5 year old frozen beef...is it safe?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2009, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would try thawing some, and if it smells okay I would try it (making sure it was cooked throughly). My mom bought a bunch of organic, local beef b/c she is opening a store, BUT, didn't get the store open before the beef was too old to sell. It is at least 5 years old now, (and it has even been partially thawed and refrozen due to a freezer malfunction), we are using it and it is FINE. The quality of meat does deterioriate while frozen, but it isn't like it goes bad while in the freezer. If it smells okay and you trust the source I would totally use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Oh, I would totally eat that meat. Cook it up and try it. And let us know how you fare.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 AM

someone gave me 15 -20 pounds of frozenn meat. onthe label it about 5-6 or even  7 yrs.old. I am sure it was frozen the entire time. Is it safe for humans, to cook this meat in the house for my animals ? I wouldn't eat it myself , I just want to know if the meat fumes of old meat would poison humans.........Thank You for your reply

Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Personally with meat that is really old, I cook it up and feed it to my dogs. Still using it... but their stomachs can handle a bit more than mine. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I would cook it in some slow way - simmering in a crockpot all day, several hours on the stove for stew, that sort of thing. Seems to me nothing scary could survive the free*er (that was a show of solidarity to another thread, sorry for the interruption), but on the off chance it did, boiling a while would kill it all.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

User Tag List