October Low-Income Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 385 Old 10-17-2009, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey mamas

took my dogs for a walk on the beach today. as poor as i am it all just goes away when i watch a bunch of dogs just tearing it up....all those silly dog smiles

i made just veggie homefries and scrambled eggs....it was so good. and the yams from the food pantry were so darn sweet they carmelized....i have never had that happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagare View Post

Just the thread I need! Things are tough here too..... I have been out of work since March, and no one wants to hire me because I am a diabetic--yea.. .no one says it, but...... I lost my last job because of it. I was having issues with my blood sugar control and was having insulin reactions and having to go home and welllllll are you sure you can do your job? and I never got called back in. *sigh* Dh is working, but got his hours cut, and they are supposed to go from hourly to salary plus commision (he delivers soda) so we shall see what will happen there.

I have pledged to not turn on the heater and I have made everyone swear to turn off the lights in thier rooms and the tv and computer is not to be on if no one is watching or using it. Soup, stew and bread for dinner, oatmeal for breakfast and ??? for lunch for me. We don't qualify for FS, but I have been considering the food pantry. And what makes it more fun, is my meds, with the diabetic supplies and other meds.... oi!

Looking forward to sharing and learning!
i'm a type 1 too.....it sucks. im unemployed right now, but when i work i always keep the bs up a bit. it slows me down, but i can't trust people to take care of me if i go low. and, i NEVER tell before they hire me. ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotsna View Post
Ediesmom and Krystal,

Thank you for the hugs. The great news is.....I just checked the child support website (where the money shows up after the ex pays) and it shows that he has paid, but it doesn't show that it has been allocated to me yet.

Usually after it shows it is paid, it means I will see it in 7 - 10 days. If you meditate or pray, please ask that the child support money come by Tuesday not later. Also, I've applied for SSI for my son (he was dx with bipolar recently and has had all sorts of problems, including I can keep him in school..thus our homeschooling for last 2 years). If they approve it and they pay very shortly, I will get enough money to pay the rent for 3 months, and probably the utility bill for 3 months too. Please send us your light. We need it desperately right now.

Thank you for the mama's on this thread who have pm'd me. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

We have a possible apartment to rent. I will look at it Sunday am, and it may be ready by Tuesday. There is a 1 day descrepancy between my landlord and I on when I will move out. I am planning to stay the additional day, to make sure we are not out of the street. I just hate the stress of not moving out when I am supposed to move out. I don't like doing stuff like that, but this is not in the best interest of my children.
sending prayers that your check gets there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
sigh... was just looking at gluten free food prices on amazon, I soooo wish you could use FS on Amazon! GF food is so much cheaper! Its not stuff we NEED, just goodies that make eating a little more fun and easier to pack lunches I would love to be able to pack stuff to eat on crackers but at $5-6 for a 5 oz box of crackers its kinda $$ (and thats if I can even find it in the stores!), I can get that same box for $3.51 with free shipping on Amazon. lol, maybe I should ask for Amazon gift cards for xmas (fat chance, the cash always ends up paying utilities), oh yeah, bank of mom and dad gave me the $50 to keep the electric on last night!

oh god... my 3 yr old just figured out she can put corn in her ears
i joined a food coop. the gf goodies are WAY cheaper.....and our buying club takes food stamps look around in your area.....not that i afford goodies often...but gf is so expensive. the pasta is almost a buck a pound cheaper....i am so glad.

i buy most of my gf flours from the asian market. $1.09 for a pound of tapioca flour:rofl thats about 3bucks cheaper than the grocery...and of course there is rice flour, corn flour, potato flour.....so cheap. it would be a real deal if i actually baked much

have a good night all.....

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#242 of 385 Old 10-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
Thanks ediesmom! I will look into them. You rock!
i'm going to try to post a link...........

http://www.hopenow.com/

if it doesn't stick....its hopenow.com

they can help too.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#243 of 385 Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Here's another "You know you're poor when..."
.... There are free pumpkins at a Halloween event, and your FIRST thought is not to carve them, but to eat them.
#244 of 385 Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inci View Post
Here's another "You know you're poor when..."
.... There are free pumpkins at a Halloween event, and your FIRST thought is not to carve them, but to eat them.
lol, you can do a lot with pumpkin! Kills me that one of my kids is allergic to all squashes, I miss pumpkin pie, cookies, rolls ect.

One just occurred to me,

You hit the thrift shops not to buy but because you know you usually walk out with some kind of free food (usually bread or produce from someones garden) and you only had to spend less then a quarter on a paperback or trinket toy for the kids to get that $3-5 worth of food.

I'm starving and can't figure out what to make, everything I want involves the kitchen aid mixer which is currently broken! Think I'll make a burrito for dinner for me cause heaven knows we have enough refried beans and GF tortillas (bought 2 cases of the yummy La Tortilla Factory GF ones for my aunt and they forgot to take them back to Texas with them for my cousin so I got them) I just don't know what to make for the kids, they hate burritos and were out of chips and its to hot to bake some.

hmm.. anyone know if tofu qualifies on the wic fruits and veggies check? It is a veggie after all..

Seriously?
#245 of 385 Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 AM

in the new WIC packages tofu is part of it--i get 2lbs per month which is usually gone in one yumma meal, but it's more than i was buying before!

so my c/s was a day late, which made one of my (tiny) cc payments 1 day late, and i had to pay a $15 rush payment fee to avoid it taking a week to clear PLUS a $39 late fee. I called them and they said they'd take off the late fee, but GAH. Whole situation makes me feel so frustrated.

I am really looking forward to DH's first check--he wants to buy a game card (online gamer ), and I want to finally buy a lamp for my dark cave of a living room at IKEA! Such frivolous stuff, i know... At least we can pay our own rent after this....heh.

So medicaid and food stamps STILL have not gotten off their collective you-know-what to process my case! It's been since August. I either call or go there 2x/week, every week, and they keep giving me excuses. Last time the lady straight-up told me my caseworker just hadn't gotten to it yet. I'm like, seriously?? I'm due in 3 weeks, and i'd really like to have the back-up medicaid in case something crazy happens and I need the hossy! It's been suggested that I should just give my kids a bunch of candy and soda and then camp out in the office until they take care of it same-day, LOL.

I probably won't even get the FS now that DH got a job, huh? I think I'm entitled to back-benefits from the date i applied tho--anyone have any guesses?

satori, i kwym about gift money going to mundane necessities--it's always that way with us too. My dad'll give my son $10 for ice cream, and i'm cringing inside sometimes, thinking, "but i could buy apples with that!"

i really hope your c/s check comes ASAP, jyotsna!!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#246 of 385 Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 AM

I finally got mint.com to agree with my bank (it's not a tiny one so I don't know what the hang up was). Anyhow, sorta sobering to see how I have wasted/blown through money this month. I just filled in my expenses for this month and only did what I HAVE to pay (i.e. rent and power etc.). The nice thing is it told me exactly what I've spent and no wonder I'm flippin' "low income". Now since September money has been funny due to some transitioning (recently seperated) in that area but good grief! I should have a better handle on things. It gives you a "projected savings" off to the side with a few options (1 month, 3 mon., 6 mon., 9 mon., and 1 year) and that's the only bright spot on my budget right now. Next month I WILL do better! I don't see why I can't start doing some small investments (i.e. college funds for the girls) and/or savings for a house. I'm so incredibly house hungry and fall really hits it home for me. I want a HOME. I don't want to be living in apartment in the top of some random building no one can ever find until the day I die (although it's tempting given what I have to pay for it ). I'm so glad I have that visual. I am looking forward to next month so that I can see how it works out when things aren't so wonky. I've been so stressed out thinking to the future (like winter and not having enough clothes) with my finances and now I can "see" that it's not as hard as I've made it out to be. I'm really happy to see it...I desperately need new glasses/contacts as I have one pair left (not counting the pair in my eyes) and I've been worried about how I was going to swing it.

Ask me if I'm this optimistic next month when I've ripped through my money again.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#247 of 385 Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks again, Ediesmom. I don't think my bank is participating in that program, and we've already signed up with a different one, but I will look into that too. I can't believe the amount of hours of work I'm missing this wknd b/c I can't get my car back! I'm hoping they will cut me a break on Monday when I talk to the supervisor and explain how I can't work without my car, though I'm scared they'll still say, nope, we need the amount in full to release the car.
I applied for a few jobs online this weekend. Since I may not get the car back for a long while, I may need to find a job I can take a bus to instead. I also applied for a personal loan, so I can get my car back, though I doubt I'll get it; I'll have to wait until monday.

I am thankful that a friend of mine, who recently left her dh, had to have a place to store some of her stuff, so I let her use our small basement, and she left a washer and dryer which I can use for a couple months. So today I did a few loads of laundry and it was awesome!

I'm also thankful that a friend from work is going to give me a ride to the store for groceries tomorrow.

I'm thankful that right now we are warm and fed.

Krystal323; I'm sorry your assistance is taking so long, but I'm not suprised. The DSS office is being hit so hard right now, and they are cutting their workforce in half, so everything is taking forever! If your're dh's income still qualifies, you should still be able to get it. I would definately camp out there if you can, that's usually what it takes. Make sure before you get your first medicaid card that you asked for a doctor that will accept you- I just got my first card awhile ago and the doctor that my dh got back in the spring, is now not accepting any new medicaid patients. It turns out, that most of the docs in Asheville aren't accepting it anymore, the health department waitlist is 1,000 people long, and all I could find to accept it was one doctor, and one clinic who was like, be the first 2 people in line on the 3rd weds. of the month at 8a.m. and we might accept you! It's pretty scary. So now that I had to call and change the doc's name on my card, that used to take a few days to get back to us, now it's been over 2 weeks and no card yet. Everything is slow, but hang in there, and keep hounding them.
Do you have some other medical insurance to take care of the birth? I hope so!!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#248 of 385 Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Krystal323 - call your states DHS Ombudsman - that's the only way I ever get mine approved as they take so long now here in TX. If it's been 30 days the ombudsman can make your case be looked at, and they are normally very nice and much easier to deal with than the caseworkers.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#249 of 385 Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Has anyone else gotten money every time they dream of snakes? From the time I was a little kid every time I'd have a nightmare about snakes my mom would tell me it means I'm going to get money. That's actually happened pretty much every time my entire life. This morning I had a horrible nightmare, I was fighting a huge snake, think python and it was pissed. I had my hands around its neck trying to keep it from both biting me and getting away and his handler was helping me also holding on to it. This snake was really strong and it took the both of us to hold just its neck/head area. In the dream my 3 yr old wandered into the room while were fighting this huge snake and I got her to bring me a large pet cage that was out of my reach and I couldn't let go of the snake. After several failed attempts (she kept bringing me stuff from around the cage) she finally brought me the cage and we started getting the snake into the cage and the handler didn't move quick enough and the snake flipped around and raced back out and came right for me with rage in his eyes and was ready to strike.

At that point I woke up and I've been disturbed by it since, the dream was so real and I HATE HATE HATE snakes, I don't even like pictures of them. All I could think was "I better get money out of that dream! A lot of money for a snake that big!" I grab my coffee and sit down to read my email and find I have $60 in Paypal from bank of dad that was unexpected Granted its supposed to be gas money for school next week but I had no idea he was sending it. I expected the $5 I needed to ship his hard drive back to him not $60 Now I'm debating what to do with it, save it for 3 weeks of bus fare? (switch to taking the bus this week which is way cheaper, $18 vs. $45 week, just makes for really long days) order the parts I need to fix my kitchen aid mixer? (we use the mixer a lot and right now were SOL in the baked good dept even though I have like a years worth of gluten free flours and were eating more food since we don't have breads to help fill us up), pay the current electric bill or phone/internet bill? All 4 are equally important and will cost about the same. I do know I will be buying a bottle of shampoo with it! I forgot to take the shampoo/conditioner out of the shower when my 9 yr old took a shower yesterday, she used the last 1/2 of the bottles to wash her hair! This is why I empty the shower, she always does it and it really ticks me off.

ok, now my head is going to explode, she just emptied out my large dresser I use for storage of stuff we don't use very often (xmas stuff, clothes for next season ect). She asks to get into 1 drawer and emptied out 9! Yep, its gonna be one of those days with her Did I mention in the last 24 hours she's also wasted 3 rolls of toilet paper and for some reason kept putting the bathroom towels on top of the nasty toilet plunger so now I have to wash towels before I can take a shower? ARGH!!!!!!!! you don't want to know but my head is seriously going to explode and I already have a raging headache and I haven't even had time to eat breakfast I've been so busy dealing with this child who is not listening and hellbent on destruction the past 24 hours! I just want to go back to bed... no, I want a decent meal and then go back to bed!

Seriously?
#250 of 385 Old 10-18-2009, 05:49 PM

My day just keeps getting better, I just found out how much that ticket is going to cost me, any advice?

Seriously?
#251 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 AM

I have a new respect for bus riders, I caught the bus at 5am at figured I would be the only one on it, maybe 1-2 other people. That bus was FULL, I totally was not expecting that. Got to school at 6:20 and my class doesn't even start until 7:45am. Found out from the other students this morning that the cafeteria is unlocked for bus riders even though its not "open" so we have a safe place to go instead of sitting outside on a dark campus for an hour before its even light. There are 9 other people in here looking as tired as I feel, I had to get up at 3:30am to have dd at the sitters at 4:30 and to the bus at 5:30. I'm just glad I have a safe place to sit until class starts Now lets see if I can write a paper with the noise level, its not even 7am and this place is filling up!

Seriously?
#252 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Dang, Satori, I'm sorry about your ticket. It bites. I'm glad you have somewhere to sit.

I found out this weekend that our entire neighborhood has been selected for my power company's neighborhood weatherization project. They will be coming to our homes and giving us energy efficient light bulbs, low flow shower heads, new air filters, weather stripping, caulking and door sweeps, cleaning our fridge coils and more.. FOR FREE!!

It's great to get some GOOD news once and awhile!

I'm going to call about getting the boot off my car again and hopefully get the supervisor.. I've been waiting all wknd and missed 3 long shifts at work.. wish me luck that he can cut me a little slack!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#253 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Dang, Satori, I'm sorry about your ticket. It bites. I'm glad you have somewhere to sit.

I found out this weekend that our entire neighborhood has been selected for my power company's neighborhood weatherization project. They will be coming to our homes and giving us energy efficient light bulbs, low flow shower heads, new air filters, weather stripping, caulking and door sweeps, cleaning our fridge coils and more.. FOR FREE!!

I'm going to call about getting the boot off my car again and hopefully get the supervisor.. I've been waiting all wknd and missed 3 long shifts at work.. wish me luck that he can cut me a little slack!

Thats great about the weatherization project! They did that at my last apt and it was great I hope you can do something about the boot, that would really suck to not be able to work

ok, some people need brains, its 57F outside and for some reason the A/C is turned on in the cafeteria! I'm trying to write this stinking paper and its hard to type when your shivering! To bad you can't just get hot water from the coffee machine, I could have a cup of hot tea or something. (the coffee is nasty)

Seriously?
#254 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM

morning mamas!

i called the power company...i had a shut off notice for tmorrow, but had (over)paid on friday and just wanted to make sure they got the payment posted

now i need to check my cu acct. balance....eek! my dd 13th birthday is friday and i really need to get her something.....i'm afraid to look. i don't think i am near close to being empty, but its low....i don't want it to be low...

Quote:
I have a new respect for bus riders, I caught the bus at 5am at figured I would be the only one on it, maybe 1-2 other people. That bus was FULL, I totally was not expecting that. Got to school at 6:20 and my class doesn't even start until 7:45am. Found out from the other students this morning that the cafeteria is unlocked for bus riders even though its not "open" so we have a safe place to go instead of sitting outside on a dark campus for an hour before its even light. There are 9 other people in here looking as tired as I feel, I had to get up at 3:30am to have dd at the sitters at 4:30 and to the bus at 5:30. I'm just glad I have a safe place to sit until class starts Now lets see if I can write a paper with the noise level, its not even 7am and this place is filling up!
i'm a bus rider. the amount of time spent waitingwaitingwaiting....then the adjustments in time getting places way early just because to take the next bus will get you there too late:sigh

Quote:

sending positive thoughts that you get your boot off

have a good day mamas

#255 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM

A friend of mine just had a baby and I want to make her a nice gift basket for her and baby, and big sister (3 years old.) She's had a rough year financially, is a stay at home mom, and her husband working a minimum wage job, so there are no frills.

What would you recommend for a new-mama treat?
#256 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
HI Can I join?
Im a single mom to a 9 yr old. We have very little income. Mainly unemployment. I sub-teach on occassion but I have to be careful since too many hours will mess up UE. We also recieve food stamps and medical. I just finished the classroom part of my teaching certificate and I should be student teaching after winter break. I have no idea how many more total weeks of UE i have left.

We house share and while I am grateful to have affordable housing there are times I really want my own space and DS needs his own space. Hopefully fall 2010 I will have a teaching contract and things will be different.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#257 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLittleHouse View Post
A friend of mine just had a baby and I want to make her a nice gift basket for her and baby, and big sister (3 years old.) She's had a rough year financially, is a stay at home mom, and her husband working a minimum wage job, so there are no frills.

Possibly some nice lotions or bath gel for mom. Or a casserole/food plate for the family. Definatley something for the big sis as well.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#258 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
sigh... was just looking at gluten free food prices on amazon, I soooo wish you could use FS on Amazon! GF food is so much cheaper! Its not stuff we NEED, just goodies that make eating a little more fun and easier to pack lunches I would love to be able to pack stuff to eat on crackers but at $5-6 for a 5 oz box of crackers its kinda $$ (and thats if I can even find it in the stores!), I can get that same box for $3.51 with free shipping on Amazon. lol, maybe I should ask for Amazon gift cards for xmas (fat chance, the cash always ends up paying utilities), oh yeah, bank of mom and dad gave me the $50 to keep the electric on last night!

oh god... my 3 yr old just figured out she can put corn in her ears
Do you have a Trader's Joe's near you? they have bags of rice crackers for under $2.00. Also I can get all the time at different grocery stores the blue diamond almond or pecan crackers that are gluten free for under $2.50. Oh and every once and a while I can get a box of Mary's Gone Crackers for under $3.00.

Heidi
#259 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
mamas I need ideas

I'm a single mom, and self-employed. We barely get by {barely as in my CC as are overdrawn and behind on payments}.

I have a thyroid problem, and am finally after 3 years of struggling I will getting Radioactive Iodine treatment for it. I have someone to watch my 3yo, but I have to stay away from her for about a week to prevent her being exposed to the radiation.

I can't figure out how I'm going to make this work - we're talking $500 easy for a hotel for a week, and I just don't have it.

And did I mention that I'm doing this in about 3 weeks since my medicaid will expire at the end of November?

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#260 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM

Is it not possible for DD to stay at someone else's place for a week, instead of you going to a hotel?

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
#261 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
mamas I need ideas

I'm a single mom, and self-employed. We barely get by {barely as in my CC as are overdrawn and behind on payments}.

I have a thyroid problem, and am finally after 3 years of struggling I will getting Radioactive Iodine treatment for it. I have someone to watch my 3yo, but I have to stay away from her for about a week to prevent her being exposed to the radiation.

I can't figure out how I'm going to make this work - we're talking $500 easy for a hotel for a week, and I just don't have it.

And did I mention that I'm doing this in about 3 weeks since my medicaid will expire at the end of November?
Do you have an Extended Stay type place? Those are around $130 for a week where I live (still a lot, but better than $500)

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#262 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

The landlord has told me that he is coming tomarrow morning with the police (I assume to evict me). I am trying my best to get everything ready so that they will see I am doing my best. I'm scared. I don't know if my landlord has the right to toss us out on the street like that.

My parents contacted me and told us we could stay with them at their house while I am looking for a new apartment or house. I am thankful for that, and at the same time, it will be a very stressful time there. My dad sleeps most of the day (cancer has returned) and he is very grouchy with the kids. He sleeps in the living room where the tv and vcr are.

It's tough, and it is the last thing I wanted to do, not because I don't love them. I love them very much, but just because my father doesn't think children have any rights. They have one bed for all of us. I really doubt they will let me move in even my mattress. I need a formal bed to sleep on. I am not one of those whose back can manage on the floor/camping/sleeping bag.

But at this point, we are limited.

The final straw was that the child support has not come yet, and so we have no way to rent an apartment or house.

Thank you to all of you who have written to me. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Jyotsna

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#263 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
The landlord has told me that he is coming tomarrow morning with the police (I assume to evict me). I am trying my best to get everything ready so that they will see I am doing my best. I'm scared. I don't know if my landlord has the right to toss us out on the street like that.

My parents contacted me and told us we could stay with them at their house while I am looking for a new apartment or house. I am thankful for that, and at the same time, it will be a very stressful time there. My dad sleeps most of the day (cancer has returned) and he is very grouchy with the kids. He sleeps in the living room where the tv and vcr are.

It's tough, and it is the last thing I wanted to do, not because I don't love them. I love them very much, but just because my father doesn't think children have any rights. They have one bed for all of us. I really doubt they will let me move in even my mattress. I need a formal bed to sleep on. I am not one of those whose back can manage on the floor/camping/sleeping bag.

But at this point, we are limited.

The final straw was that the child support has not come yet, and so we have no way to rent an apartment or house.

Thank you to all of you who have written to me. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Jyotsna
I'm not sure where you are but in most states/cities etc there are laws governing how people can be evicted and it generally requires a court order to do so. If 211 is available in your area can you call them, and see what services they may be able to connect you with as far as tenant rights.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#264 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
I'm not sure where you are but in most states/cities etc there are laws governing how people can be evicted and it generally requires a court order to do so. If 211 is available in your area can you call them, and see what services they may be able to connect you with as far as tenant rights.
I can't imagine what you're going through right now, but I am hoping beyond hope that this turns out well for you and your family.
#265 of 385 Old 10-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLittleHouse View Post

I would get some nice flavored teabags or little bags of special coffee-whichever she would like better.Get some nice cocoa mix that the whole family can share, with some cookies-Pepperidge Farm make an assortment box-or make some for them.Next some Lindt or Cadbury chocolate bars.I would get a subscription to a magazine she would like and include the current issue.You can find some for under $10.00 and this is a present she will be able to anticipate and enjoy monthly.For big sister a baby doll if your budget will allow or a little book or coloring book.For the baby get something that can be used but is a little bit special or cute .Every mother likes to have something nice to dress their baby in to show them off- a cute winter hat or an outfit if you want to spend that much.I don't know what your budget is, so I don't know if you will want to do all these things and if your budget is more you can always expand on this.
#266 of 385 Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 AM

Our SSDI puts me 100$ over the limit for food stamps after deductions and medical, so this month all I have to feed myself and my daughter on is WIC. The first time we tried to use the new WIC was a disaster. Thankfully I have a stocked pantry with enough beans and tomatoes that will get me through to December. I am really missing meat though, and just get so excited about weekly chicken parmiagiana!
#267 of 385 Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
The only way the police are coming is if they have a court order and you would know if they did. What happened that all of the sudden they want you out like yesterday? You may not even have to move yet if they didn't give you proper notice I would ask in a separate thread about renters rights and evictions, just be sure to post your state if you can as laws vary by state.

I hope you get this sorted soon!

Well mama's, it was a seriously long day, I didn't get any studying done on the bus, I was to darn tired! Plus on the way back I had to stand half the way as it was standing room only. Its 8pm, I'm exhausted (got up at 3:30am) and the kids are tired so were going to bed early. Thankfully I don't have to catch tomorrows bus until 8 something so I get to sleep in until 6 Then its a full day dedicated to learning algebra yippee! yep, 5 solid hours in the tutoring center and then class, then more algebra... positive thinking here, all this killing myself is gonna get me to pass the semester and we get to keep the Pell grant next semester. Praying I pass the test on Thursday! Learning a months worth of material in 4 days

Seriously?
#268 of 385 Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
The only way the police are coming is if they have a court order and you would know if they did.
Not always. We were evicted in June and the only reason we knew ahead of time that the order had gone through was that a worker at Salvation Army where I had gone trying to get help with the rent told me there was already an eviction order in the system. There was no hearing and the landlord never mailed us a notice that the eviction order had been granted.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#269 of 385 Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 AM

I've posted on this thread before, but have only recently been able to come back online. My dh has not been able to find work in about 7 months now. We have recently moved out of a shelter and in to our own place after I got lucky with a call center job for a hotel chain. Out of thousands of applications 25 were picked and I got a job. Still a small enough amount of money for our family that we easily qualify for medicaid and food stamps, but it's a job After a massive cold snap this weekend my big concerns are cold weather clothing for the children. I was given clothes for the littlest one by one of the workers at the shelter so he has some warm things to wear. We have a pair of pants for each of the big 2 and they don't really fit either of them. I was hoping to get by some thrift stores after getting paid Friday, but was sick and missed a day of work on top of tech issues the week before so my check won't be as much as it should. Hopefully I can find at least a couple pairs of pants for each of them in the 10 cent bins. If I had my things that are hopefully still in storage and not auctioned off I could sew them pants, but when we came this way it was to live with a cousin and there was no money to bring a uhaul of things anyway.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#270 of 385 Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
Not always. We were evicted in June and the only reason we knew ahead of time that the order had gone through was that a worker at Salvation Army where I had gone trying to get help with the rent told me there was already an eviction order in the system. There was no hearing and the landlord never mailed us a notice that the eviction order had been granted.
Then it wasn't a proper eviction, your LL pulled a fast one and made it look like you had been served then you hadn't.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page