Anyone not able to get health insurance? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at a loss... what do you do when you just can't get it?

We don't qualify for Medicaid despite being poor. (As in under the poverty level.) We don't qualify for high risk pools because we're not really risky - no real significant pre-existing health conditions. The problem is that I have had a few pap smears that are persistently low grade abnormal but that's it - and the last one came back normal anyway. And DH is considered partially disabled through the VA but not the state - not enough for VA insurance. There are no state programs here - I've looked and the only one is Medicaid (which we can't get on unless I get pregnant again) or the high risk pool.

How am I supposed to be "responsible" and get insurance... if I can't? We're in our 20's, and perfectly healthy apart from those issues. We even have the money to pay the premiums. So, er... what do I do? Is there *any* program out there for people like us, or are we doomed to be uninsured permanently? DH at least has some coverage through the VA and the kids have Medicaid (which sucks because of the stigma and hassle) but me? Nothing.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#2 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 AM

Well-- if you have the money to pay a premium, you, uh...buy insurance? Usually, you can get it through your work, if you work. Otherwise, you pay for private insurance. You know, like through blue cross or something. i'm sorry, am i not understanding your question?

CPST
#3 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh and I are poor (we qualify for food stamps and our kids get Medicaid) but we don't qualify for Medicaid. Our county has a medical assistance program that we did qualify for, though. It was a pain to get and doesn't cover everything, but it's better than nothing. Maybe you have something locally that is similar?
#4 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Bobandjess:

We tried to BUY insurance, but they won't accept us. Because of our "pre-existing conditions" - which really aren't super-drastic... Like I said. The mental health stuff is covered by the VA. Our son's speech therapy is covered by the school system, and he just graduated out of that program anyway due to his progress. My Pap smears, well, they are annoying but don't really require much if anything, just a lookout.

And no, neither of us work outside the home. I am a SAHM and DH is a college student/artist/disabled. His long term plan is to finish school and get a part time job to supplement the money he gets from art.

ETA: Our whole denial letter is what is setting off the question. We just cut around our budget entirely to be able to afford insurance because that's the responsible thing to do. Before, we were in another state where we all qualified for Medicaid. Here, though, we don't. So we TRY to get insured, and... can't.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#5 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
Dh and I are poor (we qualify for food stamps and our kids get Medicaid) but we don't qualify for Medicaid. Our county has a medical assistance program that we did qualify for, though. It was a pain to get and doesn't cover everything, but it's better than nothing. Maybe you have something locally that is similar?
The one thing they have here is a free clinic. It's in one building and it's, like... Well, hmm. It's really nice that they offer that. But it's also pretty much the one place they take everyone, and it's very... well, it's not very much on par with the services other places offer. Not to mention, I can't even take my kid to an outpatient clinic near our house when she's sick because they're not allowed to see anyone on Medicaid. EVEN if you offer to pay out of pocket, in cash, right then and there! They want to consolidate everyone who is in the system downtown in that one clinic. Not really my cup of tea. Not where I want to be bringing my baby girl. The sticking point is we *could* theoretically afford the private insurance. It's steep but we *could* swing it. But they don't want to take our money to insure two nearly-perfectly healthy adults and two 100% healthy kids.

I don't want to be a whiner about it, I want to really DO something and just fix it, but I seem to have run up against a wall and don't know what to do now.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#6 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 AM

I know what you're talking about. DH is self-employed and when I quit my job to SAH, we got quotes and estimated abou $600 for expenses, which is what we were quoted. And then went to apply for insurance and got totally denied, based on my history of infertility (which, I wasn't expecting them to cover anything fertility related - even my old "good" plan through my company didn't cover that! - nor are we planning to have more kids, so I don't see why it matters).

What state are you in? Some states have programs that are available to everyone, no matter what. They're insanely expensive. I think the one where I am was in the neighborhood of $2500 a month for premiums. And they're pretty pathetic coverage with high deductibles and all that, but at least they're there in case of a catastrophe. Not all states have these programs though, in some cases you're totally SOL. Google your state and "insurance risk pool." This site has a decent looking list - http://www.healthinsurance.org/risk_pools/

Another thing to look into is joining an association or something where you can be part of a group health plan.
#7 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmama View Post
I know what you're talking about. DH is self-employed and when I quit my job to SAH, we got quotes and estimated abou $600 for expenses, which is what we were quoted. And then went to apply for insurance and got totally denied, based on my history of infertility (which, I wasn't expecting them to cover anything fertility related - even my old "good" plan through my company didn't cover that! - nor are we planning to have more kids, so I don't see why it matters).

What state are you in? Some states have programs that are available to everyone, no matter what. They're insanely expensive. I think the one where I am was in the neighborhood of $2500 a month for premiums. And they're pretty pathetic coverage with high deductibles and all that, but at least they're there in case of a catastrophe. Not all states have these programs though, in some cases you're totally SOL. Google your state and "insurance risk pool." This site has a decent looking list - http://www.healthinsurance.org/risk_pools/

Another thing to look into is joining an association or something where you can be part of a group health plan.
$2500? That's about twice what we make in a month! Ha!

I just checked and it would be about $700 a month in our state to cover the family. We make about $1400 total plus whatever supplemental income we get from selling art that DH makes or my various cash flows (selling things on CL, babysitting, that sort of thing). No way we can swing it. (And that is the low-income premium they offer!!) We were going with the 239 dollar plan which could have been swung up to $400 - we could have suffered by with that amount with minimal amount of food, no fun, no recreation, etc., but at least we would have had insurance. There's no way we could afford $700, period.

The last thing that you said, though... what is that? I've never heard of that, and I'm curious. What do you have to do to join an association like that?

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#8 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleanani View Post

I just checked and it would be about $700 a month in our state to cover the family. We make about $1400 total plus whatever supplemental income we get from selling art that DH makes or my various cash flows (selling things on CL, babysitting, that sort of thing). No way we can swing it. (And that is the low-income premium they offer!!) We were going with the 239 dollar plan which could have been swung up to $400 - we could have suffered by with that amount with minimal amount of food, no fun, no recreation, etc., but at least we would have had insurance. There's no way we could afford $700, period.

The last thing that you said, though... what is that? I've never heard of that, and I'm curious. What do you have to do to join an association like that?
That is probably where your problem is. You'd probably 'qualify' (or not be turned down because of your pre-exhisting conditions) with a more expensive plan. We have insurance thru my dh's employer, it is not even very good coverage, his employer pays for part of it and we still shell out about $600 a month for our family. Usually private plans are more expensive than employer sponsored plans.

Melonee, mom to Chloe 03/21/03 ribboncesarean.gif, Cooper 02/02/2007 vbac.gif, and Piper 12/27/09  vbac.gif
#9 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately that price sounds pretty normal for private coverage (self-insured, or whatever - the coverage you can get when you are self-employed). Ten years ago, the cheapest plan our family could get was $800/mo, and that was for two healthy kids plus two healthy adults with no pre-existing conditions whatsoever. It was a group plan through the Small Business Association. We opted to go without coverage (for four years) rather than spend $10,000/year on insurance.

Then we moved, and the kids qualified for state coverage, and now DH and I qualify also. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#10 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The one thing they have here is a free clinic. It's in one building and it's, like... Well, hmm. It's really nice that they offer that. But it's also pretty much the one place they take everyone, and it's very... well, it's not very much on par with the services other places offer. Not to mention, I can't even take my kid to an outpatient clinic near our house when she's sick because they're not allowed to see anyone on Medicaid. EVEN if you offer to pay out of pocket, in cash, right then and there! They want to consolidate everyone who is in the system downtown in that one clinic. Not really my cup of tea. Not where I want to be bringing my baby girl. The sticking point is we *could* theoretically afford the private insurance. It's steep but we *could* swing it. But they don't want to take our money to insure two nearly-perfectly healthy adults and two 100% healthy kids.

I don't want to be a whiner about it, I want to really DO something and just fix it, but I seem to have run up against a wall and don't know what to do now.
What a high deductible catastrophic plan? Those are generally much cheaper and it gives you peace of mind if something big should happen.

Quote:

$700 to cover a family of 4 is not bad to be honest. At my last job, getting my family covered with the employer sponsored plan was $600, so really 700 for buying coverage seems reasonable. Though I understand if money is tight and you can't afford it, its hard. In my state a family buying a policy would pay $1200 a month .

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#11 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

There's just no way to make our budget accept it.

I have some hope, after spending all morning on the phone with the insurance, it turns out my husband gave them some incorrect information over the phone interview. My son, who has had some speech therapy through the school system, was apparently declined because my husband said he is getting vocational rehab. (A VA term I guess that popped into his head.) Apparently now we can't "undo" the application because it's set in stone once they decline it, however we can get medical proof that he's fine. Except, we don't do well child visits, and the speech therapy was a part of the school system program, not medical to begin with. The agent was stumped at that and told me she'd call back. What a load of it... The boy is a perfectly healthy two year old who had a speech delay he caught up. I don't know if the rest of us are eligible or not because they closed down our case immediately after he was declined. So... well, at least there's hope.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#12 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM

In that case, I would probably save the money in an HSA or something. I hate health insurance. My h had knee surgery last spring and the metal is now coming through his knee (!). He had a lapse in coverage, though, so now we either pay out of pocket for him to have it fixed or he has to wait until next November when it will not be considered a pre-existing condition. Oy.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#13 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Your DH is a student? Is there a plan at his college that he can buy?
#14 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Your DH is a student? Is there a plan at his college that he can buy?
No, it's a vocational school for computer networking. He will probably transfer to get his B.A.'s afterwards but he's not sure yet if it would be financially feasible to take out loans, so we'll see if he gets a job first.

What's an HSA? Health Savings Account, I'm sure, but I'll have to google it to see what the heck that is.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#15 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Is there a county or state hospital nearby? In my state, the local hospital that receives county and state money has set up a sliding-scale insurance system for people who don't qualify for medicaid.
#16 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 01:38 PM

I know most places aren't hiring, but if you are able to get a job at Starbucks, I think they start offering health benefits at 20 hours a week. If I could stand for that length of time regularly, and I were in your situation, it's what I would do.
#17 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Are either of you able to get a job at a place that offers insurance to part timer workers? As lolar2 said, Starbucks offers insurance to part timers and there are other places that do as well. It'll take some research, but often you can find some info regarding benefits (not details, but general info) on companies websites.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#18 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 01:53 PM

If it were us, it would be pretty clear that one of us would need to get a job with insurance benefits, whether or not I wanted to SAHM. Personally, I think having health insurance is vital.
#19 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I respect other people's opinions, but I honestly don't even think I could afford to go to work with the price of childcare - I would probably be breaking even and losing so much time with the kids. I have a college education but no work history and I graduated a while ago with a liberal arts major. So, it's not likely I'd be making any money whatsoever - I'd just be out of the house for however many hours a week with the ONLY benefit of getting health insurance. I know health insurance is the responsible thing and all, but I can't see changing our entire functioning lifestyles around JUST for health insurance. YKWIM? The kids are still babies - 1 and 2 and I'm never away from them, we've maybe had two date nights since they were born. Maybe in the future. DH can't work because he's even stressed being out of the house long enough to go school four mornings a week.

ETA: The way it works out, I do about 30 hours a week working on my own after the kids go to bed, and I also am taking 12 credits this semester, probably more next semester, in online graduate classes. I don't graduate for another three years or so. So my schedule is already pretty hectic (ironically) to take 20 MORE hours a week away. I know it's all about choices, I'm just trying to see what other choices we have at the moment because going and getting another sort of a job JUST for the insurance benefit seems like making a devil's bargain.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#20 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 PM

Why would you have to pay daycare if your DH is home in the afternoons/evenings? Working 20-30 hours around his schedule seems pretty doable, especially with weekends. It sounds like one of you needs a job with some benefits for the time being, while the other goes to school and then switch. Health insurance is responsible, but so is financial stability and planning for the future with retirement, savings, etc.
#21 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

He is not able to do the childcare himself. It'd be different if he could.

ETA: As I mentioned, with the level of income I would be making at this point at an entry-level, possibly minimum wage job, especially from a part time job, it's not likely that there would be any additional income going towards savings or anything like that. It'd probably be breaking even with childcare (I have researched it actually; the best case scenario would be making a couple of hundred dollars extra a month. At best. That's not including work clothes, gas to commute, etc.) I suppose I could take a night shift job after the kids are asleep but I don't want to give up going to school either; that's paid for and having a graduate degree will pay off in the future (I hope). And I hope that within a few months I will be getting some income on my business and think about becoming officially self-employed, but right now there's no income from that yet. If I took a night shift job, not only would I be exhausted to mother my kids during the day, it would also effectively wipe out school and my own business stuff as well. In the long run I think I have a better shot at establishing financial stability through those means - not through getting a dead-end job at Starbucks or the like.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#22 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I respect other people's opinions, but I honestly don't even think I could afford to go to work with the price of childcare - I would probably be breaking even and losing so much time with the kids. I have a college education but no work history and I graduated a while ago with a liberal arts major. So, it's not likely I'd be making any money whatsoever - I'd just be out of the house for however many hours a week with the ONLY benefit of getting health insurance. I know health insurance is the responsible thing and all, but I can't see changing our entire functioning lifestyles around JUST for health insurance. YKWIM? The kids are still babies - 1 and 2 and I'm never away from them, we've maybe had two date nights since they were born. Maybe in the future. DH can't work because he's even stressed being out of the house long enough to go school four mornings a week.

ETA: The way it works out, I do about 30 hours a week working on my own after the kids go to bed, and I also am taking 12 credits this semester, probably more next semester, in online graduate classes. I don't graduate for another three years or so. So my schedule is already pretty hectic (ironically) to take 20 MORE hours a week away. I know it's all about choices, I'm just trying to see what other choices we have at the moment because going and getting another sort of a job JUST for the insurance benefit seems like making a devil's bargain.
I just wanted to say I understand. In your shoes I would not leave my two toddlers to work 20 hours a week just for insurance (I had 2 under 2, also). Like I said, we did without insurance, and it was fine. We were able to afford out-of-pocket for the care we needed. We are pretty healthy and learned we can self-treat for a lot more than I used to think. I know that in an emergency, without insurance our local hospital will treat you and charge you based on a sliding scale. DH and I couldn't see spending $40,000 for four years of health insurance where we maybe spent all of a couple thousand on health care that whole time. The chance of us needing a horrifically expensive procedure was statistically small, and if we ended up having to spend $40K out of pocket for something major, we would have considered it "breaking even" in a way.

It's an unconventional choice. But I stand by it. It's not within everyone's comfort zone, but I don't think it's crazy, because we did it. I know some people will disagree, but it's a viable option.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#23 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 PM

FedEx and UPS both offer health insurance to part-time employees, and offer early-morning shifts. Both will be hiring for the holidays soon, and that would give you a chance to get on with a possibility of being made permanent.

(If you decide it would be worth it to make $600 a month or so, plus free insurance. I know the sleep sacrifice is steep.)

Also, check your college's alumni association; mine offers a group-rate health insurance plan. Also, look in the phone book and call some insurance agents who do medical; they might be able to find you an affordable plan, even if it had exclusions for six months to a year of your pre-existing conditions.
#24 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, well, I'm averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night - not sure how much more I could afford to give up. And the kids wake up at 5:30 as it is... I know it sounds like I'm making excuses. But the thing is, I am not in a position right now to get a job. I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that in the future we will be in a better financial position. But for reasons I mentioned above, I have no plans to get a job for insurance purposes. I am working on getting insurance OUTSIDE of having an employer.

Surely not everyone's plans include working for a corporation nor do all the self-employed out there able to afford the high rate plans themselves. I'm trying to find out what they do, to see how I can help ourselves.

Some people have been really helpful in mentioning alternatives (joining an association, HSA's, etc) and I'm very thankful for that. The college I went to, I never thought to think if they offer health insurance. If so, that'd be GREAT! It was a small school though so maybe not, but I will check!

There seems to be a trend that is telling me to go out and get a job outside the home. I worked before having kids, so it's not like I'm against working. And it's not like I'm sitting around, doing nothing - I am loaded with things I'm doing. The thing is, I just have no plans on working for a company for the sole sake of health insurance, at least not right now. Period. I say all this with all the niceness I can convey through the Internet; I'm not trying to throw advice back in the face, and I value all the responses I got.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#25 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulmama View Post
Is there a county or state hospital nearby? In my state, the local hospital that receives county and state money has set up a sliding-scale insurance system for people who don't qualify for medicaid.
This. It's not ideal -- it won't cover out-of-hospital services, obviously, but it is what my husband uses, and it's what got his recent $1000-1500 visit knocked down to about $125 for us out of pocket.
#26 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Hmm, well, I'm averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night - not sure how much more I could afford to give up. And the kids wake up at 5:30 as it is... I know it sounds like I'm making excuses. But the thing is, I am not in a position right now to get a job. I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that in the future we will be in a better financial position. But for reasons I mentioned above, I have no plans to get a job for insurance purposes. I am working on getting insurance OUTSIDE of having an employer.

Surely not everyone's plans include working for a corporation nor do all the self-employed out there able to afford the high rate plans themselves. I'm trying to find out what they do, to see how I can help ourselves.

Some people have been really helpful in mentioning alternatives (joining an association, HSA's, etc) and I'm very thankful for that. The college I went to, I never thought to think if they offer health insurance. If so, that'd be GREAT! It was a small school though so maybe not, but I will check!

There seems to be a trend that is telling me to go out and get a job outside the home. I worked before having kids, so it's not like I'm against working. And it's not like I'm sitting around, doing nothing - I am loaded with things I'm doing. The thing is, I just have no plans on working for a company for the sole sake of health insurance, at least not right now. Period. I say all this with all the niceness I can convey through the Internet; I'm not trying to throw advice back in the face, and I value all the responses I got.
I don't think people are just trying to make you get a job but as someone whose spouse is self employed, in the early years I worked for the insurance. Later on as I mentioned in another post we did the high deductible policy which is better than none but can still put you in debt I learned the hard way. We had planned to have our dd at a birthing center, prepaid and everything only to end up needing to be transferred to the hospital where our deductible did not kick in.

I will also say we spent almost 2 years recently without insurance which is scary. In a weird way its turned into a mixed blessing that my dh's business dropped off because we now were able to qualify for state health coverage something we previously had not qualified for.

That said, I personally would work for insurance because it only takes one seemingly minor thing to become big and you are SOL as far as how to pay for it.

Yet if that is not comfortable for you, that's cool too. I know when I didn't have insurance and couldn't afford it, I used the sliding scale clinic for my preventative stuff and my dd's doctor offered a discount for paying in cash.

Good luck to you!

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#27 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 PM

A friend of mine applied for a high-deductible "emergency" health insurance policy. (Would have partly covered expenses over $5000 or so) He admitted to planning a future medical appointment for a medical problem - a small itchy spot on his wrist caused by an allergic reaction to a ten year old black fly bite - and was denied the insurance policy.

One option is to move to a state with some public health insurance option ... MA might be your only choice there. The other options are PT jobs with insurance, school with insurance or belonging to some group which offers health insurance (eBAY Power Sellers, maybe?).

The current system is very broken, obviously. If you have major medical expenses, ask for charity care or declare bankruptcy.
#28 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked at my alumni association site and it says that they DO offer health insurance!!! I'm not sure if it's for the family though or just personal. And what's worse is that the page is outdated and the link they have up is broken. I really hope it's just a dead link and not that they've discontinued it. I've emailed them and will probably get an email back soon, but not today. Just a matter of waiting, I guess.

And I am so kicking myself. We moved here a year ago from a state where we were all covered. I figured that any state would cover us because our income was so low - below the FPL. I had zero idea that some states (like this one) don't cover you unless you're 70% of the FPL or under - we're over 70% but under 80% iirc. It was my fault for not researching that before we moved, but what's done is done. We can't afford to move anywhere now; our house is bought, DH is enrolled in school, etc. We can't just up and leave right now. (We are planning a move in the future though because turns out we don't like it here very much... it's in the five year plan or so.)

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#29 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 PM

this is exactly why we need healthcare reform that includes a public option.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#30 of 57 Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM

You said you are doing online classes. Check if that school offers insurance to its students at a group rate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page