October Low-Income Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Frugality & Finances > October Low-Income Thread
cwat's Avatar cwat 10:33 PM 10-12-2009
You know you're poor when...

you find $5 on the ground and you are thinking about the tp and napkins you can buy with it, instead of the junkfood you would normally buy with it

Krystal323's Avatar Krystal323 01:23 AM 10-13-2009
haha--i'd add to the funnies if my brain was operational right now

so i'm stuck writing a paper tonight, and scarmbling to buy a textbook for my next class that starts tomorrow i'm 37 weeks pregnant, and they're 5 week online classes. I am guaranteed to have a baby in the middle of this course. I reely wanted to take a break, but financial aid would take longer to disburse if i did (and the amount would be reduced), so I have to keep plugging away

well i better get started....just wanted to come whine a bit first.
ediesmom's Avatar ediesmom 09:54 AM 10-13-2009
:snicker

you know youre poor when you call and declare a medical issue so they wont turn your lights off. i DO have a medical issue....but, really, i have never kept my insulin in the fridge.

and, you know youre poor when you wear more clothing to bed than you wear out during the day

anyway....its tuesday. always a busy day here.

i had a drs appt yesterday...a new gyn for an intense issue....so, i get there on time, check in, do the vitals, etc.... 25 minutes later i go to the desk to let them know i had been forgotten. they told me that the dr's patients had shown up early and he was just finishing up, it would just be a few minutes. 25 minutes after THAT, i go back up to let them know i was STILL waiting, and was given the same line of crap....when i asked what a few minutes meant there? 3 or 30? i was told about 15-20:no

i let her know i was leaving....and she actually asked if id like to reschedule:rofl

so, i need to get a referral to a DIFFERENT gyn.....my pcp isn't going to be impressed.

have a good day mamas
Purple Sage's Avatar Purple Sage 10:37 AM 10-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
I'm hoping some one on this thread can help me with a WIC issue.

I'm immune compromised, and DD is healthy. With the H1N1 going around I'm under orders to avoid contact with the general public and avoid sites they are going to be giving the vax at. We're currently only going to the grocery twice a month and that's probably going to go to once a month as flu season worsens.

I need to get her signed back up for WIC, as we just discovered that our food stamps are going to be cut in december, so we are trying to stock up as much as possible before then because our state is taking 45-60 days to recertify for food stamps currently.

I don't have anyone else who can take DD to WIC to certify her, and they are giving the flumist at our WIC clinic, so I can't take her either. We are in TX and have the EBT card for benefits and no one seems to know how to certify without going in with the EBT card. I know they used to just mail the vouchers {we've done this before}. Does anyone know how to do this?

DD was just in to the pedi for a checkup, so they can call the pedi for height and weight etc if I can figure out how to get the WIC benefits loaded on the card and do everything else over the phone. They keep telling me to "find a proxy that I trust" and I don't have anyone to use as a proxy.
Will they let you mail in the card and then mail it back to you? Or would your doctor be okay with you wearing a mask to the WIC office?
Satori's Avatar Satori 02:46 PM 10-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post
:snicker

you know youre poor when you call and declare a medical issue so they wont turn your lights off. i DO have a medical issue....but, really, i have never kept my insulin in the fridge.
We have medical baseline, it doesn't stop them from turning it off. I still got a 48 hour notice although ironically they gave me till the 19th on the 48 hour notice, not complaining but thats more then 48 hours The bill isn't huge, just not sure where I'm gonna get the money. Heck, I don't even know if I'm going to have the $6 to ride the bus today, hoping to get to the recycling center before it starts raining (wind shield wipers arn't working, dad is gonna look at them this morning)

So, anyone have advice for riding the bus in bad weather? I haven't rode the bus in like 10 years and of course the 1st day I have to its going to be cold and rainy and were having wind gusts of 60+ mph. Today I have finals for an 8 week class and I don't know if the teacher will let me turn in all the work next week when I start another class with her. I emailed her and asked but I still have tomorrow to deal with as the weather won't clear for a couple of days.
shayinme's Avatar shayinme 03:17 PM 10-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
So, anyone have advice for riding the bus in bad weather? I haven't rode the bus in like 10 years and of course the 1st day I have to its going to be cold and rainy and were having wind gusts of 60+ mph. Today I have finals for an 8 week class and I don't know if the teacher will let me turn in all the work next week when I start another class with her. I emailed her and asked but I still have tomorrow to deal with as the weather won't clear for a couple of days.
I grew up in Chicago where riding public transit was a norm regardless of one's financial situation. In bad weather I wore extra layers of clothes since waiting for a bus could be 5-15 mins, if its rainy I would wear a rain coat/boots and carry an umbrella. If you don't have a raincoat/boots, just wear something you don't mind getting soaked in and carry a change of clothes in your bag.

Shay
kbond's Avatar kbond 09:43 PM 10-13-2009
Quote:

I've been car-free out in Seattle for 3 years, where rain is a regular occurrence, so my advice is geared more towards rain and cold. But, really, the best thing is to layer and then wear a long coat.

As for the person with the WIC issue, if it's a certification or recert meeting, I think they are required to have the child in the office for those meetings so it might be that you really do have to find a way to get your child into the office.
Marlet's Avatar Marlet 09:46 PM 10-13-2009
Just got back from the dentist. Thank heavens the girls' are on Medicaid/dental! We've been working on DD1's teeth for awhile now. Slowly but surely. Her last appointment (and only her second to date) was horrendous. I was so unimpressed. We had chosen the guy because we knew him and DD1 was comfortable with him. He was not a pediatric dentist and I should have taken the hint. He mentioned more than once we could go to one. Should have seen the lack of confidence in that. Anyhow, it's been afew months since she's been in and due to her complaining her teeth hurt I took her in today. I was lucky to get in today. Anyhow, we have a recommendation to put her under and get it all done at once since it's so extensive. She has soft enamel so the cavities that were there just went nuts in the time it took us to get back in. This guy is sooooo much better. I feel so much better about him and the care she'll be getting. I just wish I hadn't waited so long. She has so many things needing to be done (including a couple baby root canals She's only 4.5!) that we'll do it all in one fell swoop with her asleep. I was leaning towards that anyway but he flat out said he'd prefer to do it that way as well. He has 4 kids himself and tries to think in regards to what he'd do. She currently isn't afraid of the dentist so he'd like to keep it that way. He'd also like to not allow any more time to pass for things to get worse. He just did a basic look in her mouth today and was honest...based on what he sees the course of action is simple. Just large amounts. He did say there is a possibility they may have to pull some teeth (and put in spacers to avoid crowding issues). I am really wishing I had gotten them on Medicaid sooner and gone to this guy in the first place. He's redoing the same teeth the former dentist did this last visit! Hindsight sucks.
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 11:12 PM 10-13-2009
Oh mamas, I am so torn right now. I am loving my job, but today I just found out that there is a full time position opening up in the beginning of November. I would LOVE to take it and said so at work today, but I am so worried about how it would all work. I realized that I would pretty much never see DS except for in the mornings and then to bring him home, give him dinner and then get him off to bed. I would see him on the weekends, but I take 2 classes that each meet once every 3 weeks, so pretty much every other weekend, I will be gone for 9 hours straight. He would see so little of me until next summer.

I so desperately want to make enough money to get us off assistance. I also even more desperately want to graduate. I also even more desperately than that want DS to be happy and healthy.

I just can't figure out what to do. I want to work, and am so afraid that a position won't open up next summer when I will be ready for one. I love the people that I work with and if a new position opens up, chances are, it would be at another center with the same company. I just wish this job were available next June. Help!
Satori's Avatar Satori 02:05 AM 10-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
I grew up in Chicago where riding public transit was a norm regardless of one's financial situation. In bad weather I wore extra layers of clothes since waiting for a bus could be 5-15 mins, if its rainy I would wear a rain coat/boots and carry an umbrella. If you don't have a raincoat/boots, just wear something you don't mind getting soaked in and carry a change of clothes in your bag.

Shay
Thanks! Don't have a rain coat or boots, I do have a heavy coat with goretex but its still a bit warm for it since the coat is made for sub zero temps and its still in the 40-50's. I did bring an umbrella though, amazingly though that 100% chance of rain brought nothing and is now down to 0% although we did hit rain going though the desert about 20-30 miles from here. I should probably figure out a change of clothes, I usually keep them in the car but space is limited in the back pack. I need to get one of those rolling backpacks, my bag is already killing my back with just my anatomy books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlet View Post
Just got back from the dentist.
I know its scary but its better to get it done in one fell swoop while there asleep rather then traumatize them for hours while they drill. My 3 yr old had to get work on every tooth in her mouth on top I think last year including a 2 baby root canals and they had to pull both eye teeth after they shattered to the gum line plus she's got caps on her 2 front teeth. It wasn't that big of a deal although her mouth was sore for a couple of days but it wasn't anything motrin couldn't handle. Also, don't let them fool you, medicaid will pay for tooth colored crowns/caps for front teeth so if they tell you they want to put in silver caps thats just the dentist looking out for his profit margin rather then your child's appearance. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Oh mamas, I am so torn right now. I am loving my job, but today I just found out that there is a full time position opening up in the beginning of November.
Take the job, millions of women work full time and make it work, you gotta be able to take care of your child and right now if I remember your really struggling on only part time. I know its scary but you gotta do what you gotta do.
mamafuko's Avatar mamafuko 02:17 AM 10-14-2009
I feel like an interloper. I'm not low-income anymore, but just a few years ago I was struggling to finish my Ph.D. as a newly divorced, single mom, and you all remind me of how many challenges I faced to get where I am. I didn't really see it at the time. I was just in it trying to survive.

Pumpkin Pie, what a dilemma! A full-time job sounds so tempting. But if you had all the faith in the world in yourself and your ability to find another full-time job in a year, what would you do? My priority would be my child, my education, and my job in that order. I have students in my classes who come from poverty and I see over and over again them sacrificing decades and decades of their futures for the sake of short-term gain by devoting too much of their time and energy on jobs they don't even like to make money (often squandering it on i-phones and luxuries like that). I think, if only they could last just a year or two more in hardship, they could have an official degree, which is so significant in the job world. Once they get that, they will always have it. But at the same time, you like where you work, and the full time job could truly be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Good luck making a decision. It doesn't sound like it'll be easy.

All you mamas here rock! You all are persevering through so many challenges. I hope you're getting support, love, and once in a while a break.
Satori's Avatar Satori 02:39 AM 10-14-2009
I forgot to ask, I learned 2 things on the bus, they really really need shock absorbers because all the bouncing was making me and then when some smokers got on the bus the smell made me want to :Puke I don't like the smell of cigs anyway but in an enclosed space? Seriously, I was gagging and worried I was gonna have to tell the driver to pull over so I can puke. Can't believe I used to be a heavy smoker (2 packs a day), now just the smell makes me sick. So, any advice for motion sickness on the bus and what can I do to cover up the smokers smell that wont offend everyone else? (ie, not wearing perfume or something). I actually considered putting Vicks under my nose next time to help cover the smell. Between the bumpy ride and the smell I spent my time with my eyes closed trying not to throw up rather then the studying I had planned.

oh yeah, I also learned its pitch black on the bus at night, they don't turn on the lights so the only light I had to work with was from my netbook.
Ianthe's Avatar Ianthe 02:52 AM 10-14-2009
Satori- where they smoking ON the bus?
Marlet's Avatar Marlet 03:10 AM 10-14-2009
Good to know Satori. Luckily, all the caps will be in the back. I just hate the way it looks. Totally superficial but it just looks.....cheap. I think if she were younger I'd push for the tooth colored ones but she's 4.5.....she's bound to start loosing teeth soon enough. The ones that need the root canals are the ones that will be covered. He said the one (possibly two) on her back right side might be the ones that get extracted. The cavitiy is so deep/ingrained he can see a spot from it on her gumline.

I know it's lame but I don't want to feel judged about her teeth care. We brush multiple times a day. They only get water at night. Other than an occasional juice they don't really drink sweet stuff. I know it's genetics but grr. I was so worried they would try and claim baby bottle rot/night nursing at the first dentist. Luckily, they could tell it wasn't. It's sad to me that that is even a concern of mine. Oh well! She's getting the work done she needs, she won't be traumatized/afraid of the dentist, and better yet.....I don't need to put it off because I can't pay for it! Such a huge relief to know that it can be done without clever budgeting yk?

I just wish they could get her in sooner. I'm glad they can't because that means they aren't stretching themselves thin but at the same time I just want her mouth to not be an issue for her.
Satori's Avatar Satori 03:44 AM 10-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Satori- where they smoking ON the bus?
No but it gets into there clothes, hair and skin and makes them REEK even worse then regular outside smoke even if they don't know it (it just accumulates on there stuff so the smell is stronger then just being out around someone who is smoking). When I was a smoker I didn't realize just how bad I smelled to everyone else until about a year after I quit and could actually smell it.

Thankfully smokers are a dying breed around here since its illegal in so many places and its just not seen as accepted much here in CA like it is in other states. I was shocked when we visited MO and they actually had smoking sections in restaurants, I had no idea any place even allowed smoking inside public places anymore. Here you can't even smoke in a bar and a number of cities have more or less banned public smoking period.
Peacemamalove's Avatar Peacemamalove 09:19 AM 10-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Oh mamas, I am so torn right now. I am loving my job, but today I just found out that there is a full time position opening up in the beginning of November. I would LOVE to take it and said so at work today, but I am so worried about how it would all work. I realized that I would pretty much never see DS except for in the mornings and then to bring him home, give him dinner and then get him off to bed. I would see him on the weekends, but I take 2 classes that each meet once every 3 weeks, so pretty much every other weekend, I will be gone for 9 hours straight. He would see so little of me until next summer.

I so desperately want to make enough money to get us off assistance. I also even more desperately want to graduate. I also even more desperately than that want DS to be happy and healthy.

I just can't figure out what to do. I want to work, and am so afraid that a position won't open up next summer when I will be ready for one. I love the people that I work with and if a new position opens up, chances are, it would be at another center with the same company. I just wish this job were available next June. Help!
s I was faced with this when my son was 1 1/2 and I chose to work so I would be able to afford things we needed and get off assistance it was wonderful for us and very freeing! We felt like we were getting somewhere and I wasn't depressed as much thinking about all the bills etc. etc. that needed to get paid!
Kino's Avatar Kino 01:35 PM 10-14-2009
I was at Goodwill yesterday, and at least here in AZ, there is a .99 cent sale happening Saturday and Sunday. It's only on winter clothing and a certain color tag.

Saturday is also 50% day here. They are having a "treasure hunt" where if you spend $100 between 4 Goodwills this weekend they give a $10 off coupon. Not the greatest deal, but if you really need some things and go on a 50% day it could be worth it to someone.
apmomsocal's Avatar apmomsocal 10:53 PM 10-14-2009
My dh was laid off in August due to lack of work. He found out that the company recently called back one guy that was laid off, and also hired 2 new guys to do the exact same job. They are supposed to call him back before hiring new people. I'm so depressed over this. We are so stretched financially right now, and here they screw us.
Pumpkin_Pie's Avatar Pumpkin_Pie 11:00 PM 10-14-2009
Can he call them up and ask what happened? Is there any chance they "lost" his phone number? I don't know if I would want to go back to a company that did that to me, but I would at least want an explanation. I am so sorry that happened to you DH.

On a fun note here: I picked up two perfectly ripe organic mangoes off the reduced price produce rack at a grocery store tonight for 94 cents! Wah Hoo!!!
kbond's Avatar kbond 12:22 AM 10-15-2009
Quote:
I forgot to ask, I learned 2 things on the bus, they really really need shock absorbers because all the bouncing was making me and then when some smokers got on the bus the smell made me want to :Puke I don't like the smell of cigs anyway but in an enclosed space? Seriously, I was gagging and worried I was gonna have to tell the driver to pull over so I can puke. Can't believe I used to be a heavy smoker (2 packs a day), now just the smell makes me sick. So, any advice for motion sickness on the bus and what can I do to cover up the smokers smell that wont offend everyone else? (ie, not wearing perfume or something). I actually considered putting Vicks under my nose next time to help cover the smell. Between the bumpy ride and the smell I spent my time with my eyes closed trying not to throw up rather then the studying I had planned.
When I was riding the bus while morning sick, I found the following things to help me with nausea and the smell of other people:
(a) a piece of cloth dipped in lemon water, ginger, or mint that I could place under my nose;
(b) an actual lemon wedge that I could suck on a little and smell; or
(c) sucking on a mint.
Satori's Avatar Satori 02:37 AM 10-15-2009
Any other CA mama's frustrated with the new WIC packages? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the new package but I was about to rip my hair out at the store today. I wanted to get a mix of soy milk, the pacific and the 8th to see which we liked better but the store only had the 8th so I now have 7, 1/2 gal cartons of it. The clerk helping me was nice enough to go search in the back and found me some thats good till mid December. Then I went on the hunt for Corn Tortilla's, 6 million choices but only 1 met WIC's requirements and it was on a shelf I couldn't even see. Thankfully said clerk was tall Then it was off to pick another grain, I decided to go with instant/quick cooking brown rice which for some reason wasn't going though even though it was wic approved. The only thing that would go though is the brown rice that takes forever to cook so they went and grabbed another thing of tortilla's. Then it was off to find juice that didn't have apple or grape. I wanted grapefruit or cranberry so both kids could drink it (allergy issues) but not a single one on the shelf met wic requirements. I ended up getting V8, no idea if the kids will even touch it but since I wanted the other stuff on the check it was use it or lose it. If nothing else, my mom likes V8, I know I sure as heck don't. oh and get this, this one has me ticked, in CA only homeless people can get canned beans when I asked why mine specified dried. I live at high altitude and don't have a pressure cooker. You can cook beans for 24 hours on high in a crockpot and they will still be crunchy! Dried beans aren't good for much beyond kiddy artwork unless your making pinto bean soup. I was planning to get canned garbanzo's to make hummus
Ianthe's Avatar Ianthe 03:36 AM 10-15-2009
Quote:
Any other CA mama's frustrated with the new WIC packages? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the new package but I was about to rip my hair out at the store today. I wanted to get a mix of soy milk, the pacific and the 8th to see which we liked better but the store only had the 8th so I now have 7, 1/2 gal cartons of it. The clerk helping me was nice enough to go search in the back and found me some thats good till mid December. Then I went on the hunt for Corn Tortilla's, 6 million choices but only 1 met WIC's requirements and it was on a shelf I couldn't even see. Thankfully said clerk was tall Then it was off to pick another grain, I decided to go with instant/quick cooking brown rice which for some reason wasn't going though even though it was wic approved. The only thing that would go though is the brown rice that takes forever to cook so they went and grabbed another thing of tortilla's. Then it was off to find juice that didn't have apple or grape. I wanted grapefruit or cranberry so both kids could drink it (allergy issues) but not a single one on the shelf met wic requirements. I ended up getting V8, no idea if the kids will even touch it but since I wanted the other stuff on the check it was use it or lose it. If nothing else, my mom likes V8, I know I sure as heck don't. oh and get this, this one has me ticked, in CA only homeless people can get canned beans when I asked why mine specified dried. I live at high altitude and don't have a pressure cooker. You can cook beans for 24 hours on high in a crockpot and they will still be crunchy! Dried beans aren't good for much beyond kiddy artwork unless your making pinto bean soup. I was planning to get canned garbanzo's to make hummus
I'm not in CA, but the transition has been hard at first here too. The only store in town doesn't have the best WIC selection. The only grains I can choose from are corn tortillas or instant brown rice too (they don't have reg. brown rice even!).

Does anyone go to Target for their WIC? I see that Target's brand is approved, but I still feel weird about using it there.
Jyotsna's Avatar Jyotsna 06:38 AM 10-15-2009
That is such a nasty word, and it terrifies me, but the truth is that I have 4 days left in my home. I have tried to get an extention so that I would have time to get money together for a house or apartment, but my landlord will not give it to me. I'm terrified of what will happen if I don't get my things out of the house by Monday evening. My ex has not paid the child support this month yet (apparently his employer can choose to set the garnishment to come out at the end of the month?). Here we are on the 15th, and no money in the system, means no check coming to me. And when it does come, I won't be here to get it!

I have no idea what to do. The packing is going very slow. I was sick from Sunday night to still right now with a cold. It has made packing difficult when all I could do was sleep the first day. I would get up and make the kids a meal, then go back to sleep without eating. I have taken 4000 mg of vit C every day since Sunday night. I am just now able to breathe again, so at least I can start packing again.

Anyone know how I can get some money to pay for first months rent, like ASAP? Please let me know about anything you know about. Being scared is making me more unable to do anything. I have never been homeless before, and I am afraid I may lose my children if I become homeless.
Ianthe's Avatar Ianthe 01:07 PM 10-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post

Anyone know how I can get some money to pay for first months rent, like ASAP? Please let me know about anything you know about. Being scared is making me more unable to do anything. I have never been homeless before, and I am afraid I may lose my children if I become homeless.

Are you a member of any church that can help you? I am not a member anywhere, but I have had the LDS (Mormon) church help me with rent and moving before.

Do you have any family in the area? or friends? Maybe you can move your stuff into a storage unit for one month and stay with someone until your money comes through.

Call the woman's shelter and ask them for resources that can help you too.
Marlet's Avatar Marlet 02:55 PM 10-15-2009
Quote:
I live at high altitude and don't have a pressure cooker. You can cook beans for 24 hours on high in a crockpot and they will still be crunchy! Dried beans aren't good for much beyond kiddy artwork unless your making pinto bean soup. I was planning to get canned garbanzo's to make hummus
Boil them on your stovetop. Seriously. I went through bag after bag after bag of black beans and ruined them all. I tried the presoak and the quick cook and the crock pot on high and the crock pot on low. I needed them in ahurry one night and decided to try my luck. I boil them for at min. an hour (so obviously won't work if you are planning on leaving) but I think at the most it takes me 2 hours. It's the only way I cook dry beans now. Oh and black bean hummus is to die for!

WIC sounds frustrating! Don't they have everything marked with a sticker saying it's WIC aprroved? Here, at least when I was on it...almost five years ago, all the shelves have a sticker/insert next to the tag for the item saying if it is or isn't approved. No actual searching on my part. Do you have to get everything on a check in order to use it? I know here you just get what you want/need off it and the amount. They prefer you use the whole check but if you already have lentils you don't have to get more yk?
Ianthe's Avatar Ianthe 03:54 PM 10-15-2009
Quote:
Boil them on your stovetop. Seriously. I went through bag after bag after bag of black beans and ruined them all. I tried the presoak and the quick cook and the crock pot on high and the crock pot on low. I needed them in ahurry one night and decided to try my luck. I boil them for at min. an hour (so obviously won't work if you are planning on leaving) but I think at the most it takes me 2 hours. It's the only way I cook dry beans now. Oh and black bean hummus is to die for!

WIC sounds frustrating! Don't they have everything marked with a sticker saying it's WIC aprroved? Here, at least when I was on it...almost five years ago, all the shelves have a sticker/insert next to the tag for the item saying if it is or isn't approved. No actual searching on my part. Do you have to get everything on a check in order to use it? I know here you just get what you want/need off it and the amount. They prefer you use the whole check but if you already have lentils you don't have to get more yk?
We get canned beans now in our new package. But, when it was dry only, I only got split peas and lentils, since they cook fast.

We don't get the milk, eggs, and cheese (or tuna since I am a BF mom), and we can still use our checks without those items. The WIC program gets money back for things not used on the checks, they told me.
Satori's Avatar Satori 03:57 PM 10-15-2009
Quote:

I've done the boil on the stove thing a number of times and its literally an all day thing. You have to either soak over night or do the quick soak thing then cook them. If you start them at 8am they will get done around 6-8pm and you gotta watch them or they'll burn (yes on low). Plus I did the math one time and based on how much gas costs I break even with buying canned so using dried is taking a lot more effort for the same cost, its just switching the cost from food to the gas bill. As for the back bean hummus, recipe please? I have a ton of canned black beans! Scored a ton of 30 oz cans for $1 each last month, got black, pinto and refried

For WIC everything used to be labeled but the new packages just came out and there listed as "any brand" as long as it meets certain guidelines like for juice it must be 120% vitamin C and 100% juice in specified flavors. That could cover a lot of brands and nothing on the store shelf was marked but then none of the juices I wanted qualified. They said they hope to have all the wic approved stuff on the shelves next month, I'm hoping they either label the shelves or at least have a list of qualifying products. I'm just thrilled that we can use everything on the checks now, they even have gluten free cereals on the checks now
Satori's Avatar Satori 04:22 PM 10-15-2009
Quote:
That is such a nasty word, and it terrifies me, but the truth is that I have 4 days left in my home. I have tried to get an extention so that I would have time to get money together for a house or apartment, but my landlord will not give it to me. I'm terrified of what will happen if I don't get my things out of the house by Monday evening. My ex has not paid the child support this month yet (apparently his employer can choose to set the garnishment to come out at the end of the month?). Here we are on the 15th, and no money in the system, means no check coming to me. And when it does come, I won't be here to get it!

I have no idea what to do. The packing is going very slow. I was sick from Sunday night to still right now with a cold. It has made packing difficult when all I could do was sleep the first day. I would get up and make the kids a meal, then go back to sleep without eating. I have taken 4000 mg of vit C every day since Sunday night. I am just now able to breathe again, so at least I can start packing again.

Aren't these friends making you move? Maybe they would be willing to help you pack to get you out or pay someone to help you? I agree with another poster, you may need to put everything into storage and stay with a friend for a month. You can also call churches for help or even DHS and ask about programs. I know in CA there's a once in a life time benefit you can get that pays I think its 1st and the security deposit, a friend of mine used it once about 7 evictions ago.

*sigh, I'm going rip my hair out this morning, have a major test tomorrow, at this point I'm totally failing Anatomy and I can not fail any more tests. I need to listen to a couple hours of lectures in order to have a chance at passing and the kids are driving me crazy! I am this close to taking them to germ city to play while I listen on ear phones. Just my luck I'd get to study like crazy and then the baby would get the stomach flu an hour before I leave for school and I miss the test and spend a couple days at the hospital. Make up tests are 50% harder then the in class test and there not joking, I had to take the make up last time, I scored 3 out of 100 points, there that hard! I had planned on studying last night after the kids were asleep but as usual I fell asleep with them and they woke up before I did. 13 hours of sleep and I'm still exhausted If I had the gas money I'd take at least the baby to daycare (free due to her medical issues) and drop the older one off with a friend so I can study. Reminds me, need to get the ad posted for the in home nurse, we got the approval yesterday to place an ad at the college employment office, praying to find someone fantastic!
Teenytoona's Avatar Teenytoona 06:35 PM 10-15-2009
delurking to ask Jyostna to clear her pm box.
maciascl's Avatar maciascl 08:23 PM 10-15-2009
Quote:

I am so sorry!! Try local churches, even if you don't belong to that church they will often help.

I am so sorry & wish I had more I could say.
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up