If you spend less than $500/month on groceries for a family of 4+ ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who have 4+ people in your family and are able to keep your grocery bill fairly low (I've defined it at $500 for 4 people, obviously 6 or 7 people would cost a bit more), what meals do you have on a regular basis?

I already know the "buy foods where they're cheapest" stuff, and the "buy in season" trick, etc. But I'm thinking that part of why our grocery bill is higher than I would like is because of the sorts of meals we eat.

So what meals do you eat frequently?
If your family snacks, what sorts of snack foods do you keep around?

Thanks!

student momma to two great girls

#2 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 PM

mmm.. I think I am pretty close to that mark, except I feed 6 not 4, so some accounting for that..

We eat frequently-

baked chicken (and this actually lasts us for about 3 meals).. d1- rice with chicken chunks d2- chicken chunks in curry with veggies- d3 cubed chicken over spaghetti noodles and sauce or shred it and make chicken salad for sandwiches

If I make a meatloaf, then d2 is spaghetti sauce or if we make hamburgers then day 2 is spaghetti sauce or chili.

So I cook based on the idea that an entree will last multiple days if that makes sense..

I plan my meals based on my leftovers mainly.

Oatmeal is cheap, I wish I knew more bean based recipes.
We eat a LOT of rice in our house- the rice cooker runs almost everyday.
#3 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 PM

We eat lots of soupy, stew-y, one pot type meals. Lots of them are served over rice (cause that's what I love). I would say 90% of our meals have a cheap starch served with them--rice, potatoes, pasta, or polenta most frequently.

We have a salad with supper 3-4 times a week. I serve lettuce salads really only in spring and fall, when it's cheapest for us. In summer, we have cucumbers, cucumbers and tomatoes, or just tomatoes usually. Sometimes slaw or another variation of a cabbage salad.

We eat meatless once a week or so, but that's cause we like it. I don't think it really saves us money, cause I frequently replace the meat with another goodie (like cheese or nuts or tofu).

This weeks' meals:
-homemade pizza with basil and tomatoes (meatless)
-queso fundido (tacos with cheese, roasted poblanos, and chorizo)
-biscuits and gravy(sunday supper)
-roast chicken, hominy casserole, roasted cherry tomatoes, honeymoon salad (lettuce alone!)
-venison pot roast, mashed potatoes, green beans
-eggplant parmesan, pasta tossed with red sauce (meatless meal), tomato/basil salad
-slow simmered cube steak in tomato gravy, rice, butter beans, tomato/basil salad

for breakfast, we had:
oatmeal x 3
cheese toast
eggs and toast
bagels (just cheap grocery store kind) with cream cheese
eggs, grits, toast, and bacon (saturday)

for lunches, we had:
leftovers
cottage cheese, tomatoes, and crackers
broccoli cheese soup
grilled cheese
ramen

for snacks:
saltines (my kids adore these)
apples
cheese and crackers
celery
pretzels

for potty training successes, we celebrate with cheap fruit treats.

We drink mostly water, but dh takes a coke every day for lunch, and I have a coke about 3 times a week. We have a seltzer machine, and dh drinks mostly that. I drink flat water. Less than once a week, I make a pitcher of lemonade (bottled lemon juice, sugar, water) or sweet tea.
#4 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Roasted chicken - antibiotic free chicken thighs and drumsticks bought by the case when they're $1 a pack
Spaghetti - dh makes this, we use our own beef we've raised and pasta bought on sale
Tacos - same as spaghetti
Zesty grilled hamsteak - our own pork, covered in a brown sugar, horseradish, lemon juice mix
Baked potatoes (we eat potatoes as a side ALOT too) - I live in Idaho, potatoes are cheap
Pizza - homemade
Breakfast - eggs are cheap, sausage we raised
Baked trout - I live in the "trout capital of the world" so that's pretty cheap around here, we get ours free since my mom works for a fish company, plus there's lots of fishing here
Steak - our own beef again, or deer if dh hunts
Meatloaf - our own beef

Those are the ones we eat the most, that I can think of. Sides are always veggies (in season or ones I've frozen myself), pasta, homemade bread, rice (I make my own rice-a-roni-ish mix).

Lunches are always leftovers or sandwiches. We buy alot of bread and bagels when they goes on sale really cheap or hit the day old bread store. Breakfasts are eggs, pancakes/waffles (homemade and then frozen), bagels or oatmeal. Snacks are always homemade except potato chips and crackers that are majorly on sale.
#5 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 03:16 PM

Lots of one dish meals is the biggest thing I think for us. Constantly looking for sources for the cheapest prices on everything.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 03:32 PM

I try to buy things on sale and buy bulk things as much as possible (like bags of chicken legs and things like that)
Sorry, that's all I have.

mama to dd1 17yo, ds1 16yo, ds2 13 yo, and dd2 6yo
#7 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfrenchy View Post
So what meals do you eat frequently?
If your family snacks, what sorts of snack foods do you keep around?

Thanks!
Here's meals we typically have in high (2-3x/mon) rotation for our family of 4 (3 y.o & 9mon):

1. Brinner aka breakfast for dinner!
  2. BLATs -Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado,& Tomato sandwiches
  3. Tacos - Since we buy GB in bulk from costco & then cook it up (unless I know I need it for a meatloaf that month), its super easy to just thaw, toss in seasoning, chop & fry up some shells quickly
  4. Speghetti/Chili - Again cooking huge amounts & then freezing them so I can quickly scramble for a meal if necessary.

For Snacks, here's our list, keep in mind both DH & DS (3y.o.) love their snacks!!:
  1. Goldfish (again bulk size from Costco, but only get 1 box per month, once its out that's it!)
  2. Animal Cookies -same as above (we're still working through a box of these and its been almost 6months)
  3. Fresh Fruit & Veggies -strawberries, blueberries, mangos, apples, pears, bananas, cukes, peppers, celery, carrots - basically whatever can we get on sale or cheaply if possible.
  4. Granola Bars - bulk ala costco (usually every 2months)
  5. Popcorn - we just buy a 2lb bag of kernels & pop it ourselves on the stovetop with as much as we want to make (1 cup of kernels is a huge stockpot worth of popcorn!). Store extras in a Ziploc bag if necessary. Purchase usually every 2months

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#8 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM

We budget $450/month and feed five.

Some of the things I've learned to do to keep our food costs low is:

- cook all of our meals (that means no cold cereals for breakfast and no deli meat sandwiches for lunches)

A typical breakfast might be:

- cooked oatmeal (bought in large containers at Costco) with dried fruit/nuts
- pancakes and applesauce
- waffles and fruit

A typical lunch might be:

- chicken salad and bread
- peanut butter and jam (home canned) sandwiches
- fried rice with veggies and chicken
- dinner leftovers

A typical dinner might be:

- roast chicken, potatoes, veggie
- crock pot venison roast, potatoes, carrots
- linguine with meat sauce (home canned tomatoes, ground beef bought as a 1/4 steer), steamed broccoli (grown in our garden and frozen)

We grow a big garden every year and also buy in season to freeze or can for later use.

We buy much of our meat from local farmers in bulk (1/4 steer, 20 chickens, etc). DH also hunts and we regularly have venison.

We don't drink beverages other than herbal teas (grown ourselves or bought in bulk) and water.
#9 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM

I've got 6, and spend about $600/month; but that includes toiletries/cat food, etc.

Here's our meals from this week:

Breakfast
cereal
bagels
hard boiled eggs
multigrain hot cereal (barley, oats, millet and flax seeds cooked overnight in crockpot, with dried fruit)

lunch
hummus with (homemade) pita chips, carrot sticks, water and apple
lentil soup (homemade, with frozen chicken stock made a few weeks ago)
peanut butter and honey on whole wheat
egg salad
chicken salad (made with leftover roasted chicken)

dinner
tilapia with red peppers and olives, garlic broccoli, buttered noodles
roasted chicken, acorn squash, swiss chard
italian wedding soup (homemade, using stock made from the carcass fromt eh roasted chicken), herb biscuits
homemade pizza with tossed salad
crock pot pot roast with veggies (roast was buy one, get one, so there's another in the freezer), mashed sweet potatoes, sauteed kale and parker house rolls

snacks
air-popped popcorn
graham crackers
apples (LOTS of apples; we go through about 16pounds a week!)
carrot sticks with (homemade) ranch dressing
granola
cheese cubes with whole wheat crackers

we drink maily water, or iced tea made at home. I rarely buy soda or other drinks. That saves a ton of money Treats are homemade, and rare. Cookies, brownies, pudding, custard are probably once a week at most.
#10 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 05:23 PM

I'm not exactly sure of our budget, but I feed six and we are very food-frugal compared to most people I know.

I will echo some things already said.

We stick to in-season vegetables, mostly from our garden. In winter this means frozen veggies, canned tomatoes, cabbage, onions, carrots, kale. For fruit - apples, frozen berries.

We drink mostly water, occasionally herb tea, and I've started making homemade lemonade a few times a week for the vitamin C (picky eater kids; cheaper than OJ).

We eat a lot of one-pot meals or something-over-rice. Stirfry, stew, soup, fried rice, frittata. Lentils; beans and rice.

We buy meat in bulk from farmers or when on sale. There is a discount food store near us (bang-and-dent type) and I can often get good frozen sausages there, in addition to other things.

Once a week the kids and DH have hot dogs and canned beans for dinner when I am out.

We just adapt our recipes to whatever meat is in the freezer. Right now we're overloaded with cheap turkeys that need eating up. So I roast on one night, then use the leftovers all week, or cut up the meat and freeze for future meals. I use bones and bits to make crockpot stock - first straining or two become soup/stew and the next becomes egg-drop soup for the kids. Also it's amazing how much meat you can get off bones you thought were picked clean. I always put leftover drumstick, thigh, and wing bones in the stockpot after the kids are done with them - I figure hours of boiling make it safe. I have a big 6 or 7-quart crockpot that can boil overnight.

Also I try to be a stickler about not wasting food. There's a container in the freezer where I dump "soup-ables," including plate scrapings if appropriate. Large bits of meat leftover on plates can also go into fried rice or the bean pot.

Breakfast is oatmeal, eggs, homemade waffles/muffins/pancakes, bread pudding, nuts and raisins, apples and peanut butter, peanut butter sandwiches. Sometimes the kids will have a small bowl (about 1/2 cup) of frozen berries with breakfast. In summer, sometimes I make fruit smoothies, but they are relatively expensive so it's a treat.

Lunch is almost always leftovers, salami or pepperoni (if we can get it cheap), corn chips with salsa or hummus or canned refried beans, peanut butter sandwiches, hard-boiled eggs, egg salad, canned salmon, and/or raw veggies.

DH always has leftovers for lunch. I have leftovers or easy/cold stuff with the kids.

For snacks: apples (in season, which is Sept-May), popcorn, corn chips (always bought on sale in bulk), salsa, canned refried beans used as dip, nuts and raisins, raw veggies, leftover muffins. Sometimes I make oatmeal or peanut butter cookies, or apple crisp.

Also, this might be small, but we have three cats and let them lick plates/bowls as appropriate, which supplements their food and reduces waste.

We pick our own berries (some free from a neighbor), freeze veggies from our garden, and buy in bulk whenever possible. I just bought my winter onions (100#) from a farmer and will buy potatoes and apples soon, too.

Our family's complicating budget-buster is that we don't eat gluten, dairy, or cane sugar. I know our food bill would be even lower if we could eat those things.

Also I have a couple of picky eaters. Their staples are eggs and peanut butter. I make sure we have the fruits/veggies they will eat (within reason - cheap only) and aim to feed them another meal of acceptable protein in addition to those two things each day, so generally one meat meal.

We don't do dessert and only rarely do sweets, and then they are homemade.

We do break the rules at birthdays. Birthday person can choose their meal, special drink, dessert, as long as it isn't too expensive. So we have "fancy" things six times a year. LOL.

Sorry, that was long. It does pretty much sound like all the repliers have the same kinds of ideas. Good luck!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#11 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 05:34 PM

Menu plan from flyers.

When I do this, my grocery budget is so LOW. I go through the flyers on Friday afternoon and plan all 7 days worth of breakfasts, snacks, lunches, dinners and 'treats'.

I take into account what we typically like to eat, what's in the pantry/freezer and go from there. If ground beef is on sale, I might do meat loaf and then chili with any leftovers using lots of beans.
#12 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 06:09 PM

We eat a lot of casseroles like chicken and tuna and those give us left overs for a few days. We also do something called "pizza bake" which is sorta like a lasagna and that also gives us left overs. We do a lot of grilled food like chicken, pork, etc. Also a lot of baked chicken. We don't drink soft drinks but mainly org. milk and water. We are not big snackers but keep apples and bananas on hand.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#13 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 PM

There are 5 of us and our bill is usually between 400 and 450. We almost NEVER eat out so this is for every singe meal...

I make lots of soups in the winter. We eat lots of salad as our main dish in the summer. Eat in season food. Build meals around sale foods.

I also frequent an asian market where somethings cost much less.

We also have 'breakfast dinner" fairly frequently - eggs, pancakes, fruit, etc. The kids love it and it is a super cheap dinner.

For snacks - we do popcorn on the stovetop, popsicles, fruit, pretzels (both hard and big soft in the oven) veggies with ranch dressing....

We used to have lots of egg based meals, but one of my sons is allergic to eggs so we only do eggs for individuals not a meal, but eggs and beans are great ways to get your protein without spending money on meat...
#14 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 PM

We do lots of these things (coupon, buy in bulk, meal plan from sales, stockpile, square-foot garden) and the only tips I have to add are

* join a CSA. I split the largest share with a neighbor and get a half bushel of organic veggies for less than $15 a week.

* learn a half dozen flexible recipes, whether a stir-fry, casserole, etc, that you can substitue with like crazy.

Snacks: fresh fruit, dried fruit, cut veggies, granola, left overs, popcorn

Recent breakfasts:
oatmeal with dried fruit and milk (bought with coupons for free last January, will stock up again next month)
french toast (used free day-old bread a bakery dropped off at the community center)
fritta (eggs from local farmer, veggies from csa)

Lunch:
sandwiches or leftovers

Dinner from the past few days:
lasagna (couponed no-boil noodles, ricotta and italian cheese mix, lots of random CSA veggies)
left over lasagna and large dinner salad with walnuts and dried cranberries
chicken thighs and roasted root veggies

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#15 of 28 Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 PM

Our budget is often way under that, and currently we are a family of 3 almost 4. My DD is a very active 3 y/o and much of the time eats like an adult, Dh eats a lot and right now I'm pg so I have been eating my fair share too.

I have a few things to add.

Of course menu plan, but one of my things is buying a huge thing of ground beef or chicken breast and cooking them ahead. I make meatballs and bake the chicken breasts, so I can easily have some go-to meals when in a time crunch.

Planned overs-I like to get a couple seasoned turkey tenderloins, we eat one one night then a few nights later have stirfry or something else with the "planned overs".

I cannot repeat how much it helps, BULK shopping and freezers are just wonderful. I don't go to the store anymore without a plan of attack. I also do a a once a month Walmart stockpiling. I'm not exactly stoked about this, but when it comes to some thing where I live WM is the way to go. I need to create a master list and then can just print of quantities and then buy what we need from there for the month. I've only been doing that for 2 months, but have figured out I need to buy at least 6 half and half quarts, 3 bags of coffee, etc.....it really does save us money and we need to we've lost about a 1/3 of our income the past year. It really has helped our budget, and right now I just have to save money-we used to never grocery shop there. I still don't buy my meat or produce there.

Coupons-and I only buy coupons now, that way I can get multiples of the things we want, the snack we eat, when they are on sale and for cheap. My current ones right now Digiornio frozen pizzas and granola bars. We have a stockpile of both for half price. We're having a baby soon so the pizzas come in handy I just find the buying of coupons to be a better way to go, plus where I live the coupon options are pretty limited.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#16 of 28 Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 AM

I'm not sure I really count quite yet. I'm still bfing our #4, but since I'm definitely eating for two (I can easily eat twice what my husband does), I'll jump in.

We are mostly vegetarian (sometimes I buy chicken on sale). We eat tons and tons of beans in various forms. My favorite foods are simple vegetarian tex-mex. Beans, rice, tortillas and salsa. Some nights I can eat a bowl of red beans on top of rice with a little cheese. And honestly, I'm in heaven. I love it. I cook beans in large quantities and freeze them.

Simple pasta - pasta with homemade tomato sauce, or just with a little oil and cheese on it.

Vegetable stir-fry. I skip the tofu, even, but if I have chicken in the freezer from a sale, I'll stick in one chicken breast for all of us (not each of us).

For snacks, we eat stuff like fruit, nuts, popcorn, bagels.

Mostly for us what saves us money is that I cook. So Pace picante is around $4 here for a quart. Since we can easily go through a quart or more a week, I make salsa for around $1 a quart (I have to buy canned tomatoes this year since mine did poorly in the garden). Once you can get away from most processed foods, it will really save you money, and it's not as much work as you might think.

Also, I try and consider the nutritional value of foods when I buy. For example, blueberries are expensive, but make it into my budget because they have high nutritional value. We cut out coffee because it has very little nutritional value, and we were spending lots of money on coffee and on creamer.

On that same note, I don't mind the cost if my kid eats 3 bananas in one day, because every calorie is good for him. On the flip side, if he eats a half a bag of Doritos, it sucks, cause it's expensive, and it's bad for him.

Oh - and portion control. Pay attention to how much food is going in the trash after meals. Make sure everyone takes a little to begin with. If they want more, they can come back and get it. Save and eat leftovers.
#17 of 28 Old 09-26-2009, 02:22 AM

We feed four for $400.

My tricks:

1. I buy my meat at the beginning of the month. I pretty much always buy the same cuts (some beef, pork, chicken and fish) and can keep this part of my budget low because I buy at costco which I think has superior cuts and quality (for conventional meat that is) for a low price.

2. I meal plan once a month and shop for fresh once a week.

3. We make everything from scratch and this has cut our grocery bill in HALF. Literally.

4. For snacks, we have fruit, veggies and hummus, cheese and meat. Occasional baked treats but we're GF now so the learning curve has put a damper on my baking.

Breakfast is usually green smoothie with frozen fruit. Sometimes eggs as well.

Lunch is usually a big salad with protein and homemade dressing, or a hearty soup.

Dinner is where dh and I love to be creative. We often plan our meals to stretch into three different dinners, roasting a chicken one night, making some sort of skillet or casserole or mexican dish (need to learn how to make grain free tortillas), and the third night might be a chicken stew, chicken pot pie, etc. Then I still have the bones and bits for stock. Same goes for a roast, pork loin or ham. We plan these cuts around 3 or 4 different meals, so we aren't bored and wasting left overs, but really stretching our meat. In the winter we eat soups a lot, and they are so cheap, satisfying and healthy.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#18 of 28 Old 09-26-2009, 02:23 PM

almost all organic vegetarians here. feeding 4 on $400 per month. that $ includes all household items such as soap, toilet paper, etc.

we eat a lot of quesadillas, grilled cheese, pasta and veggies, potatoes, veggies and fruits in season (from U-pick places).

i don't think i could make this budget eating meat.
#19 of 28 Old 09-26-2009, 04:53 PM

I had a similar thread you might find interesting to read, it's long: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1060461

Resistance is futile Matey
#20 of 28 Old 09-26-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboy View Post
Mostly for us what saves us money is that I cook. So Pace picante is around $4 here for a quart. Since we can easily go through a quart or more a week, I make salsa for around $1 a quart (I have to buy canned tomatoes this year since mine did poorly in the garden). Once you can get away from most processed foods, it will really save you money, and it's not as much work as you might think.
Would you share your canned tomato salsa recipe? We go through salsa like crazy here and I only know how to make it with fresh tomatoes. Now, with canned, that opens up a MUCH larger chunk of the year for yummy salsa (a MUST for any meal, if you ask me)

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#21 of 28 Old 09-26-2009, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
Would you share your canned tomato salsa recipe? We go through salsa like crazy here and I only know how to make it with fresh tomatoes. Now, with canned, that opens up a MUCH larger chunk of the year for yummy salsa (a MUST for any meal, if you ask me)

Ami
This is the recipe we use:

1 large can of whole tomatoes
1/2 of an onion (either yellow or red)
clove of garlic
handful of fresh cilantro
juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
salt & pepper

Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until it's the consistency you like.
#22 of 28 Old 09-26-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
We feed four for $400.

My tricks:
we're GF now so the learning curve has put a damper on my baking.
could you share more? we're GF but need help and ideas to trim our food budget. i can spend 160 a week on just food. no toiletries soaps etc. just food. and i dont buy anything processed or ready made! i make everything!

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#23 of 28 Old 09-26-2009, 06:40 PM

subbing

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#24 of 28 Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 PM

I'm finding rotating weeks where I buy items help the budget. One week is meat heavy and fill the freezer, one week I go to whole foods or trader joes and load up on nuts and bulk ingredients. Cutting dairy has saved us quite a bit of money - son has a dairy allergy and now we have minimal amount of milk for dh coffee and ds2 chooses a yogurt usually as his special choice at the grocery store.

I also find when cooking meat, I save about a portion uncooked in the freezer and can spread that into a meal in a pinch - a chicken breast, or 1/4 of the steak - sliced up or diced and mixed with pasta or rice or veggies and I can get a nice lunch together.

If anyone has an Ocean State Job lot - I find a lot of organics that I like for treats there and have not had a problem with quality - nachos, tea, great deals on coffee, newman's o's or fig newmans, panda puffs and similar cereals.

managing our food budget and keeping everyone fed is a full time job. one I'm still getting better at.
#25 of 28 Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 PM

If you family is open to it, eating vegetarian can be a big help. I can get a block of tofu for 86 cents. An easy way to make it is tofu scramble. Basically you crumble it up & fry/sautee it with a little soy sauce, tumeric for color, seasoning & veggies. We eat it with apple slices & toast.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#26 of 28 Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 PM

I began with this basic recipe for salsa (since we're big Pace fans here):

http://www.recipezaar.com/Copycat-Pa...te-Sauce-81059

I've been making adjustments, so my recipe now is this:

2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes, drained and blended in food processor
15 ounces water
1 medium yellow onion, minced
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, with seeds,minced
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, and until it reaches the consistency you want.

It will burn, so be careful.
#27 of 28 Old 09-27-2009, 11:05 PM

I feed 3 adults and a toddler for about >$400 a month, BUT I almost never buy meat. Not because we don't eat it, but because we raise goats, & hunt deer and either raise chickens or buy them from friends/local farms once or twice a year, buy a lamb from the neighbors and pork from friends. And we have chickens/ducks for eggs, so I don't buy them either. And we get cheese, juice, cereal, peanut butter from WIC (I have a herd share for milk).

All that said... we eat a lot of rice, pasta, & potatoes. Lots of stir fries, curries, homemade pizza, tacos/tostadas/burritos. And mostly, I cook from scratch...
#28 of 28 Old 09-27-2009, 11:43 PM

Our bill is around $400 for the 4 of us.

I make yogurt, soft cheese, and granola weekly, which saves quite a bit on buying these items in the store. We are vegetarian which can make a difference. We eat a lot of beans.

For breakfast we eat homemade yogurt and granola.
For lunches we tend to eat left overs or big salads with boiled eggs.
Our dinners are pretty simple. Sometimes we have bowls of pinto beans which could also be eaten as tostadas, burritos, or nachos.
We eat a lot of stir fry-veggies with brown rice and garbanzo beans.
I also make veggie frittatas

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page