~ October No-Spend Challenge ~ The treat is having money in the bank. The trick is keeping it there. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 350 Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am Vicki, have 4 girls, I did this last month, and am so proud of myself! Spent $1163 LESS in September than the month before.

My goals--Short term goals right now, and additonal $1000 in savings by the end of the month. Pay off 1 small credit card.
How I plan to do this....
Not eating out!! Once or twice a month for DH and I to have a date night, all of us out to eat only when "kids eat free". Buying necessities and really thinking about purchases outside of necessities (will wait 24 hours for anything over $10), "gasp" cutting out my paper towel addiction- been doing great on this. Having at least 2 no-drive days a week.

My key:
No Spend
No Driving
Budgeted Spending/Necessities/Thought Over Purchase
Unnecessary Spending
: Exercise Day

1st- :
2nd- :

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#62 of 350 Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM

1. no unbudgeted spending
2. $20. Half of that was necessary. I broke my sunglasses (my eyes are super sun sensitive), but I did not need to buy two pairs. I went to ROSS and found some cute Kenneth Cole and Nine West pairs.

So far:
Eating out 45/125
Groceries 21/600

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#63 of 350 Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Hi, everyone, especially Prudence, who bravely carries this thread from month to month! Thank you!

I am Amanda, part-time-WAHM to four unschooled kids and one unemployed DH. DH has been out of work since December. He is collecting unemployment, which has been enough to carry us through, and he is also working a part-time job in addition to that. We are hoping he'll have FT work soon, but making do until that happens.

It has been a long time since I posted in this thread, but I need some extra accountability. We used our EF to buy a needed car (after 10 months of going without), then relatively conscientiously used our CC to bridge a money gap. We also borrowed some money from my mom. Now we have to pay off the CC and my mom as fast as possible and build our EF back up.

Yes, I know, don't use the CC. It was not frivolous and we plan to pay it off and retire it again.

Our long term goal is to be completely debt-free including cars/mortage, and the path to that for us is to buy land and sell our house. Used to be the other way around, where we were going to sell our house and use the profit to buy land, but the market fell and now we don't have enough equity to buy land with. So our goals are now this:

1) pay off CC and my mom
2) build up EF
3) save downpayment for land
4) buy land
5) sell house
6) build small cabin on land and eventually build house on it, mortgage-free

The idea is that we would buy land and then build as close to mortgage-free as possible, with the ultimate goal of being debt-free and living relatively self-sufficiently.

The more realistic plan is that we'd be building up savings to carry us through for as long as possible if DH's unemployment runs out before he can get a job. Either way, we'll be glad for that savings.

I won't be coming here every day to record everything, but I will try to check in a couple of times this month and post something. I have been doing this long enough that I'm feeling good about how I spend. I just need to extra-tighten the budget until the CC is paid off.

This month (and the coming months) I vow not to buy anything, not even Christmas presents, unless I have the money in the bank and it's not already assigned to something else AND it's unavoidable that it needs to be purchased now. I will move "extra" money rapidly into the CC or EF to remove the temptation of spending it.

I will not buy any groceries but the essentials. This month that means stocking up on apples, raisins, rice, flour, a few sale items, and lemon juice. I will also need baking oil, eggs, and hopefully will find a good deal on some more meat for the freezer. Otherwise, we're eating cheap from pantry.

I will do my best not to waste food - use up leftovers before they go bad, plan leftovers in advance, make sure to offer leftovers to kids and DH.

I will stay out of stores so I am not tempted to spend on anything.

I will spend money only on what is budgeted or needed, and the rest of the money will go to the CC. I have $1000 in the EF and that will suffice to hold us while I pay off the CC and my mom. Then I will build up the EF more.

I will spend planned money on music lessons/classes/events and homeschooling group dues. I will probably buy more PBS/SaCD credits (for homeschooling ). Otherwise I'm pretty confident that we can get through the month without spending.

I will spend much time counting my blessings and reminding myself of all that we do have. I will practice recognizing all the areas where we are absolutely RICH. We have all the warm clothes and bedding we need for winter, oil prices are down compared to last year, we have a full pantry, lots of fun games and amusements at our house, we have accumulated money-saving self-sufficiency items, we have good relationships with people who give us hand-me-downs and garden gleanings and other things, we have two cars in good working order, we did our roof a few years ago, all six of us have health insurance, I have most of what we need for Christmas, and we basically have "everything" we need. I do not need more than that.

I will use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without. I will shop at home first. I will practice gratitude. I will pinch pennies.

So that's me.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#64 of 350 Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in... trying to pay off the credit card bill from this summer's excesses...

October is "No Shopping" month for me. We just moved, so there are a few planned purchases that I have in mind, stuff for around the house, but I will not buy anything on impulse, zero internet shopping and nothing I didn't talk to DP about in September.

I am TTC and just started seeing a naturopath so that is going to eat up all of my disposable income anyway. I'm putting $800 per paycheque on my credit card and my goal is not to use it AT ALL. For October, my mastercard does not exist.

I will bring a lunch to work every day and I'm giving myself a maximum of $20 per week on snacks/coffee. I will try for dinner-at-home 5 nights a week.

Oct 1 - put $800 on mastercard, spent $0, at home
Oct 2 - spent $2 on a snack
Oct 3 - at restaurant
Oct 4 -
Oct 5 -
Oct 6 - registration for a class, $95 (planned expense but ouch); $4 snack; Dinner out $17
Oct 7 -
Oct 8 - $4 snack
Oct 9 -
Oct 10 - $2 snack
Oct 11 -
Oct 12 - dinner out, spent $40 on beer for guests (unplanned and over budget)
Oct 13 - snacks $4 + $5 (second one was silly)
Oct 14 -
Oct 15 - payday + got damage deposit back. Savings account back to $1000 snack $2
Oct 16 - forgot to bring lunch, $9 from snack budget for lunch
Oct 17 - no unplanned spending
Oct 18 - takeout sushi
Oct 19 - $5 snack
Oct 20 - $6 snack, supper out, $3 snack
Oct 21 - $6 snack
Oct 22 - $4 snack
Oct 23 - $4 snack, supper out
Oct 24 - no unplanned spending
Oct 25 - oopsy. Went SHOPPING. Gloves $14, Pants $40 (2 pairs), Belt $23, lingerie $85 total $162. I did need the gloves, pants and belt but should have waited until November. I have no excuse for the lingerie.
Oct 26 - no spend.

snacks - $62/$80
supper out - 6/8
Unplanned spending: $207

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#65 of 350 Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 PM

No Spend
Budgeted/necessary Spending
Unnecessary Spending

Goals
3 out days

01- 40.00 gas still though
02- 50lbs of potatoes for 15.00...BUT then dh spent 20 bucks on smokes

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#66 of 350 Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 PM

October 1 - ($10 Breakfast & Lunch)
October 2 - ($12 lunch)

My goals and key:

$625 Groceries/Household items
$22/$100 Frivolous Spending (including lunches at work)
- No Spend
- Budgeted Spending
- Unbudgeted Spending
#67 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 01:55 AM

1 $19 eating out
2 $8 not needed junk food food&gas 25/125

No Spend / Needed Speding
$27

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#68 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 01:59 AM

I'm Tiffany. WAHM to 2 kiddos, homeschooling, dave ramsey follower. We need to get back on the wagon..no debt except mortgage, but need a larger emergency fund. so no spending unless previously decided upon and budgeted in. If I didn't budget it in ahead of time, it probably wasn't that important.

Oct:
1 -
2-
#69 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 02:02 AM

So happy to find you!

a. Who you are
I'm Bethany, and I'm a SAHM by day and a professor by night. I have one DD who is 2 and a DH. October is a weird month for us b/c it is the one month each year that I don't get paid (weird contract system). We have been doing awful with spending and going over our budgeted spending amount.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

We have a separate checking account that we send $1000 out of which all groceries, gas, supplies, gifts, clothing, anything that is not a bill comes out of. I want to keep our groceries to $500. I am so tired of spending so money on food and silly stuff like fru-fru coffee drinks.

c. How you plan to get there
I am going to clip coupons, shop the loss leaders once a week at the different area stores (WITH A LIST!). NO SPUR OF THE MOMENT GROCERY SHOPPING. This is the big key for us. No "I need ice cream" trips that end up with a 60 odd dollar bill (and often, NO ice cream). I am not going to have coffee out. SIGH. That one is hard. If I have money left in the account at the end of the month, I am going to order fru-fru latte syrup online to make my own at home taste better.

Oct. 1--Spent $110 on groceries (3 stores, over $80 worth of coupons, sales, and other savings!!! YAY! We are set for meat for the month now, I think, and we will easily make it until the next shopping day.
Oct. 2--Spent $138 at Cost Co (our usual monthly bill is $250, so I'm really proud of myself!) Set with eggs and other staples.
#70 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 AM

a. Kim here - PT WOHM/PT WAHM/PT SAHM w/ 2 fabulous kiddos (DD-5 + DS-3) + 1 fantastic DH who works FT + is in school FT; we are homeschooling too, so tend to be a bit busy, but are having a blast!

b. Short-term: keep budget in the black + funnel extra $ to savings, Mid-term: pay off all debt aside from mortgage + acquire a camp w/out debt, Long-term: pay off mortage x2 (2 houses)

c. Increase mindfulness of spending; practice gratitude for all we have; increase organization; post a list of free (or nearly) fun things to do on the fridge; feed the freezer w/ quick meals to fight the "let's just go out to get something..." urge...

Fell off with the posting a bit in September as our schedules got super busy; will try harder to check in frequently (I really need it!) in October. Best of luck all!
#71 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Off to run a 10-K in the rain (first time I ever recall seeing the NOAA forecast as "100%" chance of rain). Should be too soggy and wiped to spend today; wahoo!

Take good care,
Kim

Oct. 1:
Oct. 2:

No Spend/Spend w/in Budget: 2/27
Grocery/Eating Out: $to update/$600
Exercise (happier me = less spending): 1/27
Organize (saner me = less spending): 1/27
Debt Blasting: $232,894/$235K Oct. Goal (debt paid off since start of snowball on 2/15/08)
#72 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 09:14 AM

01: $0!!
02: Necessary/grocery spending ($200 to renew car permit, ouch! $3.75 for eggs)....Well, DH and I went out yesterday and did a little more shopping. We spent $15.88 on clothes and some food items (the clothes were for the kids for Christmas and cheaper than the thrift stores!). We returned something that brought us $about $14 back.
03: Approx. $100 on groceries and laundry detergent ($1.99 for detergent and we should get 80 loads out of each bottle, bought 6. I also got 14 packages of cheese since it was a super buy and I had coupons). I shouldn't need to shop at all next week except our budgeted meal out. Expect to see a lot of $0
#73 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 11:24 AM

10/01:
10/02:

2/20 No-spend days
$0/$100 Frivolous spending

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#74 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 11:42 AM

I am a little bit nervous about staying on budget today. The weekends are killers for me. DH and I go out to run errands and then we stop extra places or get hungry and go for food etc... This is going to be the hardest habit to break. Today we NEED to go to the RV store, post office, and tool store. All for budgeted items.

I am going to get dressed and go make some scrambled eggs to curb the urge to go for breakfast. We have leftover dinner from last night that would be a good lunch so.... We just have to STICK TO IT! Wish me luck!

~Loved Wife & Blessed Mama to 7~
#75 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Off to spend some money. My clothes are a wreck and I could really use some new pants. I am going to do a circuit of the thrift stores and see if I can find a pair or two.

ETA -- success! Found one pair of terrific pants (brand new w/tags), a lovely skirt, a jacket and a couple of books for $18.55. That should keep me going for a while.

Oct 1 --
Oct 2 --
Oct 3 -- 18.55 thrift store clothes
Oct 4 --
Oct 5 --
Oct 6 --
Oct 7 --

600/2250.00 savings (extra paycheck this month)
100.22/600.00 groceries/household stuff
100.00 ds's birthday/Halloween

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#76 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 03:28 PM

I was taken aback this morning by the dearth of meat in our freezer. So I made a special trip to the discount store in search of frozen sausage or anything else good. I was hungry and craving sugar, but I did not buy anything bad. Yes, it was an extra trip to town, but I took the cheap gas car and avoided great frustration by getting this done without kids in tow.

I bought: 12# natural hamburger, 9 pkgs organic chicken sausages, three packages of organic uncured pepperoni (pizza for the kids), a case of breakfast bars for DH (I avoid convenience food, but DH buys these anyway, so it's better that I buy them for him for cheap), eight dozen local eggs, and four bottles of good apple cider vinegar. All that cost me $117. I still need to pick up my bulk deals at the co-op, but it was pouring rain and the parking lot was full so I'll get those a different day.

I did not buy almond milk (cheap and yum, but it would have me making delicious, sweet "mama drinks" that my budget and waist can't afford). I did not buy chocolate. I did not buy anything with sugar in it. I came home and had a bowl of the stew I made earlier from a bit of leftover meat, garden veggies, and the free potatoes we got from our local farmer (we got 3-1/2 bushels of them - they should last awhile). Yay me for being strong and frugal, and not weak and frivolous!

And I've decided that prudently "provisioning" my wardrobe from the thrift shop as needed when I find good, practical deals is always acceptable if I have the money. I don't get clothing cravings like I do food cravings, and I think I ordinarily am very frugal WRT clothing. The thrift shop is next to the discount store and I left with three long skirts and a shirt for $21.

Edited to add this:

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#77 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 05:35 PM

I am Vicki, have 4 girls, I did this last month, and am so proud of myself! Spent $1163 LESS in September than the month before.

My goals--Short term goals right now, and additonal $1000 in savings by the end of the month. Pay off 1 small credit card.
Not eating out!! Once or twice a month for DH and I to have a date night, all of us out to eat only when "kids eat free". Buying necessities and really thinking about purchases outside of necessities (will wait 24 hours for anything over $10), "gasp" cutting out my paper towel addiction- been doing great on this. Having at least 2 no-drive days a week.

My key:
No Spend
No Driving
Unnecessary Spending

1st- :
2nd- :
3rd- :

#78 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 07:24 PM

October 1 - ($10 Breakfast & Lunch)
October 2 - ($12 lunch)
October 3 - ($226 Groceries)

My goals and key:

$226/$625 Groceries/Household items
$22/$100 Frivolous Spending (including lunches at work)

- No Spend
- Budgeted Spending
- Unbudgeted Spending
#79 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM

=No Spend Day!
=No Spending outside of Prewritten Budget
=Unnecessary Spending
=Not Budgeted but Needed
=No drive days

50.10/566.10 Paid to Hospital
50.00/500.00 To Emergency Fund
2/10 No drive days

1-
2- Paid Bills Ordered Floradix (in budget for the week)
3- $39 Gas, $205 Home Improvement $25 Dinner Out
4-
5-
6-
7-Grocery Day 0/125
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-Grocery Day 0/125
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-Grocery Day 0/125
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-Grocery Day 0/125
29-
30-
31-

~Loved Wife & Blessed Mama to 7~
#80 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Goals:
1/12 - "no spend" days
0/3 - Eating Dinner out days

Spending Goals:
$449.00/500.00 for groceries
$0.00/100.00 for halloween spending

Key:
- no spending
- budgeted spending
- unbugeted spending
- unbudgeted & emergency spending

October
1 -
2 -
3 - ($307 at Costco & $142 at the grocer)

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#81 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 PM

1-$0
2-$0
3-$70 bday gift, winter stuff for the kids; $150 shoes for everyone; $10 canning supplies
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-payday
15-
16-payday
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-payday
29-
30-payday
31-
#82 of 350 Old 10-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Kind of bummed I fell off the wagon today, but just with 24 cents. I didn't really need the items either. I was just "looking" at the clearance section. I must stay out of clearance sections.

1 -
2-
3-
#83 of 350 Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

24 cents!

Tiffany -- That is not falling off the wagon, that is merely riding the wagon over a bump.

#84 of 350 Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Apparently my strategy for this month is to spend all the money I have now, so that by the end of the month there is nothing left to spend. I'll have a nice long string of no-spend days once we are bRoKe.

---> at myself.

I went shopping for clothes and really had to fight to prevent myself from buying some $100 Pajar boots and a $300 North Face jacket.

Seriously??? I have boots already and I bought a new (very nice) winter coat last year. I would have to dip into our savings to buy these things.

Those of you who were with us last month -- I just bought a $140 raincoat LAST month. Do I need more winter gear???? No.

I don't know why I do this. This is compulsive shopping at its finest.

I'm really glad I have this thread to come on here and talk about this stuff. Because writing it down here in brown and white really makes me see how ridiculous it was for me to be trying that jacket on. Much less buying it.

My closet is literally bursting at the seams right now. I probably should be consigning some of that stuff. Then if I sell it, I can use the consignment money if I want to buy new stuff for myself.

Today should be a good day -- I'm running a half-marathon in the morning so I'll be too tired to shop this afternoon.

01.. $61 for kid winter gear from Sierra Trading Post
03.. $51 yet more clothes for me, $14 yoga book

My Goals:

1/20 No Spend days
0/5 Let the car rest days

#85 of 350 Old 10-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Off to church shortly, then on a pumpkin purchasing jaunt. Lots of free fun @ the pumpkin farm, where we can play w/ farm animals + hike all about. Will be heading to Target, but plan to stick with the boring list (cat litter, cat food, lightbulbs...).

Enjoy the day!

Take good care,
Kim

Oct. 1:
Oct. 2:
Oct. 3:

No Spend/Spend w/in Budget: 3/27
Grocery/Eating Out: $to update/$600
Exercise (happier me = less spending): 2/27
Organize (saner me = less spending): 2/27
Debt Blasting: $232,894/$235K Oct. Goal (debt paid off since start of snowball on 2/15/08)
#86 of 350 Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 AM

No Spend
Budgeted/necessary Spending
Unnecessary Spending

Goals
3 out days

01- 40.00 gas still though
02- 50lbs of potatoes for 15.00...BUT then dh spent 20 bucks on smokes
03-

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#87 of 350 Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, my no-spend plan is seeing a little spending this weekend. We are headed out to go camping tonight, our first family trip of the summer. I know it is technically fall and we are lame that this is the first time we have gotten out as a family. Anyway, the weather is gorgeous and I am willing to spend $20 on a campsite and much needed time away.

Oct 1 --
Oct 2 --
Oct 3 -- 18.55 thrift store clothes
Oct 4 -- $20 campsite
Oct 5 --
Oct 6 --
Oct 7 --

600/2250.00 savings (extra paycheck this month)
120.22/600.00 groceries/household stuff
100.00 ds's birthday/Halloween

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#88 of 350 Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post
Apparently my strategy for this month is to spend all the money I have now, so that by the end of the month there is nothing left to spend. I'll have a nice long string of no-spend days once we are bRoKe.
My strategy too.

10/3 $110 groceries.

Will post the full update later. Keep getting stuck on little things like buying my mom headphones so she can use my old ipod. I really want to do this! And pay my library fines so I can get out more books. HELLO, the car is in the shop right now because the Check Engine light was on! And we still have to pay the doula! Not to mention Christmas and DD's birthday. Will someone please tell me we have NO MONEY?
#89 of 350 Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Going to Sams and Target. Wish me luck.

From
Kate:

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#90 of 350 Old 10-04-2009, 04:24 PM

My key:
No Spend
No Driving
Unnecessary Spending

Groceries $177

1st- :
2nd- :
3rd- :
4th-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page