I don't know what to do - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 93 Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 PM
 
p1gg1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemango View Post

Not sure how you're gonna fix that one, though, cause the baby is housed in her body and our society right now gives her the right to decide what to do with that baby. It's an unfair deal for the guy, though, you have to admit.
OP - seems there isn't a solution. Maybe try to work on his relationship with the ex and come to a better agreement? Can you find family on either side to move in with and change your living situation? rent out a room etc. Otherwise you will have to sit tight and know that with this partner comes these restrictions and battles. Live in an RV?
p1gg1e is offline  
#62 of 93 Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
 
swd12422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
We can't. We thought of it, but it's illegal.
I was thinking paycut too. Why is it illegal?? Things are tough all over and lots of people are getting reductions in pay/hours w/o having to lose their jobs completely. Is he paid hourly, so that he can just reduce his hours? That would reduce his take-home without affecting his pay rate. (And it could give you some extra help at home, too.)

Sorry you're going through this. I wish there were a more simple solution than fighting the system.
swd12422 is online now  
#63 of 93 Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 AM
 
vbactivist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemango View Post
So could the girl?

The inequality is that currently one parent is allowed to force parenthood on the other parent. Or, one parent is allowed to decide to terminate a pregnancy even if the baby is wanted by the other parent. Like w/ the OP, one parent is allowed to sign the other parent up for a lifetime of financial & emotional committment, a choice that she had the right to decline for herself.

Not sure how you're gonna fix that one, though, cause the baby is housed in her body and our society right now gives her the right to decide what to do with that baby. It's an unfair deal for the guy, though, you have to admit.
Right - but I don't hear of many women raping men. Or Maybe the girl wants a baby - so why would she say no? I'll teach my sons not to have sex unless they are prepared for a child. Period.
vbactivist is offline  
#64 of 93 Old 10-28-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Tradd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
I was thinking paycut too. Why is it illegal?? Things are tough all over and lots of people are getting reductions in pay/hours w/o having to lose their jobs completely. Is he paid hourly, so that he can just reduce his hours? That would reduce his take-home without affecting his pay rate. (And it could give you some extra help at home, too.)

Sorry you're going through this. I wish there were a more simple solution than fighting the system.
Illegal because it'd be done *specifically* to get benefits (food stamps and whatever else) back after they were lost due to the pay increase.

lady.gif
Tradd is offline  
#65 of 93 Old 10-28-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, everyone

We had a talk and as it turns out, he couldn't take the paycut anyway because he still has to pay the extra $100+ for his insurance which he is required by law to have. We wouldn't be able to afford that otherwise.

It looks like there is not much solution, so I'm hoping that now that my daughter is getting older and is needing less and less time with me during the day, I can see if I'm able to work more hours than I am now. We'll see how it goes.

I was hoping there was someone in the government I could appeal to about our income to get help, but I guess it's a pretty dead-end road. I'm going to have to do some thinking outside the box to figure this one out. We can do it!

Mahalo nui loa!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#66 of 93 Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 PM
 
MangoMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry. I'm in Hawaii too, on O'ahu, I wish I could help you or advise you in some way. And you're right, where you are on BI really isn't that bad a COL actually.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

 
MangoMommy is offline  
#67 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
I'm sorry. I'm in Hawaii too, on O'ahu, I wish I could help you or advise you in some way. And you're right, where you are on BI really isn't that bad a COL actually.
My husband is looking for jobs on O'ahu, but only government jobs. If he had one paying 60-80k, which is what they offer, we could afford to live there AND pay off our debt in just a few months which would be beyond awesome.

But yeah, I love how cheap it is here in Hilo. Everyone keeps telling me we should move because the cost of living here is so high. I'm like "really? I pay $500 a month to rent this house and we don't have to drive much anywhere and we have practically no electric bill because we don't need to heat or cool the house." I think people only think it's expensive because they've only been to Honolulu or Maui and they see the high prices in all the tourist shops and think everything must be like that. They don't realize that people who live there don't need all of that touristy stuff. We used to live in Texas and it is WAY cheaper to live here. It's amazing.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#68 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 02:02 AM
 
MangoMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh good luck to your husband on his job hunt. It does suck...most jobs are here on O'ahu and we have a higher cost of living. Costco is great for saving on groceries but yikes, rent and mortgages are HUGE here!!!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

 
MangoMommy is offline  
#69 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
Oh good luck to your husband on his job hunt. It does suck...most jobs are here on O'ahu and we have a higher cost of living. Costco is great for saving on groceries but yikes, rent and mortgages are HUGE here!!!
I know! I've seen the crazy prices! I showed a friend a little rental out there and she said "$2000 a month for THAT? I wouldn't pay that for a mortgage!"

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#70 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
 
dovergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you find odd jobs for cash where you can bring your daughter? Not ideal, I know but just something to help get by until your hubs get a better job. Cleaning, cooking, yardwork or running errands for older people who, by the way, would just love to visit with your daughter might bring in enough cash to help you get by. Tough situation, mama. Good luck to you.
dovergirl is online now  
#71 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovergirl View Post
Can you find odd jobs for cash where you can bring your daughter? Not ideal, I know but just something to help get by until your hubs get a better job. Cleaning, cooking, yardwork or running errands for older people who, by the way, would just love to visit with your daughter might bring in enough cash to help you get by. Tough situation, mama. Good luck to you.
I already do work full-time with my daughter. When I have to go out on jobs, I get to take her with me too so I really love my work I own my own company. I do business solutions for small businesses which also includes local photography. I do professional photo shoots of properties for overseas investors and also vacation rentals for the locals. It pays pretty well, but business is slow now because of the economy

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#72 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 06:03 PM
 
dovergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sound like a great business for Hawaii! I certainly didn't mean to minimize your work, I was just brainstorming for ways to bring in extra cash. If business is slow, you might need to "fill in the cracks" per se. Working with a toddler is not easy and I applaud your initiative.
dovergirl is online now  
#73 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Treasuremapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Before you go bankruptcy, check out the forums over at http://www.creditboards.com/mambo/

There is so much good information there. I stumbled across it when searching for information on mortgages.
Treasuremapper is offline  
#74 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
Before you go bankruptcy, check out the forums over at http://www.creditboards.com/mambo/

There is so much good information there. I stumbled across it when searching for information on mortgages.
Thank you! I will go check it out.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#75 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
 
Paxjourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PNW USA
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
Thanks, everyone!

No, there is no possibility of filing for bankruptcy. We've already considered that many times over the years. For one thing, the debt is for supposed child support, so they will not take it into account with the bankruptcy. Also, we do not have any money to pay a lawyer. None. Nada. Not one dollar. I know it's easy even for poor people to come up with that kind of money, but for us, $1000 may as well be a billion dollars. I barely make that much a year.

Thanks, though
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
I already do work full-time with my daughter. When I have to go out on jobs, I get to take her with me too so I really love my work I own my own company. I do business solutions for small businesses which also includes local photography. I do professional photo shoots of properties for overseas investors and also vacation rentals for the locals. It pays pretty well, but business is slow now because of the economy

I think that its wonderful you have a job that you love and that you can bring your daughter with you. I think alot of people have offered alot of good ideas. I think looking into finding a second job for one of you would be a good idea, the suggestion of odd shifting was a good one thus not having to pay for childcare. You stated that you barely make $1000 in one year. Honestly that means your job is more of a hobby than an income maker and you need an income maker, looking into something that will give you an INCOME at this time would help make ends meet.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Paxjourney is offline  
#76 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxjourney View Post
I think that its wonderful you have a job that you love and that you can bring your daughter with you. I think alot of people have offered alot of good ideas. I think looking into finding a second job for one of you would be a good idea, the suggestion of odd shifting was a good one thus not having to pay for childcare. You stated that you barely make $1000 in one year. Honestly that means your job is more of a hobby than an income maker and you need an income maker, looking into something that will give you an INCOME at this time would help make ends meet.
The issue with the job thing is that I can make more money at my job, it's just that I have a little girl to take care of. Even if there was a job I could get (and believe me, there is not - there are no jobs here. You have to create your own if you want a job in Hawaii) I'd not be able to raise my daughter and I'd be spending that extra money on childcare anyway. I think this really is the best way to do it. There's no reason for me to get a job outside the home making just a little more money doing it and then have to spend all that extra on childcare. I'd rather raise my daughter. Raising my children myself is my #1 priority right now, especially since there is no acceptable childcare where we are.

Aw, crud, plus I forgot that if I make any more money than I am now, my daughter loses her Medicaid and I'd have to pay an additional $200 a month to put her on either my or my husband's insurance. Dang! I'd forgotten that one. Plus, I'd have to buy a car to get to said job and then I'd have to commute to it every day and you do not even WANT to know what the cost of gas is here. The car would also require insurance payments.

It's a pickle to be in, to be sure, but at least I'm very very lucky that I can raise my daughter myself.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#77 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 PM
mtm
 
mtm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you posted some budget numbers, we may be able to offer budget help. If you post general income and bills, we may find ways to help you cut.

Is there any possibility of appeal with WIC and medicaid? Would involving your state/fed representative help with an appeal?
mtm is offline  
#78 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
 
Mandynee22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
We had no idea how the system worked. We paid all her child support for years. We kept all the copies of the checks. We were told by the state that legally, that was ALL we had to do. His ex threatened us to never have children of our own and when she found out I was in the hospital with an ectopic pregnancy, she called and said we had to be punished. She lied and told the state my husband had never given her anything in child support and claimed we owed her $20k. DH had his hearing thinking he was so smart because he had copies of everything we paid her. The state looked over the paperwork and then essentially told his ex "you know, this isn't considered legal child support if you claim it was all just 'gifts.'" That's it in a nutshell. They didn't give us any way out. There are no words to describe how I feel about the situation.!
I hate to be the one to say it, but that's child support 101. They will tell the NCP right off at the court house "DO NOT give cash, checks, money orders or anything else to the CP because it will not be considered child support payments and will not be counted towards what you owe- no matter what the memo line might say"
That sucks that she's so... vindictive :-(
I hope you find a way out- I don't have one. The divorce idea sounds like it might work but if you still live together and whatever social programs your using finds out... well, it might NOT be a good idea after all

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
Mandynee22 is offline  
#79 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 10:05 PM
 
Paxjourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PNW USA
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
The issue with the job thing is that I can make more money at my job, it's just that I have a little girl to take care of. Even if there was a job I could get (and believe me, there is not - there are no jobs here. You have to create your own if you want a job in Hawaii) I'd not be able to raise my daughter and I'd be spending that extra money on childcare anyway. I think this really is the best way to do it. There's no reason for me to get a job outside the home making just a little more money doing it and then have to spend all that extra on childcare. I'd rather raise my daughter. Raising my children myself is my #1 priority right now, especially since there is no acceptable childcare where we are.

Aw, crud, plus I forgot that if I make any more money than I am now, my daughter loses her Medicaid and I'd have to pay an additional $200 a month to put her on either my or my husband's insurance. Dang! I'd forgotten that one. Plus, I'd have to buy a car to get to said job and then I'd have to commute to it every day and you do not even WANT to know what the cost of gas is here. The car would also require insurance payments.

It's a pickle to be in, to be sure, but at least I'm very very lucky that I can raise my daughter myself.
I do understand about not wanting to have your child in daycare (thats why I thought the odd shifting was a good ides that way your DD stays with daddy etc) Also I totally understand the fine line between making to much to qualify and not making enough for anything else. We spent the first few years of our marriage that way, thankfully DH was in the military and we had healthcare coverage. Hopefully as your daughter gets older you can grow your business more.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Paxjourney is offline  
#80 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxjourney View Post
I do understand about not wanting to have your child in daycare (thats why I thought the odd shifting was a good ides that way your DD stays with daddy etc) Also I totally understand the fine line between making to much to qualify and not making enough for anything else. We spent the first few years of our marriage that way, thankfully DH was in the military and we had healthcare coverage. Hopefully as your daughter gets older you can grow your business more.
That's the outside-the-box thinking I'm working on now - how to get her to entertain herself more so I can get more work hours in. That's my new strategy this week - come up with enough ways to keep her entertained so I can get work done!

I can probably work on the laptop outside while she plays. She loves going outside. I'm thinking of coming up with some new games as well. Maybe I can look for one of those kiddie pools on Freecycle and she can splash around for a few hours in the shade while I sit "poolside" and work. We'll see!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#81 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
 
sehbub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Back in the bush...
Posts: 10,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you considered getting a neighborhood (I don't know what you're living environment is, maybe there's a teen nearby) teen to come over after school as a Mother's Helper so you can get some more work done? My BFF had one for quite a while when she was in a serious financial crises and needed to WAH more, and the teen (and her parents) agreed to use the time as community service hours for college applications since she wanted to go to school for early childhood education. Maybe there's a community college near you that would have early ed majors looking for experience working with kids?

If your DH is covering your DSD on his insurance already, wouldn't he have a family plan? I know our insurance cost doesn't fluctuate when we have more kids, a new deductible is just added for that kid.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
sehbub is offline  
#82 of 93 Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
Have you considered getting a neighborhood (I don't know what you're living environment is, maybe there's a teen nearby) teen to come over after school as a Mother's Helper so you can get some more work done? My BFF had one for quite a while when she was in a serious financial crises and needed to WAH more, and the teen (and her parents) agreed to use the time as community service hours for college applications since she wanted to go to school for early childhood education. Maybe there's a community college near you that would have early ed majors looking for experience working with kids?

If your DH is covering your DSD on his insurance already, wouldn't he have a family plan? I know our insurance cost doesn't fluctuate when we have more kids, a new deductible is just added for that kid.
We live in the middle of nowhere in the country, but as luck would have it, we DO have a teenage girl next-door-neighbor who LOVES my daughter, but she doesn't get home from school until my husband gets home from work, so I end up just having him watch her, anyway

In Hawaii, employers are required to provide insurance for their employees, but my husband does not get the choice of which provider he gets. The one he has charges per person, so there is no family plan. He would have to pay for each child and ME as well and I cost even more than a child. I imagine it's the insurance company's way to make back some money they lose by providing cheap insurance to all of the employees, but I'm not sure. Don't even get me started on how much I dislike insurance companies.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#83 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 AM
 
Leta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ishpeming, MI
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking about this awhile.

I fell in love with a father, too. It was my incredible luck that DSS's mother is a good woman. DH was giving her money, but nothing was ever done thru the courts. What happened to the OP's DH happened to my uncle, and I told DH he had to stop. We talked to DSS's mom, and told her that we had to go thru court. She didn't want to (she had her reasons), and we agreed that we will pay for DSS's college in lieu of CS (that's on lockdown, thank God). There but for the grace of God go I...

I would try getting in touch with Glenn Sacks. He may be able to give better help or advice, since he deals with this sort of thing specifically.

The only thing I can think of is countersuing your DSD's mom. That's what my uncle did, and it sort of worked. He sued her for harrasment, emotional distress, defamation, etc, and won enough of a settlement to get her to back off the CS claim and they just called it a draw- she never paid him, and he never paid her any more.

OT, I would love to hear more about living cheaply in HI. DSS is determined to move there, so DH and I are determined to help him out. Any info appreciated!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Leta is offline  
#84 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
OT, I would love to hear more about living cheaply in HI. DSS is determined to move there, so DH and I are determined to help him out. Any info appreciated!
OT still, but you would love it here If you want to live cheaply in Hawaii, the windward side of the Big Island is the place to be. Jobs are nil here so either bring your work with you or plan on starting over. It took my husband over a year to find a job. Don't bring anything with you. Sell everything that you own and just start over.

For jobs, avoid anything of the "hippie" nature. We're all hippies here and unfortunately they all come over with a mind to be a massage therapist or jewelry seller or artist or belly dancer and it just won't work out. It's a very small town. Think small town in the country in the middle of nowhere. The jobs are going to be relatively the same. Almost all of the jobs are of the physical labor variety. There's big business for contract labor and construction.

Also, if you or your DH are in the medical industry OMG WE NEED YOU SO BAD! We don't have enough doctors and nurses. If you have the training, you can get a job here so fast! They will probably pay for your move out here. They were talking recently about starting some kind of residence program for doctors to entice them to come live here. I think they were wanting to give them a free house just to come work at our hospital.

Good luck You'll love it!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#85 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UPDATE!

Hubby got the info today and as it turns out, the insurance rate hike isn't going to affect us. (WHEW!) You have no idea how relieved I am. All that hubbub and worry over nothing. Still, we have to deal with losing the WIC and my insurance, but I talked to the Medicaid office and they told me my daughter can stay on it. I won't be insured anymore, but I'm much more worried about her.

THANK YOU THANK YOU whoever is out there was listening to my prayers

Now, to figure out how to get more hours of work into a 24 hour day

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#86 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Leta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ishpeming, MI
Posts: 3,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mama, that's great news about the Medicaid! You might try talking to the WIC office- our ladies are great, and I know that here, you can keep WIC if your DC gets Medicaid.

I am pulling for you.

Thanks for the HI info. Actually, DH is a cook- technically, he's a chef and butcher, and is in the process of becoming a master baker. I, OTOH, have a BS in Community Health Ed, and am planning on going back to school Jan 2011 (I have a 3 yo and 4 mo right now!) to get my LPN. Even if I had to get my RN in order to find a job, that's doable, only two more semesters. So I could find work. But if you are out in the country, I suppose a food person would have to commute a ways to work, huh? Thanks again.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Leta is offline  
#87 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
 
BJewels79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, if your daughter is on Medicaid she automatically qualifies for WIC.

I know a solution seems to have been found, but have you ever considered working online? I am an independent contractor doing it, but I have a (very legitimate) job making excellent money. I can work 10-30 hrs per week. All from home online. Just an idea to look into!
BJewels79 is offline  
#88 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Thanks for the HI info. Actually, DH is a cook- technically, he's a chef and butcher, and is in the process of becoming a master baker. I, OTOH, have a BS in Community Health Ed, and am planning on going back to school Jan 2011 (I have a 3 yo and 4 mo right now!) to get my LPN. Even if I had to get my RN in order to find a job, that's doable, only two more semesters. So I could find work. But if you are out in the country, I suppose a food person would have to commute a ways to work, huh? Thanks again.
No, you don't have to commute at all We just choose to live out here because we are renting a house from my friend's parents. Most people stay down in the Puna area but the commute is crazy and gas costs too much. You can find a place to rent in Hilo that's affordable and you won't have to drive so far to work in Hilo.

If you can do anything healthcare wise, you should be able to find a job here no problem. Our island is clamoring for any help we can get. It's been getting worse and worse. My husband had to go to the emergency room a few nights ago and when we got there, there was only one nurse on staff who could help us and ONE DOCTOR. There were so many sick people and only one doctor in the whole hospital. It was so sad

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#89 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
amberskyfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJewels79 View Post
Yep, if your daughter is on Medicaid she automatically qualifies for WIC.

I know a solution seems to have been found, but have you ever considered working online? I am an independent contractor doing it, but I have a (very legitimate) job making excellent money. I can work 10-30 hrs per week. All from home online. Just an idea to look into!
I DO work at home online I run a graphic design company. The problem isn't finding a job, my issue right now is trying to find more hours in the day to work because I have a toddler Lately, I've been staying up rather late to get work done. I'm hoping that as my daughter is getting older, she will be able to entertain herself more and I can take on more clients.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
amberskyfire is offline  
#90 of 93 Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 PM
 
enfpintj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJewels79 View Post
Yep, if your daughter is on Medicaid she automatically qualifies for WIC.

I know a solution seems to have been found, but have you ever considered working online? I am an independent contractor doing it, but I have a (very legitimate) job making excellent money. I can work 10-30 hrs per week. All from home online. Just an idea to look into!
OT, but can you talk about what you do or pm me. Thanks.
enfpintj is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off