Stocking Stuffer Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm curious to know what other people use as stocking stuffers for both children and adults. This year I will be stuffing 3 stockings, my stepdaugters' and husband's. Expensive items are out for me, as money is very tight right now. But I want to refrain from filling the stockings with "stuff" that is cheap but not useful. I will include some candy, but I don't want to give each girl a stocking filled with candy. I'm thinking along the lines of some art supplies, hair accessories, etc.

Partly I want to know what others are using as stocking stuffers for the borrowed ideas. :-) And partly, just for fun and personal interest. As a new stepmom and soon-to-be bio mom, I want to create wholesome family traditions. I have fond memories of Christmas Stockings as a child.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every year we received an apple, an orange, some nuts, a bag of chocolate coins and a toothbrush + some small gifts. The gifts were usually inexpensive things like a pair of funky socks or gloves, stickers, hair accessories, pens and pencils, other stationery items (e.g. pencil sharpener and rubbers), an annual (I don't know what they call them in the US but it's a hardbacked comic book) or other book, small lego set (one of the ones with say a vehicle and person), playdoh, puzzle book, colouring book, nail polish, a tree decoration.

Random gifts I remember were indoor sparklers, packets of sunflower & pumpkin seeds, magic tricks, training chopsticks and gingerbread people cutters.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Well, when the back to school sales were going on I bought a bunch of stuff to use as stocking stuffers (25 cent boxes of crayons, $1 crayola markers and colored pencils, ) I also think playdoh is a good idea. You can get a pack of 4 for less than 2 bucks and break it up. I also regularly find stuff in Target's dollar section (stamps, hair ties, work books)
Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 PM

So far I have chapstick, bath paints, little handmade soaps and a box of crayons for each. I'll also do Christmas socks and a few other little things like flashcards, some candy and possibly homemade playdough.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April411 View Post
Well, when the back to school sales were going on I bought a bunch of stuff to use as stocking stuffers (25 cent boxes of crayons, $1 crayola markers and colored pencils, ) I also think playdoh is a good idea. You can get a pack of 4 for less than 2 bucks and break it up. I also regularly find stuff in Target's dollar section (stamps, hair ties, work books)
I pretty much do this all year round, looking for deals on items that I can put in stockings. During the school sales I got 4 bottles of Elmer's glue (not the tiniest size) for 25 cents each. After Halloween you might find some Halloween stuff that doesn't look too Halloweeny that might work for stockings at a discount (I got DH a black coffee cup last year).

Things I have put in stockings before are buying a box of hot cocoa packets and splitting them up, chapstick, small LED flashlights that I found for 99 cents (these were unexpectedly quite a hit), juice boxes (not too expensive and take up room and DD never gets them so they are a treat).
Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 PM

one apple, one orange, one coke in a glass bottle, some lip smackers (bought on sale with coupons), stickers (on sale again!), new set of markers (purchased at a back to school sale for less than a dollar) and maybe a few other little things from Target's dollar bins.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have found some cute stuff so far:

a wooden top from www.maplelandmark.com
crayon rocks! www.crayonrocks.net
Christmas ornament
hair clippies
keychain
flannel beanbags
candy
gum

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Oh! And I heard that you can get a travel version of Hungry Hungry Hippos at Target for 99 cents with a coupon. The details are at www.afullcup.com in the Target forum.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 PM

We usually do a giant orange, some candy, nail polish, bath bubbles and some other knick knack type thing.

I remember sa a child we often got oranges and batteries.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 PM

All we do is stockings here, and with only one dd & my raging holiday cheer, my problem is usually getting too much stuff

I like to trade for handmade goodies- both locally & here at MDC- and use these for Akasha's solstice stocking. Last year she got felted whales and a knit monkey. Also some local soaps and bath yummies. Loved these!

Like others I also collect little things throughout the year for free/ on the super cheap. I have a little stash of bubbles, stickers, crayons. We live in a tiny apartment so we like to have a few beautiful things to be well loved, and then just usuable items...
I also include things like fun toothbrushes and hair clips. Homeopathics and bubble bath. These items will always get used and enjoyed.. and we go through a lot over the year.
And finally, we like to add one item that we've been wanting for her or she has really wanted that is spendy. Last year it was her Sigg.

Glad I am not the only one already feeling the holiday spirit coming on!

Grace Comes.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM

Great thread! I'm subbing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-26-2009, 09:06 PM

We do an apple in the bottom, one candy bar and a tshirt, ususally funny that gets used for sleeping or yardwork. My Step Dad started the tradition of tshirts in stockings (rolled up in the leg) when I was a teen with a thsirt that said "I put the fun in dysfunctional" - my family is strange, in a good way

I recently started peruseing This Tshirt Blog to search through categories to find something I like - and they seem to link to all the tshirt places I'd never think of so, it works.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm tempted to make cute bead and wire bugs (yeah, I was looking at a Martha Stewart book ) or flowers...

I'm trying to avoid the cheap stuff that is going to end up in the trash, too.

Things I've done are character bandaids that were on sale for $1 a box. Ds was thrilled with the transformer ones. I gave him a pack of AA batteries that came packaged with a screwdriver that looked like a battery. He thought that was cool. Sometimes there are packages with mini flashlights.

Mood rings (ds is really into these)
Post-it notes
Lipbalm
Bath fizzies
Smelly or special shaped soap
Socks
Fake snow (tube of powder that you add water to)
Beads that are ultraviolet sensitive and turn from white to colored in the sun

I'll probably get ds a small lego set because we don't open presents first thing, just the stockings, so it will give him something to do to make waiting easier. I always loved getting a paperback, myself. I get dh some dark chocolate in odd flavors, maybe a nut mix or spiced nuts.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 PM

DD's stocking is also a place to get those things that I don't buy throughout the year . . . like princess bandaids, cereal staws . . .
Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 PM

We ALWAYS get an orange of some kind in the toe. Toothbrushes are always a hit. Crayons and or colored pencils.. I like the tshirt idea- we are big Star Wars and Star Trek fans here, so I know they will be well loved.

Gift cards to "activities" we can do as a family are a staple... bowling, movies, etc and the amounts can be around $10 each and still thrill.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:11 AM

Around here stocking stuffers are usually items that ive stocked up during the year that are extra special and extra ordinary. For example my kids love bath and body works bath bubbles but I never ever pay full price. but I got a smoking deal ( $1 bottle this year) so each kid will get one bottle in their stocking. My kids love character toothbrushes but they are ususally$$ but if i can catch a sale and coupon they come to about $1 as well same for flavored toothpaste. My girls may get hair pretties or a fancy hairbrush, art supplies are always a favorite etc....my 9yr old ds is really into art supplies (markers, paper, crayons, etc)

I shop all year long and keep a huge stash , i dont like to do food for presents, i find with all my kids food just creates more of a mess and if something gets misplaced then I run the risk of bugs (gotta love AZ)
Old 09-27-2009, 01:04 AM

For my husband I have done:

a Starbucks gift card
a magazine subscription-buy the magazine and stuff it in the stocking with a little note that you bought him a subscription
socks
deodorant
shaving cream-he likes the Bigelow brand at Bath and Body Works, I found it on super sale and bought a few tubes
mints or gum
a special new ornament-there is a store at the local mall that sells personalized ornaments at good prices, this is now a holiday tradition for us. The website is www.treasuredornaments.com, most malls have a similar kiosk November-December.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

Old 09-27-2009, 02:31 AM

I do stockings for my step kids as well as my 4-year old grandson. He gets things like matchbox cars, little dinosaur toys, nerf ball, etc. My granddaughter is only 6 months old.

I usually get my dsd pink and girl things, she loves that. She's 11 years old and very girly. Lipsmackers, light cologne spray for girls, hair accessories, stickers, maybe stuff like markers and note pads, etc., tiny containers of playdo. My two middle dss's are teens and they get things like matchbox cars (they like to collect them), one year they got pocket knives. Everyone gets a little gum and/or candy and chapstick (which they all like to use, but not my grandson).

Dh and I don't put anything in our stockings.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:39 AM

childern- colourig books, fruit, markers, little toys,bubble bath

Teens- I just get those teen packs at walmark that has a magazine,shampoo,bottle water, gum, and other stuff

Husband-shaving gel, body spays, lotto cards, candy
Old 09-27-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
, I want to create wholesome family traditions. I have fond memories of Christmas Stockings as a child.

Thanks so much for sharing!

This is not a stocking stuffer but one thing we do every year is get the childern one special christmas tree ordiment
Old 09-27-2009, 09:16 AM

I do a christmas ornament every year too, but I hang it on the outside of the stocking too, so it is part of the stocking gift.

For the inside, I comb sales/clearance/dollar bins all year long. I keep a drawer or bag of stocking stuffers and by the time Christmas comes around, I have a bunch of little things that I know DS will love.

I also stuff my own stocking . Mostly because there is noone else to give me one, and I LOVE stockings more than regular gifts. This year I hit up a craft store that was going out of business and everything was half off or more. I bought a couple of pairs of knitting needles, some yarn, some chocolate treats, and a few other things that I can't remember right now.

I also keep and use coupons for things like $5 off a $5 purchase. I have received and used 4 of these in the past two weeks. I don't usually find them quite so often, but when I do, I make sure I use them. I bought DS 2 books, myself a pack of yarn bobbins and a row counter (for knitting), I also bought a 3 pack of knee socks from Sears/Lands End that will go in his stocking. I had a $10 off a $10 purchase so they came out to $2.50 for three pair.

One more place that I shop for stocking stuffers is yard sales. I found some art supplies for DS's stocking at some yard sales this summer, and also a face painting kit. I have found things for myself at yard sales in the past, but didn't have much luck this year.

Stockings are my absolute favorite part of Christmas morning, and I LOVE finding things for them all year! :

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 09-27-2009, 10:14 AM

I'll usually get 1-2 items that are 'bigger' (like over $1) for each person, and then an assortment of stuff that gets shared among all stockings. For dd I like to do a kids tea, hair or jewelry thing, small legos or playmobil, and fun bandaids, stickers. For dh I like to do underwear , maybe pen or calculator for work, and his favorite anchovy stuffed olives.

I'll get one favorite candy bar for each, veggie jerky, dried fruits, nuts to fill up the rest.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 AM

I have to say I enjoy stockings more than regular presents at times. I really think they are fun to put together. With DD1 last year she got: art supplies (finger paints, markers, crayons), playdough, a small piece of candy (she rarely gets candy so it was a real treat for her) and a small stuffed animal. DD2 (all of a month and a half old at the time) got some bath toys, a teething ring, a onesie and a small stuffed animal. My husband got a toothbrush, socks, rank (yes, Im a romantic one aren't I) and a few odds and ends. I got umm, nothing. DH forgot to get me a stocking last year. I spend maybe 10-30.00 per person. Usually the older the person is the more I spend on them (the stuff I get my husband is more expensive than DDs items and less likely to be able to get on clearance).
This year I have no idea. We probably won't do them since we will be gone for Christmas.
We do give one ordament out per person per year. I have a collection of houses my mom started for me the year I was born that they still make and I still get each new one.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 09-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluhia View Post
We do an apple in the bottom, one candy bar and a tshirt, ususally funny that gets used for sleeping or yardwork. My Step Dad started the tradition of tshirts in stockings (rolled up in the leg) when I was a teen with a thsirt that said "I put the fun in dysfunctional" - my family is strange, in a good way

I recently started peruseing This Tshirt Blog to search through categories to find something I like - and they seem to link to all the tshirt places I'd never think of so, it works.
love your tradition great idea !

Grace Comes.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:44 PM

I Stockings! My fave part of the holidays!

I shop for
dh-orange, nuts, wasabi peas, shaving cream, lotto ticket, organic/fair trade coffee, a knitting pattern if I find one he'd like, new change "purse!"

ds(3)-orange, wasabi peas, fruit to go bar, this year I've got him a cow finger puppet, a dinosaur travel coloring book/crayons, book, bubbles, sidewalk chalk and I'll hit the crayola discount store

dd(just shy a year at xmas)-first xmas so i'm crocheting her some soft balls(may do ds one too), book, hair things, brush, slipper/shoes, ornament, and organic dried baby treats(which she's not had yet so that will be her first "treat")

This year I'll do one for myself, if dh doesn't pick up the slack(he never does a stocking for me,but w ds's age he may realize this year..plus I want a stocking xmas morning!)

A couple of years ago M-I-L and F-I-L stopped doing stockings for each other,but continued to do them for us, so we've started doing there stockings...really small ones but I JAM them full..we exchange gifts/stockings xmas eve morning
M-I-L-SUPER EASY! She's my easiest!-orange,nuts,sudoko book from dollar store, kit kat singles(her grandma use to buy her a kit kat every xmas, so now I do), something santa-this year it's matching mugs for her and F-I-L of santa's head. Tea bags(usually ones that we have that are wrapped individually), lotto ticket, smelly candle...then whatever I find in the cheap bins at michaels...
F-I-L-orange, nuts,McDonalds coupons, lotto ticket oriental rice cracker mix frm Bulk store, wasabi peas, shaving cream, lighter fluid,

I spend about 50 bucks on stockings...this year I'm trying to cut down..which will be difficult since I'm ADDING me and dd

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 09-27-2009, 12:53 PM

That t-shirt sites GREAT!!! I found a ton that dh would think are hilarious..I've been trying to find my cousin a present so I think I'm set! Hopefully they ship to canada!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 09-27-2009, 05:00 PM

The kids' stockings are usually filled with small, cheap, useful things. They always get a toothbrush (from the dollar store), a car ($.50-1.), bubble bath (found on sale), crayons/markers, candy, chapstick. I think this year I'm going to get them each a movie card to rent a movie as well.

Dh's a little harder. He gets a cd, toothbrush and candy.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlessings View Post
This is not a stocking stuffer but one thing we do every year is get the childern one special christmas tree ordiment
We also do this and write initials and year on it so the kids can take it with them when they move out.

Something my IL's do that I love is they wrap the stocking presents.

hh2.gif

Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 PM

We do an orange, word-puzzle book (or something similar) and writing/colouring utensils. The puzzle book keeps everyone occupied till it's time to open presents. My parents used to also put those individual cereal boxes in our stockings. The idea is that we could eat straight from the box and it would save on breakfast dishes. (My mom lamented that most of us poured it into bowls so it backfired on her - we also had more than just cereal anyway so there were always lots of dishes anyway.) We'd get a few odds and ends too and some candies but the puzzle books usually took up quite a bit of space.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 PM

I forgot, one year DH and I had no money to spend on stocking stuffers so we just picked up random things from around the house and put them in each other's stockings. It was cool to see what each of us chose. We were just as excited as we would have been with new stuff, it was the surprise that was so much fun.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.

User Tag List