another job offer. Still in the auto industry but, in a more reliable part of it. If you ever want to vent the stresses of being married to a car salesmen I hear for you! I absolutly understand how difficult that can be! There is defiantly money to be made but it takes a certain kind of person and working for an honest employer/lot. I hope it is a job venture that fairs well for you both. Some people do make a good living in that line of work. There is always opportunity there.

I also relate to your "many cats". I only have 3 but, if it were up to me I would have "many".

and welcome to the thread.
I am still getting used to it. Dh is great at sales and the lot seems cool, they really frown on stealing customers. Although today when I talked to dh he had to go cuz they were playing Jeopardy . Hard at work, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Well yesterday was my happy day, today sucks. I've had all kinds of unexpected expenses come up and dang if I'm about to be in the hole. Assuming I can sell a few things on ebay I will still be in the hole about $100 next month even after shifting every expense I could to the next month when they would be taken care of by the next Pell disbursement. The things left are things I can't put off like rent and gas for school. I was just going to return my netbook I got at walmart but I realized this thing really is a need instead of a want because of the way our schedule works I need to be able to work on school work when were not at home (ie at the hospital) so right now I'm not sure where that money is going to come from. I heard one of the church's in town gives $40 gas vouchers so I will look into that since thats one of my major expenses. I hate stressing over money
Yes, it stinks. I wish I could just be all calm and peaceful about it, but I worry. I was listening to a sermon about coveting and I was thinking how I wish I could just pay all my bills on time, forget about keeping up with the Jones'. Hope tomorrow's better for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
This is probably on another page, but what do you do? What's the job situation like where you're from?

#263 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
This is probably on another page, but what do you do? What's the job situation like where you're from?
I am working at a bagel/sandwich shop. I am just not cut out for food service. The remembering what a person ordered for thirty seconds, getting the order together, taking another order, remembering it for thirty seconds, getting that together, etc, etc, etc just stresses the living, flipping daylights out of me. I can already feel a cold sore coming on (stress induced), I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about going back, and I am NOT being a good mama to my son tonight.

Also, they don't give breaks there unless you work at least 8 hours. At all. I will likely never work for longer than 6 hours, and that means I will NEVER get a break. Today, I worked from 8am-2pm, and not even 15 minutes to wolf down a bagel.

I just want to cry..... Honestly, I think I am going to go in and talk to the manager tomorrow and tell him that I don't think it is a good match at all and I am willing to work for another couple of weeks if he desperately needs me while he finds a better suited employee, and I look for something else, but really, it is just not what I am cut out to do.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#264 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM

s Pumpkin Pie Hopefully things will work out. It really sounds like finding something else would be best.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#265 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Just out of curiosity.. what is your religion that requires you to wear skirts past the knee and no shorts/pants? (respectively) Here in Utah there is a modesty rule among the LDS women, but they are still allowed to wear bathing suits (one pieces only).
We are pentecostal! it's ok to ask a ton of people do lol

Forgot to say we are not like die hard pentecostal but we do wear skirts past our knees,dress very modest,hair long or in buns. (think The Duggars) our beliefs are very similar. I still have a sometimes potty mouth I am trying to break.

#266 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Pumpkie Pie I am sorry about the job.I worked at subway and honestly I just couldn't do it. It sucked.

#267 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM

Hey some good news for me today! (its been a horrible day ) I have been freaking out trying to figure out where I was going to come up with that $100 and totally missed the fact that on the spread sheet my gas expense for next month included my needing to go pick up dd from daycare (100 extra miles a day, long story but we worked it out so her nurse could bring her back) so once I recalculated it for the correct mileage it will be close but I will stay out of the red!

Seriously?
#268 of 397 Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 PM

Averysmomma...we are pentecostal, too. I was raised not wearing pants (ie: really strict) but we do now. We're still modest, though.

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009
#269 of 397 Old 09-17-2009, 12:00 AM

Hi everyone. I belong here as a poster no longer a lurker. We too have been hit hard by overdrafts and our bank is one of those that clears the highest amount first so all the little ones bounce so they can charge overdrafts. I hate banks. My dh chopped up our debit cards today. We pay our bills online so we can frequently check status. It was our debit cards, I mean dumbit cards, that was killing us. We must get back on track. We have three yrs til oldest goes to college. Can't even imagine being able to help him at all at this rate. I work parttime, dh full time. I am able to make decent money as I am a nurse and take lots of call time, going back full time wouldn't make that much difference in pay. However, we have been irresponsible with our money. That stops right now. When we have to decide what we can and can't pay of our bills its time to take control. Everyone here seems so honest and wise that I feel I can learn so much from you ladies. Yes we are struggling. Severly struggling. I need to be here and I need your help ladies.
#270 of 397 Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 AM

Hugs Mommaof3boz, and welcome. These ladies are great here!

About the last post I mentioned that DCF was charging me with FS fraud. Yeah, I am terrified too, and angry because I don't like being accused of something that is NOT true. I don't want to go into too much detail, but I will post the outcome and give more details then. Just please send good vibes my ways.

PumpkinPie, I hope that something else comes your way, or works out for you.

~Allyson~
Mama to and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page