Stocking Stuffer Ideas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 12-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the kids' stockings, I have socks, bangle bracelets for DD, a couple of small wooden cars for DS, stickers, markers, and 2 small chocolate Santas. I'll probably toss in some chap-stick and maybe fingernail polish for DD. Oh, yeah, I also have small spiral notebooks & bouncing balls for each of them.

For DH, I do Jujyfruits, a small bag of hard candy, then some things like travel-size cologne (he takes it to work), maybe new razor blades, any small hardware or computer items he wants (bungee cords, cord wraps, etc.).

We also do pet stockings (maybe we're weird...). They each get some small toy and a can of "gourmet" wet food.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#62 of 84 Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM

Every year they get a new box of crayons, markers or colored pencils, some fruit and a small toy animal or sticker book.

Now that they're older they don't get stickers anymore.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#63 of 84 Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
It has gotten harder as the boys have gotten older AND we have a ton of adults ( dh, my mom, my brother, both my ILs and this year a great aunt and uncle...)
I know what you mean. My two youngest stepkids are now 12 and 16 although the 12 year old is still more on the "little girl" side than the "growing into a teen" side so its still easy to get her the cute little girly things. However, I have a 4 year old grandson and a grandbaby girl so there's lots of years yet for easy stocking surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
We also do pet stockings (maybe we're weird...). They each get some small toy and a can of "gourmet" wet food.
Not weird. I do that some years for my cat.
#64 of 84 Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 AM

For my daughter:
-Some cardboard books

-two plastic dinosaurs

(all found in the $1 section in front of Target)

For hubby:

-chapstick

-some fishing supplies found on clearance at Fleet & Farm

-Peach Rings

-an orange

-small bottle of scotch (the most expensive thing, being around $15 but it's the only bottle he gets a year)

-a date planner from Dollar Tree outlined with various birthdays and special days of the year

As my daughter gets older I'll add a few things more appropriate for her age. This year and next year, I'm doing more for me cos it's fun playing Santa in our household. :) It was fun reading everyone's ideas! Definitely gonna keep a few in the back of my mind. 

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

#65 of 84 Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 PM

this thread has given me some great ideas. ds would love chapstick. i'm stocked practically for life with burts bees i got clearanced at walmart a few years ago, but he doesnt like it. i dont know why i never thought of that myself smile.gif

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#66 of 84 Old 12-06-2011, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I pick up bits and pieces from nearly new sales and so on throughout the year. Most of those little bits get put in stockings so ours are very variable.

There is always an orange and some chocolate and often a toothbrush and some fun socks.

When they were a bit younger I usually did a batch of glittery play dough which they loved.

This year they have

orange

chocolate coins

nail varnish

toothbrushes

small pack of plastercine

slipper socks

rainbow fairy christmas special book

colouring book

a couple of pieces of brio track

plastic coins (we already have a cash register)

dice

#67 of 84 Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

For the last few years, I have put one of the little webkinz pets.  Run between 4 and 7 dollars from Amazon and they get to play on the computer with them.  This year, they are getting,

gift card for one ice cream cone at their fav ice cream place,

burts bees lip balm, 

a freebie from my department that is a little box of post it flags for reading,

pens

Christmas ornament

chocalate orange from Trader Joes

probably a bag os cheddar bunnies or something

small webkinz

Little package of tissues with a Christmas theme (.99 in the grocery store!)

small chocalate Santa or maybe the Reese's christmas version

Used to always put in the little Plabmobil, but I think they have outgrown it.  one year they got a playmobil Santa and snowman set  very cute!

Sometimes a crystal or a fossil or something like that.

I usually buy too much and then have to jam it all in!  I really like to fill the stockings....Probaly 15 to 20 per stocking.

#68 of 84 Old 12-06-2011, 02:28 PM

I've been collecting the hello kitty toys from mc donalds for my daughter. She loves hello kitty, but no way were we going to eat there enough to collect more than one toy.  I've stopped in, and bought the toys individually for $2 each. I think she will be thrilled.

I was thinking of doing this over the course of the coming year for the toys dd likes from mc donalds.

#69 of 84 Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM

This year I totally scored with my oldest's stocking. Our local Goodwill gets a lot of Target clearance donated, so I got her brand new items for 39c each! That really tickles my frugal side, I have to say lol.gif My youngest is way too young to know anything, so we are skipping the stocking for him this year.

I got:

a wooden yo-yo with an ice cream cone painted on it

a little plant pot with seeds and soil included to grow a little fern

a felt cupcake ornament for the tree that I'll hang outside her stocking

a cupcake sticky-notepad

a brand new in package lip smacker chap stick

an i-spy squeeze ball -- it's super cute, you squeeze it and it has things hidden within the ball, pink and sparkly too, right up her alley and will be great for her sensory-seeking tendencies

a pair of funky cute socks

a pack of foam stickers with bears and other cute animals

Those are all things that will get used/played with, so I'm happy.

I'll also add a couple of things I'm not going to wrap like new undies with fun prints (needed anyway) and a new fancy shmancy character toothbrush (not typically bought here). She needs a couple of new craft items to replenish her supplies so I'll probably put those in her stocking as well.  I'll round it off with a couple chocolates and maybe a couple of food items we don't buy regularly such as organic granola bars and the like.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#70 of 84 Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM

A couple of years ago when I was hanging up stockings I asked my DD (who was almost 3) what went in them?  The told me toothbrush and under ware.  SO that is our tradition I guess.  Pack of new undies, a toothbrush, a coloring book from the dollar store, crayons from back to school sale, stickers, bandaids and usually a pack of candy.  If you are too little for undies you get an undershirt or pjs or something.  I think I am just going to plan on doing my own.  One year DH has filled one for me.  One year out of seven.  

I don't know why everyone is putting an orange in them???

Oh- we also do stockings at my moms.  She hangs them all and we all contribute something to everyone.  It is so much fun to see what you get.  My not yet brother in law put in nasty undies for all of us....  those were regifted all year long :)  They get really full!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#71 of 84 Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

I don't know why everyone is putting an orange in them???

It's a legend that St. Nicholas threw gold coins down a chimney to pay the dowries of three sisters who couldn't afford them. The legend is, their stockings were drying by the fireplace and the gold fell in them as he threw them in. The ball of gold is repesented by an orange. Incidentally, this is also why gold coins are popular at Christmas too :)

Also, fresh citrus fruit used to be very hard to come by in winter months in places other than Florida or California, so it was considered a pretty rare and special treat.

More practically, it fills the toe pretty well since it's an odd shape lol

Hope that helps!

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#72 of 84 Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Motley assortment of stuff.  These are some of the things I have bought over the years:

An orange

chocolate

Christmas ornament

yo-yo

slinky

stickers

matchbox car

cute pencils/erasers

lip balm

warm hat

socks

crossword puzzle book

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#73 of 84 Old 12-08-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My almost 2 year old is getting art supplies to go with an easel that is a shared gift for both boys. He is getting a hat and mittens (which is also a need), a tooth brush, a hand made sock owl, maybe some training pants, some stickers and an orange in the toe.

I'm not sure about our 3 month old who will be almost 4 months old at that time. He'll get a sock owl and maybe some teething rings.

I'm still thinking about what to get my husband. I'll have to reread this thread.

#74 of 84 Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 AM

For dd (11)-

I'm copying a bunch of recipes for the Easy Bake Oven onto recipe cards.  http://www.eborecipes.com/Recipes/R37.htm

I'm going to try to make some hair scrunchies.

I'm making a yo yo doll with fabric she picked out.

There will be a piece of fruit- an orange or a pear.

There will be candy.

Some other random small things.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#75 of 84 Old 12-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

For dd (11)-

I'm copying a bunch of recipes for the Easy Bake Oven onto recipe cards.  http://www.eborecipes.com/Recipes/R37.htm

This website is a w e s o m e!! Thank you SO much for posting it! Grandma got our oldest an EBO last Christmas and we haven't used it for ages because the mixes are kind of gross and too expensive. Thanks again!!

#76 of 84 Old 12-09-2011, 03:05 PM

We go to a church that does the OCC (Opertain Christmas Child) and we bought to much stuff this year for are two boxes. And we still had stuff from last year and we got it all from the dollor tree or cheap stores and some of it included:

Small stuffed animal

Small coloring/activite book

Hair Clips

Hair ties

Bubbles

Ready to color wood kit

Socks

Chapstick

that is pretty much everything!

But if you allow your kids to wear like kid makeup (Sold at dollar genral)

that would be good to, or small pocket books, pencials, crayons ECT.

#77 of 84 Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM

This one is good too! Are kids opened up their stockings on ST. nicholes day. The one I am talkin' about it this:

Haba Mini-Games

Amazing how Haba packed so much fun into one tiny tin. This puppy mini-game can be snapped onto a belt or backpack, making it the perfect travel gift. To grandmother's house we go!

#78 of 84 Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

This website is a w e s o m e!! Thank you SO much for posting it! Grandma got our oldest an EBO last Christmas and we haven't used it for ages because the mixes are kind of gross and too expensive. Thanks again!!

We had the same issue.  I was excited to find some recipes too.

Here is another site with recipes- http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/KIDS/Easy_Bake_Oven_Recipes_by_bme.html

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#79 of 84 Old 12-10-2011, 03:56 PM

My 2 Year Old's Stocking

Visited the pennywise shop and bought 2 hot wheels type cars in the packaging for $1 each, wooden spoons set of 3 for 30cents, a dreamcatcher necklace for 50 cents

A Schylling kaleidoscope ive had my eye on

Playmobile Santa, snowmen and sack set

Schleich mini panda bear 

I find the kinder surprise eggs satisfies his chocolate cravings too

I have a aim at making some of those crayon rocks, we'll see 

I think I'm at total cost of $30-$35, he'll get more food goodies with our big family stockings too, this is my treat for the end of his bed partners.gif

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#80 of 84 Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
mbm

DD (3) got a new pack of crayons, a Pez dispenser, a dollar-bin holiday themed puzzle, hair clips, an ornament and an orange.

St. Nicholas also brought a pair of warm pajamas and slippers, although he had her size wrong on the slippers and they had to go back to the Target at the North Pole.

#81 of 84 Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM

My husband and I started a tradition of ornaments in stockings for each other but they have to be hand made. One year I made him a guitar (because he loves playing the guitar) I made it with construction paper and spaghetti and beans. It turned out really neat. That same year for mine he made me a Christmas wreath out of wire and construction paper. The neat thing was each piece of wreath or strand he cut individually and it took him all not to make a full wreath. If I get a chance I will have to take a picture and show you guys. It has aged and discolored a bit through the years but it still is very special to me. Thanks for letting me share :)

PoetryLover likes this.
#82 of 84 Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 AM

homemade ornaments are nice  they are so expensive now from the stores!

For my DP's Stocking

I had a $50 gift card from purchasing a winter coat from sportschek I used that for a Burton tshirt and rolled it up and tied it with a raffia ribbon. Also got his favourite socks and took a few out and tied those with raffia ribbon, the rest Ill sneak in his sock drawer xmas morning

Lindor hazelnut bar $2

1 3pk of ferrero rocher and 1 3pk of lindor 99cents each 

I did get hot chocolate, but bought the tin (more for the money) and it was too big, so I wrote a note saying "merry christmas love you" and he got it at home orngtongue.gif

I managed to pack them in those sock monkey type socks (grey with red heels) to make it old fashioned 

he's getting a gerber multi tool/ pocket knife for xmas

Anyone getting the babies to make something homemade for daddy? Any ideas?

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#83 of 84 Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhippie View Post

Anyone getting the babies to make something homemade for daddy? Any ideas?

I love those fingerprint necklaces I've been seeing online. They are made with precious metal clay which is expensive and requires firing in a kiln but we made some with polymer clay (skulpey) which can be baked in the oven.  You could make a disk of polymer clay, put your child's fingerprint in it and write (I like to use rubber stamp letters) initials or a name.  It could make a nice key chain thingy.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#84 of 84 Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 PM

We put a satsuma, some gold foil-wrapped chocolate coins and a comic in each of our kids stockings. They munch on the satsuma and chocolate while reading the comics in bed which makes for a peaceful start to the day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page