Neighbors pay people to do EVERYTHING! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 10-16-2009, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe they trade. We are having our bathroom re-tiled on trade.
I have someone clean my house on trade and another person does yard work on trade. I LOVE it and would pay for the services if we had the extra dough.
Last Wednesday I was working from home and I had all three of these folks here at once. I felt like such a diva as I was eating my rice and beans!
#92 of 110 Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
p.s

depends on what your per hour rate is worth. We don't hire alot of those kind of help .... b/c I am cheap. If I were really frugal, I would hire all those kinds of helpers, b/c our net hourly pay is multiple of what it would cost to hire out, i.e I work 1 h = could buy hours of another working.

Plus if everyone did everything buy themselves, then there would be no low earning jobs available.

Then people would be complaining about that.
#93 of 110 Old 10-17-2009, 05:13 PM

In some cases, I just think that paying someone else to do it is cheaper than therapy costs or medical bills...house cleaning was a major source of conflict between DH and I before we finally decided to hire someone to clean the house twice/month. Lawn care caused DH endless anxiety in years past when he would spend every weekend stressing about how he would find the time to mow and what the neighbors must think (he works very long hours during the week, so no option to do it at the end of a work day)....then he herniated 2 discs last summer and was laid up in the house or hospital from June to Aug. I tried to keep up with it myself but between caring for DH and 2 young kids single-handedly it was nearly impossible to find 1-2 uninterrupted hours to mow the lawn, and it didn't do much good for my grass allergies either, so a lawn service was hired and I simply wouldn't let DH risk re-injuring himself again at this point to save that $.

Things like grocery shopping and cooking are a skill set of mine and I wouldn't want to farm these tasks out.That said, I've been on strict bed rest with pregnancy complications for over a week, and I may be here for 5 more months....if we could afford to have errands run, our kids shuttled around, our meals prepared, laundry done, child care attended to, home repairs/maintenance done, etc. (and if my kids weren't gluten/dairy free thus further complicating the bringing in meals thing,) I'd be throwing money at people left and right.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#94 of 110 Old 10-18-2009, 10:33 AM

If they have the money, why not? I have been looking for a cleaning lady forever but haven't found one I'm comfortable with. We also don't do our own lawn and if I had a dog and with DH deployed, then I'd pay someone to pick up poop too

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#95 of 110 Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM

I say more power to them if they can afford to have the help! There are certain things around our house I would certainly love to spend more time on, but others I would still pay someone else to do (assuming I had the money) no matter how much free time I had.

My DH works 50+ hours a week on a slow week, and is out of town Sun-Fri every other week. So we only see him for a couple hours each evening (if we are lucky) and on the weekends. So during that time, we have so many family things, appointments and other obligations to cram in that lawn care and house cleaning fall pretty low on the list. We've started to have a lawn service come weekly to cut the lawn and edge the beds. We also have a service that treats our lawn for weeds. And a once a month cleaning lady. I'm a SAHM with a newborn, 2.5 year old and 4.5 year old. I don't have the time or energy to handle all of the above as well as cook and care for my kids solo a good portion of the time. If my neighbors are peeking out the window judging me for who comes to help us out, well then I'm not that worried about not being close with them!
#96 of 110 Old 10-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
Maybe they have personal assistants they pay to set up all the "workers."

I would absolutely pay for someone to come pick up my dogs poo. In fact I have taken cards from the pet store-but never followed up with them.
I am sure they do have personal assistants! 2 of my friends work partime as personal assistants for rich Main Line (think Philadelphia Story) housewives. Some thing happens when you make that much money- you are unable to function as a normal grown up! Yes- I think I am judging!!
#97 of 110 Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I read an interesting book called "More Work For Mother" recently which talked about how women today do, in some ways, more housework than they did 100 years ago. Why? Because back in the day, doing your own housework wasn't laden with moral baggage and women who could afford it were perfectly happy to farm out work. They had servants and cooks. The doctor and tailor came to them - so did the tutors and nanny a lot of the time. So did the groceries. The washing and plain sewing were "sent out". Gardeners did the gardening. And so on. It wasn't until after WW1 that the media made a concerted effort to portray housework as brimming with Madonna-like virtues, and imply that a woman who didn't personally starch her husband's shirt collars with her own two hands didn't really love him.

Now, I'm naturally inclined towards frugality and DIYness, and it confounds me a little to think of paying someone else to weed my garden or wash my clothes - but I have to say, that book gave me pause for thought. Really, there's no reason every woman would have the talent for housecleaning and more than every woman has the talent for sculpting or chemistry; and there's no shame in getting skilled professionals to do what we can't, or even what we simply dislike doing. It's all a bit arbitrary anyway, isn't it? I bake my own bread, but "hire" someone else (by proxy) to grind it; I do some of my own sewing, but none of the weaving that makes the cloth; I planted my own garden, but hired a guy to deliver the soil because I can't drive!

I should add that I kind of oversimplified the book's premise here. It's worth reading - very interesting.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#98 of 110 Old 10-25-2009, 10:09 PM

You bet I am hiring a cleaning person once I am making enough to afford one. I HATE cleaning my house. I am in the middle of a whole house clean/de-clutter and once it is done, I am going to keep it up as well as I can, but once I am making enough in my new job to hire someone, I am absolutely going to have a cleaning person come every two weeks or so to clean the bathrooms, sweep and mop the floors, dust and straighten things up. It would be worth it to me to forgo other luxuries to have these things just done for me.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#99 of 110 Old 10-26-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
When I was in college, I babysat in the afternoons for 2 families- one on Monday, Wed and the other on Tues/Thurs- they alternated Fridays. One family had 5 boys, the other had 3 kids. Both had infants when I started. The moms did not work outside the home, one dad was a doc, the other a lawyer. Some days I would stay home with the young ones and the mom would run the older ones, some days I drove them to lessons and the mom stayed home. Some days the moms would have me start dinner, some days I would help the older ones with homework (I was an education major) etc. Anyway, by hiring me, they kept their lives from being truly chaotic and in turn, they put me through college- I could never have done it without them. I also would work doing errands for the law firm or docs office every once in a while. The money was a Godsend, the experience in running a house, breaking up conflicts, and seeing all the things invovled in children was invaluable.

Also, the mom of 5 boys breastfed all of them openly from birth till about 2. It was my first real experience with breastfeeding-I would arrive about 2:30 and she would be sitting in the chair nursing while we had our meeting on whom was doing what that afternoon. She always looked so peaceful and serene and I thought, "That is for ME". I wrote her a letter a few years ago letting her know how she influenced me to breastfeed all of my kids.
Sometimes I think we judge too much when mothers get "outside help". I'm certainly guilty of this. But an arrangement like this sounds wonderful and like something that would be great for mom (to get a break and to spend more one on one time with the kids) as well as the kids (a less stressed mom, a nanny/friend to hang out with some nights). I'm jealous!
#100 of 110 Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys View Post
I don't care. I am not judgemental. This IS the FRUGALITY website where I thought the point was to discuss FRUGALITY. I am sorry, I am in a new neighborhood where I don't know anybody and I was feeling lonely and thought it was funny that there is a company called "Scoopers: Our Business is Picking Up". I thought some other frugal mothers might too.

I really didn't want to get anybody ruffled up or anything - I just thought it was funny and that given the usual tone of this page, I could enjoy a bit of nice cybersocialization.
Actually, this is the Frugality and Finances forum, so there is discussion about frugality but also about all things financial here. Just an FYI.

I guess it's kind of funny that there is a business out there like Scoopers, but honestly, one the main reasons I wouldn't have a dog at this point is that I live in the city and don't like picking up dog poop. Love dogs, hate dog poop. I guess I am probably this company's target customer. And that's the basis of EVERY service-based business. Doing something people don't like to do, don't know how to do, or don't want to spend time doing.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#101 of 110 Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
I'm probably too frugal to actually do it, but if I had the money and could pay someone to do things like that and free up more time to spend with the kids and in my own pursuits, I would like to think I'd do it.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#102 of 110 Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to step on any toes

I just didn't know until a couple of weeks ago that you could pay people to do some of this stuff and I would never think of calling anybody to do it. I was not saying anything bad about their choices, just thought if there was anywhere on earth where people might also be surprised it was here. Sort of thought this was the diy, saving money sort of crowd...anyway, I am clearly the weird one here and also it seems being viewed as judgemental, so sorry.
Meh, I don't think you said anything rude.

We just moved. At various times, we've had a cleaning lady, lawn service, and someone to groom our pets. I just don't have time and the time I do have I want to spend it with my family. :dunno:

For our lawn service, they did aeration, fertilizing, pest treatments, etc. We still mowed, edged, etc.

I still bathe our dogs. However, if you want to see what happens when I go after a Bichon with clippers, PM and I'll send you a pic of that catastrophe. Never again!

We both work and we try to make the most of our time. Doing household chores together on weekends is also "our time" and we do enjoy it, but having a cleaning lady really helps out, especially during the week when our time is limited.

ETA-I'm not really frugal. I'm a "throw money at the problem" kind of person. It works for us.
#103 of 110 Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 AM

I've imagined myself in that situation in the future, having lots of extra dough and giving high school/college students some easy extra cash. I'm sure these services very much appreciate their business.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#104 of 110 Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 AM

If I had the money, I would hire out grocery shopping and cooking in the blink of an eye. Imagine having a personal chef who could make yummy healthy foods! Heck I'd consider spending extra even if frugal b/c it seems like such a benefit.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#105 of 110 Old 01-26-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
Actually, this is the Frugality and Finances forum, so there is discussion about frugality but also about all things financial here. Just an FYI.

I guess it's kind of funny that there is a business out there like Scoopers, but honestly, one the main reasons I wouldn't have a dog at this point is that I live in the city and don't like picking up dog poop. Love dogs, hate dog poop. I guess I am probably this company's target customer. And that's the basis of EVERY service-based business. Doing something people don't like to do, don't know how to do, or don't want to spend time doing.

what an interesting bump! i forgot about this thread and i actually think it's interesting to include the bolded after a thread is several months old, it seems like something you might bring up when a thread is active and the op is still reading, but i guess it could also be noting something for posterity's sake?

eh. who needs a signature?
#106 of 110 Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This has been a very interesting read ...

We have teenagers so we consider them our 'service personnel'. We've had lawn services in the past when they were really busy and it just wasn't worth dh's time. He could bill out work for much more than the lawn guy charged.

I figure when I pay basketball fees or gas in the car for my 18yos I am paying him to do a service around the house. He'd have to do it regardless of the money, but at least we both feel like we are getting something this way.
#107 of 110 Old 01-26-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
what an interesting bump! i forgot about this thread and i actually think it's interesting to include the bolded after a thread is several months old, it seems like something you might bring up when a thread is active and the op is still reading, but i guess it could also be noting something for posterity's sake?
I haven't been on Mothering in a while and have been catching up in all my favorite forums. I didn't post earlier because I wasn't around when the thread first started. I addressed it to the OP because, well, she is the OP. If she isn't reading her own thread, it appears other people still are. An FYI never hurt anyone.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#108 of 110 Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 PM

^I have been known do that for a thread that is like a year old and sometimes I don't even notice when I do it! If a thread is interesting to me I read and reply regardless of how old it is!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#109 of 110 Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 PM

"Dooty Calls" is the best! When recovering from a c-section back when we had disposable income, it was WELL worth the $$$$.

My dog is 88 lbs, and sometimes his poo is the size of a mountain! When he has one of those, we call it "Mount Saint DogName".
#110 of 110 Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

i also see it as a moral import to an extent.

if you have the money to employ people and you really can't or don't want to do it yourself, then spend your money employing others.

i grant you, an in-home grooming service is a niche market, btu it is still a small, local business that is worth supporting. it likely employs people who love what they do, you know?

it's not a judgement either way. DIY is awesome too. but it might not just be "spoiled rich lady" stuff.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page