September ~~Low Income Thread~~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

It's September tomarrow, and we are moving into fall this month. That means we will be using our A/C less (depending on where you live) and the cooler days will be upon us by the end of the month.

I'm joining you ladies this month. Honestly, I always hope it will get better. I have hope against hope in my heart. I try my hardest, and yet things aren't looking better. I had a postpartum client who backed out because her MIL wanted to take care of the baby. Honestly, I was counting on that money to catch up with some bills and buy a pair of shoes.

The newest pair of shoes I have is a 3 year old pair of fake crocs, and they are horrible looking. They don't feel good either. My birkenstocks are completely worn out. They are 10 years old, and I've worn them into the ground. I went to price a new pair of birks the other day and they were $109 with a $10 discount. I'm nearly ready to ask the owner of the store to sell me the pair FOR $10. I have too much pride to do that, but really, how will I ever afford that? And I have wide feet, with some feet problems in the past. I stand for HOURS. I really do need a good pair of shoes for my feet. I feel frustrated.

I stood to make some serious money with my postpartum client, and I am still so bummed about that. I did apply for fs and got it and now I am due for a renewal in September (which means this is for October).

Many of you have it much worse, with more children ect, so I won't complain to much except to say, where will my clients come from? I need new clients and I need them now, to pay bills and buy my children's homeschool books.

Hope things are going better for everyone else!

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 05:50 PM

Hey, i will let the others know to migrate over here! Welcome!:

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#3 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Hey, i will let the others know to migrate over here! Welcome!:
Thanks you, natural_mama. My migration is complete.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#4 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 06:52 PM

subbing

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#5 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 PM

I'm subbing too.

I have some good news. My mom offered to give, yes give me the 600 to get at least one root canal done this month. SO I am so grateful for that. They are sending me the money next Monday. How sweet is that? That way I can at least get one of the two root canals done.
#6 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsSahm View Post
I'm subbing too.

I have some good news. My mom offered to give, yes give me the 600 to get at least one root canal done this month. SO I am so grateful for that. They are sending me the money next Monday. How sweet is that? That way I can at least get one of the two root canals done.
Awesome!!! :

#7 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsSahm View Post
I'm subbing too.

That is very cool indeed, of your mother, to help you out!:

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#8 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 PM

hi! Low incomers!

We are close to NO income. Dh delivers pizza 2x a week. : I dont know how we do it. We have help from our parents at the moment while he is in school. Thats how.

I am thinking about Halloween, and Christmas already since we do not have a penny to spare.

I want to organize a costume swap. Have no idea how But will Be fun if I can figure it out! LOL.

And also cheap thins for xmas. Lots of Baking since I have tons of foodstamps.
#9 of 397 Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 PM

I am sorry I haven't posted on this thread yet, but am so happy that it has been so active! I just applied for my heating assistance and will send it in to the state tomorrow, but I went online to check to see when the deadline is for assistance, and in Vermont, I was supposed to have it in their hands by today. : crap, crap, crap, crap, crap....... It does say that I *should* receive 100% of assistance available to me, but it won't go to my fuel supplier until January 15, 2010. I am so hoping that I get a better job between now and then so I can keep my heat on. :

On a brighter note, I have an interview on Thursday!!! It is only a 4 hour a week advertised childcare position, but it is with a great non-profit organization, and when I spoke with the woman who will be interviewing me on the phone, she said that if she finds the right person, it will lead to more hours doing administrative assistant work as well. I am crossing my fingers, toes, and anything else that I can that I get this position.

I am so sorry to hear that so many of you mamas are having dental issues. I was having some problems earlier this year, but a local dentist does a free dental clinic once a year on Valentine's day, and I had three fillings, a cleaning, x-rays, and a crown done on that day. I am hoping I can hold out until next Valentine's day for my next visit, although I did have a dental emergency about a month ago. My dentist accepts Medicaid, and did the work for me then. I have now maxed out my (very small) benefits for Medicaid for the year though, so I am hoping everything holds out until next February.

Transformed, a costume swap is an AWESOME idea!!!! Holy smokes, I need to organize something like that around here. I have been trying so hard to come up with a cheap idea for DS for a costume that is still cute. I am thinking I am going to make him into a scarecrow at the moment. I need to find a pair of cute overalls, and a plaid shirt, but I think I can find those at the Salvation Army for super cheap if I stalk the clothing racks there. I also have been having pretty good luck in free piles at local play groups. I figure if I buy a roll of raffia for a couple of dollars and try to find a straw hat, he will be all set. I have some face paint already, and can sew patches onto his overalls, so he should be pretty cute for under $5. I also made his treat bag from a toddler sized Halloween t-shirt that I found for free. It was a girl's shirt in style, but the design was just a pumpkin and says "Happy Halloween" on it. I sewed the bottom closed, cut off the arms, and made the neck into a round cut, and it is a super cute treat bag for free!

I think we should be all set on Christmas gifts this year, thankfully. I have been stalking garage sales and thrift stores and I have a bunch of really fun things for DS stashed away already. I also found a huge pile of really great books yesterday on the side of the road, so he is pretty much finished. Thankfully I don't have to buy for anyone else really. I am making a few things for friend's toddlers, but that is it. The one thing that I do want to make room for in my budget is a new pair of pajamas for me. I have started a tradition with DS that we both get a new pair of PJ's on Christmas Eve. I already have his (Hanna Andersson Christmas stripey PJ's in like new condition found used at the Salvation Army for a buck!!!!!), but I need to find a pair for me too. I also need a few more stocking stuffers for me too. I don't receive any gifts from anyone (no family in the area, and I don't exchange gifts with friends), and I just feel so depressed without a stocking on Christmas morning, that I started stuffing one for myself on DS's first Christmas.

Jyotsna, I have had REALLY good luck on E-Bay buying birks for super insane-o cheap. If you know your size, the footbed in birks is exactly the same, no matter what the style, so you can pretty easily know for sure that it will fit. I have bought some really great ones for like $20. Definitely, definitely check it out. Now that I know what size I wear in birks, I will never buy them new in a store again.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#10 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

The halloween costume swap is a great idea. I have kept all of the kids halloween costumes since the beginning of time, and I open up the box each year and basically let the kids choose their own components, and make their own idea, even if I don't like it. It makes a hugh difference in the cost of Halloween. Each year I spend a few dollars at the fabric store or dollar store, and they have their costumes.

#11 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Pumpkin Pie---

I looked over the birks on ebay today, and including shipping, everything was close to 100 dollars except for the 90 cents birks, which I doubt will sell for 90 cents. I wear a shocking 41. I sometimes can wear a 40, depending on the style.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for the fyi.

#12 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 02:13 AM

hey all--just a quick idea-spam as i'm supposed to be hangin out with my hubby

1. a costume swap is an AWESOME idea! maybe we could do one for this thread??

2. MichaelsSahm YAY for getting the $$ to fix your tooth--at least one of them. it's just horrid to have to physically suffer pain for lack of $$

3. shoes--i feel your pain Jyotsna. I have an almost 4-yr old pair of hideous pink Earth flipflops that i even have to wear to work : i NEED good shoes--but there is no way i'm able to shell out $100 or even $60 (eBay price) for new Earth shoes. If i get that amount, it probably has to be spent on groceries! I hope you get some good clients coming your way soon, too...

4. : for your interview Pumpkin Pie!! :

5. speaking of dental issues, my 10yo has cavities, we just discovered at least he has dental insurance thru his dad!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#13 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
hi! Low incomers!

We are close to NO income. Dh delivers pizza 2x a week. : I dont know how we do it. We have help from our parents at the moment while he is in school. Thats how.

I am thinking about Halloween, and Christmas already since we do not have a penny to spare.

I want to organize a costume swap. Have no idea how But will Be fun if I can figure it out! LOL.

And also cheap thins for xmas. Lots of Baking since I have tons of foodstamps.
I've been selling newborn dipes on ebay for upcoming xmas money.

I think a costume swap is a great idea too.. is the swap forum on here still open?

Last year we did food baskets with our food stamps.. we were getting way more than enough at the time ($400).. I like the pancake basket we did the best: gourmet pancake mix, maple syrup, and hot cocoa or coffee (the mini packages). We also did a Thai theme, and a sushi theme.

#14 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
2. MichaelsSahm YAY for getting the $$ to fix your tooth--at least one of them. it's just horrid to have to physically suffer pain for lack of $$
Thank you sweetie. Thankfully I am not in pain though, but I want it done before it does become painful. I do have a cavity in my molar that is sometimes sensitive, but not painful. I need at least one more root canal after the first and then have the molar pulled. Then I hope to be done for a while, but with my luck in teeth ahahha!
#15 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 06:42 AM

Happy September, everyone
Well, everyone survived the first day of school (whew)
Lets see how today goes (crossfingers)
This month my first payday and my FS come on the same day :
So, I can go grocery shopping and "essential" shopping (Tp etc) at the same time! (shocking!)
Hope everyone has a good day

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#16 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm glad you can get that dental work done! My Dh needs to get some done too.
We go in for our food stamps appointment on Thursday. We really need to get approved!
I made a bunch of jam yesterday, all free from a generous person on freecycle. Great feeling!
Take care everyone!!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#17 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 AM

Just a head's up that you can currently get buy one get one free sale crocs on their website w/ free shipping. www.crocs.com

Also here's a coupon code that will give you an additional 25% off:
slx8797

Last week I got two pair of crocs for dd in upcoming sizes for $11+change shipped!

I am sure the selection is picked over at this point, but it's worth looking into.

Simple shoes is also having a ridiculous sale with free shipping.

I have small wide feet, and simples have always worked for me. www.simpleshoes.com
HTH

Grace Comes.

#18 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 12:29 PM

I have my dreaded doctors appointment in a couple hours. Paying for this one out of pocket. I'm nervous... I don't want to go... but, I know I need to.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#19 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 PM

Hope everything at you appointment goes well Tracy. As far as the costme swap goes, I have a 6 months size bumblebee costume, and and I think 3t leopard costume.

#20 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 02:46 PM

I'm going to join in. Going into debt for school did me in. It's not too bad, under $10,000.

I had a severe health crash a few years ago and am finally coming out of that this year. Friday may be my last doctor's appointment, unless something acute comes up over flu season... I only saw natural doctors which of course couldn't use insurance on so that drained my savings. It was well worth it though considering I actually healed from chronic illness.

My family likes to beat me up on that - why I didn't use an md and why I "wasted" all my savings like that

I'm going to cancel my internet this week and bike to the library 2-3x a week to check email and such. That'll save me about $50 a month. I don't know whether or not there's a cancellation fee.

I think that leaves my cell phone as my only luxury. That is also about $50 a month, but I think it's too useful to let go.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#21 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm taking my son to the doctor today, a requirement by the SSI folks, who will determine if he qualifies for SSI. I hate going through this process, but you know what? He needs alot of help with therapy and much more, and it will make a big difference with me paying for his therapies from the money. Also, he has medicine, and it will help with this too. Having a child become special needs as they move into their teen years is quite a challenge.

Wish us luck.

#22 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 PM

ooooooh! can we do a swap on here?
#23 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM
New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
The newest pair of shoes I have is a 3 year old pair of fake crocs, and they are horrible looking. They don't feel good either. My birkenstocks are completely worn out. They are 10 years old, and I've worn them into the ground. I went to price a new pair of birks the other day and they were $109 with a $10 discount. I'm nearly ready to ask the owner of the store to sell me the pair FOR $10. I have too much pride to do that, but really, how will I ever afford that? And I have wide feet, with some feet problems in the past. I stand for HOURS. I really do need a good pair of shoes for my feet. I feel frustrated.
Costco was selling Crocs (adult & kid sizes) for $15. If you don't have a membership, maybe tag along with a friend?
#24 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Joining in! We get WIC, HEAP, EITC, and health insurance through the state. We're in a bit of a strange spot that we make *just* enough to qualify. Which means if DH wants to get a job making more it has be A LOT more. Like enough to make up $500-$800/mo of additional expenses. And that would be to just break even.

Also just found out that DD1 needs like 8 fillings. : The child eats mostly whole foods & we brush regularly. We've even recently started using flouride rinse at bedtime. Grrrr. Anyway, it would run us like $1000 to get that many fillings done at our dentist (who doesn't take medicaid), so I need to look into any local dentists that do take medicaid & take her there for at least the fillings. Unfortunatly, I think the closest one is like 3 hours away! Again...grrrr....

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know everyone here. I read through the August thread, but didn't find it until last, so held off posting until the Sept thread started.
#25 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
Joining in! We get WIC, HEAP, EITC, and health insurance through the state. We're in a bit of a strange spot that we make *just* enough to qualify. Which means if DH wants to get a job making more it has be A LOT more. Like enough to make up $500-$800/mo of additional expenses. And that would be to just break even.

Also just found out that DD1 needs like 8 fillings. : The child eats mostly whole foods & we brush regularly. We've even recently started using flouride rinse at bedtime. Grrrr. Anyway, it would run us like $1000 to get that many fillings done at our dentist (who doesn't take medicaid), so I need to look into any local dentists that do take medicaid & take her there for at least the fillings. Unfortunatly, I think the closest one is like 3 hours away! Again...grrrr....

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know everyone here. I read through the August thread, but didn't find it until last, so held off posting until the Sept thread started.
Bad teeth I believe really don't always is because of nutrition. I know alot of people disagree. I had problems with my teeth since I was little. I ate healthy etc. I brushed etc.
#26 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM

so I need surgery. And at some point soon I might need another one as well.... and it's major. This is too much for me to think about right now.

I have an appointment for food assistance tomorrow. They told me it was in person and at 9am. I called to double check and they then told me it was over the phone BUT, since I thought it was in person I didn't send in any proof of income or bills ahead of time... so if want want assistance any time soon I have to drive down there at 9 (with both sleepy, cranky, kids of course). I'm not an early sort of person.... I wish people would communicate things to me and save everyone some trouble. Same thing happened today with my application for project access medical coverage. Now thats going to take 2-4 weeks to get in line... hopefully everything works out with it and I get approved so I can afford to have surgery.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#27 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
so I need surgery. And at some point soon I might need another one as well.... and it's major. This is too much for me to think about right now.

I have an appointment for food assistance tomorrow. They told me it was in person and at 9am. I called to double check and they then told me it was over the phone BUT, since I thought it was in person I didn't send in any proof of income or bills ahead of time... so if want want assistance any time soon I have to drive down there at 9 (with both sleepy, cranky, kids of course). I'm not an early sort of person.... I wish people would communicate things to me and save everyone some trouble. Same thing happened today with my application for project access medical coverage. Now thats going to take 2-4 weeks to get in line... hopefully everything works out with it and I get approved so I can afford to have surgery.
That sucks I always have issues with mine too.. it is all over the phone, not just one case worker who knows your case.

#28 of 397 Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
Pumpkin Pie---

I looked over the birks on ebay today, and including shipping, everything was close to 100 dollars except for the 90 cents birks, which I doubt will sell for 90 cents. I wear a shocking 41. I sometimes can wear a 40, depending on the style.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for the fyi.
What style are you looking for? Here is a pair of basic sandals for $29.99 with free shipping. A pair of clogs that is currently at $38 with 14 hours left and free shipping. A VERY cute pair of loafers for $49.75 with shipping of about $10. More expensive, but they are really nice shoes, and way less than you would spend in the store. If you are looking for super casual, these have the Birkenstock footbed, but are totally waterproof (plastic). I bet they would be a comfy alternative to flip-flops. $40 with shipping, but I am betting they would feel good on your feet.

Just FYT, Footprints and Tatami are both Birkenstock brand and both use the exact same footbed that Birkenstock does, so you can order them interchangeably. Hope this helps a bit!

ETA: I just found these and bought them in my size! I am a 42, and normally don't buy used shoes, but Birkenstocks have removable footbeds, so I am going to just put the footbeds from a pair that I already have into these and they will be good as new! The bottoms don't look like they are worn at all. They were $20.99 with free shipping! Wah Hoo! I have been dreading looking for shoes to wear to interviews, and these should be just perfect. I am so glad you asked about them here, I had forgotten all about looking on E-Bay for Birks. :

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#29 of 397 Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Birks:

Pumpkin Pie, thanks so much for posting these. I will definately consider the first two. A lovely person here on MDC (I think on our little thread) has offered to send a pair of Crocs to me, which she wore a couple of times. I've accepted the offer, and as soon as I have the extra money, will buy a pair of the Birk Clogs (like the ones you showed here).

My kids are sick, and one of my dd's has the flu (possibly H1N1) and we are just staying put. I went out with the kids tonight and bought tylenol, motrin, juices, hand soap and hand sanitizer. I really didn't have the money to buy all of that, but didn't want to be stuck in the house with 3 sick kids and no meds or drinks ect. I've already had H1N1, so I don't think I can get it again, can I?

My most recent 2 clients sent me checks in the mail (final payments) and so I was able to pay the utility bill today, fill the van 1/2 way up. What a great feeling. My ex told my father that he wasn't going to pay child support this month. I spoke to the child support case worker here and she had already spoken to my ex (he called her) and she told him that he HAS to pay, even though he is mad at me. At least there is someone with reason, that he is listening to. I'm so thankful to have them already working on my case (even though I have been waiting 4 years for them to start helping me)! But now they are preparing to go to court, and so I am providing them all the documentation that they need, and things should look better at some point.

#30 of 397 Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM

Hey everyone, glad to have found this tribe. I apologize in advance for this random rant, but this is really bugging me.
I have severe/chronic asthma and my only insurance is medicaid. We live in a rather rural area, so there's only 1 doc within 20 miles of me that will take new patients and his office is a zoo. 2 hour waits and the doc sees you for like 3 minutes. Ugh. Anywho, after several trials with different asthma meds I finally found a good combo that keeps it in check and have been taking these meds for a few years now. Monday, I go to the pharmacy pick them up and I'm told medicaid no longer covers them for adults! : No warning whatsoever. I call my DHS caseworker and she tells me I have to switch to other meds for them to be covered. So I call my doc several times and leave messages with the receptionist...nobody has called be back yet or called in new meds to the pharmacy. The next available appointment isn't until the the 11th and I'm completely out of my meds. Not sure what else to do.

autismribbon.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page