keep plowing through or pay cash...school... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 3 semesters away from my BSW, and then have three more semesters until my MSW. My career objective is to get my MSW so I can open my private practice. We are doing the Dave Ramsey plan, and are really making good headway. Right now, my school is funded through loans, but I might possibly qualify for grants next year. Before Dave Ramsey came into my life, my goal was to go straight to my MSW. Now, I'm wondering if I should continue on, or stop at my BSW and wait to pay cash for my MSW. What are your ideas? Thanks!!!
#2 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM

I think that I would try to think about how much money I was going to make after graduating versus how much in loans I already have out.
I'm not entirely sure what a perfect ratio would be but it would have to be one that I was comfortable with.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#3 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well, if I get grants (our family size went from 3 to 5, on one income) then there's no question about it, but if I have to take out loans, I'm not sure what to do.
#4 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM

Private practice is going to take some extra time to achieve. Not sure what the licensing requirements are in your state or supervision requirements, but private practice takes some "seasoning" in the field first. If you can get through without big loans, I would do so, as it's unlikely in the field that you'll be making a lot back to support the loans, at least initially.
#5 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I know I'll need 3,000 clinical hours before I can branch out on my own, I guess I was saying that so people knew my intentions with my degree. What I want to do is not possible with a BSW, so I have to get my MSW, it's juts a matter of now (with debt) versus later (with less debt).
#6 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM

I would be inclined to trudge forwards b/c you only have three more semesters to go. If you can get grants for next year, then I'd certainly keep going. Unless I was drowning in debt, I'd probably keep going with loans as well.

If you do take a break, would it be easy to get back into the program? Often, once a person is out of school for a while, it can be hard to get back into the school mode and people sometimes don't go back. Not everyone is like that, of course, but it may sometimes be best just to trudge forward. From what you said, it sounds like you are not one of those people b/c you know what you want and you know what you need to get there, but it is a possibility. Are you able to take on an evening job a couple night per week or a job on the weekend to help offset the cost?

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#7 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 01:18 PM

I think I would keep on going, even if you don't get the grant money. You won't be able to do much with a BSW, and since your goal is private practice with a MSW - you need to get through grad school and start working so you can be licensed (doesn't it take at least 3 years?)

I mean, less loans is always the better route -you need to compare total loan amount to your starting salary and be sure you will be able to comfortably make those monthly payments - but I just think with a MSW not taking that much longer, I would keep going.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM

We made the choice to continue and DH has one more class thats starts next week. We are excited.

We decided the small amount of debt we would take on just to finish now was a investment in our future the diffrence for him in pay scale between his BA and Masters was great enough we felt like a higher debt load was worth just getting it over and done with.
#9 of 9 Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I was thinking just keep going also, as we are already accostomed to living on one income, and I think it would be a lot harder to move up to two incomes, and then have to drop down to one again. Plus, I'm already in the groove, I think it will be a lot harder to go back a year or two later!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page