Whats wrong with Purex? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So while shopping the other day I noticed I could purchase a huge box of purex laundry soap for $2 and some change. Why is it so cheap? Does it work well?
#2 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 04:48 AM

NOTHING!! I use it on a regular basis, PUREX is frequently on sale, there are coupons that make it almost free... Purex has little to no advertising which IMO really jacks up the price of most things...Purex also comes in unscented which is great for my asthma kids
Usually Curious likes this.
#3 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 AM

Love Purex Free and Clear here! Cheap, works great, unscented, does a nice job on CD's. What more could you ask for???
sillysapling likes this.
#4 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 AM

I use it, I like it.
#5 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 AM

I buy Purex. I actually rotate between 3 laundry soaps and buy whichever is cheapest when I need it.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#6 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Errr do we know if it's enviro friendly? :

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#7 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 AM

http://www.purex.com/sustainability

I guess it is free of phosphates. I doubt they uses plant based surfactants.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#8 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmummy View Post
http://www.purex.com/sustainability

I guess it is free of phosphates. I doubt they uses plant based surfactants.
It mentions this:

Quote:
Purex® Natural Elements™ detergents include surfactants derived from renewable resources, such as palm and coconut. Additionally, the feedstock for all the surfactants used in Purex® Natural Elements™ is plant based. Only the final conversion into surfactants involves petro-chemically derived ingredients. Using renewable plant based surfactants reduces our dependency on oil.
So it's better than some, but not 100% awesome, I guess.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#9 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM

I use the Purex Natural stuff all the time. Does a great job and can be had for cheap, cheap, cheap.

I alternate between using Purex and homemade laundry soap. Sometimes I use a bit of both as well.
#10 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 11:54 AM

I don't think anything's "wrong" with Purex. Like others have said, it isn't as advertised as other brands so you aren't pay for that. There are occasionally coupons so if you can hit a sale with a coupon, it can be really cheap. I used to use it, but don't anymore. It just doesn't work well with our water.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#11 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Wow, I wish we had Purex natural. I use the big box as a component of homemade laundry soap- I use the Tide clone recipe, sub Purex for Sun (stopped carrying it here), add baking soda. Purex by itself irritated DS when I used it on diapers, but as part of the homemade, works great. Much better than Fels Naptha, even though that's the "greener" choice. Plus, the Purex homemade dissolves so much better in cold than the Fels Naptha in cold. IDK why, but that reduces the gas bill, which is in turn green, so I guess it's a wash (pun intended).

ITA that ads drive up the cost of stuff. I mean, look at how much money the Mad Men were making back in 1960, yk? Advertising is expensive.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#12 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Well mine wasn't cheap last night LOL cost me $6.50 for a bottle of the free and clear kind.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#13 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM

I can never find the Purex free and clear here! Only scented kinds. I would buy it if I could find it. I used it for a few months on our cloth diapers before the store stopped stocking it. I also used the free and clear Sun detergent on cloth diapers and then it disappeared from the store too!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#14 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Homemade laundry soap? Tide clone recipe? Wow! Do you have a link to share?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#15 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM

we use all the time because frankly its cheap and often has coupons which makes it a even better deal. We use the "free" version which is comparable to the ALL free/clear IMO. I saw no difference in the cleaning aspect of our clothes. I also use the fragranced variety for things like the dogs beds, curtains and such.
#16 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM

I love Purex but can never find coupons for it and even the family dollar/dollar general stores have jacked the price up over $5 for the smallest non-HE bottle

Most of the time I suck it up and deal, since it's either that or All Free & Clear which with the Purex price increase is the same price, just depends on which one is on ad when I need it.
#17 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM

We use it, works well enough for us. I found it on clearance at target last month so i picked up the last 2 containers.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#18 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 04:41 PM

Another Purex Free/Clear user here. I wait for sales (especially buy one get one @ Publix) and with coupons usually stock up on bottles for around $1 each. I use half as much as recommended and it still works well for us.

I'll use any Free/Clear detergents if they are under $1 though

A little OT, but if you have lots of dipes to wash, I recommend Charlies soap.

Grace Comes.

#19 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Funny, I just bought some last night and was thinking the same thing. We ended up buying a small bottle because you never know how we might react to it. It was cheaper than the store brand!
Good to know that nothing is wrong with it. :

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#20 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 04:56 PM

I've see Purex BOGO at CVS/Walgreens sometimes (not sure of their regular prices) and as low as $1.99 on sale at Kroger and Meijer. Combine those with a coupon and that's a good price. My parents come to visit twice a year and we get detergent at Costco that lasts us about six months so, even as cheap as Purex is, free is better when my parents are buying. LOL

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#21 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use it and like it as well. I only use 1/2 of what is called for, too.
#22 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM

For my homemade laundry stuff, I use a 2.5 gallon plastic bucket that held Sun powder, once upon a time.

In the bucket, I combine:

One big blue box powdered Purex
Two 4# boxes Arm&Hammer baking soda
Two 3# boxes A&H Super Washing Soda
One big box Mule Team Borax
Two plastic tubs Sun brand oxiclean

I use an oxiclean scoop (1 oz.) as my measure.

The official Tide clone recipe uses Sun with Bleach Alternative instead of Purex, and omits the baking soda.

For around $35-$40, I make enough laundry soap to last us a year, and I don't have to use anything different for diapers.

If you don't have a gamma seal lid for your bucket, get something like a cottage cheese container, and fill that with the laundry soap, then snap your bucket lid back on. That way, you won't get moisture clumps, and you won't break your fingers every time you need to do a load of laundry.

For stains, I use equal parts Clorox II and generic Cascade. $7 for Clorox, $4 for Cascade, lasts a year. Use in hot water.

For impossible stains, sprinkle the C/C right on the stain, then spray with OxyClean Stain Pretreat in the blue spray bottle. Costs under $3. The refill (twice as big as the spray bottle) costs $5. The stain will turn color, then come out in the wash. We go thru one or two big bottles of OxyClean spray per year. We have tons of stains, tho'.

So, as a family of five, including one in diapers, we spend around $60/yr to do laundry, not including water and energy costs.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#23 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use arm and hammer because my hubby doesn't like purex. He says it makes his clothes stink or something./
Cristianso likes this.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#24 of 26 Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post
We use arm and hammer because my hubby doesn't like purex. He says it makes his clothes stink or something./
Which Purex scent have you tried?

I think that usually I get the spring breeze or something. The clothing smells like nothing after it is washed and I have a pretty sensitive nose.

This past time I accidentally picked up the mountain breeze scent (chasing a 3-year-old, trying to shop). OMG THE CLOTHING STINKS. The smell is so awful that I'm thinking of just giving the very big container up as a waste and going back to purchase the right scent.
Cristianso likes this.
#25 of 26 Old 01-18-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I use Purex Free and Clear...You know why I like it so much? Besides only being $3 a bottle? They don't charge you more for the Free and Clear vs the other scents like all the other brands...

That and it is always on sale or BOGO...And it cleans our clothes just fine...

I am happy with it and my girl has SEVERE skin allergies and not all Free and Clears pass her skin test...

#26 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We use Purex Free and Clear also. I wish I was able to find coupons on it. It is cheap but I do love using coupons.

luxlove.gif Mommy to my 2 girls 2whistle.gif,joy.gif and 1 little boy thumbsuck.gif.  Wifey to my amazing stillheart.gif husband!  blowkiss.gif Loving my every moment of motherhood! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page