Christmas Questions - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 year old would not be happy if he wrapped an empty box lol However, I do agree that unwrapping is half the fun and that he would be pretty much happy unwrapping ANYTHING. So socks or shampoo or other necessities are often enough for really little ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 02:04 PM

We do the book, jammies, and toy thing. I might add a game from now on too since he's getting old enough to play.

Last year my 2 year-old got a book, PJs, and a homemade play kitchen with accessories.
His birthday is around Christmas as well and we got him a balance bike.
Grandparent gifts were - art easel, Playmobil, music instruments, play food for the kitchen.

This year I'm a bit stumped - right now my son has a nice, but not overwhelming collection of toys. He seems more into activities than toys but I know that will change as his imagination and motor skills develop more. My mom has already bought some Thomas stuff for his train table so I'd like to get something different. Maybe a marble run for his big gift? Anyone have good experience with these? They look like fun for the whole family. I'm also thinking of a hand-cranked flashlight as a stocking stuffer since he loves wearing the batteries out on mine.
#33 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
But, because we have such a large family who loves to shop ... our idea was to give our child empty boxes to unwrap. Until around age 3. I mean, every time my nieces and nephews got something when they were two - the box and unwrapping it was the most interesting part!

Plus, the part of the brain which holds long term memories doesn't form until age 2. So, what child will really remember opening empty boxes? Besides, for small kids, I think unwrapping is 99.9% of the fun.
That might work if there are no other kids around opening gifts with actual stuff inside.

But, past, say, 18 mo, my kids both understood that a wrapped gift has something fun inside, and would be very disappointed and confused to find an empty box. My ds will turn 3 shortly after Christmas this year. He still remembers opening gifts last Christmas, and understands it will all happen again this Christmas. No, he probably won't remember either of these Christmases long term, but he sure is enjoying the memories now!
#34 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Now, I'm not saying my dp and I will do this. Once the baby is earth side, we may feel differently.

But, because we have such a large family who loves to shop ... our idea was to give our child empty boxes to unwrap. Until around age 3. I mean, every time my nieces and nephews got something when they were two - the box and unwrapping it was the most interesting part!

Plus, the part of the brain which holds long term memories doesn't form until age 2. So, what child will really remember opening empty boxes? Besides, for small kids, I think unwrapping is 99.9% of the fun.
I guarantee that my 2.5 year old would realize that there is nothing in the box as well. Plus, while not everyone has memories that go back earlier than 2, I do and I have met folks with preverbal, infant/toddler memories. I wouldn't bank on them not remembering something purely based on age.

ETA: My son has never actually experienced the joy of tearing through paper wrapping paper. We use only fabric wrapping bags in my house. I do remember it being most of the fun as a kid, but we just don't do it here.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#35 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 PM

DD would also not be happy about an empty box. She is quite aware that presents/mail packages usually hold contents, lol. You should see her when the mail comes and she isn't quite two.

She'll be two on the Solstice as well. Last year, between Christmas and her birthday, she got a rocking horse, some really nice books, about twelve Holztiger farm animals, three of pairs of shoes, a wooden kitchen, a tea set, wooden food and several FP Little People things from relatives.

This year, I'm planning on getting her a dollhouse and furniture (along with a play table - maybe from the grandparents), some more Holztiger figures, some of the 1.2.3. Playmobil, a wooden highchair for her babydoll, some woollybottom footies, wooden cupcakes for the kitchen (which she loves!) and some books. Maybe a Little Bear DVD. I'd really like to get her one of those spring/bounce horses...I think she'd get a real kick out of that.

I can't wait!
#36 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post
I love Christmas

A few puzzles - there's a 4 seasons one I really, really want to get her.
Do you have a link?

I cannot mention here what we spend on Christmas. It would not be fitting for the frugality board, lol. I have no ideas for my almost 3 yo yet, but my 2 'middle' kids are each getting a laptop. And my 20 yo wants a really special botany-type book to go w/her Master Naturalist class.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#37 of 40 Old 10-03-2009, 07:05 PM

I try to keep stocking stuff to about $15 each (if that) then we have the pj's and a book the night before. Christmas day we do one 'big' gift and a couple little things. We really strive to not overdo the commercial end of it though. DS 1 will be about 18 months on Christmas, and DS 2 will be just over 3 months- they are gtting a fairly 'combined' present this year- a play area with a kitchen and a tool bench built into our kitchen. Of course, DS 2 will be much too little to use it yet, but the hope is that it will be good for both of them a they grow up together. I suspect the materials will run $100 - $150 for the whole project. Their grandfather will do the woodworking, and I'll do the finish work.

DD will be 8, and I haven't figured out what to do for her this year...

I really strive to do as much handmade as we can, not only to save money, but because I want the kids to be able to say 'so and so made this for me... '
#38 of 40 Old 10-04-2009, 12:46 AM

Ok, lol, maybe we'll nix the empty box idea too. It seemed like a good idea from watching my niece. I remember one year her mom got her this awesome play house. It came wrapped in this huge box. Once she opened it, looked the playhouse over, she turned to the big box and started playing in that. 3 days later, she was still playing with the box over the playhouse!

Which is when my brilliant empty box plan came into being, lol. But, I guess it wasn't so brilliant after all.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#39 of 40 Old 10-04-2009, 01:09 AM

I try to budget $100 per kid. In a perfect world I would spend $200
#40 of 40 Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 AM

We always spend too much....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page